ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 20th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #1
BOH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250r

false neutral.

Its my first week riding my 2010 ninja 250. I bought a second hand one with 5000 k's on it. So far im really happy with it. Since I have never driven a manual car i think i was a quite abusive to the transmission and the clutch during my first days and recently i found out that sometimes i can put it my bike into the neutral while im between 2nd and 3rd gears (found out accidently when came to a stop and thought i was in first gear though i was in second. I pushed the shift lever half way up. Then i released the clutch and the bike didnt stall and i only realised what i did when the neutral light didnt came up.) im just wondering if something can be wrong with my transmission since as far as i know i shouldnt be getting this kind of false neutrals. Or i am just paranoid?
Thanks.
BOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #2
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

these bikes come with a positive neutral finder, when the bike is at a stop u just have to go up half gear and ur in neutral.
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #3
BOH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcalhoun View Post
these bikes come with a positive neutral finder, when the bike is at a stop u just have to go up half gear and ur in neutral.
yeah but the problem is that i somehow managed to find neutral between 2nd and 3rd gear and the indicator didnt light up.
BOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It happens, even on other bikes. All you can do is shift harder and completely.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

there is neutral between every gear on every bike. But only between 1st and 2nd gear is made that way it is a little harder to shift past neutral.
Actually it is preety logical... Engine cannot be in two gears at same time... This would seriousli dammaged it... So there is a little space between each gear

and welcome to the forum
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ftr, when you get a false neutral, pull the clutch in and get it in a gear asap, then go about you riding like normal. False neutrals can sometimes fall into gear and if the engine is revving at all for whatever reason, that can be bad when it suddenly grabs a gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

It happens. Nothing is wrong with the bike. Not to sound like a dick, but you just need more practice shifting I think. You'll get the hang of it. If it makes you feel any better I've been on motorcycles for 14 years and I still screw up my shifting more often than I'd like to admit. We all do it.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the shift pattern star at the end of the shift control drum in these bikes (most street bikes, to be honest) is rather round and while making it easy to shift, makes it easy to get stuck between gears. they make aftermarket stars that have a steeper slope and make it harder to get stuck between gears, but it also makes it require more pressure to shift.

though, you can overcome most shifting problems by correcting technique or adjusting the shift lever.

Old July 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Ftr, when you get a false neutral, pull the clutch in and get it in a gear asap, then go about you riding like normal. False neutrals can sometimes fall into gear and if the engine is revving at all for whatever reason, that can be bad when it suddenly grabs a gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very true.

Practice shifting using your ears and exact timing to match gears inside the engine.
Try not to learn wrong practices that you will need to erase just to re-learn the proper way (if you are serious about riding).

Manipulate the shifter and the clutch with resolution and all the way.
While upshiting, give the driving gear a little time to slow down and match the speed of the next step up.
When downshifting, blip the throttle in order to speed up the driving gear and match the speed of the next step down.

Downshifting on a curve has a caveat: keep the rpm's correct (higher than in upper gear) to accept the lower gear.
The sudden resistance to rolling, may make the rear tire skid sideways, unless you clutch-out slowly enough to harmonize rpm's.
Unless the engine's rpm's are intentionally increased, the inertia will make the rear wheel slowdown (while trying to speed up the engine).

Some helpful threads:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=downshifting
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Wow.
That just happened to me today. It went into neural with no light between second and third. You guys explained it perfectly. Thank you, I was two days away from worrying enough to take it in.

Life is good again.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nah you're good.

All bikes do it. All riders do it. Makes you happy no one can see your face under your helmet because it always makes you
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote