ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old February 15th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Am I flirting with disaster?

I'm looking to build a rack to hold my golf clubs. The rack is basically a 1" aluminum tube for the spine with U-brackets at the top and a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. A base will be attached to the bottom of the aluminum tubing which is where the bottom of the golf back will sit.

I plan to attach the base of the rack to the swingarm spool bolt and attach the top to my SW-Motech Alu-rack topcase rack. If i need additional stability at the base I'll bring another braket off of the rear chain guard bolt. Bag weighs 16lbs and I'm estimating the rack to be 5-8lbs.

Question is, am I being stupid by making the swingarm load bearing? Doesn't seem like a great idea since it bypasses the shock, but it's not much weight. Bag will be almost vertical so figure 90% of the 20+lbs. Also, is that much weight only on one side enough to create significant handling issues?

For reference, here is a shot of where the rack will be mounted. You can see the 3 potential connection points.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (103.2 KB, 37 views)
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #2
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

I would mount it to the rear peg, mounting it to the swing arm spool might not be a good idea. The golf bag will be able to move up and down if you mount it to the spool and may end up being a big disaster. I honestly would build a mount that bolts to where you rear peg bracket mounts to the frame, coming down as far from the frame as possible and then attaching it to your top case for support. I have been thinking about making one for my pregen, but I also just bought a 2003 honda shadow so I may just make a mount for it instead
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
...........I plan to attach the base of the rack to the swingarm spool bolt and attach the top to my SW-Motech Alu-rack topcase rack...........
If I understand correctly, that is not a good idea, since there is relative movement between those.

Some ideas:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7156272-0-large.jpg

http://2x2cycles.com/products/golf-bag-carrier/
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The swingarm already is a load bearing part. There is a fundamental problem with your selected mount points. The problem comes from connecting the spools to the bikes frame via a static/non flexible mount (the passenger peg/luggage rack for example). The shock needs to be able to move freely by allowing the swingarm to go up and down respectively to the frame.

Ever ride a hardtail?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Good points guys I didn't even consider the travel of the rear suspension vs the swing arm. The passenger peg certainly makes more sense but the only issue is that the angle of the clubs would interfere with the topcase.

What do you think about a "rack-less" system. Where I would mount the base to the swingarm spool and an independent bracket to the topcase rack. The bracket at the rack would really only provide lateral support and the weight would be on the spool bolt. That way both can travel without obstruction. I don't imagine there would be too much club bouncing unless I hit a crater or something...

Old February 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #6
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i would make a mount from the rearset and passenger peg bolts.

this way the golf bag is secured both vertically and laterally by the frame.

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.......I would mount the base to the swingarm spool and an independent bracket to the topcase rack....
Would you describe that independent bracket?

Old February 15th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #8
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

A good source of inspiration...google surf rack for motorcycle and the company that makes them should pop up.

I know I am seriously considering getting one since I love to surf but hate to drive and spend the $ on gas to do so...plus finding parking to surf can be a total PITA.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #9
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Would you describe that independent bracket?
Would really be just a U-bracket coming off the topcase rack. Opening of the u facing the front of the bike. The angle of the bag would cause it to rest on the bracket naturally. The bracket would be cradling it for lateral support. The arms of the bracket extend outward along the sides. A short bungee would close the loop preventing it from moving forward under heaving braking (though really the passenger peg wouldn't allow it to move forward much anyway).

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #10
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
A good source of inspiration...google surf rack for motorcycle and the company that makes them should pop up.

I know I am seriously considering getting one since I love to surf but hate to drive and spend the $ on gas to do so...plus finding parking to surf can be a total PITA.
There are a couple of companies making racks like this (2x2 cycles the link to which motofool posted is one) but they are expensive. $350 up to $500 and they mostly serve cruisers.

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Would really be just a U-bracket coming off the topcase rack. Opening of the u facing the front of the bike. The angle of the bag would cause it to rest on the bracket naturally. The bracket would be cradling it for lateral support. The arms of the bracket extend outward along the sides. A short bungee would close the loop preventing it from moving forward under heaving braking (though really the passenger peg wouldn't allow it to move forward much anyway).
I see; however, the up and down movement of the bag against the bracket would damage the bag.

A big area for the bag to rest on will be desirable, because, the forces of the pavement's irregularities are pretty strong as speed increases.

What about hanging the bag from the bottom-left side of the topcase rack, just like a saddlebag, but making no connection with the suspension.

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I see; however, the up and down movement of the bag against the bracket would damage the bag.

A big area for the bag to rest on will be desirable, because, the forces of the pavement's irregularities are pretty strong as speed increases.

What about hanging the bag from the bottom-left side of the topcase rack, just like a saddlebag, but making no connection with the suspension.
But then how would I keep the lower part of the bag from touching the chain or wheel? Or the ground when cornering to the left?

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #13
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Here's a look at the rack I was planning to build to hold the bag...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (45.1 KB, 1 views)

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
But then how would I keep the lower part of the bag from touching the chain or wheel? Or the ground when cornering to the left?
You could support it from the rear peg, or even replace the peg by a longer piece and wrap the bag with some bungee cord.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (291.2 KB, 10 views)

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
i would make a mount from the rearset and passenger peg bolts.

this way the golf bag is secured both vertically and laterally by the frame.
That's what the SW-Motech "Alu-Rack" rack I got for my Ninjette does. Very stable with whatever I can load on the 37 liter Coocase Wizard, and I'm not being gentle.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #16
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

So I decided the easiest and safest thing to do would be to mount it in line with the bike and lose the topcase when traveling to the course.

I ended up using a 1" square steel tube instead of aluminum. Since I was mounting to a secure point I felt it was okay to bear the extra weight of steel and gain the stability and strength. Steel proved a PITA to work with with all the cutting and drilling I had to do. Went through several cutting wheels and 2 battery charges on my drill but I'm happy with how it came out. The hardest part was fitting the angled pivot arm. I ended up using 1/8 hardend steel stock as a face plate. It is much more secure that I could have hoped.

I think I may end up going with a side mount rather than leaving it in line with the bike. Problem is that I have integrated tail lights so with the rack on, my brake lights and turn signals are not visible. I could move the pivot arm up the rack use a more horizontal angle so that the rack is centered with the bike.

I still need to tweak a couple things:
1. Raise the pivoting arm so the bag sits lower.
2. Install a receiver tube on the topcase rack so that it is less likely to be stolen while I'm chopping holes in the golf course. (I could use some suggestions on this one)
3. Install a base
4. Paint the whole thing black.

Big thanks @Motofool, @lgk, @csmith12 and others!

Here it is:

12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

You are welcome

You are very creative !

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I like it! How much you have in your mount?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #19
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

It looks like it would make the bike top heavy. I know the bag and clubs don't add a lot of weight but it definitely adds some and i'm sure it catches the wind pretty good. In a little while I will get the paper and pen out and the ol' tape measure and go out to the bike and design you a new mount but it will take some welding to make it.

Old February 18th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #20
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I would be more worried about launching the golf clubs when hitting a pothole than the handling characteristics of 16 extra pounds of unsprung weight.... really, you are likely to be careful with the clubs attached, so I don't think handling would be an issue. Attach it to the rear foot peg.

Old February 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #21
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

BlackNinja8's suggestion is interesting... centered behind the seat, but seems to block your tail light and brake light. That's just trouble waiting to happen.... unless you attach a remote light on the bag or holder.

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #22
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

This mount below made by 2x2 Cycles is what made me think about attaching it this way. Theres sits lower than mine does currently and I imagine that would make for less disruption in handing. Their rack costs $350, mine was about $35 in parts. If I were to buy just their rack without the the mounting plate it would still be $250.

Welding is out of the question for me. I can't do it and don't want to pay to have it done. The pivoting point is snugged tightly and secured to the frame by a hardened 1/8" steel mending plate. I placed 2 offset 1/4" bolts through the frame so there would be no up and down movement. There is absolutely no play in that joint.

Once I lower it a bit like the 2x2 cycles rack I don't think I'll have much problem with handling but the loss of my turn signals is an issue. If I can find an integrated brake/indicator strip to mount to the bottom of the rack, I'll consider it problem solved. Or else mounting it sidesaddle is still an option.

There is absolutely no chance of launching the clubs with a vertical mount like that. A club would have to have enough upward momentum to travel 36" upward to clear the bag and enough force to tear off the rain hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x2.jpg (197.6 KB, 11 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #23
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

There is absolutely no chance of launching the clubs with a vertical mount like that. A club would have to have enough upward momentum to travel 36" upward to clear the bag and enough force to tear off the rain hood.
I think you may have misunderstood me... or I wasn't clear in my first post

My concern was if the golf bag was mounted on the swing arm, it might launch golf clubs when you hit a pot hole. Mounting it centered on the rear where a top bag would go would certainly not launch clubs, but would/could block a cager's view of your brake lights.

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #24
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Oh I see what you meant. Yeah I'll have to remedy the blocked indicators before I can use it.

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #25
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

It seems that the V-storm in the picture has the brake and directional lights on the saddlebags to solve that problem.

Would you consider turning the assembly 90 degrees clockwise over the horizontal topcase rack and making the pivot perpendicular?

The lever is small; hence, 20 pounds and aerodynamic drag off-center wouldn't cause much trouble.

http://golfscene.ca/wp-content/uploa...cle-_caddy.jpg

You could add some wheels and make it a caddy carrier.........

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/GolfGalaxy/PAPMICINOLJPKHFK?$s7product$

.........or use some anti-theft bolts on the receiver tube and some lockable pin in order to remove just the rack when not in use.

http://www.specialized.com/aw/en/ftb...theft-bolt-kit

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #26
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
It seems that the V-storm in the picture has the brake and directional lights on the saddlebags to solve that problem.

