ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #41
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs and can't gain weight no matter what I eat. I've recently taken off fast/junk food off of my diet and haven't lost weight but feel a lot better. I used to run 2-3 miles a day and want to get back into fitness in general. Planning to get back into it with some mild weight lifting for the next couple of months before committing to a leather suit.
I have done this 3 times in my life now. At age 15, I was the poster child for 98lb weakling. It took me 1.5 years to pack on 50lbs of lean muscle working with the owner and chief designer of Hammer Strength. (Gary Jones was his name if your interested.) By week 4, I was sooooo sick of eating but kept at it to end weighing in at 150lbs and with 3 ex girlfriends that couldn't deal with my mood swings. After that, I didn't do much but stay active to maintain what I had. I have gained about 25lbs of fat over the past 5yrs. Working at a candy company and getting older didn't help either.

I was you 5yrs ago. The last time I did this I put on 10lbs of muscle while reducing my body fat to about 13%-15%. I said in another thread: "Iron bodies are made in the kitchen not the gym". Get a diet plan and stick to it like religion. To gain, you simply have to take in more than your burn off. But do it in a way that reaches your goals and not stores the majority of of excess as body fat. And remember, you want some amount of fat (4-8%) to be a healthy person.

It may take some trial and error to find what works for your mind, body and life schedule but keep at it. If it was easy, everyone would be super fit. It's hard but you can reach just about any fitness goal as long as it's realistic. I am reminded the secret sauce to this is to find something "that inspires you" and use it to get motivated.

And like you, I am worried how my leathers will fit at then end of this.

It's not my weigh in day, but another -1.3lbs off the scale. 170lb's yea! Under 3 months in and I am almost in the best shape of my life.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #42
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Trivia time....

Hammer Strength equipment is made in Falmouth KY. A little KY town where I live. I trained their for 3rs while I was in high school, then later became an employee. Where I then trained for another 5yrs while putting myself through college. Sadly it was bought out by Brunswick and I no longer have access to their equipment or facility.

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #43
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I have also learned that you can over-train. Which cuts like a knife into your goal of gaining. Take the rest days to actually rest and super concentrate on your diet that day. I can't stress enough how important rest really is. There will be no gains with only 5hrs sleep each night.

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #44
sneakyraffki
You Mirin?

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
your statement is incredibly false. meats do give you LDL (bad cholesterol), that's basically ALL that's in it from a cholesterol standpoint. That's the type of fat that's in meat; it's what makes the animal fat, it's what will make you fat, and it's what can clog your arteries. Yes, you can spend a lot more on super lean cuts of meat, but lets be honest, when you're eating significant quantities of meat to "bulk up", you buy the cheapest crap you can find, like your reference to a mcdonalds hamburger above... Fish, nuts, whole grains, etc. will give you GOOD cholesterol, not red meat/chicken, etc.

The "ripped" look that you think women like, is not a very healthy lifestyle, nor is it indicative of a fit person, it merely shows that they can lift weights. I think you'd also find that a leaner toned guy is more attractive to women than a big bulky guy who cant touch his own shoulder because his bicep is too big. The OP seems to want to trim down and tone up, not bulk up. Heavy weight lifting isn't the answer.
not sure if trolling or srs.

clearly you're very opinionated on being a vegetarian and toning does not exist. if you believe toning is like what they show in fitness magazines where you just lose bodyfat and BOOM you got a six pack, you are horribly wrong. Most of those men pack on pounds by EATING EXTRA calories then they take a before picture. Before their next shot or "after shot" they EAT LESS CALORIES (most of the time a HIGH PROTEIN LOW CARB DIET) putting their body into a state of ketosis, to lose fat and take the after picture. Companies like P90x use this method. Funny thing is most of the people they use all have been training for years with weights and cardio.

The TRUTH is if you want to lose weight WORKOUT (lifting and cardio), and EAT LESS.

