ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old September 14th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #1
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Sub 2:10 laps at CVR from 09-08-13

Here's a video edit I made of the fastest laps from one of my sessions out on Sunday 09-08-13 at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway hosted by SoCal Trackdays

Link to original page on Vimeo.

*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Sub 2:10 laps at CVR from 09-08-13

Here's a video edit I made of the fastest laps from one of my sessions out on Sunday 09-08-13 at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway hosted by SoCal Trackdays

Link to original page on Vimeo.

*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Clean! Here's how to drop 3-4 seconds right now off those laps:

1) Use all the track. You're leaving like 3-4 feet on each side on entry/exit/apex.
2) T3 don't lift and turn in about 3 feet later
3) T4/5 get on the gas at the apex cone and keep it pinned, swing wider in between the apexes so you can start lifting the bike up as you hit the bump at the 2nd apex
4) T6 start farther left, keep it pinned as you turn in and don't start braking until you're clipping the first apex, and trail brake all the way from the first apex to the outer berm while dropping a gear.
5) T8/9/10 don't brake going into 8, just slightly lift, then hard braking & 2 downshifts in between 8 and the top of the crest at 9. Rest of it you're spot on, its all about drive onto the back straight.
6) T11/12 - start farther left, you'll be able to carry a little more speed, rest of it is good.
7) T13 (bowl) enter farther left, keep line tighter, you clip inner berm towards exit and it'll spit you out dead center of the track.
8) T14/15 PERFECT!
9) T16 start farther left, treat it exactly the same as T6

Can't wait to watch racing next weekend
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Here's how to drop 10 seconds off your pace;

Stop listening to that girlie music.

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #5
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Clean! Here's how to drop 3-4 seconds right now off those laps:

1) Use all the track. You're leaving like 3-4 feet on each side on entry/exit/apex.
2) T3 don't lift and turn in about 3 feet later
3) T4/5 get on the gas at the apex cone and keep it pinned, swing wider in between the apexes so you can start lifting the bike up as you hit the bump at the 2nd apex
4) T6 start farther left, keep it pinned as you turn in and don't start braking until you're clipping the first apex, and trail brake all the way from the first apex to the outer berm while dropping a gear.
5) T8/9/10 don't brake going into 8, just slightly lift, then hard braking & 2 downshifts in between 8 and the top of the crest at 9. Rest of it you're spot on, its all about drive onto the back straight.
6) T11/12 - start farther left, you'll be able to carry a little more speed, rest of it is good.
7) T13 (bowl) enter farther left, keep line tighter, you clip inner berm towards exit and it'll spit you out dead center of the track.
8) T14/15 PERFECT!
9) T16 start farther left, treat it exactly the same as T6

Thanks Steve for the tips!!! I do have a question though for you, because your suggestions I think may not help my situation and/or not needed. Are you stock gearing?

If so, I am different gearing. I'm actually stock gearing front and +2 rear.

Also, the times I did run consistent 2:08's the day before this footage was taken, I was actually not even touching the brakes at all.

I'll definitely give your suggestions an honest effort. I do have some questions though.

For Turn 3 and you say don't lift, do you mean to keep the lean angle?
For Turn 4/5, I make sure to be actually fully pinned by the time I am passing the T4 apex
For Turn 6, I'll definitely give it a shot, but lately the pace I have been running, dropping a gear before T6 I am immediately back on the gas and instead of carrying 1 gear up through 6 and having to drop down a gear though 7. This T6/T7 is one I will really try to work on because I feel your suggestion might be where I can make up the most time.

T8/T9/T10--I actually enter 8 without braking at all and its just relying on the downshift right before T8. I have caught myself actually giving it full throttle after the downshift and trail braking T9.

T11/T12--I actually never let off the gas for this turn and actually am pinned but can see where starting slightly farther left may help with the drive out of 12. However I have caught myself a crack off throttle when not at pace/in the zone

T13 I think your right with your suggestion. A lot of times mid corner or out the bowl the bike would wobble at both the front and rear because I knew I was pushing the limits of traction because I pretty much am pinned entering, apexing, and exiting T13. T13 I try not to force input and let the bike naturally let it drift out and come back in when it wants to.

T14/T15 I figured out to get consistent 2:08s (which I did the day before but the camera shut off) I am actually fully pinned entering, apexing, and exiting.

T16--I think you're suggestion is spot on because I have to grab one downshift exiting T16 because too much speed was burned off staying leaned. I have found what helps through that corner is to actually pull your knee up to not slow you down as much. I think you're right that if I start farther left and grab one down shift but am back on the gas at a higher throttle percentage than where I am now I may not need to grab one downshift exiting an may have enough RPMs to still be on the power and exit out. Doing that, (if I still have one gear available), I may be able to actually get into top gear.

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #6
sierrahotel
CVMA #92

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): harleys

"lift" is a car term- dont lift off the pedal.

Agree with Steve on T6/7. I have just been figuring out that same line myself (mostly from following Steve) and it is better. Tricky though.

Interesting to hear about T16. I've never run it that way, but it makes sense. Which way are we going this round?
sierrahotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

this is too embarrassing i need to get sub 2:00s quick hahah. i'm only two seconds faster on a friggin 600

nice riding!
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Gurk
Done here.

I also like how efficient you're moving on the bike. seems like you're not over working yourself while going side to side. just going by your pics and your helmet reflection on the dash.

Old September 16th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #9
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

nice
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
killin it bro.

what happened to steves comments? they were good advice

maybe tryin to keep the secrets secret! hmmm

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
killin it bro.

what happened to steves comments? they were good advice

maybe tryin to keep the secrets secret! hmmm
Weird dupe thread I think. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=149915

@Alex merge?

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ah, I see. Same vid in Speed and Videos subformums.

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #15
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

My bad for the double post. I couldn't decide which would be the better place to put it, so I put it in both.

Thanks for the comments guys

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #16
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post

OK, no one else asked, so I will, Steve, you're out too? Everyone seems to be quietly stepping aside this round, whats the deal?
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No worries. It will get more views and comments in one active thread rather than split into two separate conversations. Fun video.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #18
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
I also like how efficient you're moving on the bike. seems like you're not over working yourself while going side to side. just going by your pics and your helmet reflection on the dash.
Thanks . Jason Pridmore's STAR school teaches the aspects of being efficient. If you haven't done STAR school, I HIGHLY recommend it. I've gone twice and have learned a lot. Some of the lessons taught didn't actually click in with me until several months after.

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Aint that the truth! Some concepts/skill don't make sense or apply until the pace is high enough.

Old September 16th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Thanks . Jason Pridmore's STAR school teaches the aspects of being efficient. If you haven't done STAR school, I HIGHLY recommend it. I've gone twice and have learned a lot. Some of the lessons taught didn't actually click in with me until several months after.
I did and that's how I picked up on it I think