ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 29th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #1
WageSlaveEscapist
ninjette.org member

Name: Escape

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 classic

Sounds like a blender with some small pebbles while decellerating

When I decelerate in 3rd gear, clutch out, (not sure yet if the other gears too), I sometimes hear an irregular ticking/clacking sound. It sounds like metal, like if you were to put a few pebbles in a blender with water and hit blend, (but it's not that loud) or if you were to drop some marbles down a pvc pipe, or the sound of hydraulic cavitation almost. I have removed my stock speedo cable and put a magnetic one in place. I do not notice the sound when clutch is pulled in. Bike has around 30k miles, made in 2004, and has been well taken care of with mobil 1 turbo diesel truck oil. I'll put my centerstand back on and see if the problem persists, and try to get a sound byte while riding. Any ideas? The bike runs like a champ. I'm sure it's not the cam chain/timing chain, I've seen videos and it doesn't sound like a regular ticking. It's like tap tap..... tap tap tap tap...... tap...... tap tap..... .tatatap tap tatatata. No sound while accelerating. Valves were properly adjusted last week. Motor mount is solid. Chain slack in spec and wheel alignment checked with digital caliper 800 miles ago.
WageSlaveEscapist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WageSlaveEscapist View Post
.......... Any ideas?........
It could be the top leg of the secondary chain rubbing against the swingarm while is slacking.

You took the CCT apart and cleaned and lubed it while doing the last valve adjustment, I assume.

It could also be a worn cam chain guide.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2015, 03:07 PM   #3
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

have you drained and checked the oil since the noise started happening?

usually when i hear scary engine noises i do that first to try to catch any potential chunky bits before they wash around the whole engine.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:05 AM   #4
WageSlaveEscapist
ninjette.org member

Name: Escape

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 classic

Oil has been drained and refilled since the noise appeared, and oil screen has been cleared. No change.

After viewing a few videos, it seems the cam chain/cam chain tensioner seems to make a regular, loud ticking noise. My noise is irregular in rythm, much quieter, and not a definite tick. It's sounds like a spinning top is spinning inside a pvc tube, hitting the edges of the pipe. I'm gonna have to find a way to get a sound byte, I know this is vague.
Thanks so much for the info guys, I'll have to check my cam chain tensioner. It felt very tight just pushing my finger against it, and I thought it was just lubed by engine oil. By secondary chain I assume you mean drive chain? I will have to check to see if it is hitting, my chain slack has become out of spec since I last adjusted it last month.
WageSlaveEscapist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:22 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Try just resting your hand on the clutch lever when you hear the sound, these are a known noise creator
Try cleaning and lubing your chain
Did you get any debris in the cush drive?
Check the wheel bearings
Ensure your sprockets are tight (front sprocket cover too)
Check brake caliper bolts for tightness
Lube the slides on the brake calipers
Check all fairing bolts for tightness
Check engine bolts for tightness
Check rear shock dogbone bolts for tightness

Actually... when was the last time you did a FULL service on the bike?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:38 AM   #6
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I thing your engine is okay, no problem, I think you're hearing the transmission.

The scenario you've described: coasting a sequential constant-mesh gearbox with clutch out, will pull the the "dogs" of the engaged gear (third gear in your description) against the opposite side of the "windows" in the adjacent gear (into the deceleration end rather than into the acceleration end).

Then, as you decelerate, you occasionally create a (transient) condition where the "big bang" firing order of the EX250 engine causes the gear-dogs to jump around in the windows of the gear into which they're engaged. The resulting noise is a liquid-muted (by the engine oil-bath) metallic "clacking" sound.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote