ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Gaaldornick
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

New to forums and motorcycles, but need help with tach issue :(

So hi everyone!

I am new to the forums, but I did look at the wiki and browse all the similar threads I could find for the issue and I am just not sure what to do (and don't have a ton of money to fix the issue!)

My brother purchased a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250(r?) with something like 2,000 miles on it I think. He drove it maybe 1-2 dozen times and one of those times he said he redlined it and when he did the tachometer stopped working. Now when it's turned on it looks like it moves a TINY TINY (really tiny) bit then does nothing the rest of the time it's on. The engine sounds fine and everything runs great but the tach doesn't move. I tested the battery and voltage is appropriate (something like 12.8v)

I am really unsure what to do at this point, my thought is go to a motorcycle shop, but the ones near here charge $70+ an hour just to look, and I can't afford extended "looking" sessions to find the problem. Trying to get a head start on it if I must bring it in.

and to clarify, after breaking the tach, my brother sold me the bike for cheap, thus I now need to fix it
Gaaldornick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Steven! Someone should be able to help with your issue. I would start by ensuring the battery terminal connections are clean and tight.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Gaaldornick
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Steven! Someone should be able to help with your issue. I would start by ensuring the battery terminal connections are clean and tight.
I checked them when I tested the voltage, and they seemed tight and were quite clean. Thanks for the greeting, and I do hope someone can help!

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Welcome.

I would look up the wiring diagram and find the color of the wires associated with the tach, then trace them from the gauges to their destination - which I believe would be the coil - looking for loose connectors or broken wires. An Ohm meter could also help if you have both ends of the wire accessible. A break in the wire would give you infinite resistance.

If that all checks out, it would suggest a mechanical problem with the tach itself. In that case you could start disassembling it, but chances are it would be more of an internal issue that would require replacement.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Gaaldornick
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Welcome.

I would look up the wiring diagram and find the color of the wires associated with the tach, then trace them from the gauges to their destination - which I believe would be the coil - looking for loose connectors or broken wires. An Ohm meter could also help if you have both ends of the wire accessible. A break in the wire would give you infinite resistance.

If that all checks out, it would suggest a mechanical problem with the tach itself. In that case you could start disassembling it, but chances are it would be more of an internal issue that would require replacement.
Alright, I will give that a try tomorrow when it's light out

Any other things it could be? Also, from experience does anyone know what I might be looking at price wise for this sort of problem?

Super appreciate the advice so far!

Old November 12th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you don't need the tach anyway.

welcome aboard. have fun and be careful. don't forget to take some training.

Old November 12th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Gaaldornick
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you don't need the tach anyway.

welcome aboard. have fun and be careful. don't forget to take some training.
Aye, I take safety seriously, I did take a 2.5 day safety course in IL to get my M class. It seemed pretty helpful and informative

I know I don't need the tach, but I do like my things in proper working order.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 12th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #8
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

Hey bud, if you wind up needing a tach I have one :-)
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Cat-Man
ninjette.org member

Name: Enrique

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 1974 RD350, 1996 CBR1000F

I have funky intermittent odo myself on an 08. Also have checked cleanliness and used a DVOM on terminals, looks good. Tach: usually works. Speedo: Rarely works Fuel: Sometimes. I suspect some moisture may have gotten in at some point but what I am seeing may be simply UV degrading on the exterior. I suspect the temperature is involved, it seems if it is too hot or too cold it is more likely to occur. The needles pop up "randomly" as I ride usually, although sometimes even with 30-40 minutes of hard riding I get nothing. I have heard if it does turn out to be the odometer the parts inside those are fairly standardized and rebuilding either yourself or sending it out may be cheaper than a replacement, then again, that is just from vague memory. Good luck with yours, I'll post If I ever get around to using the volt meter and wiring diagram to really check things out.
Cat-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If I'm not mistaken, on your model there is a main wiring connector under the tank that the wires for the gauges use. I believe that the connector can corrode and cause issue like you are having.

Might be worth a look (or a search for more info).
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #11
Cat-Man
ninjette.org member

Name: Enrique

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 1974 RD350, 1996 CBR1000F

Thanks I'll check this out.
Cat-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2014, 03:22 AM   #12
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome, it might be easier to replace it. You could use this as an excuse to upgrade or contact this guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
Hey bud, if you wind up needing a tach I have one :-)
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #13
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Welcome, it might be easier to replace it. You could use this as an excuse to upgrade or contact this guy...
It just sold on ebay, sorry about that!
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Man View Post
I have funky intermittent odo myself on an 08. Also have checked cleanliness and used a DVOM on terminals, looks good. Tach: usually works. Speedo: Rarely works Fuel: Sometimes. I suspect some moisture may have gotten in at some point but what I am seeing may be simply UV degrading on the exterior. I suspect the temperature is involved, it seems if it is too hot or too cold it is more likely to occur. The needles pop up "randomly" as I ride usually, although sometimes even with 30-40 minutes of hard riding I get nothing. I have heard if it does turn out to be the odometer the parts inside those are fairly standardized and rebuilding either yourself or sending it out may be cheaper than a replacement, then again, that is just from vague memory. Good luck with yours, I'll post If I ever get around to using the volt meter and wiring diagram to really check things out.
I have had moisture/condensation affect the tach but the odometer and speedometer are mechanical and should be unaffected.

The speedometer cable is probably not threaded into the gauge correctly. It can be pretty difficult to get the cable threaded. It sometimes feels like it is threading correctly even when it often isn't, which makes it stop without being fully inserted. Also check to see if the cable is broken inside the sheath or the pickup gear. If you are missing a spacer or something on the front wheel you'd probably have a more serious problem, but check to see that the speedometer pickup gear is notched into the fork like it should be.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #15
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

The tacho will go loopy (bouncing all over the place) if the negative/ground is not properly connected. You'll also keep losing spark momentarily - check the battery connections, tighten with a spanner/wrench and the check the earth connection to the frame.

My tacho just sits at 0 until I rev the bike a bit of give it a tap... it's only recently developed this issue
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #16
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
My tacho just sits at 0 until I rev the bike a bit of give it a tap... it's only recently developed this issue
I got a stickytach (sticky tack?) as well. I'm gonna give it a little silicone spray lube because I planned to go spelunking in my gauge cluster anyway. I'll let you know if I break it or if it works.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

A dead battery will make the tach go loopy too. Both times I've had to bump-start the tach would stay pinned at one end until I reached a certain RPM and it would suddenly pin at the other end. Once charge levels returned to normal the tach settled down.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote