ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 9th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #1
maxreps
ninjette.org newbie

Name: max

Motorcycle(s): none yet

opinions on setup?

*I'll start by saying that I read the jetting database but couldnt find a setup like this one, close but not quite. So don't thrash me for being too lazy to read*

(When purchased it was extremely cold blooded so I knew it was lean. Previous owner had snorkel in and there was no cutout in the airbox. Pilot screws were 2.5 turns out, no needle shims, stock mains and pilots)

Current stats:
2011 model, 900' elevation, Yoshimura slip-on, oem airbox - KN panel filter w/no snorkel and 3x5" cutout on backside, 2 shims, 3 turns out, stock gearing.

I removed snorkel, cutout the backside of the box, set the screws at 3 turns out, installed 2 shims for each needle. It cranks & idles great now, pulls hard up to about 7k then falls flat(regardless of gear). So I know the mains are obviously too small but am looking for opinions. My first thought was 102 mains but am not sure if it will need more after reading about 104s, 108s, etc
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome! Hope someone has your answer soon.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #3
maxreps
ninjette.org newbie

thanks!

Old March 10th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'd just bite the bullet and buy a kit or just buy a bunch of jets. that way, you have a much better idea of what works for your particular bike and can fully optimize its potential for, when you look at what performance mods cost, pretty damn cheap. If someone recommends you a jet, you install it, and it works better, great. but if that were me, I'd be wondering if my bike is being optimized as much as it could be.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #5
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Same thing as MrAtom said, you need a couple lean and a couple rich and compare to see what pulls the hardest up top on your bike then adjust the needle. Not everyone's bike is the same.

Old March 10th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Save $$$ by getting your jets here vs a kit.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 10th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #7
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

If your looking for to get the most out of your carbs install an aftermarket jet kit. Although you raised your needle your still dealing with the factory profile or taper of the needle. If your going with the stock stuff you'll need to richen up the main jet to get it smoothed out above 7k. The Kaw jets and aftermarket jets are different on their sizes so I can't make a recommendation as I am used to Dyno Jets numbers.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #8
maxreps
ninjette.org newbie

thanks folks... Im goin to start with 102s but be prepared to go to 105s

Old March 13th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #9
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

May be worthwhile to look into the Factory Pro Stage 3 kit, believe it has multiple jets. Also, understand that the stock main jets are 98, 102-105 is a relatively minimal change. May need to be in the 108 range. Also if after your jet change you start experiencing long warm up periods, consider changing your pilot jet, to a 40. Have you considered removing air box and going to pods? Lot of work modifying an air box to get more air into engine....just my opinion.

Old March 13th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #10
maxreps
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah, I possibly shouldve gone with 105s to start... I got the 102s for $8 to my door and put them in yesterday. So I'll give them a shot this week after the rain quits. As for the low end, it cranked, warmed up and ran very nicely after opening up the screws and adding washers. It just was starving on the top end.
I did consider pods but when I saw the P.O. had installed a KN, I decided to make use of it but just open the box. Since the internals are stock. I cant see this particular bike need much, if any more fuel on the bottom

Old March 13th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #11
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

You would be surprised the difference in seat feel that pods created. I've had two 250's, first one had K&N filter, snorkel removed, etc...it was docile compared to the current one that has pods.

Sounds like you've read up and done your homework on this, just know that there is a lot of knowledge here if you run into any trouble.

Old March 14th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #12
maxreps
ninjette.org newbie

I was very surprised to see the oem airbox inlet setup. It's anemic to say the least. My initial action was removing the snorkle and adding another matching hole on the opposite side of the box. It looked fine and was basically more than doubling the factory setup. But "since I had it apart" I went ahead and removed most of that rear airbox wall.

Old March 14th, 2016, 05:48 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Combination of what some other people have said.

The only reason to get a jet kit is for the needles, If you knew exactly what needles you needed you could probably get a set for a little over $20 but reading needle #'s can be like reading hieroglyphics, you could give the guy at jets r us a call and see if he can help you out with just buying new needles as opposed to a new kit to save you some $, nothing to lose there.

A kit costs IDK? $70 give or take? you get 2 needles and 3 sets of jets? 4?, so the cost is not that bad but if you get a Factory pro 3 kit, you are just buying the needles because the main jets you get with the kit will all most likely be too big and worthless, Maybe the FP 2 kit? not sure what sizes it comes with? I think the FP 3 kit comes with 110, 112, 115 mains? The 110 is probably the largest you would need (keihin sizes) Probably closer to a 108 or 105 so again all those jets in that kit could be useless to you.

On another note, it is always safer to start with a larger jet and go down vs the other way.

If you jet really lean and go for a ride things can go south with the engine real quick, so typically start rich and lean it out in steps until you find what the bike likes.

IMO the FP needles are better over stock on a modified intake, but if I or someone else wanted to put in some leg work I could probably find a comparable needle that you could buy individually from numerous carb stores and save $

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote