ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #121
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Definitely going to annoy the heck out of her with safety stuff lol, taking it very slow (literally lol not even going to ride fast) and hoping for a good ride! Will make sure I post how it goes
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #122
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Definitely going to annoy the heck out of her with safety stuff lol, taking it very slow (literally lol not even going to ride fast) and hoping for a good ride! Will make sure I post how it goes
Don't go too slow, the faster you go, the more stable the bike and the less affect she'll have if she shifts her weight. Just ride the posted speed limits - nothing more, nothing less.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #123
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Practice in a parking lot, for both her and for you, she needs to learn how to be a passenger and you need to learn how to ride with a passenger. An empty backpack provides a stable place for her to slide her hands inside and feel secure.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM   #124
KawiKid860

Ehh I'd like to go to a parking lot, but I think a residential neighborhood will do just as well. Almost no traffic, + real life problems like STOP SIGNS AHHH

Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:41 AM   #125
KawiKid860

Tried to post this earlier but my computer wouldn't let me and I didn't feel like retyping it, now I just got off work and am very tired so please excuse any typos lol

So our ride was AMAZING!! Everything went extremely well! Better than I could've hoped! Things were a bit wobbly at first, gave her a pre-ride pep talk then pulled over frequently to discuss stuff I was noticing and after a little while we were really getting better, stops felt natural, the lag between me trying to initiate a turn and then her leaning was reduced to nothing, and everything was just smooth. I could always tell the difference in handling though, bike over all felt soggier and when she stepped off the rear really came up, must have compressed the suspension a lot but it didn't bottom out, the ride was still smooth with no problems over bumps. Did emergency braking and swerving and what not, she did super well, our helmets only touched a couple times and after I pointed that out to her it didn't happen again and during hard braking my man parts were never crushed! So after 25mph residential roads that we had ridden several times got repetitive, I took it to the streets. Started out on smaller less busy streets of course, I knew the acceleration of my bike would be effected but I guess I'm so used to the quickness of it that how much my bike was slowed down really surprised me, starting took a bit of extra clutch slipping and more throttle and generally to keep a similar pace to what I normally ride like, 1000-2000 rpms extra were needed. 4th gear which has enough power at 40mph to pull me out of trouble also felt extremely bogged down with her on the back, and she isn't heavy, guess that's just the nature of a 50hp bike. Everything went well in the city, I was always braking earlier than usually and being extra smooth with my shifts. We still both have a lot to learn but I was highly impressed by how good she was as a first time passenger, and the difference to the bikes performance is easy to get used to. I actually felt really off when I was riding back home alone, like similar wobbliness to when I first started riding with her, but the bike did feel a lot more responsive again

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:53 AM   #126
Jvello15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

When I bought my bike I went ahead and purchased riding gear (jacket, helmet, gloves) for a passenger as well because I knew I'd eventually have one. I also took an unexperienced rider as my first passenger. I did mention to them not to lean against me or fidgeting around a lot. I do find myself braking or letting off the throttle much sooner when I have a passenger and giving myself extra space to stop. Even during the summer I encouraged my passenger (girlfriend at the time) to wear gloves just in case we did wreck since your natural reaction is to brace your fall. There was seldom times when we'd ride without helmets. Even if I had to go to her house to pick her up I'd use my helmet lock to attach it to the bike. Once, I even partially sat on her jacket to carry it over to her house.. I'm sure I looked pretty cool with a pink jacket between my legs lol I eventually picked up a pair of passenger grab bars for my bike so for longer rides she didn't have to constantly be leaned over grabbing me or even one hand around the waist and one hand holding a grab bar. I really enjoy being able to ride two up on my bike when it's a more casual bike ride. It's always fun dropping them off too and feeling the performance increase all over again Glad to hear the ride turned out well with no problems!

Last futzed with by Jvello15; December 21st, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Jvello15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM   #127
LexisReid
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexis

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Revelation!

Okay, On topic, but not at all directed to the OP, whom I am glad is having good and safe experiences with 2-up riding.

I'm personally new to riding (September), but hubby has been riding for nearly 6 years now! Reading this and other 2-up posts had the effect of... making me YELL at my husband! I don't think he had his bike 2 weeks before he had me on the back of that thing! Now, he "seemed" incredibly capable with no noticeable difficulties adjusting to having a rider (not wobbly, jerky or anything to cause me alarm), however, just KNOWING now how early in his riding experience that was is a bit MORTIFYING to me.

I definitely fussed him out and told him he was trying to kill us both! I don't remember when it was, but probably months into our 2-Up riding, he did drop the bike when we had to come to a sudden stop and he couldn't make up for the weight shift differential. He also accidentally got the front tire off the ground once (don't remember if that as the GXS-R or the CBRR)... he was very excited about his accidental baby wheelie...

So the lesson here folks is DON'T RIDE WITH NOOBS! LOL... Or crazy boyfriends or husbands.

No, but really, just keep in mind that it is all a learning process, and really give yourself time to feel comfortable, but not overconfident with your ride. I much prefer riding my own to riding two up, because the lack of control and the amount of trust required is enormous! Not to mention that passengers who don't know how to ride do not fully understand the risk that they are taking or the skill require for you to execute a safe ride. Understanding that better now, I wouldn't have put myself in that same position until DH had much more riding experience. And my husband is probably the most safe, responsible rider I know... then and now.

Old December 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM   #128
Flying Pig
Resident Lurker

Name: Solomon

Motorcycle(s): R6, Strom, 250R, CH80 Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexisReid View Post
Okay, On topic, but not at all directed to the OP, whom I am glad is having good and safe experiences with 2-up riding.

I'm personally new to riding (September), but hubby has been riding for nearly 6 years now! Reading this and other 2-up posts had the effect of... making me YELL at my husband! I don't think he had his bike 2 weeks before he had me on the back of that thing! Now, he "seemed" incredibly capable with no noticeable difficulties adjusting to having a rider (not wobbly, jerky or anything to cause me alarm), however, just KNOWING now how early in his riding experience that was is a bit MORTIFYING to me.

I definitely fussed him out and told him he was trying to kill us both! I don't remember when it was, but probably months into our 2-Up riding, he did drop the bike when we had to come to a sudden stop and he couldn't make up for the weight shift differential. He also accidentally got the front tire off the ground once (don't remember if that as the GXS-R or the CBRR)... he was very excited about his accidental baby wheelie...

So the lesson here folks is DON'T RIDE WITH NOOBS! LOL... Or crazy boyfriends or husbands.

No, but really, just keep in mind that it is all a learning process, and really give yourself time to feel comfortable, but not overconfident with your ride. I much prefer riding my own to riding two up, because the lack of control and the amount of trust required is enormous! Not to mention that passengers who don't know how to ride do not fully understand the risk that they are taking or the skill require for you to execute a safe ride. Understanding that better now, I wouldn't have put myself in that same position until DH had much more riding experience. And my husband is probably the most safe, responsible rider I know... then and now.
They say that hindsight is 20/20

I agree though, people in general should put more thought into who they trust their life with. I know some will jump at the opportunity to ride with anybody, and I'm kind of scared for them as I know some less-than-safe riders who will take nearly anybody for a ride too. Definitely not a good combination.

But nowadays, I have friends regularly asking me for rides, so I figure I must be doing pretty good

I've given a 2-up ride on a 250r a while ago, but it's a blast on my R6 that's well setup for me
I've even taken my friend for a ride on their FZ6.

If any of you want a real 2-up ride though, go find your local trackday provider at your local track. You'll need full gear and to sign a disclaimer, but they (at least the ones on the west coast) don't charge to take you out for a few 2-up laps. It's a pretty safe bet that the instructors willing to do 2-up rides are skilled, and they'll go much faster and smoother than anybody will sanely go on the street.

b- king 2 up #3.jpg

Old December 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM   #129
LexisReid
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexis

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
If any of you want a real 2-up ride though, go find your local trackday provider at your local track. You'll need full gear and to sign a disclaimer, but they (at least the ones on the west coast) don't charge to take you out for a few 2-up laps. It's a pretty safe bet that the instructors willing to do 2-up rides are skilled, and they'll go much faster and smoother than anybody will sanely go on the street.
This is kind of AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!

Old December 21st, 2011, 10:46 AM   #130
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

and yeah thats prolly the only time Id really wanna 2up with another male. Or another rider in general
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM   #131
Jvello15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexisReid View Post
I don't think he had his bike 2 weeks before he had me on the back of that thing!
I probably did about the same thing. I'd say it was within the first month of me having MY bike. Although by the time I had purchased my bike I had my license for nearly 2-3 years but had only rode an ex-gf's dad's fz1 for a few bike rides to learn on. I wasn't completely educated with two up riding, however I used my common sense to realize that I'd need to give myself more stopping time and that my passenger needed to know not to be wiggling/dancing around back there. Actually, the first time she was on the back of my bike, we had only went to the end of her street and back at about 10-15mph just so we could both get a feel for what it'd be like (also her helmet had not came in yet at that time).
Jvello15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #132
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

2up riding

Had a passenger for the first time since I started riding (over a year ago) and wow it made a huge difference. Noticed the difference in acceleration, braking and handling. It was the first time I was meticulously checking everything!

Now I have a few questions:
This applied mainly when I was braking but, whenever I was braking my friend would slide against me and I would be holding her weight too...how do I avoid this?

And also, any tips for riding 2up?

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #133
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with a few good 2-up threads.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #134
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

My girlfriend and I ride 2 up all the time. Our combined weight is about 290 lbs. It definitely affects the performance of the bike. But it really isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. The only problem I've found with it is that it causes a problem with the aim of the headlight at night. It tends to shine just a little bit too high causing oncoming drivers to think I have my high beam on. But, this could have something to do with the fact that I still have the rear shock on its factory (softest) setting. Only other issue was we took a 950 mile trip together and it cause quite a bit of premature wear on the rear tire.

Haven't really hit anything curvy with her on the bike yet. But as for as city and even highway riding, there isn't that much difference once you get up to speed.

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #135
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

I have my preload on 4...need to put it on 5 but it wont budge for some reason (will be loking into it later this week). For me I am a bit on the heavier side (220lbs) and my friend was around 140ish, maybe a bit lower. In terms of the bike picking up speed etc it wasnt all that bad but just experiencing the difference between solo and 2 up was huge. Once i dropped her off It felt like i Was flying!

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #136
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Yeah, from what I've read and heard from a fellow ninjette rider, you should definitely set the pre-load appropriately. Shouldn't really be the same as you riding along by yourself if you have a passenger.

Old February 18th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #137
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorgamez View Post
I have my preload on 4...need to put it on 5 but it wont budge for some reason (will be loking into it later this week). For me I am a bit on the heavier side (220lbs) and my friend was around 140ish, maybe a bit lower. In terms of the bike picking up speed etc it wasnt all that bad but just experiencing the difference between solo and 2 up was huge. Once i dropped her off It felt like i Was flying!
Have her put her hands on the tank during braking. Also tell her to grip you with her legs and tell her to stiffen her neck a bit so her helmet doesnt hit yours. I have close to 1000 miles now riding 2 up, I love it so much. I've ridden on the back of the back before, I hated it lol but I had much for respect for all the people Ive taken out

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #138
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

ok, what does 2 up mean?
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #139
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Riding with a passenger

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #140
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Have her put her hands on the tank during braking. Also tell her to grip you with her legs and tell her to stiffen her neck a bit so her helmet doesnt hit yours.
^ amen to that. That's what I have my passengers do, and wow does it make things so much easier. Also if she actually looks through turns that helps loads too.

Quote:
I've ridden on the back of the back before, I hated it lol but I had much for respect for all the people Ive taken out
Same here. That's where I really learned what I wanted my passengers to do based on how it felt to be on back. I don't like it much back there, but it gave me a good perspective of what the ladies are feeling when the ride with me.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #141
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
yea well 90% of the ppl wear sandals, or even barefoot! and often no helmet... let alone proper riding gear.

here is a classic picture of a balinese family riding to or from a ceremony

at least my gf and i have proper helmets, gloves, leather jacket, long pants (not leather tho, just gets too hot...) and shoes.

found some more pictures, this is what you see here every day, every minute that your on the road :P

Exactly the same here in Thailand but I insist on the wife at least wear a helmet (took a long time ) but she still wears shorts and flipflops

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #142
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

Ok...need some tips or advise. I've been trying to adjust the preload on to 5 for a few days now and it just wont budge after 4....i have no idea why!...I've been trying to do it with the bike on the kickstand...would that be a problem? I had no probs getting it up to 4 but after 4 it just won't budge! any ideas on wat to do?

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #143
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Have her put her hands on the tank during braking.
I agree. I was a passenger on a bike for 6 months before I started riding my own. I still ride on back occasionally. The best strategy is when slowing down, she should have her palms flat on the gas tank. When speeding up, arms around you or holding on to your belt. A good passenger has to watch ahead just as much as a good rider. She should know when you are about to have to stop, swerve, accelerate, etc as soon as you know you have to. A watchful passenger reacts in a way that keeps the bike and the rider happy!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #144
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Ok...need some tips or advise. I've been trying to adjust the preload on to 5 for a few days now and it just wont budge after 4....i have no idea why!...I've been trying to do it with the bike on the kickstand...would that be a problem? I had no probs getting it up to 4 but after 4 it just won't budge! any ideas on wat to do?
5 is a real b**ch to get it on and off of. Try using the little pipe thing with a flat end that came in your tool kit. It will slide right onto the end of your spanner, and will give you a little extra leverage. then just kinda go at it slowly, and push a little at a time, bracing your hand on the wheel as you go, and it should go right up to the 5th level

Old February 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #145
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Hammer and a flat head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I agree. I was a passenger on a bike for 6 months before I started riding my own. I still ride on back occasionally. The best strategy is when slowing down, she should have her palms flat on the gas tank. When speeding up, arms around you or holding on to your belt. A good passenger has to watch ahead just as much as a good rider. She should know when you are about to have to stop, swerve, accelerate, etc as soon as you know you have to. A watchful passenger reacts in a way that keeps the bike and the rider happy!
Exactly! I always have a long pre-ride talk with someone when its there first time

Old February 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #146
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I always have a long pre-ride talk with someone when its there first time
+1

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:56 AM   #147
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

one more question, what are the potential consequences of for example me riding around with a preload of 5 by myself (i usually use 3)

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM   #148
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Bumpier ride.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #149
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ followed by sore bottom

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:52 PM   #150
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Perhaps. I've got a lot of cushioning. I've had mine at 5 since the first few days with the bike, and I appreciate the stiffer feel.

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:04 PM   #151
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I rode mine at 5 for about a week until the spanner tool got delivered, and I gotta say, it was pretty jarring for me. It was like riding a dump truck. Then again, I'm the opposite end of the weight spectrum from you. Mine's currently on 2 and is perfect for me; firm but still compliant.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM   #152
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I rode mine at 5 for about a week until the spanner tool got delivered, and I gotta say, it was pretty jarring for me. It was like riding a dump truck. Then again, I'm the opposite end of the weight spectrum from you. Mine's currently on 2 and is perfect for me; firm but still compliant.
Ok, I know this is personal, but how much do you weigh? I'm 180lbs. without carrying stuff and I have my preload at 2. Should I have mine at 3?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #153
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
NDspd I'm 135

try it and see how you like it

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #154
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
great! i am glad my situation could be of help to someone.

besides providing more of a space between our helmets, my wife feels she is able to get a better grip holding the bag and feels more secure.

on my new bike, she is slowly trying out the rear grab rails, but still prefers to keep one arm around the bag.

I'm taking someone on a ride this weekend, so that's a great trick to know! Thanks!

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #155
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
What are some things a rider should tell a passenger before having them on back? I know the obvious ones, lean with me, don't dismount the bike until I give the go-ahead, but what are some others? I'm taking a buddy of mine on a ride this weekend. And then I'm teaching him to ride the Ninja himself. Kind of a cool 2nd date, huh?

Old April 11th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #156
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well... unless it's time. No reach arounds sounds like a good rule.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #157
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
What are some things a rider should tell a passenger before having them on back? I know the obvious ones, lean with me, don't dismount the bike until I give the go-ahead, but what are some others? I'm taking a buddy of mine on a ride this weekend. And then I'm teaching him to ride the Ninja himself. Kind of a cool 2nd date, huh?
You don't want want them to lean with you. Last time I checked, when a passenger leans with me, it makes the bike lean too much and if I change positions, they don't mimic fast enough so it causes problems. I just tell them to stay in their same position.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #158
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
What are some things a rider should tell a passenger before having them on back? I know the obvious ones, lean with me, don't dismount the bike until I give the go-ahead, but what are some others?
Have him use the tank to brace himself during braking, or else you'll end up with and extra ton of weight on your arms and you'll end up doing push ups and trying to control the brake still.

Have him squeeze your hips with his knees, and keep even weight on both pegs. If he starts shifting weight between his feet, the whole bike will lean unexpectedly. It's the same idea as carrying someone on the pegs of a bmx bike.

Overall, just tell him to relax and have fun. The sooner he gets over the terrified stage, the better. I've ridden pillion a few times. The first time I did it, I was terrified. Now, it's kinda fun. ...in a strange way...

EDIT: leaning with you is good. Just make sure he does it BEFORE the turn, or else you get the extra lean mid-turn that GreenNinja is talking about. Leaning with it is always good.

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #159
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Work out an "OK" and "OH SH*T" hand signal before the ride.
Passengers don't get on until the driver gives the green light.
Passengers don't get off the bike until the driver gives the green light.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #160
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
What are some things a rider should tell a passenger before having them on back?
i worked out a simple "tapping" my shoulder system with my wife.

something like 1 tap- slow down
2 taps - pull over and stop when i have a chance.
3 taps - she is going to readjust her position when i am at a stoplight (amazing how much a person shifting their weight will move the bike when at a stop).
4 taps - take the next cut off.

something to that effect. i forget the exact system (we haven't ridden together for quite awhile now). it was hard to talk on the freeway when we both wore full-faced helmets and earplugs. we didn't ride enough together to validate getting a radio communication system.

also, go easy on the brakes and throttle. adjust the preload to compensate for the additional weight of your passenger.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote