ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 28th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #1
Sfor6285
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Hard to start

I just bought a 2011 250r about a week ago. It is really hard to start and takes forever to warm up. I only have 250 miles on it. It makes it really hard to just jump on it and ride somewhere. I have friends with bikes (not 250s) that don't have this problem. I was wondering if I'm always going to have this problem or if it will get better after the bike gets broke in or if there is something I can buy that could help this problem.
Sfor6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

It can be normal for the bike to take longer to warm up than most other bikes because our ninja 250's are carburated in the U.S. unlike other parts of the world and other fuel injected bikes. With fuel injected bikes, the bike automatically adjusts the fuel / air ratio to have seemingly no warm up time. Unfortunately carburated bikes can't auto adjust the fuel / air ratio, therefore it takes time to warm up.

I never wait for my bike to warm up; I either start it and go or just let it run while putting my gear on which doesn't take anymore time than normal. Once you get use to just firing up and going it won't be a problem; or at least it isn't for me. I taught myself how to control the throttle while the bikes warming up so I lose practically no time at all. If you absolutely just can't deal with that then there is a kit that allows you to change over to a fuel injected system but that would set you back around $500-$600 and it takes a lot of know how to install it.

P.s. you can ride the bike while the choke is engaged.

Old August 28th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #3
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i shimmed my bike fairly early on , probably 200 miles on it.. but it started alot easier with the carb shimmed.. most times without even using the choke. if i were you, i would shim the carb with 2 washers and remove the snorkel.. will most likely start alot easier and even run better.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
i shimmed my bike fairly early on , probably 200 miles on it.. but it started alot easier with the carb shimmed.. most times without even using the choke. if i were you, i would shim the carb with 2 washers and remove the snorkel.. will most likely start alot easier and even run better.
+1 I did this and it does tend to start easier; plus it only costs $1 for the washers.

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Are you using the choke lever?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Sfor6285
ninjette.org newbie

Talking

Cool I know how to remove the snorkel. But I don't understand About shimming carbs. Do you know where I can find some instructions or pics would be cool. I've worked on alot of things but a motorcycle isn't one of them.

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Check out the DIY ("Do it Yourself") sticky at the top of the tech section. There are a few great threads on shimming, jetting, etc.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Part and parcel of owning a carbed bike. Starts are harder in cooler weather and if the engine hasn't been run in a few days or more. When you say it's hard to start, is the engine turning over? Normal warm up, meaning warm enough so that you can ride it gently for the first 5 minutes should not take much longer then about 3 minutes or so.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Sfor6285
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Are you using the choke lever?
I'll start it w/o the choke and It will run for a few mins then die. The only way I get it to start then is use the choke. Then I let it run like that till it soundslike it has stopped sputtering. Disengage the choke and it usually runs fine then.

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfor6285 View Post
I'll start it w/o the choke and It will run for a few mins then die. The only way I get it to start then is use the choke. Then I let it run like that till it soundslike it has stopped sputtering. Disengage the choke and it usually runs fine then.
Don't disengage the choke. Just get on the bike and ride with the choke engaged, and turn off the choke only after you've gone a minute or two, and all will be fine. Warming it up while stationary for that long isn't necessary, and it doesn't do a great job of warming it up anyway. Under a light load, everything gets up to temp right quick.