ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Old February 28th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #1
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

WTB: Full leather race suit

hey guys, trying to buy my first leather race suit so I can safely do canyon runs and whatnot. let me know if you have an old or used leather you'd be willing to part with. i'm 5'7 and 138 lbs, i think i fit in between a 36-38 US and 46-48 euro.
fresh face is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have a red and white fieldsheer suit that should fit you that you can have. bobby has it right now, i'll see where its at.

Old February 28th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #3
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Canyon runs? Take it to the track! Also make sure you have a back protector in that suit and proper riding boots and gloves.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Alex!

46-48 aye? You ever tried on a suit? I am thinking your 42UK tops.

@choneofakind What size was yours? Your about his size.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #5
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Canyon runs? Take it to the track! Also make sure you have a back protector in that suit and proper riding boots and gloves.
i was at cyclegear yesterday, and tried on Dainese and Alpinestars jackets in size 48, and they fit perfectly. I forgot about the back protector though. 48 jacket was comfortably snug, 46 pretty tight but still wearable. Would I need to move up to a 50 if using a back protector?

Old February 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #6
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Alex!

I have not had the opportunity to actually try on a full suit yet.

Old February 28th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #7
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Depends on the size of the back protector. Some are more slim than others, and some cover more or less of your back. When you get to buying a back protector, check the CE rating, as some absorb way more impact than others.
I'm a fan of Forcefield and Tryonic, though I don't yet own the former. Even among these two brands, different models will take up different amounts of space.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #8
slolee
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki ninja 250r (sold), 2008 Triumph speed triple, 2004 Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki 2006 kx65

suit size

Another way to figure this out would be to go to the track and talk with someone who is about your size. Find out what suit and what size he's wearing and what he likes/dislikes about it. Also where he bought it. You are going to want to wear a nylon undersuit so the race suit will slip on/off easily. Also, decide whether you want a 2 piece or 1 piece. I would check websites where the racing clubs post. WERA is a good one. Good luck.
slolee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #9
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

+2 go try on some suits, your best fit would probably be 50euro/40us but different brands vary in size.
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Welcome Alex!

I just got home. I can check for you and get back to you later.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Mine is a size 40 Speed and Strength Triple Crown suit. I'm really impressed with the build quality and the fit. Great suit for the money.

Old February 28th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Wow, I didn't realize we were the same size chone! My suit is a size 40UK and it fits slightly loose without my icon vest and perfectly snug with it. Can't wait for spring so I can get some real use out of it hahaha.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 09:16 AM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^^dude, I'm 130-ish and a hair under 5'10". I'm a lean string bean because of my cycling and running obsession and my recent dabble into swimming. I don't float very well though.

My suit is a nice snug fit. Not quite a race fit, but a little more snug than a relaxed street fit. It's pretty great for me. I can't say enough how impressed I am with the 'bargain' suit from SS. It even came with a CE spine protector that stays in the right place!! Only thing it doesn't have is hip armor (but there's pockets for it).

Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:47 AM   #14
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

anyone have any input for the Alpinestars Carver suit? Is any entry level suit from alpinestars/Dainese/Sidi/etc. (higher end brands) worth the price? or do the lower end brands suits have about the same quality?

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:11 AM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^^dude, I'm 130-ish and a hair under 5'10". I'm a lean string bean because of my cycling and running obsession and my recent dabble into swimming. I don't float very well though.
I'm a hair under 5'10" and I'm barely 10lbs heavier than you hahaha. Growing up near the beach getting me to learn how to swim well was critically important to my parents. I can't imagine you'd have many places to swim other than swimming pools though which are pretty boring compared to the ocean.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:26 AM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh face View Post
anyone have any input for the Alpinestars Carver suit? Is any entry level suit from alpinestars/Dainese/Sidi/etc. (higher end brands) worth the price? or do the lower end brands suits have about the same quality?
At some point, all you're paying for by buying an entry level 'high end' suit is the name on the chest and fun colors, IMHO. I'm not sure many of the entry level fancy brands include spine protector and they still cost more than other options that include more armor from the start. I'm not entirely convinced the price is justified, but then again, I might be missing something

Take a look at SS gear and compare the stitching and layers and fit and I'll think you'll stop looking at suits as 'high end' vs 'low end' and just comparing quality vs price. Can't get much more bang for the buck straight off the shelf than a SS suit, no matter what price bracket you're looking at. I know I am impressed with their entry level Triple Crown as a street/trackday suit, @csmith12 has been very impressed with their nicer Twist of Fate 2.0 suit as a more serious trackday-only/race suit. Compared to more expensive brands, I think the quality is all there, without the 4-digit price. Maybe you'll want to upgrade the armor if you go track-only and are serious about it, but it's a great place to start and the quality is there in the seams and layers.

I hope that helps a little. I know Chris has more experience with more types of suits than I do, so he should be a little more helpful.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I have worn many suits in my search to find what I liked. They all have their pros and cons. (cut, breathability, thickness, materials, ect.. ect..) I break it down into the fit w/ features that I am after, I also factor in any armor configuration options that may be needed and can't forget about budget as a large factor.

I like a*. I have had a couple of their suits and put them all to the "test" , and they did their job. Is the Carver worth the extra price? Maybe, if it has the fit, protection, features, feel and appearance you're after.

Are there cheaper suits that have the same quality or dare I say better quality? I think so imho. Spartan is another great example of bang for buck (cheaper) with equivalent quality and more features. You might also want to have a quick look at Teknic as well (fyi, those are cut for you skinny guys ummmm, I mean for those who are racing sized ). What extra features are you wanting out of a suit? Would you consider a 2 piece suit?

I assume from your op, you're not opposed to a used suit. Also, keep an eye on the WERA classifieds for deals on high end gear.

ps... Have a peek at the links at the bottom in the "similar threads" section.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:02 PM   #18
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
I have worn many suits in my search to find what I liked. They all have their pros and cons. (cut, breathability, thickness, materials, ect.. ect..) I break it down into the fit w/ features that I am after, I also factor in any armor configuration options that may be needed and can't forget about budget as a large factor.

I like a*. I have had a couple of their suits and put them all to the "test" , and they did their job. Is the Carver worth the extra price? Maybe, if it has the fit, protection, features, feel and appearance you're after.

Are there cheaper suits that have the same quality or dare I say better quality? I think so imho. Spartan is another great example of bang for buck (cheaper) with equivalent quality and more features. You might also want to have a quick look at Teknic as well (fyi, those are cut for you skinny guys ummmm, I mean for those who are racing sized ). What extra features are you wanting out of a suit? Would you consider a 2 piece suit?

I assume from your op, you're not opposed to a used suit. Also, keep an eye on the WERA classifieds for deals on high end gear.

ps... Have a peek at the links at the bottom in the "similar threads" section.
grazi

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #19
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

good gravy, has anyone seen this? im tempted to get it and paint my dual sport helmet the same color! anyone feel me on this and know what im getting at???

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=11682

Old March 6th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #20
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

went and tried on suits today with and without back protector. definitely a size 38. Cycle gear had a Dainese Laguna seca perf'd suit for $800. I want to buy it so badly.

Old March 6th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Get five inches taller and 60lbs fatter and I'll give you a great deal on a suit
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #22
fresh face
ninjette.org newbie

need opinion please! Here are my options right now: I can get a regular Laguna seca for $515, pretty much brand new which you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGD533Xf9Z0

Or i can get the laguna seca pro (basically just more stretch panels, better shoulder sliders, and d-skin leather) for $872. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlaBQIvKvI

the pro looks better, probably more comfortable, and will probably last longer due to "d-skin". but $872 is a lot of money (for me). Is it worth it to just go for the steal on the regular laguna seca, or will i regret my purchase and wish i bought the better one? FYI the suit will be used to canyon carve, track days, and my 200 mile a day commute everyday.

should i cheap out considering the price is so good?

or go with the better looking more expensive one?

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #23
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

Just get the Laguna.
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote