ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

New front fairing?? Need opinions.

So, I dislike riding my bike at higher speeds without some type of wind protection. At anything above 70mph I feel like my head is going to be ripped off. Okay, it's not that bad but my head does start to blow around quite a bit. And the front end just feels light and unstable. I rode my friends 07 2fiddy and realize how important fairings are when you wanna go fast! Haha. So, I have a plan. As many of you know, my bike is kinda cafe racer -ish. I hate the looks of the stock front fairing and do like the looks of cafe racers.

The plan is to get a 1/4th cafe racer fairing. This one: http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Viper-Cla...tegory=1503371 I will paint it white to match my bike and will continue using my 7'' round headlight. I will modify the stock headlight/fairing mount in order to mount the headlight and new fairing which should be fairly easy. If possible I will try and remount the stock gauges but I doubt I will be able to use them. We will see.

My bike:

A friend did a quick photoshop of what my bike would look like with the cafe fairing. Just squint your eyes a little. Haha.

What do y'all think? Should I go for it? I would like some wind protection but I can't go back to stock. I want function over looks, but if it looks good too then that is a plus.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2012, 01:52 PM   #2
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

Link to original page on YouTube.

allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:06 AM   #3
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Bought an older Kawasaki KLX250 fairing/light assembly for a KLR650 I had. Sold the KLR. Thinking about using the fairing with LED turn signals when turning the Ninja250 into a naked bike. Not much wind protection unless a windscreen is added.

Here's a late model KLX:

exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

@exploring/carolina Thanks for your input. But as an owner of a 09 KLX250sf I know for a fact that little wind screen does little for protection. Okay, it pretty much does nothing. Haha. I need to have a windscreen to duck down behind.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:52 PM   #5
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

I would say go for it
1. it will be very useful
2. i will look unique, and personally i think it should look pretty cool.
3. i was thinking about the same when i get my bike, so you will be sort of an example for me hahaha

Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Jono

Finally, someone gave me their opinion. Haha

I really think I am going to order one. If it does it's job I will be happy and I don't see a cheaper way to do it. Plus, I enjoy being creative so trying to make this all work should be fun.

Anyone else have an opinion?? Just say, "yeah go for it" or "no, you're an idiot."

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:40 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Won't provide much more wind protection if you don't ride in a cafe racing position.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If you want honest opinions, I don't like it much. But it's your bike and it's your opinion that matters. Imho, to match the tail of the bike, it needs at least one straight line on the front somewhere.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Won't provide much more wind protection if you don't ride in a cafe racing position.
I ride in a full tuck at speeds over probably 65mph as is, so I am thinking it will provide the protection I need. I could be wrong though.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
If you want honest opinions, I don't like it much. But it's your bike and it's your opinion that matters. Imho, to match the tail of the bike, it needs at least one straight line on the front somewhere.
That's exactly what I want! Haha. Thank you. But don't worry too much about the tail. If this front fairing does it's job I could probably lose the tail and side fairings. Then get pod filters and tidy up the rear.

Look something like this....

But then that might look weird. Ahh. I like my ninja but I think I am trying to make it something that it isn't. The only reason why I was keeping it was for a track day this summer. But I don't think it would be fun to ride without a few mods. Such as a front fairing, better suspension front and rear, brake pads/lines, and new tires. That's a good bit of money. And even then I doubt I will be happy with it. I think it's time for a 600cc. That's my excuse for getting one.

I mean my stock KLX250SF is more track worthy than my ninja. And I can get way better tires! Now I am thinking that if I go to a track this summer I will just ride the KLX and buy a used 600 next winter. Yup, that sounds like a good plan. Haha

Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:13 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You know what might look good your bike now, be inline with your future plans and offer you the wind resistance your after? A windscreen alone, similar to the one in the pic.

Of course that one is small but you get the point. You could also do some of the clear "winter wings" for lower front. Just to the left and right of the headlight. And if you have the paper and local talent, have an image engraved/etched into the plexiglass.

Just tossing out ideas....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #12
fierostetz
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): klr 650, fz1, nighthawk 750, dr650, ex250

the fairing you're thinking about... I have one on my kz1000 and it's between terrible and useless on the wind protection front. It's a styling bit vs. an actual functional fairing. Perhaps check out the mini fairing from laminar (they make the laminar lip) - all their stuff is great for wind protection

http://www.laminarlip.com/lamini.php
it's not terrible looking, and the angle of the screen looks like it'll give you a bit more actual protection. If you need more wind protection, I think you can install a regular lip on top of the mini fairing.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #13
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Look something like this....

I have nothing to add to this thread other than the fact that I think that bike looks effin' sweet.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #14
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
the fairing you're thinking about... I have one on my kz1000 and it's between terrible and useless on the wind protection front. It's a styling bit vs. an actual functional fairing. Perhaps check out the mini fairing from laminar (they make the laminar lip) - all their stuff is great for wind protection

http://www.laminarlip.com/lamini.php
it's not terrible looking, and the angle of the screen looks like it'll give you a bit more actual protection. If you need more wind protection, I think you can install a regular lip on top of the mini fairing.

Thanks a lot for the input. I still don't know what I am going to do but thanks to your opinion I won't be getting the one I had originally looked at. That laminar screen doesn't look too bad and if it actually works then it might be a good option.

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #15
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

+1 on the laminar...I don't like your original pick.
Plus I like the looks w the side fairings vs just seeing the frame. I'd keep them and maybe add a belly piece.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #16
fierostetz
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): klr 650, fz1, nighthawk 750, dr650, ex250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Thanks a lot for the input. I still don't know what I am going to do but thanks to your opinion I won't be getting the one I had originally looked at. That laminar screen doesn't look too bad and if it actually works then it might be a good option.
no problemo - I just recommend laminar stuff because it all works really well. I live like 12 minutes from them so when they release new stuff I go over there and play with it

they make tall and short shields for their fairing; I've never used one, but would vouch for the company in a heartbeat
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #17
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

ok so don't mean to revive an old thread, but @Jono , did you put the fairing on?

Old March 11th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #18
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
ok so don't mean to revive an old thread, but @Jono , did you put the fairing on?
Ah, you're fine.

I didn't. But I might be in the future. If I do, I will get the one that I originally thought would work best. Mainly because it only costs $65 dollars.

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #19
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

awesome, if you do, keep it updated

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #20
j98sprint
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '02 Ninja 250, '98 Triumph Sprint 900, '69 H-D Sportster XLCH 900

Hey Jono. That fairing you're looking at has been around forever. It has a great classic style. With the work you've done on your bike I'm sure you could make it mount and look right.

I say, "Go for it!" I like your style brother.
j98sprint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Jono

Thanks John!

As soon as I have some spare cash I think I'm gonna give it a go. But I am set on upgrading the suspension before I get a front fairing.