ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Engine Coolants

Hey guys. I noticed my coolant level is getting to the low point, so I am going to need to refill it soon.

Being I bought my bike used, I do not know the type of coolant that is in the reservoir presently, so I will need to flush the system since it is good habit to not add different types of coolants to each other.

I was wondering if you guys have a preference on which coolants to use?

I checked the service manual and it did specify certain specs for coolants to use, so I am not exactly sure what to buy.

Based off the wiki:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ling_system%3F

It states I would need to add a 50/50 mixture and that the type of anti freeze needs to be ethylene glycol? Are most coolants sold premixed?

Thanks for the help.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Not sure if this will help as I don't know much about it but...

Based on recommendations for what is required at the track, I switched to using Engine Ice over a year ago and haven't had a problem with it.

When I took my bike in for service, I requested Engine Ice be used. Instead I ended up with something pink (Engine Ice is blue). Not to long after I got my bike back, I started noticing the pink stuff was sprayed all around the cap. Cleaned it up and the pink stuff did it again, it was almost like it was boiling over. I flushed the entire system of whatever it was and went back to using what worked for me.

Just my experience, YMMV
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Teh_K
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

The wiki should have almost all the info you need - most green coolants are ethylene glycol, I believe, but check the bottle. If you don't get pre-mixed (or pre-diluted), dilute it 50/50 with distilled water only.

I like to use OEM coolant, but that's just me.

If you're gonna flush the system, run a batch or two of straight distilled water (fill it up, run it, drain, repeat). Then fill up w/ the green stuff. Also, make sure you burp/bleed the system of air before you finally cap it.
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I would go ahead and flush it if I were you. I bought my bike used in September and flushed it with Honda coolant I think
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Just don't mix the two coolants. Ethylene and Propylene are the 2.

Factory/stock uses ethylene. Engine ice is propylene. You can throw Propylene down the drain. Ethylene is toxic.

Other than that you can't stuff it up.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Interesting responses so far.

Everyone likes to use whatever products they like. As far as me and coolant on a street bike, I use the same stuff I put in my car. Normally whatever brand that is on sale late summer. 99% of the time, it's the green stuff (ethylene). They sell it 2 ways, straight and premix. Around my parts, most coolants are still sold straight and will need to be mixed. You can buy the premix if you want but your paying for 50% water. That aint my thing.

Overall, I think you been pointed in the right direction so far. Flush and fill with whatever you like. Brad is right, it's kinda hard to mess up, aside of not burping it.

Unless you bike is stored in a controlled climate over the winter, stay away from Water Wetter (pink stuff). It offers no extra "antifreeze" properties.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #7
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it

Old March 11th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #8
kennetht
ninjette.org member

I am looking to change my coolant this weekend. Going to flush the whole system a few times since I do not know what coolant is currently in there.

So I am going to go to pepboys to pick up some coolant. Not set on any specific brand, but just to confirm, I can get any 50/50 mixture coolant?

There is no difference between a cars engine coolant, and a motorcycles engine coolant (antifreeze) correct?

Only thing I have to make sure is that the coolant is approved for aluminum cooling systems?

Old March 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #9
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetht View Post
I am looking to change my coolant this weekend. Going to flush the whole system a few times since I do not know what coolant is currently in there.

So I am going to go to pepboys to pick up some coolant. Not set on any specific brand, but just to confirm, I can get any 50/50 mixture coolant?

There is no difference between a cars engine coolant, and a motorcycles engine coolant (antifreeze) correct?

Only thing I have to make sure is that the coolant is approved for aluminum cooling systems?
My opinion to your 3 questions is yes, yes, and yes. Modern coolants are made for aluminum engines. I would by the concentrated coolant (instead of the 50/50) and mix it myself, as that's less expensive. I use the green stuff in my bikes and most of my cars. (Orange is used in one of my cars).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #10
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
My opinion to your 3 questions is yes, yes, and yes. Modern coolants are made for aluminum engines. I would by the concentrated coolant (instead of the 50/50) and mix it myself, as that's less expensive. I use the green stuff in my bikes and most of my cars. (Orange is used in one of my cars).
thanks for the recommendation. i appreciate it.