ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 1st, 2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Budget suspension upgrades?

Can I get into a decent racing suspension for under $600? I'd like to do significantly less than that, but that seems to be the lower limit from looking around (Elka?).

I think I will get some linear springs and heavier oil in the front and try that for next season, but finding a rear shock without spending almost as much as I paid for the bike seems quite a bit more difficult.

I want rebound and preload for sure. Ride height would be nice. I'm not too worried about adjustable compression damping.

I'm also finally moving up to racing slicks. My total off season budget for upgrades is about $1k, so I want to get the suspension done for under $600. Although I might bump that up and see if I can get someone's takeoffs and save money on the tires initially. Of course, that will probably cost a bit more in the long run, but I've got to start using tires at some point. I've been running on DOT Pirellis for 14 races now, and although the tires have plenty of life on them, I've definitely reached the limit of what they can give me.

On the plus side, I dropped nearly 10 seconds off my lap times in just two months, and I know what it feels like to slide the rear quite a bit.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 08:28 AM   #2
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

Name: Luis

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja 250, 2005 R6, 2002 Ducati Monster S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Can I get into a decent racing suspension for under $600? I'd like to do significantly less than that, but that seems to be the lower limit from looking around (Elka?).

I think I will get some linear springs and heavier oil in the front and try that for next season, but finding a rear shock without spending almost as much as I paid for the bike seems quite a bit more difficult.

I want rebound and preload for sure. Ride height would be nice. I'm not too worried about adjustable compression damping.

I'm also finally moving up to racing slicks. My total off season budget for upgrades is about $1k, so I want to get the suspension done for under $600. Although I might bump that up and see if I can get someone's takeoffs and save money on the tires initially. Of course, that will probably cost a bit more in the long run, but I've got to start using tires at some point. I've been running on DOT Pirellis for 14 races now, and although the tires have plenty of life on them, I've definitely reached the limit of what they can give me.

On the plus side, I dropped nearly 10 seconds off my lap times in just two months, and I know what it feels like to slide the rear quite a bit.
intersted in this info too..

I am sure you are talking about a new gen 250.
What about using an SV 1999-2001 rear shock? Is that much of an upgrade?
I been looking but I believe many SV parts work on the new gen ninja but not sure (sure hope the work on my pre gen ninja as I am "shock less in the rear" at the moment"
Qomomoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 08:29 AM   #3
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

GSXR rear shock is a pretty solid upgrade. I'm gathering parts to install mine. I'm about 70 bucks into it lol

Old October 1st, 2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:

You could ask here http://www.yssusa.com/ for the Ordernumber: MZ366-320TRL-13-5. This shock has all your looking for and as an addition you can extend it by 5 mm.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownWideOpen View Post
GSXR rear shock is a pretty solid upgrade. I'm gathering parts to install mine. I'm about 70 bucks into it lol
what year gixxer? and thats for a ne gen 250? other details?

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:10 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
A savvy shopper can get a gsxr rear upgrade for < $50. In total, I spent $42 on mine, shock, bones, bolts and all. I am even including the new drill bit I had to buy for the proper size hole.

The front is a bit more tricky to get cheap. I would never buy used springs, so there is $120 at least but the rest can be had used/cheaper if you shop around.

All said and done, I got $700 (just $100 more than your budget) in suspension mods to my 250 but I got some extras that I have learned I can live without but sure are nice to have when I need them.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

specification on rear shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
A savvy shopper can get a gsxr rear upgrade for < $50. In total, I spent $42 on mine, shock, bones, bolts and all. I am even including the new drill bit I had to buy for the proper size hole.

The front is a bit more tricky to get cheap. I would never buy used springs, so there is $120 at least but the rest can be had used/cheaper if you shop around.

All said and done, I got $700 (just $100 more than your budget) in suspension mods to my 250 but I got some extras that I have learned I can live without but sure are nice to have when I need them.
which gen gixxer?

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:19 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

08 gsxr 600

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:48 AM   #9
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qomomoko View Post
what year gixxer? and thats for a ne gen 250? other details?
Mine is from an '05 GSXR 750, which requires you to remove the airbox for it to fit.

Bottom "fork" area that bolts into the knuckle has to be ground down. and the top bushing has to be changed out for a 250 one.

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:49 AM   #10
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Mine came with the GSXR bones, bolts, and knuckle as well. I'm hoping to swap everything over, making it slightly less work. Hopefully.

Old October 1st, 2014, 09:55 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Mine came with the GSXR bones, bolts, and knuckle as well. I'm hoping to swap everything over, making it slightly less work. Hopefully.
Cool! Which bones you use will/can (adjustable) will determine the height of the rear. I wanted a 1in raise, so custom made bones it was.... I used the stock knuckle with my setup, but hey... if it works for you, then ride on.

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:12 AM   #12
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Cool! Which bones you use will/can (adjustable) will determine the height of the rear. I wanted a 1in raise, so custom made bones it was.... I used the stock knuckle with my setup, but hey... if it works for you, then ride on.
I think if you use the stock bones it raises it 1 inch. Don't quote me on that though.

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:21 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I think if you use the stock bones it raises it 1 inch. Don't quote me on that though.
I am quoting you. hahhahaha but only ask a question. Stock of which bike? The 250 or the gsxr?

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:22 AM   #14
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I am quoting you. hahhahaha but only ask a question. Stock of which bike? The 250 or the gsxr?
Stock bones off the 250!

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock bones off the 250!

lol

i am getting confused but the MODS will happen
** so the 05 750 GXR shock with the new gen 250 bones will raise the rear one inch"

I am not even a NOOB at modding so all this is like shots of Tekila

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:27 AM   #16
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
lol

i am getting confused but the MODS will happen
** so the 05 750 GXR shock with the new gen 250 bones will raise the rear one inch"

I am not even a NOOB at modding so all this is like shots of Tekila
For you, I'd go with the '08 GSXR 600 shock, to make the swap a bit easier. If you go with the one I chose, airbox comes out, carbs have to be played with and it becomes a mess. Lots of reading helps! And the people here are great as well, so feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:30 AM   #17
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
For you, I'd go with the '08 GSXR 600 shock, to make the swap a bit easier. If you go with the one I chose, airbox comes out, carbs have to be played with and it becomes a mess. Lots of reading helps! And the people here are great as well, so feel free to ask as many questions as you like.
thanks.. reading to be done...

Old October 1st, 2014, 10:33 AM   #18
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
thanks.. reading to be done...

Old October 1st, 2014, 11:14 AM   #19
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Stock bones off the 250!
negative, stock 250 bones and gsxr shock will lower the rear slightly which you do not want, so get shorter bones to lift the rear back up
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the gsxr shock is about an 3/4" shorter than the ninja shock which translates to about an inch and a half drop on the rear with stock ninja bones.

for about $10 each you can order heim joints and rods to make adjustable dogbones from McMaster Carr. and being mcmaster, they will arrive the day after you order them if you are in the US. or if you are in san diego like me, you'll receive them a few hours after you order them. i love mcmaster.

edit: i looked it up, each heim joint is $6.20, you need 4- 2x left hand and 2x right hand. and the connecting rod with threads on both end in opposite threads is $3 each. you need 2.

so a set of brand new, high quality fully adjustable dogbones costs $31. those would be rated for 7klbs. more than you would ever see on those dog bones unless the bike was tumbling end over end.

Old October 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
negative, stock 250 bones and gsxr shock will lower the rear slightly which you do not want, so get shorter bones to lift the rear back up

The 06 & 08 gsxr shock itself is shorter than a stock 250 rear shock. While shorter bones will raise the height, shorter shocks with the stock bones will lower it.

Old October 1st, 2014, 11:27 AM   #22
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Ah that was it. Mixed my stuff up!

Old October 1st, 2014, 11:48 AM   #23
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

awesome info.. how do I like your guys post and such!!!
Still a noob at this site.

Old October 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
awesome info.. how do I like your guys post and such!!!
Still a noob at this site.
The ability to "like" or "find helpful" a post is granted after 1000 posts. Your almost there, just a few more past 61. There is no rush to get 1000 posts or "like" things. Us members who have been around for a while already know.

Old October 1st, 2014, 12:18 PM   #25
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

Front springs $120, emulators $150, Preload adjusters $120 ish, GSXR shock mod you said <$50

120+150+120+50= $440 What am I missing? unless you upgraded to cartridges or something

^ could have got a new rear spring as well so +$120 ish but even with that I am short a little over a $100 from the $700

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 12:23 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Fork oil, seals, preload caps ($100+ alone), various bolts, lock washers, custom bones, various tools I didn't have and so on.

The price of the parts are one thing, the total job is normally different. ijs... But yea, could be done for $600 or less now that I have learned a few things along the way.

Old October 1st, 2014, 12:29 PM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ gotcha

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 02:58 PM   #28
GreatScott
Virgin Blood

Name: GreatScott

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja-250

I've read the GSXR shock swap a few times but still don't know for sure what the benefit is for this swap. I weigh around 275lbs... would the swap make my bike handle better?
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2014, 03:43 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
I've read the GSXR shock swap a few times but still don't know for sure what the benefit is for this swap. I weigh around 275lbs... would the swap make my bike handle better?
Depends on the type of riding you do and your tolerance level. Could make the highway less bumpy, could take more of the load during cornering (it should anyway). Then again, my main race competition runs a stock shock on the highest setting w/ 0 fuks given because it's his race bike. I say don't fix problems that don't exist, myself.

Old October 1st, 2014, 04:18 PM   #30
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
swapping to gsxr shock gives you damping adjustability. you can't adjust stock rear shock damping. stock gsxr spring is heavier than the stock ninja spring which is specced for someone 140#, so basically it would help someone over 200# in pretty much every way... provided it was in good working order.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:34 AM   #31
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

I'm watching this item on ebay.

Anyone have any good links about add on piggyback systems? (Do they work with an existing shock? I wouldn't think so....)

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:38 AM   #32
MirinNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Depends on the type of riding you do and your tolerance level. Could make the highway less bumpy, could take more of the load during cornering (it should anyway). Then again, my main race competition runs a stock shock on the highest setting w/ 0 fuks given because it's his race bike. I say don't fix problems that don't exist, myself.
What front end internal mods he running (if any)?
MirinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

He is super cheap. lol He changed the fork oil and cut some pvc preload spacers. That's it!!! Total: $23.49

Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:09 PM   #34
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I weigh about 180 with all my riding gear. I have the rear shock maxed up, and it feels soft and wallowy when I'm leaned over and have to make even the slightest adjustment to my line. The front end seems to exacerbate it.

A lot of the 250 guys here say just being able to adjust rebound and preload will be enough of a difference to get me most of the stability I need. Then again, I've shaved almost ten seconds in two months....with stock suspension, street tires, and only adding rearsets.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:15 PM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Then again, I've shaved almost ten seconds in two months....with stock suspension, street tires, and only adding rearsets.
What does that mean? 10 seconds is like..... stupid forever on the track.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:15 PM   #36
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
stock bones with the GSXR shock is lower then stock height.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2014, 06:40 AM   #37
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
He is super cheap. lol He changed the fork oil and cut some pvc preload spacers. That's it!!! Total: $23.49
lol, there are some guys out here that can ride the mess out of the crappy stock bits as well, wobbling and bobbing and jumping and skipping tires in a way that would have me cleaning my shorts lol. And win races too . I have to get up and go to work in the morning lol so mentally I have to give some "****".
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #38
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

True dat! Some of my best lap times was on a completely stock bike. The only mod was BT003's. Bike wassa chatterin' more danna angry squirrel on a cold Nov. morn'.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:09 AM   #39
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
What does that mean? 10 seconds is like..... stupid forever on the track.
Yeah, 2 months ago, I was running low 2:17s, this time out, my best time was a 2:08.2, and consistently around 2:10. It's mostly just me getting the feel for higher entry speed. I'm not creeping up on max lean angle nearly as much. Also, with the extra confidence that I'm not going to start dragging my toes/pegs anymore, when my knee first touches, I tuck it up and lean a bit more.

That's why I think I'm finally ready for the suspension upgrades. I'm closer to the bike's limits, and the suspension has noticeable feedback where it shouldn't.

Old October 10th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #40
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
intersted in this info too..

I am sure you are talking about a new gen 250.
What about using an SV 1999-2001 rear shock? Is that much of an upgrade?
I been looking but I believe many SV parts work on the new gen ninja but not sure (sure hope the work on my pre gen ninja as I am "shock less in the rear" at the moment"
I just wanted to point out that the stock SV shocks are junk, so never put one on a bike if you can avoid it!

I put a GSXR shock in my Ninja, never got around to taking it to the track after that though. Maybe next season
leed is offline   Reply With Quote