ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #1
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Hello from New York / PA

Hey everyone, my name's Andrew and I got my license two days ago and I'm picking up my brand new red 2009 Ninja 250r tomorrow night. I'm pretty excited about it.

I'm in Royersford PA for the summer with my dad but then on Long Island New york come September.

I've got a few questions also, starting with...
So I'm picking my bike up at the dealer tomorrow, only problem is it's about 30 minutes away from me, meaning i'd have to drive the bike back, seeing how I just got my license, I'm not sure if im capable of this..
Does this seem like it would present any problems to me? The road is highway 422, and I really havent gone above 18mph in my MSF course but I'm not sure how else I would be able to practice without getting the bike back to my house.

Btw, I found this awesome forum because I'm at work right now and decided I wanted to look up ways to lock up my bike, but i'll ask about that later.
DarkNinja52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

DarkNinja52! Glad to have you aboard...

The first ride home is always exciting, I can still remember mine quite clearly. Odds are you'll be fine as long as you stay careful and vigilant all the way home, but if it does worry you enough that you don't feel comfortable, perhaps the dealership could either deliver it to your house or you could enlist a friend with more experience to help out.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

I was anticipating the ride back from the dealer, but as I get close to actually picking up my bike, I seem to be getting a bit nervous.
I did fine in my MSF course and got my license on saturday, But i haven't been on any roads yet with a bike, just a parking lot... the roads are high way roads, which i feel would be easier than stop and go traffic in a town or something but I'm not sure anymore? Do you think I should try to find a back road? or would the highways be easier despite the higher speeds? I would obviously keep it much lower than the speed limit of course.

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

AJ,

Welcome to the boards.

While we can suggest many thing and many different ways it allllll comes down to what you feel comfortable doing. Everyone has had different experiences. It also comes down to what you have avaliable to you.

If it were me I would see about getting the bike delivered to my home. If they cannot then I would see if someone would loan me a truck or ride the bike back for me. But thats just because right out of the MSF course I know I was not ready to go that fast on the roads.

It seems to me that you need to build up your confidence a bit more so you feel more comfortable traveling at speed. If you can find backroads that don't go that high in speed then I would say do so. Perhaps get some mc friends to ride with you? Just remember to ride your ride, it's yours not theirs.

I would suggest going another slower route than getting on a highway/byway/route etc and driving BELOW the speedlimit. This holds a whole other dangerous situations... I don't trust the other drivers to expect me to be going slower. More than likely you might find yourself rearended because of it.

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

You bring up a few good points, I'll have to look into getting it delivered because I don't know anyone that rides. I just decided I wanted to do it one day and I signed up for a MSF course. So maybe I'll ride it around the area first to see how I feel, and then I'll decide what I want to do. I appreciate the warm welcome and all the help guys (:

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #6
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

If you didn't live so far away from the border I would say I'd come help you out. But PA is big... We do have several PA riders that might be able to chime in with some help/assistance.

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #7
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

You could always rent a pick-up from home depot or uhaul and tie her down in the back - 3 guys can easily lift her into the bed - you'd just have to find a couple to help you out on your end of the trip, as the dealership will have plenty on hand to help! They will also know how to properly secure her in the bed for you

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Thats not a bad idea, to rent a truck from home depot or something.. would that be fairly cheap?

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #9
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

our home depot is like 20 bucks for a couple of hours I think
http://www.homedepotrents.com/truckrental.asp

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I was in the same boat as u when I got my 250...The only time I rode a bike was at the MSF course...I picked my bike up in Des Plaines il, and drove it home all the way to Orland Park il.., I had some 1 follow me in the car to keep people off my ass, and I stayed off the expressway...I think I got up to about 60 mph tops, and I felt like I was going 100....I say do it, plan your route ahead of time, have some 1 follow you...You'll be fine, it'll be a good 1st riding experience....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #11
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Those are some very encouraging words, and I feel like I might regret it if I don't do it. My dad would be following me in his SUV, I'll check for an alternate route to stay off the higher speed limit roads, and I guess I'll make my decision when I get to the dealer and take the bike around the block or something a few times. I'm also gona make sure I know where the nearest home depot is and what time theyre open until. Planning ahead for each possible outcome is probably the best thing I can do for now. I'm still open to suggestions and anymore inspiring words.

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #12
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #13
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

That is quite a welcome

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #14
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I was nervous too for my first ride but once you see how easy the ninja is to ride you'll feel comfortable right away.

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #15
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

I hope soo, i know ill regret not riding it back if i dont do it. How do you like your black 09?
i was considering black but went with red, i'm not sure why but thats what I chose. I can still change my mind but i already bought some red gear so i guess i could still get black and not look like a rainbow.

I think i liked the 08 red better than the 09, but im not sure yet either, the 08 was much brighter/fuller I think.

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #16
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I love black cause i can change my riding gear colors and still match plus i can put any color vinyl or paint to customize it.

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Get back to work or you're fired!

Welcome to the forum and hope you work for dad.

Old July 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #18
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Haha, i do plenty work. I left at 4 to go buy a helmet haha. But my boss really doesnt seem to care , im only interning for the summer and i do tons of work even though he never gives me anything to work on, i just start writing computer programs for all sorts of things they need. I do more than enough work for $13/hr, they run out of things for me to do.

Old July 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #19
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Helo and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #20
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

aloha aj, welcome aboard
my thoughts have been mentioned by several other replys. if dealer can't deliver, consider obtaining a vehicle to bring yer baby home. have someone at the dealership assist you with securing your bike if you do end up getting it yourself. be EXTREMELY careful off-loading as well. the more muscle, the better. if you're using a ramp, careful, that first step is a doooozie.
if you are forced to ride home, consider an alternate route. take your time, and keep your wits about you. be patient and alert, but most importantly...remain calm and relaxed...(don't forget to breathe)
please let us know whats gonna happen ok?

aloha

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #21
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

I just bought insurance, i got my helmet, boots, gloves, and jacket for tomorow, i get out of work at 5, but ill probably be on here during work. around 6 im gona go over to the dealer with my dad , practice riding around the area for a bit, then head out.

Im pretty sure i'm gona ride it back, i really want to and if i don't ill regret it. I need to take that first step forward. If i feel like its too much once i get on the road ill just figure it out from there, but for now, im gona try to commit myself to it because i'm sure i can do it, i think its just a mental battle from here on..

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #22
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

It's all in your head....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #23
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Be safe! I had a friend ride mine home for me, and for that I'm pretty grateful. I hope you find a solution that you're comfortable with. Good luck and congratulations = )

Old July 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #24
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
I just bought insurance, i got my helmet, boots, gloves, and jacket for tomorow, ...
Welcome mate. I highly recommend that you invest in a pair of riding pants and boots, so many people seem to neglect their lower protection and if worse comes to worse, say bye-bye to your ankles and skin on your legs/ass/thighs/knees.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #25
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Thanks guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
Welcome mate. I highly recommend that you invest in a pair of riding pants and boots, so many people seem to neglect their lower protection and if worse comes to worse, say bye-bye to your ankles and skin on your legs/ass/thighs/knees.
I havent bought riding pants, but i am considering them. I've spent so much in the past week that I couldnt afford them and insurance.

and yes, I am at work...

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #26
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

for anyone that was wondering or didn't see my other thread, i rode back from the dealer, used an alternate route, stalled on a hill, but other than that it was all good (:
thanks guys!!!!

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #27
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Glad you and your new bike got home okay = )