ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #1
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moises

Motorcycle(s): None yet

what do you think of 16yo riding?

So heres my question, what are your opinion's on teenagers getting a motorcycle? let's just say the teen was very responsible and doesn't plan on doing stupid stuff. Also what kind of a bike would you let someone get.. like starting off on an R6 or a GSXR600.

Last futzed with by xMoises831; August 29th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
xMoises831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

First of all... I try not to sit on many 16 year olds, might get in trouble for assaulting a minor...lol. Seriously though, I have no problems with teenagers being responsible... however, putting responsible new rider and R6 or GSX-R 600 in the same sentence... that doesn't necesarily sit well with me.

You are asking this question on a Ninja 250 specific website... I'm sure myself and most others would RECOMMEND starting on a smaller displacement motorcycle for pretty much anyone. Not saying it isn't possible to learn on a supersport motorcycle... but it definitely isn't what I would RECOMMEND
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

My personal opinion is that nobody under 18 should be allowed on a motorcycle on the road. Teens have a hard time driving anything on the road, and to put them on a motorcycle is just an added risk to their undeveloped driving skills.

And even if they do hop on a motorcycle...minimum of 5000 miles on a small displacement bike before even thinking about getting on something bigger.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I thought this was going to be a Chris Hansen thread...dang.

As for age limits, etc...I'm starting to think that kids shouldn't be able to get a license until 18. At 16, that freedom is more than they can handle, as they're still immature. It opens up lots of possibilities to them getting in trouble.

The catch, or exception, might be if they have a job and can provide proof of said job, then they would be allowed a work-only permit.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Moises, with 300+ posts and counting and being a member since Apr., I think you might have seen a few threads regarding this very subject already.

Here is my humble opinion.

If the rider will only ride the bike on a closed course with proper protection. Then whatever.... rock on.

A new driver on public streets should experience the open road from a car for as long as it takes to gain the experience needed to deal with the crazy/unexpected events that occur there.

If that is not an option....

If the rider will be on the street with proper protection then something smaller would fit the bill just fine. It's about acceptable and controlled risk, which is different for everyone.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
A new driver on public streets should experience the open road from a car for as long as it takes to gain the experience needed to deal with the crazy/unexpected events that occur there.
Great point. A "small" fender bender that new driver's have a proclivity for in a car is a bruised ego, a deployed airbag, and raised insurance premiums. On a motorcycle it can be much worse.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I didn't buy a bike until I was 29. I probably could have been mature about it around 25. I think it's different for everyone.

I live in a rural area, so my kids will probably ride as teenagers. However, if I move back to the city I think I'd work with them on waiting until they are a bit older.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

My dad said it well on another forum:

"My 17 year old wants his first street bike. He will buy it if he gets one and it will be a 250 Ninja or CBR. He has raced MX for 9 years and is a far more skilled rider than me and most on this board but he is a 17 yr old boy and rides like one. No way am I allowing him a 150mph bike as long as he lives with me and acts like a teenager. Here is my opportunity to show off a little with one of my favorite older pics of him on one of his older bikes, a RM250:

jmisto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

As much as I wish I had a motorcycle when I was younger, I am glad I waited. I feel as though 18 isn't old enough either, but oh well.
If I had a kid, one who wanted to ride, I'd definitely teach them in the neighborhood or in a parking lot or something at age 16, however I would not get them one/insure it.
Kind of falls into that "you can be as responsible/mature as can be, but that doesn't replace skill," genre. Even if I trust they'd be cautious, they still don't have the experience driving around others and predicting and reacting to bad/erratic drivers.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Both the GSXR600 and R6 are faster than a Ferrari. Would you put a newly licensed 16-year-old behind the wheel of a Ferrari?

They are also considerably more dangerous if you screw up.

At 16 you're still learning. You haven't even fully mastered your muscles yet, let alone your hormones. And judgment? HAH! At 16 you make lots of mistakes. It's part of growing up.

The same mistake that will give you a "moment" on a 250 could kill you on a 600.

I counsel patience. The whole instant-gratification thing that's so much a part of our culture is plain stupid. Nobody ever died by waiting and learning to walk before they run. Lots of people have died by jumping in headfirst.

Riding (or driving) a high-performance machine is something that ought to be earned through experience IMHO. It's everyone's right to ride what they want and I respect that, but to be honest there's much to be said for exploring the limits of a more manageable machine before jumping to the front of the line.

This kid has decades of quality riding time ahead of her/him. There's plenty of time for that 600.

Start small, learn everything you can about riding, THEN get a snarling beast.

If you can't get an adrenaline rush out of riding a Ninjette, you're not riding it hard enough. As modest as it is, this little bike is better than most of us... and unless this kid is a prodigy who grew up riding minibikes, it's for certain it's way beyond his/her level of maturity and skill.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I believe a child should start riding as young as possible. That's what I did and that's what I had my kids do. Master a two wheeler (bicycle) at 2 and on a 50cc at 3. If you are going to be a motorcyclist it is easier to start early (as is most sports).

To start as a teen as is a major disadvantage. I would suggest a scooter first. There is no such thing as a responsible teenager. If there is, they are too causcious (which is deadly) for a motorcycle.

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I'm going to give my input on this topic (but just remember that this is coming from an 18-year-old who started riding street bikes when he was 17). Personally, I find absolutely nothing wrong with it. However, I say this if and ONLY if the rider has had a lot of experience riding dirt bikes in the past. I started riding when I was 8 and have been riding ever since so hopping on a street bike was not a problem for me. At the same time, though, I never ride excessively over the speed limit and I'm always wary of other drivers and situations around me.

If your parents think you're responsible enough to ride a street bike then they are probably right. On the other hand, if they don't think you are I would definitely heed their advice and stay off one until you have further experience on the road dealing with cagers.

Other people surely have differing opinions than mine but I ride as safely as possible and I believe I am responsible enough to own and ride a street bike. This is just my $0.02 though.

Ride safely,

--Nolan
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

@Nolan - Great input!

How would you compare you level of naivety from 16 to 18? Because this is the main issue I have with my kids being out in the big bad world without me to "read between the lines" on their behalf.

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #14
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I will sit on a 16 year old.

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
@Nolan - Great input!

How would you compare you level of naivety from 16 to 18? Because this is the main issue I have with my kids being out in the big bad world without me to "read between the lines" on their behalf.
Well from a teenager's point of view, I've matured a lot since I was 16. I've always been told I'm overly mature for my age since I don't talk a whole lot and prefer to learn rather than socialize but that's beside the point. When I first started driving I was admittedly very nervous to go off on my own so I couldn't imagine traveling the roads on a bike before a car. I think that owning a bike has forced me to mature even more and take in the environment around me as it has shown me how dangerous riding on the street can be. I likely wouldn't have noticed this if I had been in my car and I feel like a much safer rider and driver because of the challenges street bikes face on the road.

Long story short, I think that certain kids are responsible enough to ride street bikes when they are 16 (after having a significant amount of time driving a car) but those kids are few and far between. If my parents had told me that I wasn't ready to ride a street bike I would have heeded their advice since they have had a considerably greater amount of time to experience the road and are more knowledgeable of my limits than I am.

--Nolan

EDIT: I am only basing this off of the terrible driving habits I have seen teenagers in my town perform. I don't mean to sound arrogant and say that I'm a "special circumstance," just that most teens in my area tend to drive erratically and text while driving; therefor, these teens should absolutely NOT be allowed on a a bike as they'll likely kill themselves or someone else.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Grow
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #17
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

lol this is funny i dont want a 600cc sportbike i want a 250 i really wouldnt need anything over 100mph haha I'm just asking because im trying to prove a point. My aunts fiancé was telling me oh dont get a 250 just get a 1000 and just start slow and i was like wtf hell no i want to live not die and i just wanted to know what you guys thought and yes yes i know this is a 250 forum

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #18
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
Well from a teenager's point of view, I've matured a lot since I was 16. I've always been told I'm overly mature for my age since I don't talk a whole lot and prefer to learn rather than socialize but that's beside the point. When I first started driving I was admittedly very nervous to go off on my own so I couldn't imagine traveling the roads on a bike before a car. I think that owning a bike has forced me to mature even more and take in the environment around me as it has shown me how dangerous riding on the street can be. I likely wouldn't have noticed this if I had been in my car and I feel like a much safer rider and driver because of the challenges street bikes face on the road.

Long story short, I think that certain kids are responsible enough to ride street bikes when they are 16 (after having a significant amount of time driving a car) but those kids are few and far between. If my parents had told me that I wasn't ready to ride a street bike I would have heeded their advice since they have had a considerably greater amount of time to experience the road and are more knowledgeable of my limits than I am.

--Nolan

EDIT: I am only basing this off of the terrible driving habits I have seen teenagers in my town perform. I don't mean to sound arrogant and say that I'm a "special circumstance," just that most teens in my area tend to drive erratically and text while driving; therefor, these teens should absolutely NOT be allowed on a a bike as they'll likely kill themselves or someone else.
yeah i see what your saying and i am one of those i would rather learn than socialize type of person as well and sorry for my ****** job at spelling cant concentrate i cut the tip of my nail off yesterday on my bicycle chain i forgot it was on fixed gear and i was lubing it so didnt end very well haha

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
frankly your aunts fiance is a tool and you should not listen to him and o btw u should rly consider using sum punctuation because without it text is really freakin hard to read u no wut i mean lolz ppl stop reading quick when it sounds like ur drooling at the mouth like ur brain damaged and cant be bothered to construct an actual sentence from time to time hahahaha isnt this mode of communication annoying as hell lolzzzz

I'm a professional writer. Been making my living at it since 1983. Keep it up... this is the reason I'm employed.

Just pulling your leg, man. You've got the right attitude... good for you.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #20
wanarace94
The Dark Horse

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r SE, 71 honda Cl100

Im 17 and i never really wanted anything bigger than a 250. Ive always liked these bikes and ever since i was little, ive always loved these. A decent price tag didnt hurt either. Insurance said for my age i couldnt have anything above a 250 sport bike. Thatd what they call it and it didnt matter so my choices were limited. Someday ill upgrade but not soon. Maybe in 5 or more years. I feel the 250 is a nice mix of power and comfort. Thatd just my honest opinion.
wanarace94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Jatan

Name: Jatan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250/300 (some day)

Let them drive a car for a few years when they turn 16 and then consider getting a m/c when they're 18-20 -- start off on a 250 since its more forgiving and has cheaper insurance rates

Old August 29th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #22
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I honestly think EVERYONE should start on a bike & not be allowed drive a cage until they have a year or so on 2 wheels on the road.

You learn very quickly on a bike, there are no other distractions on the bike, nobody talking to you, no way of holding a phone & operating the controls at the same time, no way to eat/drink/shave/apply mascara, read the paper, or use a laptop while on the bike.
I've seen drivers do all the above (One dozy Essex trollop nearly blinded herself with her mascara brush when I beeped her, as she approached a T junction on a curve with neither hand on the wheel, looking in the mirror in her Mini's sun visor )

And it's proven (by a anti biker/safety Nazi EU report) that bikers are safer drivers.

A Gixxer or R6 is not a good starter machine for anyone, a small supermoto, dual sport or a smaller sports bike should be a decent starter.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #23
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
however, putting responsible new rider and R6 or GSX-R 600 in the same sentence... that doesn't necesarily sit well with me.
Amen. Start small. Supersport and beginner are not to be put in the same thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
My personal opinion is that nobody under 18 should be allowed on a motorcycle on the road. Teens have a hard time driving anything on the road, and to put them on a motorcycle is just an added risk to their undeveloped driving skills.
False. Not all teens have a hard time controlling vehicles. That's a large generalization and I'm not sure why you think that.

For example:
I practiced for my drivers test in every vehicle that we owned at the time. My parents would not let me take my test until I was able to *honestly* pass the test in every vehicle we had. This included a manual transmission Civic, a Tahoe, and a Trailblazer. At <16 years of age, I could 1) parallel park all of them, 2) brake at the threshold of locking up the wheels without allowing the ABS to kick in 3) safely control a skid in all of them in snow and 4) back into/out of any spot I wanted. When we got a Sierra, I learned how to do all of that in a pickup truck before I was allowed to drive it. While learning, I completed not only my driver's ed, but also the course with the skid car to practice controlling a car that was sliding

I've also been riding my local MTB trails since middle school, and have been on the road on a road bike since freshman year in high school. That's how I learned to control a vehicle. That's also how I started out my driving career with a healthy respect for the idiocy of drivers on the road, and my situational awareness was already in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
As for age limits, etc...I'm starting to think that kids shouldn't be able to get a license until 18. At 16, that freedom is more than they can handle, as they're still immature. It opens up lots of possibilities to them getting in trouble.
^^ Again with the generalizations. When's the last time either of you were a teenager? You talk about kids like they're the worst. We all were teenagers once. It's a period of your life!

We all learn by doing; by making mistakes. It's better to start when you have some parental supervision and parental input to help minimize the consequences of those mistakes than it is to get a bike when you're on your own at 25 and decide to buy a 1000cc rocket as your first bike.

Yes, new drivers are not experienced, but there are also tons of really aggressive middle-aged drivers who succumb to road rage, lots of soccer moms who aren't paying enough attention to the road, and lots of elderly drivers who can barely control their car in a straight line because they're afraid of driving. Moral of the story, we're all bad drivers for different reasons. Don't hate on the younger drivers simply because you saw some kid do something in a car that you didn't agree with.

It's up to the individual teenager and their parents as to whether they should start as a novice motorcyclist or not. Banning all <18 year old people from riding a motorized 2-wheel vehicle is not productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
The catch, or exception, might be if they have a job and can provide proof of said job, then they would be allowed a work-only permit.
Really? What is this, welfare?

I see no connection between having a job and responsible driving. There is definite trend connecting grades and driving, but not having a job. Most high schoolers with jobs either buy tons of stuff they don't need, save the money, buy a lot of weed, or some combination of the 3. You don't exactly have to be Mr Responsible to find a job as a 16-year-old guy.

A little background here so you get where I'm coming from:
I started riding when I was 17. I got my temps, I took the MSF, then my dad and I started looking for a bike, and we found my '99 in great shape for a fair price. The rest is history.

However, I didn't just go straight to a motorcycle. Like I mentioned before, I started out on a mountain bike in middle school on local MTB trails with my buddies. I learned how to control a 2-wheeled vehicle over lots of different conditions. The I got into road biking and got a feel for the lunacy of the road. Finally I got my temps the day I turned 15 1/2 and got my license asap. I've had one fender bender in a parking lot that equally the fault of both parties involved, and I received one speeding ticket that was also completely my fault. Those are both normal learning driver things to do.

I've held a job at a local business since I was a sophomore in high school, and I have had 2 jobs each summer since then. I payed for my bike out of my own pocket, and I still do.

When I got my motorcycle license, my parents and I agreed on some conditions. Since I didn't ever have my temps when I had the ninjette, we agreed that I would not ride at night, I would stay off the highway, and I would not take passengers. In time, we agreed that those conditions could be lifted one by one and I gained full rights as a licensed motorcycle rider.

