ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
davisw4089
ninjette.org member

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Proof HD Riders Dont Wave

Okay so First a little background, I am a member of this club thing Called the knights of columbus some of you may have heard of it, if not it is a Catholic Bar. Okay well there are quite a few people who ride HD that are also memeber of this club and a Guy that I know Very Well who rides a HD didn't wave at me today as i rode past him. Of course I was ATG and on my ninja and i know he seen me wave and we were only going 35. So if that is not proof that HD dont care about anyone but other HD riders I don't know what is.

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #2
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Did the guy recognize you? Maybe he just doesn't like you!

I wave at all riders and the vast majority wave back, even Harley guys.

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
kkim

I wave at all riders as well. If they don't wave back, I don't get all butt hurt. I find many types of riders will wave back and again, many types will not. It's up to them... it's their loss if they choose not to be a part of the camaraderie.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #4
davisw4089
ninjette.org member

Probably not but He is a really nice guy. I also wave at everyone but Almost every Harley rider doesn't wave I get the head nod more than anything from them. But oh well at least i have fun waving haha

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #5
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I'm just as happy with a head nod. It's all good.

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I just assume that if someone doesn't wave back, then he/she is busy controlling the motorcycle and are unable to do so.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #7
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Here I find the colder the weather = fewer riders = higher percent of riders who wave.

I wave to everyone from Yamaha Chappies / Honda Sprees to HD dressers. I do refuse to wave to anyone riding a Honda kick n go, however as I wanted one as a kid and never got one. Then again I never see anyone riding a kick n go.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Here I find the colder the weather = fewer riders = higher percent of riders who wave.

I wave to everyone from Yamaha Chappies / Honda Sprees to HD dressers. I do refuse to wave to anyone riding a Honda kick n go, however as I wanted one as a kid and never got one. Then again I never see anyone riding a kick n go.
I got a harley kick in go
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I wave. If I cant wave, I nod. I don't wave to people riding scooters though. Maybe it's just me being snooty, but seriously ride a motorcycle and wear some gear, not a goofy little half helmet thingy and whatever clothes you have on at the moment. There's a few newer bigger scooters around where I live, and the front ends of them actually look like a sportbike fairing if you aren't looking carefully enough. They're trying to camouflage so that I wave to them!!!!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #10
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I usually always wave and receive waves back and vice versa, but sometimes I can't wave! Some times I don't feel comfortable taking my hand of the bars and if can be for a bunch of reasons including maneuvering a turn, coming to a proper stop, or sometimes it's really windy. It's cool to see other people out riding and there is the "jeep wave," but do you wave at everyone in a car? No....but that didn't stop me from giving the peace sign when I had my VW and throwing up the metal horns when I drive my Audi haha.

My dad has a HD and I ride with him often, and I will def own a HD one day, but really don't take it personally or like kkim said it best, get "butt hurt" haha

Be different, mix up the wave...give a salute, a thumbs up, or flip the bird.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #11
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I don't wave to people riding scooters though. Maybe it's just me being snooty
I'm the same way, and I think most motorcyclsts are as well.

Quote:
so that I wave to them!!!!
This has happened to me as well. When I realize what it is, I finish the wave out of being a nice guy, but I'm always looking around to make sure no other motorcyclsts saw me.

As for waving, I do it to every bike I see. Honestly, I couldn't care less if they don't wave back. I just take satisfaction in knowing they're using all their concentration on keeping their Harley on the road.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrande View Post
Be different, mix up the wave...give a salute, a thumbs up, or flip the bird.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #13
bowersox3589
ninjette.org member

Name: Thad

Motorcycle(s): 2008 GSXR 600

My dad and I went riding like two weeks ago and everyone that we waved to waved back except for one guy that was on a zx6. I can't say mean things about harley guys because my dad owns one lol
bowersox3589 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #14
davisw4089
ninjette.org member

Im not hating against Harley riders or complaing at all I Could care less you waves back I just always hear that Harleys Don't Wave so giving my two cents

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #15
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Hell, I will wave at scooters all day long. It has two wheels and it steers the same as a motorcycle. Good enough for me. I will not wave at those damn open top cars with one rear wheel. I think they call them Can-Am Spyders. I will wave at the full dresser trikes. Maybe they have issues. I have a friend who lost a leg in Iraq and he is looking at getting a trike. Though he may get a Can-Am. I won't wave at him then as they aren't tandem motor-powered vehicles.

Maybe I'm just putting too much thought into this. Oh well, it's Spring Break so I don't have to go to work for another four days; I really don't have anything better to do.

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #16
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

One time a grown man on a bicycle waved to me. I just gave him a nod while I laughed. It was so random that I found it to be one of the most humorous things.

I also had a cager wave to me the other day... except it was because he almost t-boned me.

Anyways, I have noticed about an even split of Harley riders wave around here. It seems to be mostly the ones wearing gear.
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #17
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

I guess he was riding with one arm on the handle bar and with a beer mug in another so how could he wave at you?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #18
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I will not wave at those damn open top cars with one rear wheel. I think they call them Can-Am Spyders. I will wave at the full dresser trikes.
What's the difference? Seems silly to be cool with one type of trike and not another. Though I may be biased as I was looking at Spyders for a little while after my back injury when I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to ride again.

I wave at everyone (scooters too!) unless I'm in the middle of a turn or something where I need both hands on the bars.

Biggest wave I've ever gotten in return was from a Harley rider -- vest, cereal bowl helmet, ZZ Top beard, the works. He had a huge shiteating grin and waved with his entire arm, shoulder to hand, like he was flapping for takeoff.

Old April 7th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #19
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The very first day I rode on the street, the very first motorcyclist I passed going the other way, waved at me. I was really confused because I was pretty sure I didn't know any other riders. I didn't know about "The Wave" back then. The rider was on a Harley Davidson.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #20
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Wes, I just posted your thread on every Harley Forum. I included your name and address so they know to wave to you. Harley riders hate to see a grown man cry.

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #21
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

This is amusing. In my opinion and as indicated throughout this thread in general HD (and cruisers overall) riders don't really like rice burners, and rice burners really don't like scooters. The way I remember the older days was the rice burners used to always low hand at other Japanese bikes only, Harleys and cruisers used to flash their lights at each other then head nod, and scooters just got ran off the road.
Now-a-days I do see a lot more low handing between anyone and everyone every day but get plenty of ignores by the older cruisers - I am sure they just want to keep two hands on the bars for safety
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #22
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
What's the difference?
The difference is that one still uses countersteering and the other doesn't. FWIW, I don't consider those Harley trikes motorcycles either. The ones I was referring to are the training wheel motorcycles. They are tandem, but have a wheel on each side of the rear for balance purposes for the rider I would imagine.

Those Can-Ams steer like a car, those Harley trikes may (I don't know for certain). For me that makes it not a motorcycle. As far as the Harley trikes, I will still wave at them. The Can-Ams are nothing more than a reverse three-wheeler. I don't wave at three or four-wheelers either (yes I have seen some on the road, most specifically the Raptor).

I don't wave at people in cars when I am on the bike, and when I'm in my car, I don't wave to people on motorcycles. I will wave at others in GTI's or GLIs, and every once in a while someone in any type of VW will wave, and I will wave back to be polite.

For me it simply becomes a matter of when to stop waving. Otherwise you may as well wave at everyone you pass.

Old April 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #23
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I wave at anything with less than four wheels--including bicycles. I also don't differentiate between bikes. I am happy for anyone who enjoys their ride.

Old April 7th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #24
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I bet he's the kind of guy who steps away from his buddies to say "I love you" to his lady on the phone. He rides a Harley for crying out loud. He's got a macho persona to maintain! I wouldn't take offense. After telling his buds that the bitch complains too much, I bet he'll go home and be her snuggly teddypoo.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #25
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

<-- this should quench your hunger for a wave for a few days.

I never wave at HD riders cuz they look scary with their greesy bandanas and their ugly sleevless vests. I only wave to people that wave to me first. Cuz i'm cool like that...mmmmkay?

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #26
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Maybe he just doesn't like you

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #27
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
<-- this should quench your hunger for a wave for a few days.

I never wave at HD riders cuz they look scary with their greesy bandanas and their ugly sleevless vests. I only wave to people that wave to me first. Cuz i'm cool like that...mmmmkay?
Gives you a wave.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #28
Error_mage
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold), 2001 Suzuki SV 650S

I’ve noted that about 80% of the riders will wave back, the others probably didn’t see me wave or vice versa. I did note that older riders (lots of em ride decked out touring bikes round here) don’t like to wave much, but that’s because they don’t like taking their hands of the bars… least two of them told me so at a light after I tailed them for a couple of miles =P

On another note, followed a HD rider trough some insane twisties today and nearly started scraping pegs just to keep up. Definitely quite the surprise and rather fun once adjusted to the tempo =)

Old April 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #29
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

OK, the waving thing is cool... I mean, sure I wave at all types and sizes and don’t really care...... but damn. Here in the East TN Mountains, if it is a nice day out there are so many bikes that you feel like you in a parade! My destination is pretty much always The Dragon and there are plenty of waves along the way on 321 and the Parkway, but once you hit the curves there is no time for it. I think that for sure the GW's and HD dudes may not be as "wavy" as the other sport bikes I pass but I figure thats like 'Birds Of A Feather'.

Old April 7th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #30
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
To put the wave the to rest for once and for all.

When you wave at another biker it is saying that you love motorcyles and acknowledge others who also ride. To get a wave back is just cordial but not necessary.

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #31
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #32
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
I wave. If I cant wave, I nod. I don't wave to people riding scooters though. Maybe it's just me being snooty, but seriously ride a motorcycle and wear some gear, not a goofy little half helmet thingy and whatever clothes you have on at the moment. There's a few newer bigger scooters around where I live, and the front ends of them actually look like a sportbike fairing if you aren't looking carefully enough. They're trying to camouflage so that I wave to them!!!!
what about my scooter it could give most 250's a run for there money till I hit 60
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #33
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

My favorite story on this topic:

To wave or not to wave?
From Ninja250Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
By Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me, and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me. And by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special.

Retrieved from "http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/To_wave_or_not_to_wave%3F"
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #34
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

99% of the riders wave, throw stix or something here..and i mean why not..we're all riding in the most beautiful weather year round...
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
I'm the same way, and I think most motorcyclsts are as well.

This has happened to me as well. When I realize what it is, I finish the wave out of being a nice guy, but I'm always looking around to make sure no other motorcyclsts saw me.

As for waving, I do it to every bike I see. Honestly, I couldn't care less if they don't wave back. I just take satisfaction in knowing they're using all their concentration on keeping their Harley on the road.
there's actually quite a few scooters in my area... i used to try to wave to them, but after not having a SINGLE scooter wave back, i got tired of it and stopped trying. it seems scooter drivers are much more solitary individuals... or they just really hate motorcyclists... maybe it's a throwback to the mods and rocker days? as a side note i've also never seen a scooter wave to another scooter, so i think they just don't wave... maybe they're too scared to take their hands off the bars! :-P

edit: i'm no scooter hater. first 2 wheels i rode on the street was a 125 scooter!

Old April 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #36
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

Sometimes I dont feel like waving and some days I wave at everything on two wheels and the kids that wave at me. Alot of the ape hangers dont wave around here , and the sweaty fat guys in the german helmets dont wave much either but thats cool with me.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #37
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisw4089 View Post
So if that is not proof that HD dont care about anyone but other HD riders I don't know what is.
That is some fool-proof scientific method right there.

Old April 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
what about my scooter it could give most 250's a run for there money till I hit 60
In a straight line or around turns? I'll still take the ninja.

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #39
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Anyone take a scooter around twisties? It's pretty amazing! They have good acceleration and are really lightweight. I wave at everyone but I find scooters don't wave back either. I guess they need to keep their hand on their brake.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #40
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

is it considered a wave if a CBR600 who i nod at the stop light suddenly revs and raises his left arm in the air? :P ive been sort of challenged to race in a couple of night-time clear road settings, but i kept my 35mph legal speed limit intact