Thats why I put the example of the Mcdouble, as long as hes still eating less then 3000 or less calories and working out he will lose weight... Or "tone up"

Cause eating less is more realistic then saying only do vegan, only do juice diets.

and to think lifting heavy makes you bulkly.. wow...just wow..

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by sneakyraffki; January 8th, 2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: 2013, lifting heavy makes you bulk? wut mate?
sneakyraffki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #45
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyraffki View Post
not sure if trolling or srs.
yea, you're 8 posts in, and I'm the one trolling.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #46
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
yea, you're 8 posts in, and I'm the one trolling.
You are not trolling yet. Keep eating your stuff. Don't be so persistent in your claims that it's the best thing in the world.

This may sound a bit ignorant, but it seems some of you guys have forgotten how to cook. McDonalds and chicken salads? Seriously, when was the last time you ate something that was cooked for 2 hours? Try it sometimes. It is actually similar to tracking your bike - it opens a completely new world in front of you.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #47
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

The human body is a very mysterious machine that no one has yet to completely figure out. And what works for one, may not work for another.

[for me]
When I lift, I lift heavy and to failure but don't get too bulky. I do mix it up every now and then too. Sometimes on my weak muscles, I will bust out 7 or so sets of lower weight. And part of that is my attitude. If I am going to do something, I am going ALL IN. Anything less than 110% is not acceptable.

I eat a good mix of meats, fish/seafood and cheeses for protein sources and a fair share of carbs too. Each meal is about the size of my fist. I try only eat the carbs about an hour or so before the workout and scale them back when I am not going to be needing a ton of energy at hand.

I love veggies in just about all forms too. Last night I had grilled asparagus with shaved almonds & honey with stew meat (beef) slow cooked for about 8 hours. A little more fatty than my normal meal but a nice change.

I could eat McDonalds and such and just burn it off on the treadmill but that takes to long and slows down the process when compared to a better diet with the same amount of exercise effort.
[/for me]

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #48
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

what works for me is a reduced calorie high protein diet coupled with workouts that exercise groups of muscles. my strength improved greatly from swimming, judo, and kettlebell exercises. they improved my explosive power as well.

haven't tried dirt bikes yet, but seeing that race video the other day made me a believer.

Old January 9th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #49
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
You are not trolling yet. Keep eating your stuff. Don't be so persistent in your claims that it's the best thing in the world.

This may sound a bit ignorant, but it seems some of you guys have forgotten how to cook. McDonalds and chicken salads? Seriously, when was the last time you ate something that was cooked for 2 hours? Try it sometimes. It is actually similar to tracking your bike - it opens a completely new world in front of you.
Every night

And I hope you're not referring to me with the chicken salad... Because if you are, you need to open your mind on what home made chicken salad with roasted veggies entails.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #50
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
After reading this BS from all you healthy, toned, ripped, buff know it alls, I think I'll go back to the beer and pasta diet and just ride more.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #51
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
After reading this BS from all you healthy, toned, ripped, buff know it alls, I think I'll go back to the beer and pasta diet and just ride more.
I'll drink to that. Sounds like a lot more fun, too.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #52
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Sorry CC but this point of view is just as narrow minded and more of the same BS we all have been throwing around in this thread.

And for those who have no dirt bike or have no place to ride it with enough frequency to actually see results?

Last futzed with by csmith12; January 10th, 2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: grammar

Old January 10th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #53
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
That what I already do but it's run, bike, and ride

If you can go find a hard Enduro, those will burn a couple calories
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #54
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Suffered first real setback.

Fractured my right pinky finger at TKD class. Tip* Don't block a jump 360 hook kick with an open handed block while standing your ground. The next day, pulled muscle in lower back, right side. Most likely due to crappy grip on the weight bar. So it's been a week of handicapped exercises but the plus side is I am focusing more on legs until finger is healed up.

No change in weight on the scale but down to 9.7% bf and the wife is down 3 pants sizes. So life is good for now, just in time to buy race parts. hahahahaha Yea, I am playing the system, you know it.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #55
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

^ Man if you were closer I would make you my workout partner ha. Last time I cut I lost most of what I gained bulking and my body fat didn't seem to drop much below 15%. I looked pretty cut except my obliques wouldn't change much for some reason. This year I'm going to lift just for activity and gain a little weight and remain where I'm at body fat wise (or less would be ideal)..Not sure how well that'll work .
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #56
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
^ Man if you were closer I would make you my workout partner ha. Last time I cut I lost most of what I gained bulking and my body fat didn't seem to drop much below 15%. I looked pretty cut except my obliques wouldn't change much for some reason. This year I'm going to lift just for activity and gain a little weight and remain where I'm at body fat wise (or less would be ideal)..Not sure how well that'll work .
In case you missed my post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I have also learned that you can over-train. Which cuts like a knife into your goal of gaining. Take the rest days to actually rest and super concentrate on your diet that day. I can't stress enough how important rest really is. There will be no gains with only 5hrs sleep each night.
It took me some time to get the workout schedule vs diet vs rest right in order to sustain weight. I still mess it up often because of diet, specifically not getting enough calories. I also had to cut some of the intensity out of my cardio.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #57
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Yeah I saw your post I was just basically saying I'm doing the same thing with trying to find a good balance between everything. Definitely takes a lot of patience.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #58
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Tip* Don't block a jump 360 hook kick with an open handed block while standing your ground.
hahahahahahaha nice. how long have you been training? 360 flying hook is not a common kick even in tae kwon do. also maybe just take a step back next time :P

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #59
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Also, don't try to block when you weigh half of what the person doing the kicking does.
I'm trying to pick up some kicks for fun, but man does my flexibility suck. Also, being sick knocks out that whole gain weight thing.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #60
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
hahahahahahaha nice. how long have you been training? 360 flying hook is not a common kick even in tae kwon do. also maybe just take a step back next time :P
First time was from age 13-16, found girls and motorcycles and quit. lol Started back 8 years ago with my kids.

Here is the short story on my finger and standing my ground. lol

So I am watching an old kung fu flick. And there is a scene where a cocky china man said "you will never break my horse stance" and blocks everything thrown at him. Even when he gets hit he holds his ground and just stomps. So that is what I did, sure everyone was laughing, including me. It was supposed to be all in good fun and not end with a busted digit. Next time I do that, it will be all closed fist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Also, don't try to block when you weigh half of what the person doing the kicking does.
I'm trying to pick up some kicks for fun, but man does my flexibility suck. Also, being sick knocks out that whole gain weight thing.
I had 40lbs on my sparring partner this time. And my flexibility is slooooooowwwwwlllyyyy getting better from the yoga but still sucks.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #61
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yoga sex is the best way to get flexible. trust me on that one.

Old January 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #62
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Here is me and my son (12yrs old) sparring. Not to bad for a kid vs a full grown adult.

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #63
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
aww i miss the days of full contact olympic fights... btw are you left handed? i'm right handed but favor my right side in front. the kid looks like he has the right instincts but closes his eyes too much maybe... maybe just the big hulk he is fighting :P

have you done much work with joint locks? i found learning some hapkido and judo really helped counters and taught me a lot about defensive guiding as opposed to outright blocks. i only spent a few years with hapkido but i think it taught me the most about actual defense... TKD is great against people on horses though! LOL

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #64
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I am right handed but do a lot of tkd stuff with a left preference. No clue why?!?!?!!

And yep, he still has much to learn, now that his is a black belt, I can teach him the ways of the ninja. lol I think he is right on the edge of maturity to be able to really handle himself very well against any size opponent but right now he is intimidated by the bigger guys in class. Yea, he takes the adult class.

I am going to let my son finish learning all the black belt form stuff before moving to a different style. I was thinking judo or aikido. Maybe some shaolin because there is a great school close to my house. Or.... Danny Plyler's school is only 7 miles from my house.

I haven't done much else aside of TKD. hmmmmm..... I just don't know.

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #65
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
aikido is a whole lot of fun as well. similar to hapkido actually. i love all the weapons integration with aikido though. my sister got really good with the cane... she keeps one in her car within reach and people think she has a bum leg or something and don't realize she can snap your neck in one blow with it

fun stuff!

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #66
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm right handed but I can shoot with either hand. I not into fighting but I am into winning.

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #67
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I'm right handed but I can shoot with either hand. I not into fighting but I am into winning.
ever learn to hip fire? my brother is pretty good at it but i can't do it for ****.

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #68
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
aikido is a whole lot of fun as well. similar to hapkido actually. i love all the weapons integration with aikido though. my sister got really good with the cane... she keeps one in her car within reach and people think she has a bum leg or something and don't realize she can snap your neck in one blow with it
I looked at the cane but ended up doing bo staff instead. Only been doing it for 2yrs so just now starting to see real progress in skills. Weapons take a super long time to master I guess. I want to learn either the 3 section staff or my fav weapon... the rope dart. Insanely hard to master.

Quote:
I feel you there. Since my shoulder injury, I want no part of street fighting. I will just rely on my ccw.

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #69
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I am now strong enough to do this, although my dismount is lacking. hahahahah

We do stuff like this too alex.

Old January 25th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #70
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
oh man that reminds me of a seminar we had... i forget his name ... bruce something... hes certified 8th degree old guy teaches advanced hand to hand combat technique to navy seals... he was there for our senseis 6th degree testing and so he gave some seminars... one of them was gun handling/disarm... SO MUCH FUN! i would probably get shot if i tried it but it was a seriously fun seminar

Old January 25th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #71
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Quote:
We do stuff like this too alex.

Anyone who puts a gun to someone's back like that and doesn't perforate them deserves to be disarmed and shot with their own gun... Of course there's no legitimate reason to do that classic 'Stick 'em up' move anyway. I'd like to start with some Tai Chi training at some point, aside from the flexibility and focus aspects, I am somewhat intrigued by the internal forms vice the more prevalent external ones.

Based on my CrossFit workout this morning, I'd be interested to see if I could pull off the salmon ladder now. I managed 23 straight pull-ups at the start of our Filthy 50s rotation. The wall-balls in the middle were pretty brutal, especially after 50 push-presses. Now if I can just manage to be good with my diet this weekend...

Old January 28th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #72
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I started mountain biking again a couple weeks ago and insanity started tonight. Here we go!
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #73
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
I started mountain biking again
Jealous. I'm separated from my MTB at school. I have my road bike, but I miss the trails.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #74
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Jealous. I'm separated from my MTB at school. I have my road bike, but I miss the trails.
I sold my road bike in 2010 to buy backpacking gear instead. Riding on the road in Conway is scary and I used to do it daily. We are a "bicycle friendly community" in the same sense that Hitler liked Jews. Lol So the trails it is.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #75
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That gave me a good laugh.

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #76
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

3 months in now upon me and finally...... my 6 pack is starting it's come back. Saweeeet! My overall mood is kinda so so now adays. I need to ride soon or imma gunna pop!

+3lbs on the scale for a total of 173lbs with 8.9% bf and still 4 weeks away from cutting. I should be around 165-168 when all this is said and done, which is slightly below my goal of 175. So I am going to have to change something to get to 175lbs.

I tried on my suit, still fits just fine. So far so good and right on schedule.

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #77
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Chris, not for nothing but how about pulling a hood over your face you're scaring the kids. You have the smile of a cereal (not serial) killer. I'm thinking Special K.

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #78
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

lol, point taken

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #79
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
CC

at Chris's face. So cereal.

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #80
nautica
Gixxer Powered

I'm back on track with my workouts and oh how I didn't miss the leg days. Nothing better than walking around like Bubba had his way with you last night.

And nice progress csmith, but if your bulking body fat is 8.9% I can imagine what your at when cutting ha. Think the lowest I ever got was 12% (guessing) so kudos to you.