Would you consider turning the assembly 90 degrees clockwise over the horizontal topcase rack and making the pivot perpendicular?

The lever is small; hence, 20 pounds and aerodynamic drag off-center wouldn't cause much trouble.

http://golfscene.ca/wp-content/uploa...cle-_caddy.jpg

You could add some wheels and make it a caddy carrier.........

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/GolfGalaxy/PAPMICINOLJPKHFK?$s7product$

.........or use some anti-theft bolts on the receiver tube and some lockable pin in order to remove just the rack when not in use.

http://www.specialized.com/aw/en/ftb...theft-bolt-kit
Here is how it looks side mounted. I guess I could mount it this way and lower the angle a bit so it doesn't ride so high. That would eliminate some drag and seems like it would handle better as well. It would sit similar to how it is in the 3rd pic. In this pic I add a vertical support bar.

Do you think that would be better than copying the Vstrom style and adding a remote brake/Indicator light?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (91.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (121.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (123.0 KB, 11 views)

Old February 18th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #27
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

This just seems like a bad idea from the start. You crazy golfers!!

Funny story; a skydiver friend of mine actually broke his ankle golfing. He said enough of that sport, its too dangerous and he'll stick to skydiving.

Last futzed with by SMman; February 20th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
SMman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #28
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.........Do you think that would be better than copying the Vstrom style and adding a remote brake/Indicator light?
Of course, much better.

With the solution shown in pic #3 you also lower the CG of the bag and move it toward the center line of the bike, reducing or eliminating the lever and rolling torque.

The extra brace reduces the stress on the angle joint.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #29
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

I'm going to set it up for both side and rear mounting and take a couple short rides to see which feels better. I found a set of trailer lights in my closet that I just attached to the rack. I'll get some photos up once I do the wiring on the bike tomorrow.

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #30
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

well I was making good head way with my mount till I started to weld a piece up and realized my welder was out of wire. Thanks alot dad

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #31
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Here's the rack set up with the trailer lights. Does it look kinda silly? Yes, but no more so than a guy carrying golf clubs on a motorcycle should look. I have it set up with quick connect male/female 4-pin connectors so its easy on and off. Rain stopped me from getting pics of the full set up but I'll get some up soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.6 KB, 4 views)

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #32
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Impressive !

Better verify the legalities, in case you need to ride at night and catch the attention of LEO's:

http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Publicati..._Equipment.cfm

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #33
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Here's the rack set up with the trailer lights. Does it look kinda silly? Yes, but no more so than a guy carrying golf clubs on a motorcycle should look. I have it set up with quick connect male/female 4-pin connectors so its easy on and off. Rain stopped me from getting pics of the full set up but I'll get some up soon.
Looks nice.... love those lights <snicker>.... I *do* like the lights, but couldn't ya have found something more sexy???

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #34
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Looks nice.... love those lights <snicker>.... I *do* like the lights, but couldn't ya have found something more sexy???
LOL, I figure my golfing buddies can get all of their laughter out of the way before I start swinging the clubs

I was going to go with an integrated LED bar to attach to the bottom of the rack. That was the sexier choice. But when I thought about it, I figured that this setup will attract a lot of attention from cagers trying to get a closer look. So hopefully these things are obtuse enough to make my braking and turning intentions clear. If I could get them to squirt out a oil patch to back people off my ass I'd be set!

Old April 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #35
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Finally success!!!

So I finally got it wired and mounted up properly. I initially had some issues with power draw from my incandescent trailer lights but this cheap LED taillight kit works nicely. Not as visible as I'd like but it works in tandem with my bikes integrated tail light so it only functions as the bike's sole indicators if you are directly behind me.

Once I arrived at the course people there couldn't stop talking about it. One guy offered to buy it off me and another offered to pay me to build one for him! I do need to add a support to the pivoting point but it is pretty sturdy and relatively light. Comes in at 6lbs fully wired and the total rig with the golf bag is 22lbs. Cost me around $70 to build but better planning and no waste cutting could certainly bring it in under $50.

Shoes, balls, tees, clothing, etc. go in the tailbag which fits perfectly under the rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (159.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg photo 6.jpg (94.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo 7.jpg (155.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo 8.jpg (160.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo 9.jpg (151.8 KB, 11 views)

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #36
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Awesome !!!

Is the light brake only?

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #37
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Does it mess up the handling to have that much weight so far aft and above the CoG?
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #38
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

It is an integrated light, so it has both turn signals, running, and brake lights.

No noticeable difference in handling. I don't even know its there - which is why I mounted it in line with the bike. I had it mounted perpendicular to the bike originally and forgetting it was there I tried to squeeze through a space at a traffic light and got the bag snagged on the grill of a truck. I had completely forgotten that it was there and that my bike was now effectively 2' wider than normal.

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #39
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Nice work!
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #40
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster