ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Riding while living in NYC apartments?

Not sure where else this topic could go.

There is a huge possibility that in ~6months I will be going to school in NYC (Harlem, Manhattan) for the next 4-6 years. I will be living in an apartment with limited parking and hopefully close enough to my school that I can walk instead. I am interested in hearing how those of you living in major cities, especially NYC, have incorporated owning a motorcycle into your lifestyles. For example, any input on storage, parking, and just all around ownership would help me greatly.

I started riding in CA so I know there is a huge lifestyle change and I am used to the easy accessibility of CA that I'm not sure how to make it work but I also cant bring myself to sell the bike or even the idea of not having one to ride.

Old December 25th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Snow.

Old December 26th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Pedal bike is probably more what you will need.
NYC subway will get you around, far more convenient than owning a moto.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
setasai

I've lived in the city way back before owning a motorcycle so I understand its not practical. I am only really interested in ways riders have MADE IT WORK!

0/2 useful replies. Thanks guys.

Old December 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #5
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I've lived in the city way back before owning a motorcycle so I understand its not practical. I am only really interested in ways riders have MADE IT WORK!

0/2 useful replies. Thanks guys.
Those riders that make it work would likely have spent more than your student budget can afford. Good luck

Old December 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I was just saying that out of those 4-6 years, you'll spend at least two years storing the bike, it not the whole time.

They probably have car parks where you can rent a space.

Old December 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #7
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Those riders that make it work would likely have spent more than your student budget can afford. Good luck
I have lots of family in NYC so I'm sure with their help I can come up with something. Thanks for not really helping though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I was just saying that out of those 4-6 years, you'll spend at least two years storing the bike, it not the whole time.

They probably have car parks where you can rent a space.
Hmmm seasons... that's new. Thanks for letting me know the weather changes. ... probably? that's not very helpful. I've made that assumption a long time ago. Again, thanks for saying nothing specific to city life while riding.

Maybe I wasnt clear. I understand the city life. I understand that there will be changes in weather that make it difficult to ride. I understand that I am a student and on a tight budget. BUT!!!!! Riding a motorcycle as you all know is a hobby, a lifestyle, a non-negotiable activity that we all fit into our lives. I am asking those of you that live in the city... how do you fit it into your lives? Do you only ride on weekends? Do you commute? Do you specifically have a group that you ride with only and only ride outside of the city? Do you spend most of your time working on it in your garage and riding only 10% of the time? Do you load up your bike with locks, chains, alarms, and GPS trackers? If you rent a storage locker, have you found it worth the price or is it the same as parking in an underground garage?

I know some of you live in the city and I understand that the need to respond to a thread you know very little about is great but I hope that I've clarified what I am looking for. There are many threads about long distance ironbutt riding... how about city street riding? It has to be more dangerous and more chaotic than quiet back roads around smaller towns. Lets talk about something different!

Old December 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #8
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Noooooo who will teach me the ropes :[[[ mehhh youll probably be back before i get a bike. XD jk hopefully i get my bike sooner then that. :P

Old December 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #9
setasai

Haha for now come by when we install the EFI conversion. Should be intense!

Old December 26th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #10
"A"
vampire

Quote:
I have lots of family in NYC so I'm sure with their help I can come up with something. Thanks for not really helping though.
Let me know if any of your family relatives disagrees with me and think it's a good idea to own a motorcycle in NYC on your student budget.

Stick with pedaling 2-wheel, get yourself in decent shape and save $$ on parking cost.

Have you researched how much tolls cost getting in and out NYC?

Old December 26th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #11
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

It will be intense. :O

Old December 26th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #12
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

DO NOT RIDE IN NYC... its crazy enough in a cage... between the subway, taxis and buses.. travel in NYC is easy and cheap.. i could easily see a 250 getting stolen or damage by an idiot trying to park.
mustang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #13
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

I am curious to see some first-hand details of living with a motorcycle in NYC.

(I'm reminded of a magazine article that I read many years ago in Cycle World (or ??). Details from a few riders living and working in NYC, who regularly ride in NYC, etc.)

Quote:
I am only really interested in ways riders have MADE IT WORK!
This seems like an obvious statement to me. I'm sure Brian can find thousands of people that will tell him why not to do it, he's trying to find some of the few that have made it work in some way.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I will not drive through manhattan, but I have no issues taking bikes through the city...much safer it seems. I'm on the upper west side right now visiting family, and having a bikes means I can always find a parking space directly outside the building, while a car would mean you'd park 3 blocks away looking for a space. There always 3 or 4 other bikes on the same block...all nicer than mines so I don't worry about theft. I parked my shiny mint ducati on the street outside when I had that, though, and also never had any problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #15
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
I am curious to see some first-hand details of living with a motorcycle in NYC.

(I'm reminded of a magazine article that I read many years ago in Cycle World (or ??). Details from a few riders living and working in NYC, who regularly ride in NYC, etc.)
Cool! I wonder if there is a way to dig up that article. Would be a great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I will not drive through manhattan, but I have no issues taking bikes through the city...much safer it seems. I'm on the upper west side right now visiting family, and having a bikes means I can always find a parking space directly outside the building, while a car would mean you'd park 3 blocks away looking for a space. There always 3 or 4 other bikes on the same block...all nicer than mines so I don't worry about theft. I parked my shiny mint ducati on the street outside when I had that, though, and also never had any problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very cool! When I went to visit my family in Queens, I had the same idea. Every corner I looked, I saw fantastic parking spaces. I can see how this would be difficult if I had the bike parked for days without moving but for the quick visit and overnight, I think it would work out great.

Let's say I had a place to store my bike free of charge in a family's garage whenever I wanted to and easily accessible. Does that change anybody's negative comments? I had a chance to talk to my uncle and he just recently got a M1 and is totally psyched to go riding together.

Old December 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #16
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I will add that nyc riding is a skill that needs to be learnt seperately from normal riding.The skills don't really translate over from other cities... Especially things like lanesplitting, but once you get used to the idea that it's a lot safer riding where drivers expect you to be (between lanes) than taking up much more space than needed (like in any other non-cali city) it becomes simple and fun. overall, I'd say the ninja250 is pretty much the ideal bike for these conditions. You see a lot of ninja 250, ex500, gs500, interceptor 500 and other older 80s &90s entry level bikes around. Nimble, easy to park, and not worth enough to steal. I definately would keep the bike and lose the car if I lived here. Hopefully someone who actually does will chime in soon...I'm leaving NYC in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #17
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
The skills don't really translate over from other cities... Especially things like lanesplitting, but once you get used to the idea that it's a lot safer riding where drivers expect you to be (between lanes) than taking up much more space than needed (like in any other non-cali city) it becomes simple and fun.
I'm a little confused about this statement? Could you clarify? From the sound of it, you're saying it is OK to be between lanes but I dont believe lanesplitting is legal in NYC. Again... confused.

Quote:
overall, I'd say the ninja250 is pretty much the ideal bike for these conditions. You see a lot of ninja 250, ex500, gs500, interceptor 500 and other older 80s &90s entry level bikes around. Nimble, easy to park, and not worth enough to steal.
Very valid points here. I imagine a street legal dirt bike would be very cool to ride as well given how nimble it is and can handle potholes as well.

Quote:
I definately would keep the bike and lose the car if I lived here.
This would be ideal for me since like I said, I have 10+ family members, uncles, aunts, and cousins, in NYC, I'm sure I can steal their car for an afternoon if I ever need to use one. Otherwise, the usual subway/taxi will definitely be sufficient as a practical vehicle.

Old December 27th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #18
caliente103
ninjette.org member

Name: HECTOR

Motorcycle(s): Red 08 250r

Quote:
Let me know if any of your family relatives disagrees with me and think it's a good idea to own a motorcycle in NYC on your student budget.

Stick with pedaling 2-wheel, get yourself in decent shape and save $$ on parking cost.

Posted via Mobile Device
caliente103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #19
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente103 View Post
Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Really? Your profile says you live in the Bronx and yet you cant understand why I'm trying to make this work?

I hope that by mentioning that I'm a student isnt changing your perspective on how I view responsibility. I'm not 18... I wish I were but time doesnt wait.

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #20
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

I'd much rather have something like the klx250sf or a street legal dirtbike than any sportbike for NYC, judging by what I've seen/experienced. Light, nimble, lots of suspension travel makes for a less stressful commute.

Old December 27th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #21
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

I've ridden the 250 (and gsxr) plenty in Manhattan. I much preferred riding the 250, mostly because I wasn't as worried someone was going to steal it. Obviously we try to stay within the bounds of the law, but to some degree I understand what the poster was saying. It's almost always safer to be on or near the center line of whatever lane your in, less chance of cars pulling out into you, and greatest chance for an escape route when the **** inevitably hits the fan. I'm not condoning it, but I almost always funnel up in the city, so when the light turns green, I'm that much further from the fog of taxis trying to change lanes at the same time.

Riding in NYC is inherently dangerous, but it's also a fun time, and practical. You can almost always find a parking spot wide enough to back a 2fiddy in to.

I would highly recommend having a friend or family member store the bike over winter. You can find a spot easy enough during riding season, but you're sure as **** not gonna want to move that sucker around in the snow for alternate side parking and such.
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #22
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
I would highly recommend having a friend or family member store the bike over winter. You can find a spot easy enough during riding season, but you're sure as **** not gonna want to move that sucker around in the snow for alternate side parking and such.
Thanks for the clarification on the pseudo-lanesplitting comment. Now I understand what you mean about it being safer. It's the same practice that I use currently but seeing as it is illegal in NYC, I wasnt sure.

For sure the bike will be stored over winter. Since it is more convienent to use the subway and/or walk/ride a bicycle, I will be using the bike less as a commuter and more as a weekend joy ride type of vehicle.

Thanks for the helpful comments. Keep them coming!

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification on the pseudo-lanesplitting comment. Now I understand what you mean about it being safer. It's the same practice that I use currently but seeing as it is illegal in NYC, I wasnt sure.
With all that traffic it's not like a cop would be able to catch you anyway
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
@Skippii, how would you compare splitting new york traffic vs other big cities where splitting is allowed? have you been to LA? can you make any comparisons? i hear horror stories about splitting traffic in NY, but from the videos i've seen it doesn't seem much different from splitting in downtown SD

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #25
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
If you get doored or hit while filtering it would be your fault, since it's illegal.

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #26
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Then you can break their window and ride away since they cant follow you. hahaha
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #27
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
And have a warrant on you because they got your plate...

I see motorcyclists filter all the time in NYC, especially 250's.

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #28
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

who said Id have a plate on? pshhh

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #29
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16

Old December 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #30
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

I rode my Ninja a few times in Manhattan and hated it. While you can theoretically go faster by lane-splitting, you still have to obey the traffic signals. That, combined with the traffic, kills the fun, fast. If you want a fun riding experience in the city, consider a bicycle instead... I am serious. I used to be a bicycle messenger in Manhattan and loved it.

On a bicycle you can:
* Ride without helment or any gear
* Disobey any and all traffic laws
* Ride anywhere you want: on the streets or the sidewalks
* Ride on hwys (FDR & West Side) at a decent speed, by hooking up to a truck
* Ride drunk
* Ride high
* Pass thru gridlock like Moses thru Red Sea
* Park anywhere you want (well, almost, but 100 times more options than motorcycles)
* If really needed, take it with you on a subway.
* No need for insurance

You can't do any of the above on a motorcycle. You are stuck waiting on numerous red lights, cramped by "no turn" streets, one-ways, gridlocks and zillion other traffic restrictions. And, you're always cop-paranoid even when lane-splitting. On a bicycle, you can literally get away with murder. Cops never care, and even if one in a million does, catching you isn't really an option. Besides, how would you know they were going after you?

Riding a bicycle in Manhattan is not just more convenient - it is a lot more fun, because you have practically unlimited flexibility... Actually, it's an entire culture. An experience like no other in the world.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #31
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I wanted to be a messenger but my town isn't the type that needs them.

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #32
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
I rode my Ninja a few times in Manhattan and hated it. While you can theoretically go faster by lane-splitting, you still have to obey the traffic signals. That, combined with the traffic, kills the fun, fast. If you want a fun riding experience, the city consider a bicycle instead... I am serious. I used to be a bicycle messenger in Manhattan and loved it.

On a bicycle you can:
* Ride drunk
* Ride high
* Park anywhere you want (well, almost, but 100 times more options than motorcycles)
* No need for insurance

You can't do any of the above on a motorcycle. You are stuck waiting on zillion red lights, cramped by "no turn" streets and other traffic restrictions, and always watching out for cops when lane-splitting. On a bicycle, you can literally get away with murder. Cops rarely care, and even if they do, catching you isn't really an option. Besides, how would you know they were going after you?

Riding a bicycle in Manhattan is not just more convenient - it is a lot more fun, because you have practically unlimited flexibility... Actually, it's an entire culture. An experience like no other in the world.
That actually sounds like a lot of fun...

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #33
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
You can go in reverse on fixed gear bikes too (which is what messengers usually use)!

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #34
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
That actually sounds like a lot of fun...
It's a lot of fun... have a beer, then hop on the bike, hook up to a truck going uptown, when it gets stopped by a red, let go, pedal a couple of blocks, hook up to a commercial van for another stretch, then hop off, cut across the park, stop by a tree, get relief from a beer hop on, ride across "police line", park by the fire hydrant and get to where you were going in half-time. The whole city is like a big board game, and you can play it anyway you want.

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #35
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
I rode my Ninja a few times in Manhattan and hated it. While you can theoretically go faster by lane-splitting, you still have to obey the traffic signals. That, combined with the traffic, kills the fun, fast. If you want a fun riding experience in the city, consider a bicycle instead... I am serious. I used to be a bicycle messenger in Manhattan and loved it.

On a bicycle you can:
* Ride drunk
* Ride high
* No need for insurance

You can't do any of the above on a motorcycle. You are stuck waiting on numerous red lights, cramped by "no turn" streets, one-ways, gridlocks and zillion other traffic restrictions. And, you're always cop-paranoid even when lane-splitting. On a bicycle, you can literally get away with murder. Cops never care, and even if one in a million does, catching you isn't really an option. Besides, how would you know they were going after you?

you realize its still highly illegal to ride a bicycle drunk, right? you get the same DUI as you would if you were driving a car. not to mention its extremely stupid and a great way to get hit by a car. riding without a helmet is almost as stupid. disobeying traffic laws like a dick might be commonplace, but that doesn't make it any less of a bad idea. and you are right, insurance isn't required for a bike. that doesn't mean you aren't going to get hit by a car while riding like a fool.

not to hate, but people who encourage driving or riding drunk or high are bound to end up on the wrong side of a very fast car.

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #36
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I think it was a joke (I hope).

Old December 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
drunk driving isn't something to joke about. especially encouraging it. if you've never been hit by some idiot who thinks it's ok to put other people's lives in jeopardy just to satisfy their own laziness about being a booze lush, you might have different views of it. but for those of us who have been affected by some idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the first place, let alone under the influence, it's a little bit of a different story.

Old December 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #38
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Id rather a drunk person be on a bicycle than driving a motor vehicle

Old December 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #39
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you realize its still highly illegal to ride a bicycle drunk, right? you get the same DUI as you would if you were driving a car. not to mention its extremely stupid and a great way to get hit by a car. riding without a helmet is almost as stupid. disobeying traffic laws like a dick might be commonplace, but that doesn't make it any less of a bad idea. and you are right, insurance isn't required for a bike. that doesn't mean you aren't going to get hit by a car while riding like a fool.

not to hate, but people who encourage driving or riding drunk or high are bound to end up on the wrong side of a very fast car.
Gosh, this doesn't even warrant a reply. How can a person from a resort town that's 1% of the size of NYC lecture people on how to ride in NY? Have you even been to NY? Have U ridden a bicycle in the heart of Manhattan for a few months straight? If your answer to any is "no" I would kindly ask you to refrain from any comments on the matter, because there is little substance you can add to the subject.

Since common sense and sense of humor seems to be such a rare commodity, let me spell it out: I don't endorse drunk driving. Much less, wise guy comments such as yours.

Old December 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #40
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Resort town with 1% of the population of NY? you do realize there are more people in LA city than there are in NY city, right? and san diego, which is not far away, has about half the population of NY city. another fun fact, there are more people in LA county than there are in all of the state of new york.

edit: my bad, my brief look up led me wrong. NYC does actually have a little bit more people than LAC.

sense of humor, i might not have. respect for serious consequences and a respect for not making jokes about something that takes lives on a daily basis, however, i do have.

anyway, sorry brian for thread jacking. good luck with the move and the traffic if you decide to ride the bike. *out*