ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 16th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #1
reroka
Biker Noob

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

A good way to get off cigarettes

I am using this to quit smoking cigarettes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1402921076376.jpg (167.2 KB, 4 views)

Old June 16th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Looks like a pen. Good luck getting the ink off your teeth.

Old June 16th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #3
reroka
Biker Noob

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

It's a e-cigarette not a pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Looks like a pen. Good luck getting the ink off your teeth.

Old June 16th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Hossua
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '82 Honda Ascot 500 (sold) '09 Suzuki SV650 (Totaled by deer)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reroka View Post
I am using this to quit smoking cigarettes.
When you are really ready to quit, cold turkey is the only way. I quit multiple times with gum, patches, etc. only time it stuck was cold turkey.
Faster you get the nicotine out of your system, the faster the cravings go away. If you can make it the first two weeks you are home free.
Hossua is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossua View Post
When you are really ready to quit, cold turkey is the only way. I quit multiple times with gum, patches, etc. only time it stuck was cold turkey.
Faster you get the nicotine out of your system, the faster the cravings go away. If you can make it the first two weeks you are home free.

I thought it was called "Wild Turkey"!

Old June 17th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossua View Post
they make e-cigarettes with no nicotine. it makes it easier to quit because you can still satisfy your habbit without actually having any nicotine.

i've have been off cigarettes for a little while now. probably 2 years. every now and then i'll have a puff off someones e-cig if they're clean (no nicotine) and its nice to play with smoke but it definitely doesn't make me want a cigarette.

Old June 17th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I thought it was called "Wild Turkey"!
no no no, that's the name of the STD that hooker from puerto rico gave you.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #8
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Then again... you could just.... uh.... quit.

Old June 17th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
New vaper in the house... Sweet

Best of luck
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Then again... you could just.... uh.... quit.
sounds like words from someone who doesn't know much about physical dependence?

Old June 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #11
corksil

Good lord I wish I didn't know all about physical dependence.

I never understood the games and the back and the forth and the conditions and the rewards and the semantics of addiction management. If you're going to be addicted to something, go right ahead and play it to the hilt. If you want to quit -- cut it off.

Strength. Force of will is incomparable to any other force in this world, man-made or otherwise.

Old June 17th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #12
corksil

Let me also add from a SCIENTIFIC standpoint -- the half life of nicotine is right around two hours unless I'm mistaken -- which means after two hours there are ZERO physical withdrawal symptoms. The are purely psychological, and the body manifests the symptoms as you believe in them.

Don't get me wrong, it sure feels like your skin is crawling, but if you look at it under a microscope... it's certainly not moving.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #13
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Quote:
Force of will is incomparable to any other force in this world, man-made or otherwise.
True, but some people have it and some don't.

There's a documentary I saw on SEAL training Hell week. The summation was that the purpose of Hell week was to find out who had the Will to make it through. Skills could be taught and muscles can be grown but the Will to do something no matter how hard it is couldn't be trained or engrained. You either have it or you don't

I never gave nicotine a chance, but his buddy caffeine is another story.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #14
corksil

I respectfully disagree.

Force of will is a skill, just like anything else.

Some people aren't just "born" with big muscles. They lift heavy weights and DO WORK and that's how the body reacts -- it becomes stronger.

Some people aren't just "born" to be intelligent -- They study, read, learn, ask questions, and TEACH THEM SELF how to be intelligent.

Ever been afraid of doing something? You have two options -- do it, face the fear, realize it's just mental and it's an irrational belief that you hold for whatever arbitrary reason --- OR --- not do it, let the fear become more powerful, and probably rationalize why you shouldn't do it, why you can't do it, or maybe even convince yourself that you're just incapable of doing it, that way you don't have to face the very real fact that you are, in fact, WEAK.

This is the same argument with obesity and fat people. I should bite my lip because I hold some very unpopular viewpoints that happen to TRUE. "I'm fat and it's not my fault. I'm fat because of genetics, thyroid problem, I'm unable to exercise because I have to work. I'm fat because one million ufcking reasons that have nothing to do with me and are totally out of my control. It's not my fault."

Being fat is not complicated. Carbs in, carbs out. Thermodynamics. You consume more energy than you use, therefore your body stores it. That's the scientific method of action behind being fat.

Given, we all process that energy and some of us store more of it than others -- but this is ENTIRELY inconsequential in the face of absolute FACT --- You are fat because you are weak. You lack the self control/force-of-will to control your calorie intake.

But things can be justified and rationalized however a human pleases. That is human nature.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect. I can do some things that terrify others without hesitation -- but other things frighten me just as much as the next person.)

Force of will is just like a muscle -- taking 'right action' -- the more you do it, that which you know to be correct, the stronger your ability becomes. Over time, hesitation vanishes, because you simply do what you know to be correct.

Picture firefighters running into a burning building to save a family... Personally I'd rather do something other than running into a burning building, but over time, they have learned that skill and how to perform it without hesitation.

Force of will is a skill that is consciously created, practiced, and strengthened.

Old June 18th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #15
corksil

And to anyone quitting cigarettes, good for you! If you don't succeed, try again!

The key is to pick yourself up exactly ONE more time than you have fallen down.

Old July 9th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #16
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Nice, what tank is that? I'm trying to figure out what I want to use, I'm just doing clearomizers right now

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #17
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

Replacing 1 dependency with another,i don see the point but thats me,smoke or not.
20 years of smoking 30-40 p/day & its 11 months smoke free & it feels great.
Mentally strong,lucky or just too busy i dont know but even having the shittiest day i dont ever think about it.
Good luck giving up.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #18
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Here's how to do it
1 pick a couple of days when you won't be socializing to launch.
2 Buy an unopened pack of ten and put them in your pocket.
3 Throw any opened cigs away in a public bin (ie beyond recovery)
4 If you suffer a stress that you can't handle or really cannot resist you have my permission to open the pack and have one But you MUST post on here that you have done that.
5 Six months time throw the unopened pack away
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #19
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I quit cold turkey in 05 and have not had one since, yes it sucked for a short time, but some things in life are worth suffering through to live a better life.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Let me also add from a SCIENTIFIC standpoint -- the half life of nicotine is right around two hours unless I'm mistaken -- which means after two hours there are ZERO physical withdrawal symptoms. The are purely psychological, and the body manifests the symptoms as you believe in them.

Don't get me wrong, it sure feels like your skin is crawling, but if you look at it under a microscope... it's certainly not moving.
this is total bullshit tc. you clearly don't understand how addiction works. two hours after smoking there are zero physical withdrawl symptoms? no ****, because you just ****ing smoked. they are purely psychological? 100% of withdrawl is purely psychological. 100% of your action in this world is driven by psychological state. please don't talk about what you don't know about like you're an expert. go tell a heroin addict that their withdrawl symptoms are just in their head.

Old July 11th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I wish I could stop smoking but fact is, I know deep down, I don't want to. I tried once and failed. The cost of the damn things would pay for my track time each month.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #22
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I have an addiction to sour candy, gummy worms, etc. I don't think this will help me stop

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #23
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I wish I could stop smoking but fact is, I know deep down, I don't want to. I tried once and failed. The cost of the damn things would pay for my track time each month.
Man, you gotta stop bro! You always talking about safety and sh*t. It's all for nothing, if you're slowly killing yourself in the worst way.

Of course it will be hard as hell, but it's worth it man. Nothing worth having in life is easy.

"I tried once and failed" this is just not true... you quit smoking every single day. The second you are not smoking you quit. I learned this in my philosophy class. As soon as you stop, you "quit" it's only until you smoke again when you spot "quitting".

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #24
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

Force of will is a skill, just like anything else.

Some people aren't just "born" with big muscles. They lift heavy weights and DO WORK and that's how the body reacts -- it becomes stronger.

Some people aren't just "born" to be intelligent -- They study, read, learn, ask questions, and TEACH THEM SELF how to be intelligent.

Ever been afraid of doing something? You have two options -- do it, face the fear, realize it's just mental and it's an irrational belief that you hold for whatever arbitrary reason --- OR --- not do it, let the fear become more powerful, and probably rationalize why you shouldn't do it, why you can't do it, or maybe even convince yourself that you're just incapable of doing it, that way you don't have to face the very real fact that you are, in fact, WEAK.

This is the same argument with obesity and fat people. I should bite my lip because I hold some very unpopular viewpoints that happen to TRUE. "I'm fat and it's not my fault. I'm fat because of genetics, thyroid problem, I'm unable to exercise because I have to work. I'm fat because one million ufcking reasons that have nothing to do with me and are totally out of my control. It's not my fault."

Being fat is not complicated. Carbs in, carbs out. Thermodynamics. You consume more energy than you use, therefore your body stores it. That's the scientific method of action behind being fat.

Given, we all process that energy and some of us store more of it than others -- but this is ENTIRELY inconsequential in the face of absolute FACT --- You are fat because you are weak. You lack the self control/force-of-will to control your calorie intake.

But things can be justified and rationalized however a human pleases. That is human nature.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect. I can do some things that terrify others without hesitation -- but other things frighten me just as much as the next person.)

Force of will is just like a muscle -- taking 'right action' -- the more you do it, that which you know to be correct, the stronger your ability becomes. Over time, hesitation vanishes, because you simply do what you know to be correct.

Picture firefighters running into a burning building to save a family... Personally I'd rather do something other than running into a burning building, but over time, they have learned that skill and how to perform it without hesitation.

Force of will is a skill that is consciously created, practiced, and strengthened.
I like you You are one of the more intelligent people I've spoken to on the internet. I loved you fat argument, I watch people wilt away from their obesity and blame society and them being poor. Losing weight is so much cheaper than gaining weight!

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Agreed Danny, and thanks for the push in the right direction. I WILL quit one day, it's just a question of when and at what cost. Here is my biggest beef with quitting...

I aint claiming to be some guru of this stuff, but nearly every person I know, aside of my dad who has quit smoking is more sick now than they were before quitting. Being straight honest here, I aint got time to be sick right now. My tolerance for common ailments is above average yes, but I can't take chances right now. Maybe it is a temp thing as the lungs clear up, But one thing I do know, is my great grandfather lived to be a 102 while smoking. Us Smith's are hard to kill off, our worst injuries are ALWAYS self inflicted. hahahahahahh

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I have an addiction to sour candy, gummy worms, etc. I don't think this will help me stop
please do research on addiction and understand what addiction is. too many people in this country do not understand that addiction is a mental illness that is difficult to deal with. you are not addicted to sugar. when someone is addicted to crack and they try to stop smoking, they suffer physical issues. for 3 days they go between burning chills to cold sweats, unstopable vommiting and diarrhea, hallucinations, and lots of other issues.

too many people do not understand that your brain is like a computer. it can be wrong and believe that it is correct. when it is broken it does not come up with the correct answer. you don't just "will" yourself out of a mental disease most of the time. do you know how many homeless crackheads want to kick it? it is a surprising amount. making light of a serious issue does nothing but degrade the national opinion of mental illness. did you know that more than half of homeless crack addicts are in such poor health that quitting without proper medical supervision would actually probably kill them on the street? have you ever heard of amy winehouse?

addiction and mental illness is not something to joke about. cigarettes are addictive, but they are one of the milder addictions people deal with every day. it is very disrespectful to belittle people dealing with addiction as weak and unwilling to deal with their issues when you don't understand what they are going through.

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #27
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Quote:
I know deep down, I don't want to.
And you won't actually quit until you do, it's the whole horse and water thing. If and when you decide that there's more pros to quitting than cons then you'll quit.

I say do what ever makes you happy as long as it isn't affecting others in a negative way. Drink, smoke, do drugs... just don't drink and drive or smoke around kids or steal to get your fix.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #28
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
please do research on addiction and understand what addiction is. too many people in this country do not understand that addiction is a mental illness that is difficult to deal with. you are not addicted to sugar. when someone is addicted to crack and they try to stop smoking, they suffer physical issues. for 3 days they go between burning chills to cold sweats, unstopable vommiting and diarrhea, hallucinations, and lots of other issues.

too many people do not understand that your brain is like a computer. it can be wrong and believe that it is correct. when it is broken it does not come up with the correct answer. you don't just "will" yourself out of a mental disease most of the time. do you know how many homeless crackheads want to kick it? it is a surprising amount. making light of a serious issue does nothing but degrade the national opinion of mental illness. did you know that more than half of homeless crack addicts are in such poor health that quitting without proper medical supervision would actually probably kill them on the street? have you ever heard of amy winehouse?

addiction and mental illness is not something to joke about. cigarettes are addictive, but they are one of the milder addictions people deal with every day. it is very disrespectful to belittle people dealing with addiction as weak and unwilling to deal with their issues when you don't understand what they are going through.
Lol, I was obviously trolling sorry didn't think anybody would take it that seriously. Don't be so sensitive bud. I never said anything about crack, I was talking about cigarettes. You CAN will yourself out of cigarettes.

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #29
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Agreed Danny, and thanks for the push in the right direction. I WILL quit one day, it's just a question of when and at what cost. Here is my biggest beef with quitting...

I aint claiming to be some guru of this stuff, but nearly every person I know, aside of my dad who has quit smoking is more sick now than they were before quitting. Being straight honest here, I aint got time to be sick right now. My tolerance for common ailments is above average yes, but I can't take chances right now. Maybe it is a temp thing as the lungs clear up, But one thing I do know, is my great grandfather lived to be a 102 while smoking. Us Smith's are hard to kill off, our worst injuries are ALWAYS self inflicted. hahahahahahh
I hope you're right man, you are one of the nicer guys on the forum. I would hate to hear some bad news from you

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #30
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Why bother?
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Why? Because there is a chance, and as human nature has always proven.... a chance (hope) is all you need.

Old July 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #32
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

The only bit you got right there is that you are mistaken

For a scientist you don't know much about half life do you?

1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64... every 2 hours it drops by half

Then we get into that nicotine is a stimulant, it dials up your dopamine production & release to the point your body becomes dependant on it for normal function and it dials down it's response, when you drop below the active dose is when the withdrawal begins.

Your normal neurotransmitter & hormone responses are skewed, your body tries to keep it on an even keel, responses are dialled up to compensate for others that are dialled down, in response others get dialled down to compensate for the ones dialled up
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #33
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
at least somebody knows what the **** they're talking about.

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #34
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Um haha... That is all
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote