ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1
rph12
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Talking Mental prep for my first ride home...

So I'm looking for some advice from people. I am going out to check out my first Craigslist prospect after five months of looking (2005 Dark Blue, has dual Two Brothers exhausts, and a K&N filter...1100? Worth a look at only 5600 miles...). It's been a couple months since my MSF course (which I passed), but I'm nervous about having to ride the thing home. Ok, well not that nervous, mostly just anxious. I have all my gear, but its supposed to be chilly in good ol' Western PA tomorrow and I'm not sure what to expect on the journey back.

Any advice to a new rider out on a nice long 45 mile trip home on his newly acquired Ninja 250? Any *specific* cold weather hints? Thanks for any help!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/2713605661.html

^^^Accepting advice on my decision to pay a visit tomorrow as well...
rph12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Not sure what your riding experience is aside from MSF, but 45 miles for a first real ride ever would seem very very long. Make sure to plan a few breaks to warm up and stretch. If your body is not used to riding you'll be stiff all over trying to get used to the position.

Again, sorry if I understated your riding experience, but just having an MSF class a few months ago doesn't really give you enough practice for all the necessary skills to survive the potential hazards out there. Not trying to discourage you from the ride, just be extra careful out there.

If you have had plenty of experience then I would say just be careful since it's an unknown bike, and make sure to stop and warm up if you start to lose feelings in your fingertips. Dress warmer than you think you need, especially your core, you easily lose 15-20 degrees to windchill at speed. Drive around in your car with the windows down for practice
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:01 AM   #3
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Give the bike a thorough once-over. During my test ride, it was discovered that both tires had only 7 pounds of air in them, so I had to bring my air tank with me when I picked the bike up the next day. And of course that's when I discovered the rear tire had a nail. You're riding a lot further than I did, so check things out first. Oil, tires, chain, brakes, fuel.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Get a good night sleep (staying up until 2AM to post probably doesn't help),
relax during the ride.

Take breaks during the ride, even if it's only a few minutes along the side of the road.

While you are riding, turn your head and look where you want to go, do not look down.

If you look down, you go down.

If you look where you don't want to be, that's likely where you will end up.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:21 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!

I would also avoid the freeway... it's not the place to test the unknown. Take it easy and enjoy the ride.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM   #6
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

When I picked up my 250R I had also 40 miles to ride the snow had just melted and it was 3˚C new bike new tyres and a wet road, on top of that I had not ridden for over 40 years. Plan you route so that you can stop anytime you feel you need to, put some long johns on, the knees get very cold on a bike adjust the mirrors before you start. Take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Steve

Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I had a 30 mile trip back as well. I hadnt taken any course or anything and I had to take the freeway.

Had my buddy ride it back for me. problem solved

You have one up on me though, I think that I would have felt ok if I had taken my MSF course though...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Only 45 miles? Hehe, makes me rethink my plans on how I'm gonna get my bike home if I can't find one in town. Definitely try to get a good nights sleep the night before and make sure to plan out stops. Maybe even have someone follow you incase anything goes wrong.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
The day I first rode my bike, I took a 5 mile trip to a nearby shop before taking a 50 mile trip to get home. I was fine! Well: I got lost like 5 times and what should've been a 2 hour journey ended up being a 4 hour journey... but other than that, I was fine.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
rph12
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the responses! The seller and I decided just to move the day of sale back to this Friday, when it will be 60 and sunny .

I'm very excited, can't wait to be a part of the Ninja 250 fam!

Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM   #11
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph12 View Post
Any advice to a new rider out on a nice long 45 mile trip home on his newly acquired Ninja 250? Any *specific* cold weather hints? Thanks for any help!
Given the weather today, I wouldn't do it...

I paid ~$1700 for a 2004 in near-mint condition earlier this year. $1100 sounds like a steal.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #12
rph12
ninjette.org member

So nearly a month later, this bike is a dream. It was, in fact, in perfect condition. I rode it all over campus at Pitt for a couple weeks and now that I'm home on break from a couple weeks, I'm ready to tear up a bit of the back roads up north of the city where I'm from. I'm am forever in love and couldn't be happier about my beautiful 250. Feels good to officially live life on the road with two less wheels than I ever have had before

P.S. - Have done a couple trips on 79 (65 mph limits) and got it up to about 80 on them. SCARY. There were a few points it seemed like I was gunna go off the road >.< You really have to put some force into it to get around those bends in the road through the mountains. Still some of the most enjoyable adventures yet...

Old December 20th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #13
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Knowing how to counter-steer is mandatory, and you can do it immediately. It's takes forever for it to be second nature but just knowing to go against your brain works til then and you'll be fine on the highway, providing you with that option in a fearless manner. (you'll be able to maintain position at any speed). Great deal on the bike, make sure the inside of fuel tank is O.K. due to lack of miles and age. If it's rusted out there a bitch if you can clean/clear it out and $500 new, and all that's in between. Just checking the tire pressure like your other brother said is extremely important. Happy Trails, you've got a good mindset, just relax your body while riding (especially avoid death grip on bars). Peace out.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM   #14
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
So nearly a month later, this bike is a dream. It was, in fact, in perfect condition. I rode it all over campus at Pitt for a couple weeks and now that I'm home on break from a couple weeks, I'm ready to tear up a bit of the back roads up north of the city where I'm from. I'm am forever in love and couldn't be happier about my beautiful 250. Feels good to officially live life on the road with two less wheels than I ever have had before

P.S. - Have done a couple trips on 79 (65 mph limits) and got it up to about 80 on them. SCARY. There were a few points it seemed like I was gunna go off the road >.< You really have to put some force into it to get around those bends in the road through the mountains. Still some of the most enjoyable adventures yet...
I'm not very muscly, but I can easily put my bike at whatever angle I need. I don't use my weight or strength to turn the bike, I just gently push the bars in the opposite direction I want to go. eg Turn the bars to the left and the bike tilts to the right and then you go right.

Awesome to hear you're loving your bike! I miss mine so much. It's still being fixed.

Ride safe.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:11 PM   #15
TBC
ninjette.org guru

I have to ask - what color is the bike? I think I might have seen you around.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM   #16
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Check the first post...there's a link.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM   #17
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Check the first post...there's a link.
Ah - in that case yep, definitely seen you around .

Old December 24th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #18
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

Congrats with the new ride. Continue to learn your new toy, gear up and enjoy.
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #19
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
Ah - in that case yep, definitely seen you around .
Where at?!?!?!?! I've been looking for other Pittsburgh 250 people, haven't seen any yet.

On a side note...now that I have my bike, I notice a lot of people get into a conversation about it with me that almost *ALWAYS* includes the words, "Yeah, I've planned on getting a (insert 600cc+ bike here) as my first one, just haven't gotten around to it since (insert lame excuse here)." I don't understand why people think I judge them for also not being out on a bike

Old December 25th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #20
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Where at?!?!?!?! I've been looking for other Pittsburgh 250 people, haven't seen any yet.
I'm fairly certain I saw you at Forbes & Bigelow a few weeks ago (or at least another 250 with that exact coloring). My 250 isn't in Oakland, so I'm under the radar .

Quote:
On a side note...now that I have my bike, I notice a lot of people get into a conversation about it with me that almost *ALWAYS* includes the words, "Yeah, I've planned on getting a (insert 600cc+ bike here) as my first one, just haven't gotten around to it since (insert lame excuse here)." I don't understand why people think I judge them for also not being out on a bike
Funny, most of the responses I've gotten have been in the "You'll shoot your eye out, kid" vein .

Old December 25th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #21
rph12
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
I'm fairly certain I saw you at Forbes & Bigelow a few weeks ago (or at least another 250 with that exact coloring). My 250 isn't in Oakland, so I'm under the radar .
Yup, I'm a student at pitt so I zip around Oakland all the time going down the hill to class. It's kinda bad, because I got to the point near the end of the semester where if I couldn't ride down to class, I wouldn't go :X