ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #41
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

Buy the complete gear first & then the bike. Thats how the bike industry should operate.
No gear no bike.

In my accurate yet humble opinion.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM   #42
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglory View Post
Buy the complete gear first & then the bike. Thats how the bike industry should operate.
No gear no bike.

In my accurate yet humble opinion.
Accurate indeed. If there is a helmet law, why not a full-gear (including helmet) law? - AM
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:33 PM   #43
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Accurate indeed. If there is a helmet law, why not a full-gear (including helmet) law? - AM
There shouldn't be either .... why not just outlaw motorcycles ?
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM   #44
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Kelly, where do you get your stats? I think that actual percentage of 250r riders who will crash is 90%.

What I don't get is the people who post about it like it is a badge of honor (or looking for sympathy).

If you crash, you're an idiot, you have no one to blame but yourself (no matter what the situation is). If you feel it's only a matter of when, it's going to come sooner rather than later. Crashing is not being able to handle every situation. If you feel you are going to crash (at some point) get a scooter and ride that until you feel that you can handle every situation. It will be cheaper (not safer) and you can still wear your gear.

I bet most of you who crash are deadly on a bicycle also.

Your life is in your hands. Think about what you are doing and whether you should really be on a motorcycle.
+1 Oscar

The whole problem with "Not if, but when." Is that it sounds like you're accepting it as inevitable fate. That you had no control of the situation. Baloney!!

We always have some control of the situation. We may not be able to "stop time" or "make cars fly with our mind." However, just recognizing the situation developing, or the potential for the situation, gives you a degree of control. Usually the best way to avoid a situation is to not get into it before it starts.

Many times accidents happen because the rider got into a situation where they had no idea what to do, and didn't realize it was dangerous until it was way too late. That's one of valuable lessons in learning from the mistakes of others: recognizing the potential dangers of a situation, even though you've never been in that situation.

The point is, there's always a possibility of an accident. One of the reasons we keep working to improve our abilities is to minimize the possibility of being in an accident.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:01 PM   #45
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Rhode Island doesn't have a helmet law (except for 1st year of license and passengers). I wear a helmet by choice, but to mandate full riding gear is going to far.

I know alot of guys with riding experience going back to the 60s. All with various (on track) experience including mx, enduro, trials, road racing, and drap racing. They always wear helmets, boots (not usually motorcycle boots), jeans, and those Belstaff jackets when on the road. The real Belstaff jacket made out of waxed cotton, or the nylon one. Now these jackets don't offer the abrasion protection of leather or the stronger textiles, but these guys are no squids either. They ride everything from old Triumphs, Velocettes, to interceptors, Ducs, Guzzis, BMW, and cruisers, and some brands that have gone out of business before some here were born. Some have had a fall, some haven't. They don't wheelie, or lane split (illegal here). They don't put anyone else at risk. Why should any of us pass judgement on their gear? They weigh their risk. I know a guy who sided a house, fell off the ladder and was in the hospital for months. someone else who slipped in his kitchen, banged his head, and died. Obviously he didn't expect to fall and die. Life is full of risks that we weigh everyday. The only way to be fully safe is to stay in bed, and even that isn't foolproof. OK I am rambling. I often wear a leather jacket, but a ride in a tshirt on the backroads is fun too. I never go without the helmet, because as you are tumbling on the ground its hard to control where your head lands (and I've broken 3 of them), but no leather or padding (or helmet) will save you everytime. A squid puts others at risk, someone without ATGATT puts oneself at a higher level of risk, no one else.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #46
n4t
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Well I've already given my "excuse" but honestly the way y'all are going about it is getting old. I mean please don't get me wrong because I really like it here and don't want to offend anyone or have anyone hate me. IMO I think y'all are wasting your time worrying about other people. If you wear full gear all the time then good for you, but busting someone's balls/ovaries about not wearing gear when you know obviously know it's not helping because I've seen a few posts saying so, it's just a waste of time. I don't wear gear when the weather isn't like it is now, you don't agree, I respect that, but why give me **** about it. I mean damn, yea I may wreck and break some bones but that is a risk I'M taking, not you. Some people may do it for different reasons than I do but so what, that's on them. Y'all wear gear, that's good, let that be your field, not what other people are wearing. Or better yet, go in a cruiser forum and bash on them, I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback, and maybe they will answer the question you are looking for never know. I'm probably gonna get flamed out of these forums but I just had to give my opinion on this because I keep seeing it everywhere "squids, squids squids!!!! hey look it's JESUS"

Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #47
n4t
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
<joins Kelly's Rant>

25 years of riding .... crashed 3 times (and I consider that lucky) ... full gear each time. THAT is why I am still alive, because I take protection seriously!
It drives me nuts to see the kids (and adults) in my area riding in jeans, t-sirts and tennis shoes!
Kelly's hit the nail on the head again!
Maybe God didn't want you to go? Maybe THAT's why you're still alive.
And it could be your brain bucket that saved you, has nothing to do with you wearing jacket/pants/gloves/boots... that just helps with the road rash

Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #48
n4t
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Rhode Island doesn't have a helmet law (except for 1st year of license and passengers). I wear a helmet by choice, but to mandate full riding gear is going to far.

I know alot of guys with riding experience going back to the 60s. All with various (on track) experience including mx, enduro, trials, road racing, and drap racing. They always wear helmets, boots (not usually motorcycle boots), jeans, and those Belstaff jackets when on the road. The real Belstaff jacket made out of waxed cotton, or the nylon one. Now these jackets don't offer the abrasion protection of leather or the stronger textiles, but these guys are no squids either. They ride everything from old Triumphs, Velocettes, to interceptors, Ducs, Guzzis, BMW, and cruisers, and some brands that have gone out of business before some here were born. Some have had a fall, some haven't. They don't wheelie, or lane split (illegal here). They don't put anyone else at risk. Why should any of us pass judgement on their gear? They weigh their risk. I know a guy who sided a house, fell off the ladder and was in the hospital for months. someone else who slipped in his kitchen, banged his head, and died. Obviously he didn't expect to fall and die. Life is full of risks that we weigh everyday. The only way to be fully safe is to stay in bed, and even that isn't foolproof. OK I am rambling. I often wear a leather jacket, but a ride in a tshirt on the backroads is fun too. I never go without the helmet, because as you are tumbling on the ground its hard to control where your head lands (and I've broken 3 of them), but no leather or padding (or helmet) will save you everytime. A squid puts others at risk, someone without ATGATT puts oneself at a higher level of risk, no one else.

^^^ didn't read that post, perfectly worded though

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM   #49
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
There shouldn't be either .... why not just outlaw motorcycles ?
You have a point. I can't see the "Outlaw Bikers", for example, going for any full-gear law, or obeying any if there were one. So, it boils back down to voluntary, and "survival of the geared".
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM   #50
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

This all strikes me as a lot of holier-than thou's.

Don't want to get hurt on a bike? Don't ride one. Bikes are ridiculously dangerous, ask anyone who doesn't ride....

Everyone crashes, took me 20 years of riding, but it happened. I had medium protection, no injury. Helmet wasn't touched, so I probably didn't need it in this instance.....

HOWEVER

The Ninja 250 is a beginner bike, and beginners crash like crazy. Noobs should be careful. If I was to go to a skateboard park, I would wear everything, cause I suck on a board, and I am definitely gonna fall...

After nearly 100,000 miles on motorcycles, and ONE crash, when someone calls me an idiot for riding a half mile to the store in shorts and a t-shirt....sorry, I think you are justifying your gear purchases....

I've seen lots of broken collarbones, fingers, and that wrist above....why isn't everyone tsk-ing about those injuries...cause no one make gear to protect those vulnerable body parts? Why not? Oh wait, lots of people make wrist protectors...for skateboards...why don't you wear it on a bike??? Too inconvenient??

Yeah, this is a crappy first post, I have no 'cred here, but back to the point...don't want to get hurt on a bike? Don't ride one...
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:48 PM   #51
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
This all strikes me as a lot of holier-than thou's.

Don't want to get hurt on a bike? Don't ride one. Bikes are ridiculously dangerous, ask anyone who doesn't ride....

Everyone crashes, took me 20 years of riding, but it happened. I had medium protection, no injury. Helmet wasn't touched, so I probably didn't need it in this instance.....

HOWEVER

The Ninja 250 is a beginner bike, and beginners crash like crazy. Noobs should be careful. If I was to go to a skateboard park, I would wear everything, cause I suck on a board, and I am definitely gonna fall...

After nearly 100,000 miles on motorcycles, and ONE crash, when someone calls me an idiot for riding a half mile to the store in shorts and a t-shirt....sorry, I think you are justifying your gear purchases....

I've seen lots of broken collarbones, fingers, and that wrist above....why isn't everyone tsk-ing about those injuries...cause no one make gear to protect those vulnerable body parts? Why not? Oh wait, lots of people make wrist protectors...for skateboards...why don't you wear it on a bike??? Too inconvenient??

Yeah, this is a crappy first post, I have no 'cred here, but back to the point...don't want to get hurt on a bike? Don't ride one...
To use your words, "this is a crappy first post" but it is still your first. Welcome to the group and, please, introduce yourself,

nb

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM   #52
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Jerry -

I certainly don't mind your post. Personally my views are probably somewhere in between yours and the OP's. Street protective gear may minimize some injuries, but other than a helmet it's going to be a very rare crash where any other gear made the difference between life or death. Or even very severe injuries and minimal injuries. Yes, I get the fact that knee protection & shoulder protection & ankle protection and all of those things are good things, and personally I wear all of it the vast majority of the time I'm on the bike. But if I come across riders who are wearing less than that, I just don't care that much to crusade for them to wear head-to-toe protective gear. It's their own choice, and they are the ones who will have to suffer the potential consequences. As you state, the fact is that nothing they wear will fully protect them from serious injury or worse, so to minimize injuries step 1 is to sell the bike, and a close 2nd is to actually concentrate on riding the bike well enough to avoid all but the most unavoidable crashes.

When a fellow rider crashes, I'm very happy if they were wearing appropriate gear to minimize their injuries, and even more than that I'm just happy if their injuries aren't too severe. If a fellow rider crashes and has a whole bunch of injuries that may have been minimized by gear yet they chose not to buy it / wear it, I'm still happy their injuries aren't worse, but I tend to have a little less sympathy. Especially if it's a single-bike crash that was likely avoidable, as in that case they've screwed up twice in a very short time period. Poor riding and poor gear choices, all in one fell swoop.

I guess if you had a 4 box matrix with the categories being:

Skilled Rider/Poor rider
Above-average safety gear/Poor safety gear

I'd feel much more comfortable riding with the folks in the skilled rider side of the matrix, regardless of gear, even to the extent that a skilled rider with poor safety gear is in my mind a safer bet than a poor rider with above-average safety gear. Now for the schmoes who can't ride and also ride with minimal or no gear, well their choices will catch up with them sooner rather than later no matter what we try and do, so why stress?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #53
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Sorry Jerry, but from your post it sounds like you're the one that's trying to be holier-then-thou with the "ONE crash in 20 years".

The point of this post is the belief in ATGATT. The point of the idea is that by doing such you minimize the amount of injury you sustain if/when you wreck. If you have no respect for yourself then continue riding w/o gear all you want. If you don't like our way of doing things then don't listen. We're here to try and get riders to ride safer, not to tell them to ride dangerously, they don't need any help doing that.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM   #54
kkim

Okay, the intent of the original post was not meant to polarize the forum into battling camps, but was more to show riders who don't gear up what can happen and happen often with the high number of beginner riders on the board. If someone doesn't set an example, how do they know what's "proper" safety equipment?

I was getting tired of reading of all the crashes that had been happening in the last few weeks, seeing the injuries that resulted and was trying to urge people if they were thinking of getting safety gear, get it BEFORE they crashed instead of waiting till AFTER the fact to start searching.

Yeah, it's your choice to gear up or not, but instead of having yourself subjected to unnecessary physical harm, why not learn from others that have recently learned the hard way and do something to prevent/minimize that from happening to yourself?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #55
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Eh, I'm indifferent on this issue - if someone wants to ride in a T-shirt, let them - no need to be gear Nazi's about it. Most of the people on this forum who choose to "squid", know the consequences of not wearing race leathers, etc. and these posts won't change a thing- like someone stated above, responsible riders who choose not to gear up ALL the time are putting themselves at risk as a personal choice.

They're not breaking the law, who are we to judge him/her?

.. and where do you draw the line? What about all the broken collarbones, whiplash, sprained wrists, bruised hips, etc.? You can get wrist guards to wear under gauntlet gloves, and neck support systems under leather jackets (pricey, but available), and armored shorts under leather pants that can all but eliminate 90% of these injuries.. how many of you wear these? Yet no one's yelling "squid" when someone crashes and breaks a wrist for not wearing gauntlet gloves + heavy duty wrist guards.

IMO, life's all about making compromises that you can live with.. everyone has a different set of standards and as long as you are aware of the consequenes of whatever compromises you may be making and are willing to accept the risks of doing so, then more power to ya.

Just my 2 cents. Carry on =)
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:54 AM   #56
MtnCruiser
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2 2004 Ninja 250 and 2008 VTX 1300

http://www.rockthegear.org/
MtnCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:03 AM   #57
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

A life motto: Learn from the mistakes of others, you cannot make them all yourself.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM   #58
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I wear what I want when I want,

and I have the scares to prove it

Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM   #59
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Eh, I'm indifferent on this issue - if someone wants to ride in a T-shirt, let them - no need to be gear Nazi's about it. Most of the people on this forum who choose to "squid", know the consequences of not wearing race leathers, etc. and these posts won't change a thing- like someone stated above, responsible riders who choose not to gear up ALL the time are putting themselves at risk as a personal choice.
I generally agree with you on this, and this is typically the stance I take with the whole squid vs ATGATT issue, but I do see and appreciate the need for this type of thread....especially on a forum like this. Ninjette.org is one of the better forums I've ever been on, and it is also more likely to have a whole slew of beginner riders on it. Some of them may simply be going squid due to a lack of understanding or appreciation of how serious the consequences of not riding with gear can be.

I don't think it was Kelly's intent to lecture the more experienced riders and start a whole debate about personal choice vs. the "right" thing to do. If you've been riding for 'X' number of years and you feel that riding around in nothing but a helmet is justified, then more power to you. However, as a new rider, with NO experience to base your decisions on, threads like this can make a world of difference. This is all part of the experience really....and how can a newb make an informed, personal decision, without any prior experience?

It's best to start out overly cautious, make your mistakes with the right gear on, and if, after a while, you feel that you want to ditch all the safety equipment and ride around in a t-shirt and shorts with your friends, despite everything you've learned up until that point about injuries and etc....then so be it. It's better than just starting off the wrong way because "everyone else is doing it".

Just my 2 cents...
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM   #60
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If someone doesn't set an example, how do they know what's "proper" safety equipment?
That's a very good point - until I crashed last November, I didn't truly know a) how slick 35* roads are or b) how little jeans help. I took it as a great learning experience, but it's definitely one I'd prefer not to have had - even though I ended up with only a scuffed jacket and a bruised hip.

I have to say, though, you did use a bit of a polarizing tone
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM   #61
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
I actually think the government should tell us how to do, act, wear, and think about everything we do. We are headed that way anyway. It worked so well in Russia for all those years, it's working in North Korea right now. People are too stupid to think for themselves and are actually a danger to themselves. If the government doesn't step in a control all of our lives we are doomed.

The only free thinkers should be the law makers (politicians). They know what is best for us and they have no problem telling us.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM   #62
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Spoken like a true Socialist.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM   #63
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It's communism comrad. We are all equal and should all have the same. Redistribute the wealth, everyone should have equal rights, land, income, and only the politicians should have more (they are above everyone else anyway). The government should own all the corporations, they should tel the CEOs how much they can make, and they should tax anyone who has more than anyone else. The rich should pay for the poor until the rich are just as poor. It's only fair.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM   #64
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
It's communism comrad. We are all equal and should all have the same. Redistribute the wealth, everyone should have equal rights, land, income, and only the politicians should have more (they are above everyone else anyway). The government should own all the corporations, they should tel the CEOs how much they can make, and they should tax anyone who has more than anyone else. The rich should pay for the poor until the rich are just as poor. It's only fair.
And thus begets 1984........or Obamageddon.

Back on topic...I'm very Libertarian on this issue. As long as YOUR body belongs to YOU, YOU should be free to do with it as you please. That means reaping the rewards or suffering the consequences.

Just like drunk driving, society as a whole continues to tolerate it. Thus, we get the news stories of the third, fourth, or fifth time drunk driver that finally killed someone other than themselves. THEN we're outraged.......Where was the outrage on the first or second offense? And the outrage seems to be more that some innocent got killed rather than at the system that allowed the guilty to go free the first time.

I think the whole thing is rooted in the idea of "Well, if I'm ever in that situation, I want to be able to go free/get paid/get famous, too!"

Unfortunately, that means that everyone has to pay more than they should because our overly litigeous society DEMANDS that anyone exercising free will and damaging themselves or property claim that THEY were the victim instead of the guilty party, regardless of the truth. Activist judges and juries only add to the class envy problem when it comes to rich guy/poor guy or average guy/corporation, as the poor/average guy who screws himself always seems to get financially compensated for HIS OWN DUMB ACTIONS.

I recognize your right to wear only squid gear, as long as you recognize my right to wear my safety gear, and we'll both agree not to militantly push our preferences on each other.

That means.....if you don't RIDE, DON'T push your silly (activist) agenda in MY city council or state for YOUR percieved need to protect YOURSELF from my FREE WILL, especially if it's well within the limits of current, common sense ordinances. Maryland's law that effectively outlaws simple, cheap, available foamy ear plugs in favor of custom molded, expensive, exclusive ear plugs is one example.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #65
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
What always makes me smile at your posts CC is that I know a small percentage of the thread readers are going to miss that you're putting them on. Internet comedy at its finest.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #66
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What always makes me smile at your posts CC is that I know a small percentage of the thread readers are going to miss that you're putting them on. Internet comedy at its finest.
Oh, it wasn't missed, and I know how CC is so I wasn't addressing him but rather that mode of thinking. It is an indication of where our society is headed, where the vocal minority rule the overly passive majority based on scare tactics and a carefully crafted perception of need.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM   #67
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:

CC as I only have my 250R can you share some of your bike wealth with me. The gsxr will do fine comrade.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #68
backinthesaddleagain

someone mentioned you never see a skiier or snowboarder without gear. Ever see a ski jacket that saved someones life after hitting a tree? Me neither.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #69
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
someone mentioned you never see a skiier or snowboarder without gear. Ever see a ski jacket that saved someones life after hitting a tree? Me neither.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. It surely prevented the guy in my group from getting hypothermia (after going off trail at high speed and hitting a tree that knocked him out) while ski patrol took their silly ass time responding.....

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #70
backinthesaddleagain

Here's an except from the story that appeared on Sportrider.com where the columnist blasts his Ducati sales girl friend.

"...Lindsey Redfern comes quite close to the idealized sportbike-riding dream girl. She's a youthful, attractive willowy blonde with the curves to match her Ducati and often, as she did on this day, shows off her taught, tattooed midriff. And until I saw her riding that fateful Saturday prior to our local suspension set-up seminar, I thought she possessed good judgment as well. The weekend before, I'd seen her on the track in full riding gear skillfully carving her way through the interesting combination of radius, camber and elevation changes of our local track. When I spotted Lindsey on the day of our Suspension Set-Up Seminar, I planned to ask her what she was thinking riding through town dressed as she was when I saw her the day before. As always, though, people flocked around her and (uncharacteristically for me) not wanting to publicly embarrass her, the opportunity was lost when she departed early to return to work.

"The following weekend I heard news that a motorcycle accident victim suffered severe injuries. The description of the accident victim fit Lindsey perfectly: young, tall, thin and attractive blonde with a tattooed midriff--wearing no protective gear. The woman's injuries were severe enough that the likelihood of her survival teetered on either side of even odds..."

Complete story here: http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...hip/index.html

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #71
backinthesaddleagain

Forgot the pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DucGirl.jpg (35.3 KB, 14 views)

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM   #72
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I saw the article you're talking about awhile back, but the link in your post is dead.

