ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
"all work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

So was thinking about my riding a little today and this is kind of how i felt.

Since i got my bike in Oct. 2012 i have racked up close to 3000 miles. The vast majority of these miles have been highway and commuting miles. Most of my riding is done to and from work and on occasion in order just to get somewhere and back.
However this weekend i was lucky enough to get out and do some pleasure riding. Only second time i had gotten a chance, and i was able to find some great back country roads with no traffic and some nice turns. I had lots of fun and definitely went fast and everything felt good. But i could not help but think about my lack of experience in these kinds of situations. I am super comfortable on the highway, highwind, rain, night time, traffic you name it cuz i have done it all numerous times, but I find it hard to push the bike to it's full capabilities or even probably 80% of its capabilites on these back roads or twisties mainly due to my sense of caution with road conditons. It is hard for me to get over the foresight that around every turn could be....well anything.

In short, i need to do more pleasure riding and work on my twisties but keep it safe. Any suggestions other than going to the track? I am broke and not even sure how much a track day costs and am not sure it would be for me either way.

Was thinking about setting up cones in a large vacant parking lot or something of that nature.

cheers,
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

It's actually a very good thing that you're cautious though. Once you become more familiar with the roads you'll know what to expect and be able to push you and your bike a little bit harder each time. Just be sure not to go TOO crazy on public roads
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I don't see any problem, Joe.

A track day will not give you X-ray sight to see around a blind corner or any other special skill to prevent an accident on public roads used at excessive speeds.

You are just being cautious where it is important to be so.
Maybe you could go faster and enjoy the ride more if you learn to use your vision and lane position in a more efficient manner.

Find some practical tips here:

http://www.lateralg.org/tips/apex1.htm

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ri...on-open-roads/

There are exercises in parking lots, specially emergency stops, that are challenging and can greatly help you increase your overall control and confidence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hebbian.jpg (106.5 KB, 19 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #4
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

I think this is where I am. Just not to your extent obviously. I'm not that seasoned yet haha

But I realized that the other day. I haven't gone on many pleasure rides, just work commute, and to pop down to store and what not.

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

I go on pleasure rides at night all time time. The first few times I went out I wasn't too sure how much I should push myself. Over time though I started realizing what I was capable of and knew my limits and started having a blast on the few windy roads I can find in my area. Also, if you're going to go out and ride for fun you have to be prepared to switch to serious mode within a fraction of a second in case your bike does something you didn't expect or a cager does something they shouldn't be doing in front or next to you.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #6
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

This is what Sunday mornings are for. Most of my miles are logged during the commute so I agree that this only takes you so far. So on Sunday I go all the way downtown for coffee and a bagel. Then head out in a different direction each time for an hour or two then back home.

Obviously you're not going to push to far past comfortable on roads that you don't know, but just having the extra seat time on back roads that aren't straight and flat or stop and go will improve skills.

Also read anything put out there by Keith Code (the movie was really good too). Most is geared toward the track but there is a ton of stuff you can apply to everyday street rides.

Old January 14th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I don't see any problem, Joe.

A track day will not give you X-ray sight to see around a blind corner or any other special skill to prevent an accident on public roads used at excessive speeds.

You are just being cautious where it is important to be so.
Maybe you could go faster and enjoy the ride more if you learn to use your vision and lane position in a more efficient manner.

Find some practical tips here:
Thanks!

I think this is what i need, just need to find the right parking lot and have some safe fun where i can push the bike and myself a little bit more.

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Total control book has many parking lot practice sessions suggested inside. Might be a good idea to buy/borrow the book and try to work it out from there.

You need full gear. No half solutions here - you do not need track leathers (you can't go wrong with these of course, good fit track suit is amazing to ride in), but you need at least street safe armored gear.

Keep in mind that, while doing parking lot exercises, the risk of personal injury is minimal, but risk of bike damage is not so. Any form of "pushing" usually leads to some sort of a slip. This will all probably be in the range of a smashed blinker, scratched fairing or bent handlebar or gear lever. Nothing substantial - but it can at least make the ride home difficult. Frame sliders are your save in these low speed slips, so it might be a good idea to get those installed.

The road can never be as fun as the track is. The fact that you are afraid of what comes behind that blind corner just proves that you have enough brains for self preservation. There is absolutely nothing brave or great or fun in getting yourself killed or injured. It's just stupid.
You may not have enough money now, but eventually you will. Once you try the track, you will realize how confining and terrifying public road really is.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Thanks!

I think this is what i need, just need to find the right parking lot and have some safe fun where i can push the bike and myself a little bit more.
You are welcome

Check these as well:

http://amgrass.com/

http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

Old January 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Well let's be honest here, you're having trouble pushing the bike to 20% of its capability and you should go to the track
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
In short, i need to do more pleasure riding and work on my twisties but keep it safe. Any suggestions other than going to the track? I am broke and not even sure how much a track day costs and am not sure it would be for me either way.

Was thinking about setting up cones in a large vacant parking lot or something of that nature.
Having fun is what it's all about yo.

With 3k under your belt, you don't have to jump straight into track riding to continue to learn. There are plenty of skills you can work on while keeping it safe and legal on the streets. But really.... enjoy the time you have now being new. It's truly one of the best times.

Going slow:
Nothing wrong with doing as much parking lot practice as you can. Especially the brake skills, figure 8's and conscious counter steering.

Going faster:
First watch TOTW2.

Next would be to gear up and leave your ego at home.

Next skills to work on could be visual skills and line selection. On any given corner there are multiple lines that can be taken and still obey throttle control rule #1. You know what that rule is right? Do you know how to decide what line to take? Do you know the pro's and cons to different lines? When/why would you use one vs another? Be mindful of where you turn in the bike, early vs late.

After that, go for a ride in the rain or on wet pavement. Take it slow and easy, because it's only a matter of time before you get caught out in it. Might as well meet it head on. It forces you to be uber smooth. I was reminded of this when I did a track day in LITERALLY a hurricane. I had to check myself many times to be really smooth on the inputs.

Track:
Doing a track day is about continuing education. A lot of riders forget that or see it as only going fast. Find a track org with a good school aspect, seriously helpful coaches or with a trusted friend that can answer any questions you have. Imho it's the safest and fastest way to learn to get the most out of your bike AND more importantly yourself.

The track is expensive... to tell the truth. You might get away with only spending $200-$300 by having everything ahead of time and sharing a ride with a friend. I have spent nearly 1k on a weekend at the track going solo.

Keep rackin' up those miles and learn to listen to your bike. It's always saying or whispering something.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Having fun is what it's all about yo.
.................Keep rackin' up those miles and learn to listen to your bike. It's always saying or whispering something.
Excellent post !!!

Old January 18th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #13
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

Quote:

move in my neck of the woods...

gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post

ftfy
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

lol, awesome Jiggles!

Old January 18th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #16
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Well let's be honest here, you're having trouble pushing the bike to 20% of its capability and you should go to the track
You know what they say, 78.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot, and "60% of the time....it works everytime!"

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #17
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
ftfy
win

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #18
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Nice thread. I feel the exact same as the OP. That is why I enrolled in CSS level 1 in May. Also, I'm signing up for my first official track day in april. I do agree with folks who say to set aside seat time for twistie roads. In the summer I rode a few weekends in a row to/through Bear Mountain/Seven Lakes/Harriman State Park and felt much more comfortable. After not riding the twisties in the last few months, I feel as though I can't do what I was doing during the summer. I have I season (13k miles) under my belt with at least 80% of that commuting.

The good news is, that I feel like I can get out of a jam much better than before (emergency swerve or brake) and I feel much more comfortable around other bikes.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #19
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
When a few of us started racing the YSR50s, on non race weekends we'd go to a metro link parking lot and setup a track with soccer cones. The lot was the size of 4 football fields with zero light poles or parking blocks just flat asphalt. It quickly when past just learning basics to full on staged races against friends and we even had a few Leo's show up to spectate. Most riders would crash once per visit but in full leathers and a top speed of 55 with nothing to hit its quite safe. After like 8 back to back weekends of this the 5 riders that frequented the parking lot races went from mid pack beginners to surpassing the current experts.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #20
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
@rojoracing53 That sounds like a blast. I would definitely consider picking up a small cc used bike that i would not mind laying over to do something like this.

Old January 18th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post

I am sooooo jealous right now!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #22
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
So who wants to go to Argentina with me to practice my cornering.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #23
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Let's go. Right Now. Seriously.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #25
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Dang. Can I bring my s14?
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote