Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old March 31st, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

2013 ZX6R 636 with ABS

FINALLY!, PICTURES!

I was always someone to say that I'd either ride my Ninjette until it falls apart, or until I do, but I made the choice this year to suck it up and sell my 250r.

Why I sold the 250r:
The only real reason I decided to sell the 250r was due to it's less than optimal passenger capabilities. It wasn't in any way bad, but it was a noticeably less enjoyable experience on a mechanical level riding with a passenger compared to how it would feel riding my friends 650r with one. My girlfriend moved in with me and I really wanted to be able to take her out for rides all the time (and avoid her driving...).

For a while, I was dead set on keeping the 250 and just getting something like a 650r for riding with her. That way, I'd have the aggressive street riding with my 250r and the more relaxed rides with a 650r. It was a really solid plan! What changed my mind was the thought of needing to take care of two bikes all the time. I love working on motorcycles when I have time, but I'm a fairly busy person these days.

Bikes I've ridden and my FIRST impressions:
2009 Kawasaki 650r:
This is my friends bike that I've borrowed a few times. I loved it with a passenger and I really enjoyed the sound, but I didn't care for the overall style of the bike all that much. I really didn't care for how heavy the bike was and how much more work it felt throwing it in a corner compared to the 250.

2012 Kawasaki 650r:
Mainly, same issues as above only I felt like the new models are EXTREMELY cheap feeling. The plastic on the tank is really ugly and cheap and the whole front end is too bulky feeling. Lets not get into my disappointment with the new seat design....

2011 Honda Fireblade:
There was a lot about this bike I enjoyed, but there was a lot I didn't care for either. I loved the straight line abilities, but it felt a bit bulkly in corners like the 650. The throttle was a bit choppy and the overall design of the bike wasn't bad, but I felt as if it were really dated already.

2012 Street Triple R:
I really had my eye on a 2013 version of these bikes with the huge improvement over the 2012 model; unfortunately, I couldn't find one close enough to test drive so the 2012 model was what I tested. A couple of my friends swear by them and say that you can't find a better bike. I have to really disagree. They did feel very light and agile for their size and the 3-cylinder engine make a pretty nice/unique tone. I didn't like the throttle response at all and I didn't like the price even more. In terms of money, I felt like the 650r was a MUCH smarter purchase.

2012 Kawasaki ZX10R and 2010 Yamaha R1:
I am grouping these bikes because they felt really similar. The power was nice, the design and egornomics on both were nice, but all in all, they felt like absolute overkill. Babying a bike around the streets isn't my idea of a good time and neither is straight line speed.

2012 Kawasaki ZX6R:
When it game to 600cc super sports, I didn't bother testing anything other than the Kawasaki. Most popular opinions seem to believe it's the best bang for your dollar as a 600cc street bike. When I got on it, I really felt like I had made up my mind. The handling of this bike was just insane compared to the others I've tested! I loved the smooth wash of power and it felt completely controllable while still allowing me enough room to ride it hard and still be legal. By all means, it wasn't as fun as the 250r around town, but it was a solid compromise of available power and handling for me.

2013 Kawasaki ZX6R 636:
Shortly after making up my mind that I'd buy a 2009-2011 ZX6R, I started to look deeper into these 636 models. At first, I wasn't convinced that the extra 36cc would be worth $2,000~3,000 more than the previous models, but once I was able to try one out, it was a really REALLY big improvement. The wash of power came in around 4,000RPM instead of around 7,000RPM. For a bike I'd mainly be using on the street, it was a very nice boost of mid range and I'm sure it will be greatly beneficial once I take on a passenger. The traction control and abs features were something that really caught my eye as well. I do not own a car, so that means often riding in the rain (and sometimes even snow). I understand traction control isn't going to save me in a lot of situations, but it will help in a few and in general, it's nice to have. ABS was another feature I really wanted due to decreased stopping distance. Because I was already going to invest in a brand new bike, I figured it would be best to do it right and buy the model I really wanted rather than settle for something less to my taste.

Not really related, but I tested a 2013 Kawasaki 300r for the fun of if it
I believe that for the money, there is no better motorcycle than the 300r. If there were ever a time in my life where I had more free time and money to throw around, this will be the first bike I buy to sit next to my 636. I'm not sure I would have bought it when I owned a 250r because it wasn't a night and day difference, but anyone looking to buy a bike mainly for single riding should look no further.

I'll post pictures of the new bike when I actually have it in my possession. The dealership had a slightly difficult time finding one for me and had to order it from another dealership on the East cost. I'm hoping to have it by April 6th, but it's hard to estimate.

Last futzed with by NathanUc; April 3rd, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congratulations on the new bike. Can't wait to see pics.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Congratulations!!!

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I think ZX10r and R1 are completely different bikes and nothing about them feels the same... Also I think CBR1000rr is about as flickable as a 600 supersport but hey... what do I know...

in any case congrats. Enjoy your new bike!
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:59 AM   #5
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
I think ZX10r and R1 are completely different bikes and nothing about them feels the same... Also I think CBR1000rr is about as flickable as a 600 supersport but hey... what do I know...

in any case congrats. Enjoy your new bike!
What I meant about the ZX10R and R1 was simply they both felt unusable on the street. I greatly preferred the zx10r's engine, but the R1 felt better around a corner. Considering I only put maybe 10 miles total on each, it's not a report from an experienced owner. I'll edit my posts to explain that these were first impressions.

That CBR felt no where near as flick-able as the 600 to me. It was easy to lean into a corner like any sports bike, but quickly going from a left to right (or right to left) lean felt a lot more forced. The 636 felt A LOT smaller and more in control.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm dying to get back on the road.

Old April 1st, 2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post

... At first, I wasn't convinced that the extra 36cc would be worth $2,000~3,000 more than the previous models, ...
Extra 37cc

The Ninja ZX-6R prior to 2013 was 599 cc

Enjoy your new ride.

Interestingly, I just checked the Kawasaki website and the only ZX-6R I see listed is the ZX-6R 636 and 636 ABS but not the 599cc. I thought they still sold both.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 02:25 AM   #7
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
Extra 37cc

The Ninja ZX-6R prior to 2013 was 599 cc

Enjoy your new ride.

Interestingly, I just checked the Kawasaki website and the only ZX-6R I see listed is the ZX-6R 636 and 636 ABS but not the 599cc. I thought they still sold both.
I stand corrected :P

I remember reading that they will still make a 599cc model (for certain racing applications) without all the other improvements (so... just rebranding a 2012 as 2013...). I also seem to recall them doing this last time the might 636 came out (the 599 model was the zx6rr?)

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:56 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well booo! No test ride on the R6? You missed out I thinks.... jk yo, gratz on the wheels.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
I also seem to recall them doing this last time the might 636 came out (the 599 model was the zx6rr?)
Correct!

And he said he wanted a passenger. Have you seen the tail end of an R6? I wouldn't ride back there myself, much less put anyone else back there.

Old April 1st, 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
NealWright
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

So you live in Indiana ... And, only own a bike??
NealWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Kawi hasn't released any plans to sell the 599cc version in the US. They are still selling the 599cc version in Europe as a 2013 model, alongside the 636. But the 599 is exactly the same as the 2012 bike; it's not the 2013 bike with a smaller engine.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:12 PM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
And he said he wanted a passenger. Have you seen the tail end of an R6? I wouldn't ride back there myself, much less put anyone else back there.
bahaha, I think Chris is already familiar with the R6

(hint: his avatar picture)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Do No Post Pictures! I won't be able to control my impulse purchases.

If I get a 3rd bike, the wife may kill me.

Congratz!

Old April 1st, 2013, 04:01 PM   #14
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealWright View Post
So you live in Indiana ... And, only own a bike??
That's what I was thinking…

Anywho, congrats on the purchase. How'd you go about test riding so many different bikes?
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM   #15
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Well booo! No test ride on the R6? You missed out I thinks.... jk yo, gratz on the wheels.
One of the reasons I didn't consider an R6 is because on of my best friends owns an 06 SE R6 and always complains about it's lack of low/mid power. I also read similar reviews when all 600cc bikes are compared. If I were buying a bike for the track, I think I would have ended up with an R6, but in terms of street riding the 636 takes the cake easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
That's what I was thinking…

Anywho, congrats on the purchase. How'd you go about test riding so many different bikes?
Bloomington is an amazing town. If you don't mind taking public transport, there's no reason to own any vehicle 99% of the time. Winters here were fairly mild as well. I generally ride from early February- mid December so owning a car to only use a month seems like a huge waste of my money/time. Edit: I should also mention, I lived right next to where I work. It's a 2~3 minute walk.

I was able to test drive most of the various bikes at Falcone Powersports and Dryer Cycles. A couple were owned by my friends who trusted me long enough to let me have a short go.

I purchased the bike from Bloomington Powersports as they were the only ones that seemed willing to work with me on getting a hold of a 636. The other dealerships were just interested in selling me instock used bikes or a Ninja 1000. I'm hoping to get an ETA today when they open back up from the weekend

Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
superflytako
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2013 Ninja 300 ABS (RIP), 2015 FZ-09 (sold)

Congrats Nate! Dibs on a test ride Need lots and lots of pics
superflytako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM   #17
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohamoda View Post
Congrats Nate! Dibs on a test ride Need lots and lots of pics
Maybe if I can save up enough time off, I can take a couple weeks and drive it over to Cali so we can ride together a bit.

Pictures incoming later today (Wednesday)! The dealership ended up getting a black one for me. White would have been preferred but the black will do nicely

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:17 PM   #18
superflytako
ninjette.org member

Woot woot, sounds legit. Get some more real bbq. Can't wait to see the pics of the bike and the eventual mods that'll come with it

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #19
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Woot woot, sounds legit. Get some more real bbq. Can't wait to see the pics of the bike and the eventual mods that'll come with it
I have a problem... I know. Posting pics now.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #20
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Holy sexy, dont leave it in those apartment parking lot complexes please! Id hate to see a sexy bike like that stolen....

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #21
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
Holy sexy, dont leave it in those apartment parking lot complexes please! Id hate to see a sexy bike like that stolen....
Unfortunately, this is the only option. I use two disc locks (one with a pager) and plan to keep it covered.

I don't live in too bad an area though. There are a few guys in my complex with fairly nice motorcycles.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:45 PM   #22
Vergil
Laser Quest

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black Ninja 250r

Now there's a good looking bike
Vergil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:46 PM   #23
skilletmo
InfoWhore

I dont mean to be a dick but this guy on youtube did too and even moved to a nicer one with better security and it happend again.... R6 stolen

At least you have full coverage so incase things do go south your not completely out of luck!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #24
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
I dont mean to be a dick but this guy on youtube did too and even moved to a nicer one with better security and it happend again.... R6 stolen

At least you have full coverage so incase things do go south your not completely out of luck!
Yeah, I saw that vid. Poor guy had like 3 of his R6 stolen I think.

All in all, if a thief wants a bike, they'll get it. I am hoping to save up money and buy a nice garage with a house in the next couple of years. I feel unless I have my own garage, she's never really that safe.

But yes, full coverage including loan coverage

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:54 PM   #25
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Quote:

But yes, full coverage including loan coverage
Haha now your talkin, you have nothing to worry about then.... kind of

Have fun on your new sexy beast. Ride on

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
!
Yeah, but name 3 times you've heard of a ninja 250 getting stolen? Another reason pregens rock. No one would even consider stealing one.

An R6 is a target for bike thieves. That's the kind of bike you part the ninjette next to in order to make it look undesirable.

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #28
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I'm green with envy

I love what they've done with the new ZX6R, Its the best looking of all the 600's! I love a bike with sharp lines. Congrats man!
aeroblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #29
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Call me crazy, but I think I prefer the low power mode (caps at about 80%). The lower RPM throttle response is greatly improved and it's still PLENTY of power for the streets. Since my break in, I've been leaving power mode L (low) on the traction control on 3 (highest). It feels like an extremely docile and tame bike compared to power mode F (full) and TC off.

Note: Even in power mode L and TC 3, this is no beginner bike.... it's much more difficult to maneuver at very low speeds and you cannot rely on traction control. I cannot stress enough the importance of learning to ride on a lightweight or 'low power' bike. If you're always riding solo, the Ninja 300 is the absolute perfect motorcycle bar none. If you frequently ride with a passanger, the SV650 or Ninja 650r are probably the way to go.

It's a bit unrelated, but I didn't want to give anything the wrong impression about this bike and it's rider-aids.
*off my soap box*

Old April 5th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #30
eXstasy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250R, 10 Daytona 675 SE, 11 Ninja 250R SE

Thanks for the detailed review of all of the bikes. I think you made the right choice. She looks great!
eXstasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #31
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Nice bike!
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #32
azn370z
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Nice choice. This is my first bike and I say get a bike with tc if you can afford it. I just switched from low power to full power and tc level 3 to 2. With tc 3 the power will cut off when quickly accelerating.
azn370z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #33
superflytako
ninjette.org member

That's one gorgeous bike Jason

Old April 6th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #34
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post
Nice choice. This is my first bike and I say get a bike with tc if you can afford it. I just switched from low power to full power and tc level 3 to 2. With tc 3 the power will cut off when quickly accelerating.
Yeah, TC 3 won't allow the front to lift much at all. Once I get my damper, I'll probably switch to TC1. It's such an awesome feature to have though. I wouldn't say it's saved me at all yet, but there was a couple times I hit a patch of sand and kicked in for me while accelerating.

So far, my only gripes:
The windscreen vibrates at low RPM. I've tightened the bolts a bit and it helped.
The exhaust valve has a tenancy to stall the bike when it's cold.
Rear pre-load is a PAIN to adjust. The tool kit didn't even come with the needed tools! They are like $50 and you need two.... so dumb.
Gauges are a bit ugly (the tach lights are far too dim and boring)
No stock damper.. this just annoys me. The 2012 damper was about $300.. but the 2013 one is almost $700!
Seat has no ass groove.

All pretty small complaints. Not a perfect bike, but for me, it's pretty close

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #35
azn370z
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Quote:
That's one gorgeous bike Jason
Thanks

Quote:

So far, my only gripes:

The exhaust valve has a tenancy to stall the bike when it's cold.
It's not the exhaust valve, not sure what it is but it's a known problem for a lot of owners. My slip on didn't eliminate the problem. It used to take 3 or 4 tries to start a cold bike. Around 400 miles it would take no more than 2 tries sometimes it starts on the 1st try.
azn370z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #36
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post

It's not the exhaust valve, not sure what it is but it's a known problem for a lot of owners. My slip on didn't eliminate the problem. It used to take 3 or 4 tries to start a cold bike. Around 400 miles it would take no more than 2 tries sometimes it starts on the 1st try.
Interested. Most people on one of the other ad-spammed forums claimed throwing on a slip on resolved it for them. Mine's been starting up fine no problems, but at least twice when pulling out of the parking lot, it would stall for what seemed to be no reason (clutch 100% pulled in, throttle closed). I adjusted the idle a hair after that, but I've not been out again to test it.

EDIT: I also dislike the clutch lever. I've not had any free time to really look at it, but I don't think it's adjustable at all... and it's a mile away from the grip.

Last futzed with by NathanUc; April 7th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #37
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Beautiful bike, loveblack Ninjas... out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the throttle on the Triple?
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #38
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Kawasaki is running a 0% interest promotion right now that lasts until MAY 31. I'm seriously considering picking one of these up.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #39
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMKV View Post
Beautiful bike, loveblack Ninjas... out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the throttle on the Triple?
It just wasn't very smooth. It was way too aggressive for the streets and at low speeds for a bike of that style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
Kawasaki is running a 0% interest promotion right now that lasts until MAY 31. I'm seriously considering picking one of these up.
Just be careful because that might apply to a credit card loan. I financed mine through a local bank instead and was able to get an overall better deal than the Kawi loan.

Old April 9th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Question for you Nathan,

Hows the ABS feel when it steps in? I've never had a bike with ABS. I'd imagine it feels weird through the lever/pedal.