EDIT: Fixed link. It had been abbreviated, as many forums, including this one, shorten links and put that ... in them when they get too long, and then if you copy that shortened link, it doesn't work. I replaced it with the original link to the sportrider article.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM   #73
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Sport Rider has had a bad run over the years of their contributing writers and feature editors getting hurt badly on bikes. Their most recent one only just got out of the hospital and is facing months of physical therapy rehab, and probably the life long loss of the ability to ever ride again.

This is in spite of them mostly getting dibs on (and using) some choice gear for dealer cost (or often free for evaluation).

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM   #74
backinthesaddleagain

My point is that no piece of gear can prevent the damage done by impact all the time. While I wear a helmet I know that if a car comes head on and takes me out the helmet is probably not going to save me, but in less serious cases it probably will. I don't think people should feel immune to injury due to the gear they wear. I saw a documentary where a skier was crushed by an avalanche. The rescuers said her 1 piece ski suit was like a bag full of jelly, as her body was destroyed. The suit did its job, keeping her cold, as it did for the friend who was knocked out in the woods, but it didn't prevent or minimize the knockout.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM   #75
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Sport Rider has had a bad run over the years of their contributing writers and feature editors getting hurt badly on bikes. Their most recent one only just got out of the hospital and is facing months of physical therapy rehab, and probably the life long loss of the ability to ever ride again.

This is in spite of them mostly getting dibs on (and using) some choice gear for dealer cost (or often free for evaluation).

Yeah, he was doing tire testing on the street. Quite an article he wrote on that.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM   #76
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
I saw the article you're talking about awhile back, but the link in your post is dead.

EDIT: Fixed link. It had been abbreviated, as many forums, including this one, shorten links and put that ... in them when they get too long, and then if you copy that shortened link, it doesn't work. I replaced it with the original link to the sportrider article.

Thanks - didn't think to check it. As an IT director I assume everything in computerland works 100% of the time!! Hold on my phone is ringing as one of my users has a problem with their computer,

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #77
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yup. Trevitt (sportrider editor) was wearing the best gear available. A friend of a friend just crashed this past Sunday at 30 mph on Mt. Hamilton (where the monthly ninjette ride will be headed this saturday), and even though he wears a 1-piece leather suit with back protector, and of course top-notch gloves, boots, and helmet, didn't keep him from breaking his neck (c5) on what many of us would consider a low-speed crash. Good news is he appears to have feeling and motion everywhere, though some tingles and potential nerve damage. No moral to this story, but the plain fact is that gear, even the very best gear, is not even close to a guarantee against getting hurt. Even getting hurt very badly. Only way to guarantee not getting hurt is to not crash.

In that case, seems like if we are going to decide to ride motorcycles we should aspire to be better skilled riders as our primary, and almost sole, goal. Aspiring to own or wear the very best gear from head to toe, and to make sure all of our friends and acquaintances do as well, seems like a noble goal, but it's secondary at best.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM   #78
backinthesaddleagain

well said. while i have talked/typed myself dry on the topic. guess I better get back to work.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM   #79
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
In that case, seems like if we are going to decide to ride motorcycles we should aspire to be better skilled riders as our primary, and almost sole, goal.
Good point, and one that seems most often overlooked. Skill and experience are what bolster the best piece of safety gear we have....our brains!

Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM   #80
Graphic Twist
- beyond titles -

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (Black)

So this thread has given me a question...

Here's my situation: I just bought my bike. I have a helmet and boots for riding. But then due to a miss-communication with my bank, I lost some of my available credit and this wreaked all sorts of havoc with my cash flow (I'm getting it resolved, it just takes time). So I haven't had the funds available to get the gloves, pants, and a jacket for riding yet...

Since I couldn't get that gear, I haven't even picked up my bike yet. It's been at the dealers, fully paid for, for a week and a half now. I'm getting impatient though, so I was planning on buying the pants and gloves and using a motorcycle style (though not motorcycle specific) leather jacket I already have. Is this really unwise of me? Should I absolutely wait until I have a specific riding jacket as well?

BTW: Just completed the motorcycle course this past Sunday...
Graphic Twist is offline   Reply With Quote