I still learn every time I ride. But that doesn't mean that I should not have been on a motorcycle at all for the last 3 seasons. I have over 10,000 miles on my ninja with no plans to "upgrade". As the riders who I've ridden with will tell you, I'm not a slouch on a motorcycle by any means, but I'm also not an idiot. I ride with gear, and with safety in mind. I've never been down because frankly, I'm scared to; I know that eating sh!t hurts (I've got MTB scars and medical bills to prove it) and I ride with that in mind as well.

@csmith12, I agree with Nolan. I think that I am also the exception to the rule because I had some sense of the responsibility involved with driving/riding when I started. I also did mature a lot since I was 16. I'm not going to lie, I did make a bunch of beginner mistakes when I started. I still do on occasion. But I have no second thoughts whatsoever recommending that teenagers get into motorcycling. I think that added dose of "oh crap if I get hit, I'm either going under that car or flying over that car" makes people more aware of the risks of being on the road. I'm a rather vanilla driver because of it. Even my girlfriend and parents have made that connection with my driving since I started riding.

tl;dr don't bash on teenage drivers. Not all of them are bad drivers, and we have to start somewhere.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #24
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I say put them in a Mazda Miata before putting them on a bike. The Miata is the closest feeling to a motorcycle that you're going to get on 4 wheels. You still have a lot of steel around you for protection if you **** can it. This is what I did, along with learning to ride MX bikes at age 7. By age 13 I was on a Yamaha YZ400F and have been doing just fine on it since then. When I was 17 I got my license and my ex let me drive her Mazda Miata a lot, even let me have it for a few days at a time while she was at school. This car is light, maneuverable, small, not very powerful and handles great. It's also VERY hard to see and will teach you very quickly what inattentive nutcases people are on the road. It also teaches you how to drive spiritedly on back roads and the hazards to watch out for there. By the time I was 18 I had my first street bike and I already knew what to be aware of when I was on the road.

Age is no indication of driving skill and maturity on the road. Dumb-asses come in all shapes, sizes, colors and ages from all parts of our world. You cannot avoid them, but you can deal with them and still come out on top.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

I look back at the old car forums I was in when I was 16-21 and reading some of my posts got me thinking. I'm 27. If I had a bike when I was 16 and never rode before, I would not be here now posting this. IF I been raised riding bikes and was taught correctly and practiced safety , then a bike at 16 would be no problem.
I just noticed how bold I was at younger age and taking chances without realizing they were infact, risks.
So even if I said oh I'll respect it and be safe, who didn t at that age??
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Miata's are a hoot.

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #27
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

like some other people already said...yeah id sit on a 16 year old... TONIGHT!!! XD
no thats wrong...but im 22 now got my bike when i was 21 and honestly if i had a bike at 18 id probably would have been done son. Now if i would have been 16 i probably would have been done and taken a lot of people out with me so i dont think 16 years olds should have a bike but i guess it all depends since you cant text on a bike... .
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
don't bash on teenage drivers. Not all of them are bad drivers, and we have to start somewhere.
^^^ One of the smartest comments in this thread so far. Beginning and learning drivers/riders need encouragement and good positive direction. Anything else normally is meet with resistance. You and Nolan seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

I was NOT the exception to the rule lol. If I had a bike at 16.... I wouldn't be here today. I crashed my car on the way to do donuts in a large parking log on the back side of a church..... Let's just say that was the catalyst to where I am today.

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #29
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

I got my 250R when I was 17.

A couple suggestions:
- A MSF BRC is a must
- 250R is the only bike you should start on
Rebuttal in Favor of 600 "But I'm responsible"... No you're not, you're going to speed
- Budget a good portion of money for gear
- Take you're time learning and always go out trying to improve (TWOT2)
- Learn to do your own maintenance, you'll save money and gain appreciation for the bike
- Anyone who says a 250r is a real bike most likely doesn't ride, ignore them
- Insurance, GET IT (ask your parents to put you on their policy)

Theres probably more I should say, but thats all I have for now.

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #30
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

Last time I sat on a 16 year old was the last day I was a TA for a high school...lol jk.

I think that the adult/guardian should make a sound assessment of the 16 year-old's judgement. I've seen full grown adults who shouldn't be allowed to operate motorcycles. So age doesn't really matter.
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #31
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

This happen in my area a couple of months ago...

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/ra...05745932d.html

He was 21 and a West Point Cadet, so I assume he was smart and disciplined. But when you're young, it so easy to feel indestructible. It just takes one small momentary lapse in judgement.

He just bought the new 2012 R6 the day before ...

I don't know his riding history but if you're just learning, start on the 250. You have the rest of your life to learn to ride a 600cc Super Sport.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #32
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

I'd say 18 at the minimum for riding on the street, especially because at 18 you're still learning how to drive and react to situations on the street. As for starting small, I believe in starting with something forgiving that isn't very fast, especially if you've never rode before. With that said I don't think someone needs 10k miles on a 250 to be able to get a 600, it really depends on the person. But riding the 250 is a great idea to really learn how to handle a bike properly since you don't have to worry about grabbing too much throttle/brake and you can really learn how to handle it.
And I've seen people catch on really quick to riding with a few thousand miles and step up and be alright. But I've also seen people who think they can handle their 600 (as a newer rider) yet not really understand that riding is much more than taking a few corners and getting to a destination safely. Just my .02.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #33
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

"where do you guys sit on 16yo?"

Normally I aim for the face.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #34
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMoises831 View Post
So heres my question, what are your opinion's on teenagers getting a motorcycle? let's just say the teen was very responsible and doesn't plan on doing stupid stuff. Also what kind of a bike would you let someone get.. like starting off on an R6 or a GSXR600.
If you can't beat them, get them gear and a good health/life insurance. Then plan on having a busted bike to restore. All this "very responsible and doesn't plan on doing stupid stuff" is bull@#$. I'm very responsible and didn't plan on doing stupid stuff. Did that stop me? No, I still engaged in activities like severe speeding and lane splitting (illegal in TX), I just did it less.
Please please get them a 250 first. It's still cool enough to impress the high school girls, and slow enough to have some slack.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #35
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

CBR 125R,

Tried one in my motorcycle courses (and the CBR 250R), great bike to start with... Enough power at low speed, very agile and even lighter, but can't do much speeding (over 70 mph).

With all the proper gear...

I would want to ride with him too, giving him some tips and cues...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I was NOT the exception to the rule lol. If I had a bike at 16.... I wouldn't be here today. I crashed my car on the way to do donuts in a large parking log on the back side of a church..... Let's just say that was the catalyst to where I am today.
I've seen you ride. I don't doubt that, Mr "DUDE CHECK OUT MY ELBOW!!!! I JUST DRAGGED MY ELBOW!!". Dat sh!t cray

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #37
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMoises831 View Post
.......My aunts fiancé was telling me oh dont get a 250 just get a 1000 and just start slow......
Your aunt's future is not promising at all.........

Regarding previous comments about insufficient maturity:
The minimum age to become a student pilot is 16, having to log several hours of solo flights.
A 17, anyone can obtain a non-commercial pilot certification in USA (16 for sailplanes and balloons).

I would recommend starting up with a 50~100 cc machine and getting familiar with traffic for at least a few months.

A newbie has several challenges to master: the bike, himself and traffic; being the last one the most dangerous.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I would recommend starting up with a 50~100 cc machine and getting familiar with traffic for at least a few months.
Or a bicycle!! The ultimate low-power, low-risk vehicle

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #39
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

@choneofakind
I'm only 23, so I was a teenager not long ago, and I know all about the kinds of stuff kids get into behind they're parents' backs. I guess I'm coming at it from more a morality issue of sorts, versus whether or not they're just as capable a driver as the rest of us.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I fail to see how riding a motorcycle is a morality issue. There's nothing immoral about owning and operating a vehicle.