ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Bastakks
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Oil overfill / color concern

hey all,

I changed my oil and apparently overfilled it, not noticing for about ...two weeks :/. Life super hectic there for a bit, and I should have taken more care. Anywho..

Today, I notice it's overfilled and mocha in color, completely opaque. I used a spray bottle top to pull out the excess oil, which came out to around 500ml..

Thanks in advance. Sorry for such a newb question.

Bastakks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it looks like oil

Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Bastakks
ninjette.org member

thanks for the verification. It was more the color that was a concern, it being overfilled for so long.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Teh_K
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

So, what's the question?

My understanding is that the oil "full line" is at the point where the crank/rods will not dip into the pool of oil as they rotate. So, overfilling is bad because, as the crank and rods turn, they will dip into the standing pool of oil and churn it, creating an oily froth. I suppose this is not great for the oil due to excess shearing(?). Additionally, when starting the bike, the crank has to trudge through cold, thick oil, if it is overfilled. This causes undue resistance/stress to the crank bearings.

Having said this, I don't think 2 weeks is long enough to do any harm. It might be a different story if a bike is ran like this for, say, years.

Again, this is my understanding (which may not be correct). I wish the engineers would get together with the people who write the manuals and explain the reasoning behind some of the rules/warnings.
Teh_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Bastakks
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_K View Post
So, what's the question?
If the color of the oil should be a concern.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Teh_K
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

Ah, sorry. How many miles are on the oil?

If it's 2 weeks of sitting in the garage, I'd expect the color to be similar to new oil.
If it's 2 weeks of riding, then I'd expect it to look like what you have.

Typically, high oil level and 'milky' oil is a clear sign of an internal coolant leak, but I would expect the oil to look more like this:

http://www.porsche928forums.com/images/1.12.2008/7.jpg
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachme...colate-oil.png

Bring the oil down to the correct level (which you've done), and check back after a while. If the level is rising and the oil gets milkier, you might have a problem. If the level stays the same, and the oil just gets darker as usual with use, then I'd say you're fine - the oil is doing its job.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Bastakks
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_K View Post
Ah, sorry. How many miles are on the oil?

If it's 2 weeks of sitting in the garage, I'd expect the color to be similar to new oil.
If it's 2 weeks of riding, then I'd expect it to look like what you have.
It's been two weeks of daily riding. The milky quality is what is troubling me. Thanks for the advice.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastakks View Post
It's been two weeks of daily riding. The milky quality is what is troubling me. Thanks for the advice.
Doesn't look so good to me.

Change the oil and filter and keep an eye on the color.

Confirm that the level in the coolant overflow bottle isn't going down, which would indicate coolant is getting into the oil.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Bastakks
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

Confirm that the level in the coolant overflow bottle isn't going down, which would indicate coolant is getting into the oil.
if coolant is indeed leaking into the oil, what's the most likely cause?

Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Ok, I am fed up with stupid ****ing question at this forum, all stupid questions tbf.

How dumb do you have to be?

The sight glass shows how much oil you have / need, there is no excuse for this.

You are ****ing stupid, may have blown a head gasket, **** me you're a dumb ****, grow some brain cells you moron.

I have had it with this forum, and the ****ing idiots that frequent it.

Bye.

(this may seem harsh, but turning 25, my birthday resolution is to not deal with ****wits)
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Bastakks
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Ok, I am fed up with stupid ****ing question at this forum, all stupid questions tbf.

The sight glass shows how much oil you have / need, there is no excuse for this.

You are ****ing stupid, may have blown a head gasket, **** me you're a dumb ****, grow some brain cells you moron.

Bye.
Thanks for answering. I do understand already it's my own fault for neglecting this so long. We all have to learn at some point. I am just trying to further my own quite limited knowledge of motorcycles. I apologize for ruining your day with my ignorance.

Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:31 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

Bye.

(this may seem harsh, but turning 25, my birthday resolution is to not deal with ****wits)
Settle down - youngster.

I'll be twice that this week. Learn some patience - you'll need it more later.

No reason to go off on him. If you don't want to answer any of these questions just don't click on the thread if you don't think it's worthy.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sam, please excuse Joshorilla. That is NOT the attitude we represent here.

That oil looks like it should for being overfilled or sprayed from a spray bottle, nor does look as if it currently contains any coolant. If you are unsure in any way, there should be a place close to you to have the oil analyzed. Let them know to check for that during their tests.

When you fill your bike with oil. Don't fill it over the sight glass, keep it just below the top of the sight glass. From that point there will be no question as to it's level, over or under.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Teh_K
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

Honestly, it doesn't look so bad to me... I don't see any 'milkiness' in it, but I'm not a pro.

I'd agree about checking the coolant level, tho. Set both oil and coolant levels to spec, and keep an eye on them. If coolant goes down, and oil goes up - you're in trouble. Usually the cause is a blown head gasket, as previously mentioned.

Quote:
That's adorable. Some advice (take it or leave it): Learn to better deal with people you deem "****wits", 'cause they'll be everywhere you go. Happy Bday, btw.

Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Bastakks
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Sam, please excuse Joshorilla. That is NOT the attitude we represent here.

That oil looks like it should for being overfilled or sprayed from a spray bottle, nor does look as if it currently contains any coolant. If you are unsure in any way, there should be a place close to you to have the oil analyzed. Let them know to check for that during their tests.

When you fill your bike with oil. Don't fill it over the sight glass, keep it just below the top of the sight glass. From that point there will be no question as to it's level, over or under.
Thanks for the advice. I understand that Josh's response is out of the norm for this forum, but it is to be expected any time you're talking online.

I'll check around for a place to analyze my oil. I'm tempted to drain it and put a new filter in anyway, something I didn't do last time. It'll be easier to watch the color that way. Any ballpark number for fixing the issue if it is a blown head gasket?

Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:58 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I understand that Josh's response is out of the norm for this forum, but it is to be expected any time you're talking online.

I'll check around for a place to analyze my oil. I'm tempted to drain it and put a new filter in anyway, something I didn't do last time. It'll be easier to watch the color that way. Any ballpark number for fixing the issue if it is a blown head gasket?
Great attitude and tolerance my good man. No clue as to the cost, I normally do my own work, so parts/gaskets and time would be my cost. Maybe someone will chime in soon with possible costs to have a dealer/shop do the work but I normally don't fix problems until confirmed that they really need fixin'.

As of right now, you have no real problem that warrants looking any further until you have a bit more miles on the oil. If you must, do a oil change + filter and keep and eye on it. Let us know what you find or if the bike starts to not act right.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Eliminate some of the guess work next time. The oil capacity is 1.7L. Find an empty 2L clear plastic milk jug or something similar. Use a water pitcher with volume measurements on the side. Fill it to 1.7L, pour that into your milk jug and use tape or a sharpie and mark the top of the water line. Pour the water on your plants and now you have a pre measured oil container that you can use for future oil changes.

Every bike is slightly different though. Mine takes a smidge over 1.7L to get the oil to show up in the middle of the sight glass so I marked a second line above the 1.7L mark. Now, no more guessing how much oil you need to put in.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote