ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

sold bike need advise (insurance coverage etc)

Hi guys,
I am no longer a Ninja owner, I sold the vehicle today. Anyway, I realized I had left the plate on my bike accidentally, I spoke with the buyer they are going to mail me the plate (i trust they will.) The bike doesn't currently run so I am not worried about accidents or tickets, my question is this.
I called my insurance company to cancel coverage, they asked if i turned in the plates to dmv. In new jersey there may be a fine or penalty if the coverage is cancelled first. Well i was planning on buying a bike next season, so wouldnt i keep the plate once i get it back anyway?
So what do i do? Cancel the policy now, keep the plate when i get it back, for another 7 months until i get a new bike?

Wait until i get the plate, turn it in, then cancel the policy?

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
Hi guys,
I am no longer a Ninja owner, I sold the vehicle today. Anyway, I realized I had left the plate on my bike accidentally, I spoke with the buyer they are going to mail me the plate (i trust they will.) The bike doesn't currently run so I am not worried about accidents or tickets, my question is this.
I called my insurance company to cancel coverage, they asked if i turned in the plates to dmv. In new jersey there may be a fine or penalty if the coverage is cancelled first. Well i was planning on buying a bike next season, so wouldnt i keep the plate once i get it back anyway?
So what do i do? Cancel the policy now, keep the plate when i get it back, for another 7 months until i get a new bike?

Wait until i get the plate, turn it in, then cancel the policy?
Once you get the plate back turn it in and then cancel your policy. Start a new policy with a new plate once you buy a new bike.

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
wait for the plate, turn it in, then cancel policy.

There is a fine for having an uninsured vehicle. So if you keep the tag which essentially a registered vehicle as it is tied to your bike but cancel insurance. The DMV thinks you have an uninsured vehicle and if they find out they will slap you with fines and late fees.

Just play it safe, get the plates, turn them in, cancel insurance.

There are exceptions to the rule, like if you have a vehicle that is not operational that you are working on for a long time, you can cancel your insurance if it is properly documented and avoid fines.

I just moved to a new state and need to get my new plates for my bike (will do this week) So I currently have 2 insurance policies. One for my old state and one for my new state. Can't cancel old state policy until I turn in plates but need current state policy to get tags and registration.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Interesting, this varies quite a bit by state. Here in CA, the plate always stays with the vehicle, so I wasn't sure why there was an issue at first.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ Same here

Not sure of your options in NJ, but If KY had that stipulation, I would do the following;

Call insurance co. and drop all road coverage but leave it named/listed on the policy (keeps you legal for less and you insurance don't take a hit either, YMMV).
Wait for the plate (in the mean time, figure out what you will need to do to get a new plate just in case)
Buy new bike
Get coverage for new bike
Get new bike and have DMV attach to new bike
Ride on....

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #6
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

ok i'm going to wait for the plate to come in the mail, turn it in, then i'll cancel the policy. they seem like honest people, im not worried they're going to rob a bank with my plate on another bike. thanks guys, very helpful as always

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

In CT you can put the plate on hold, so when you get it back you can keep the plate and not pay as much when you go to plate your next bike.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote