ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old June 14th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #1
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

(semi)Project Bike - '86 VFR700F

Between the property and medical settlements from insurance, I came out financially ahead on my recent crash, even after replacing gear. I also have too much time on my hands. So I decided to pick up something that needed some work, and use the money saved there for repairs and really good insurance. Learned my lesson nearly getting screwed over once, thank you very much.

So I trawled local craigslist and ended up picking up a cheap old '86 Honda VFR700. She ain't the prettiest, all kinds of cosmetic damage, but the title's clean, and the only functional part that's misbehaving is the starter solenoid - which is like a $10 part. So over the next few days/weeks/months, I'll be swapping that out to get her starting (already runs like a dream once she's going), cleaning her up, and (probably) fiddling with her far more than I should.

I loved the 250, and I'm gonna miss her. But holy **** this thing is fun. I can do highway speeds in second gear what the ****.
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPlatypus View Post
Between the property and medical settlements from insurance, I came out financially ahead on my recent crash, even after replacing gear. I also have too much time on my hands. So I decided to pick up something that needed some work, and use the money saved there for repairs and really good insurance. Learned my lesson nearly getting screwed over once, thank you very much.

So I trawled local craigslist and ended up picking up a cheap old '86 Honda VFR700. She ain't the prettiest, all kinds of cosmetic damage, but the title's clean, and the only functional part that's misbehaving is the starter solenoid - which is like a $10 part. So over the next few days/weeks/months, I'll be swapping that out to get her starting (already runs like a dream once she's going), cleaning her up, and (probably) fiddling with her far more than I should.

I loved the 250, and I'm gonna miss her. But holy **** this thing is fun. I can do highway speeds in second gear what the ****.
Great bike (for an antique). I have a 83 VFR750F. I bought it new in Germany and raced it. I only lost one race, ran out of gas. Stupid! I still love riding it and it's almost like new (kinda).

Old June 14th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #3
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Great bike (for an antique). I have a 83 VFR750F. I bought it new in Germany and raced it. I only lost one race, ran out of gas. Stupid! I still love riding it and it's almost like new (kinda).
Yeah, I've heard nothin' but praise for them. It only has 16k miles on it, too, so I should be good for quite a while before I start having serious issues.

Old June 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:

Excellent choice. Once you get 'er running and cleaned up, I bet you'l be very happy. I was actually a salesman for Honda back in '85-86 when those came out, and I can tell you I loved those bikes!
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #5
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Excellent choice. Once you get 'er running and cleaned up, I bet you'l be very happy. I was actually a salesman for Honda back in '85-86 when those came out, and I can tell you I loved those bikes!
Well you'd have to say that if you were selling 'em, wouldn't you?

Really though, I'm already thrilled with her. Once that solenoid gets here and I have her insured, it'll be hard to get me off of her.

Not sure I can properly call myself an ex-ninjetter, though. Only thing mechanically wrong with the old bike is the handlebars got misaligned. So once I straighten them up and add some mirrors and front turn signals, I have a rat bike 250 that I can abuse just as much as I want. Though honestly, I'll probably sell her cheap (or just give her) to a new rider who needs something to beat up, instead. If you know anyone in the LA area who wants something to learn to ride on, let me know.

Old June 14th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Well you'd have to say that if you were selling 'em, wouldn't you?

Really though, I'm already thrilled with her. Once that solenoid gets here and I have her insured, it'll be hard to get me off of her.

Not sure I can properly call myself an ex-ninjetter, though. Only thing mechanically wrong with the old bike is the handlebars got misaligned. So once I straighten them up and add some mirrors and front turn signals, I have a rat bike 250 that I can abuse just as much as I want. Though honestly, I'll probably sell her cheap (or just give her) to a new rider who needs something to beat up, instead. If you know anyone in the LA area who wants something to learn to ride on, let me know.
*cough* trackbike*cough*
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #7
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

All I see are words! No pics!

Congrats though.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 15th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #8
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
*cough* trackbike*cough*
If I could afford track days, I'd be all over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh2jz View Post
All I see are words! No pics!

Congrats though.
I have persistent lack-of-camera syndrome. I'm gonna be picking one up soon hopefully, to jury-rig as a riding cam, so hopefully I can get y'all some pictures

Old June 15th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
If I could afford track days, I'd be all over that.

I have persistent lack-of-camera syndrome. I'm gonna be picking one up soon hopefully, to jury-rig as a riding cam, so hopefully I can get y'all some pictures
Cameras are overrated. Draw a picture.