ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Name: Matz

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 FS2, XT350

Talking Now my brother has a ninjette too!!!

Title says it all!
My brother just recently passed his motorcycle test on a 125 and is now restricted to 33bhp for 2 years.
He's beeen after my Ninja since the day I got it but I'm still far too attached to it and my own 33bhp restriction won't be lifted until early next year anyway.

So we decided that the best idea would be to get an old GPX250 (pregen Ninja) or a ZZR250 for dirt cheap and use it for a little while until enough time has passed and he has enough cash to buy mine off me.

Only there is the small problem of getting hold of either said bikes as GPX's and ZZR's are very rare in the uk and an absolute bitch to find!

Anyway with my buddy Adams recent purchase of a very mint GPX250 I decided not give up and I soon found myself putting a 1990 ZZR250 for £430 on my brothers tab. It came with loads of spares inluding a working engine!

This is great news as not only are the 3 of us all on ninjettes, I've also had the chance to ride all 3 and compare them.
I have to say that I'm not a fan of the GPX's handling, it's rear shock is far too low, not to mention not adjustable and this just makes the bike slow to turn and feel heavier than it actually is (it's supposed to be the lightest). The ZZR on the other hand feels just like my bike, it feels stiffer than the GPX (especially at the back), has better wind protection, looks better and seems to have a higher top speed! (probably down to better aero)

Eagle eyed viewers might have noticed that the rear disc is rusted, the paint job isn't original, the front brake master cylinder is from another bike (the original came with it in a box), the head gasket in that last photo is not for 2 cylinder bike lol and the exhausts aren't stock either as their too BADASS!!!! Their the loudest I've ever heard!!!

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Nice HAVE FUN!
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice find!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice bike. Is there a flash-to-pass trigger on the left hand control of that ZZR? I would love to have that on my bike...

To help with that GPX, install the shock off a 08-12 model, and it will make a nice little improvement for a very small investment.

Tell me more about that mountain bike
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 09:52 PM   #5
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

For the year, its a BEAUTIFUL bike!

View my log here.
you can tell a lot about how it was treated by how the previous owner looks - Joshorilla
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Nice bike. Is there a flash-to-pass trigger on the left hand control of that ZZR? I would love to have that on my bike...
Yeah it does. I feel your pain, my Ninja doesn't have one either.
Guess I'll have to continue to rev my engine in front of girls to get attention!

Quote:
To help with that GPX, install the shock off a 08-12 model, and it will make a nice little improvement for a very small investment.
It's funny you should say that, the first thing I did after riding the GPX was find that thread about you sticking one in yours. We're currently hunting for one at the moment.

Quote:
Tell me more about that mountain bike
It's a 2010 Haro Zeon, it belongs to my brother too.
He does a lot of downhill mountain biking although that particular bike is more of an XC one. I think he's got an Orange Patriot for the steaper stuff though? (Not sure as it ain't here at the moment)

I'll post a video of my brother flying down the road on the ZZR as soon as it's uploaded.

Old November 4th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #7
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old November 4th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You have motorcycles all over the place. Are you part of a gang?

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I want to join your 250 "gang"!

His new ninjette sounds incredible. I'm pretty sure you woke everyone up for at least a 5 mile radius from the bike!

The garage that made his number plate is close to me. It was the first place I went to when I was looking to buy a ninjette. Probably not a good idea to put his plate number up online. I think some people look for a plate number for a vehicle identical to their own so they can use that plate on their vehicle and then speed as much as they want without getting a ticket. The tickets then find their way to the original plate owner... in this case your brother!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think that bike needs some jetting work.

The engine speed isn't dropping fast enough when he shifts, and it's popping on decel (the zzr doesn't have a kleen system like the 08-12's does it?) Also sounds like it's idling really high.

Old November 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Yes I'm afraid the bike isn't as perfect as I'd hoped. I currently have the carbs in bits. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak but I sprayed carb cleaner all around the outside of the boots between the carb and intake and the engine speed never changed, the boots look in good nick too so I'm ruling out a leak for the moment. I do think it's running pretty rich, I had a hunch when I realised how much soot was in the end of the can.

And no I'm not part of a gang although I am a member of a club.
The CBR125 belongs to my sister and is smashed to bits due to a car crash, the XR125 is my brothers other bike (also paid for by me) and will be for sale once it's MOT'd, the blue Hyosung GT250 is the bike that I was hit by a car on and that big beautiful Ninja is my favourite one!!!

Old November 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
What main jets come in that bike with the oem setup? I've never worked on a zzr before.

Based on the popping and slow rpm drop, I'm betting it's lean somewhere in the range. That's what my midrange did when I installed a full exhaust, opened the intake, and had only 1 washer raising the needles. I got some nice popping on deceleration.

Start out by cleaning the carbs, then diagnosing the jetting from there. You really can't diagnose jetting on a dirty set of carbs.

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Matz
is stunning! ;)

The carbs are actually pretty clean. I'm a bit worried that the last owner has only upjetted some of the jets and left the rest alone. The carbs also need balancing.

I'm having a hell of a job finding out anything about the the jets and jet kits cost a fortune as they're all over seas.

I was hoping that the GPX (pregen) would share the same parts but from what I've read on the internet, they seems to have different carbs and my mate isn't around long enough for me to canibalise his one!

Oh and no the ZZR doesn't have a KLEEN air system, it was built in the good old days! :P

Old November 4th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That makes it simpler.

Sync the carbs and see exactly what's in them. Don't worry about a kit; you can buy individual jets and raise the needles with washers.

If you're in need of some specs (jet sizes, etc) I know that zzrguy has done some jetting on his ZZR and should be able to help a bit.

Old November 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Thanks bud your a good help.
I've been busy sorting out other problems
The alternator doesn't seem to be charging the battery and I've had to replace the coolant as hoses had disconnected (loose jubilee clip) and drained the original stuff.

The brakes weren't working very well but they just needed bleeding.

I'm also worried about an oil leak, it's a very slow drip that's coming from the sump drain bolt and the oil filter seal, hoping it's just the washer and seals that need replacing, nevertheless I've bought new ones!

I have to say the bike has been put together well, there is absolutely no rust under those fairings (only on the rear disc) and the engine in it looks far newer and healthier than the original.

Old November 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #16
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

McDonald Mobile

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Yeah the previous owner was a fan of the BMW K1 and so copied the colours.