ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

So do I need a new tire? Tires?

Hey everyone,

I honestly don't know when to replace my tires. I don't wanna spend money if its unwarranted but safety definitely comes first. So, I'm hoping the you experienced lot can chime in and share your insight.

Currently, I've got IRC Road Winners 110/70 and 130/70. I've read in previous threads that it's better to change the whole set but I'm not sure if I need to replace the front just yet. Could someone be kind enough to let me know if I should just change only the rear or both?

If I have to change the rear only, I'll get the IRC Road Winner but if I have to change both, I'm thinking of buying a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso ll's. I've heard very comforting reviews about their traction but I'm not sure if they're right for me given that I only started riding a few months ago. I thought about getting the BT45's but the Pirellis are cheaper. I'm open to other suggestions for tires...

EDIT: first two pics are front and last 2 are rear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front 1.jpg (87.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Front 2.jpg (85.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Rear 1.jpg (103.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Rear 2.jpg (93.9 KB, 10 views)
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

if they're the original tires, I would replace them, they're already 4 years old, better to replace them and get the DR 2's. I only had 3000 miles on my irc tires, plenty of meat, but they started weather cracking in between the tread.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Maca
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Black 2011 Ninja 250

These two videos explain tire wear pretty well.

When to replace -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shc73x6b_uA
Wear patterns -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKfoO4nzXM8
Maca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Ktam
ninjette.org member

Name: Kelvin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Your pictures don't show much other than the fact that you have an acceptable amount of tread remaining. What you should be on the lookout for is side wall cracking - do a google search for old-age tires and their dangers. This can occur on tires 4-5 years of age or tires that have been sitting for a long time. They appear as patterned cracks on your side walls, cosmetic scratches don't count.

As for getting new tires...the world is your oyster (I think that's the quote?). But you've got to think what are you using your bike for. Unless you're using your bike for 40 degree leans and track days there's really no point to getting super sticky tires - stickier rubber doesn't make you a better rider. It would probably be a better investment to get tires that give you a better mixture of stickiness and longevity - that way you get more mileage to practice "actual" rider skill. BT45s, Avon Roadriders... but they're your tires so you decide.
Ktam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:58 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Your tire have a ton of life left in them but they're getting old and hard so it's cheap insurance to change them out and have peace of mind and confidence.

Get the Diablo rosso II front 110 and the 140 wide version of your current rear tire(comes on the 300) you'll love the setup and it will last a long time. I've done about 4000 miles on this setup under the most trying conditions and they work perfectly.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktam View Post
Your pictures don't show much other than the fact that you have an acceptable amount of tread remaining. What you should be on the lookout for is side wall cracking - do a google search for old-age tires and their dangers. This can occur on tires 4-5 years of age or tires that have been sitting for a long time. They appear as patterned cracks on your side walls, cosmetic scratches don't count.

As for getting new tires...the world is your oyster (I think that's the quote?). But you've got to think what are you using your bike for. Unless you're using your bike for 40 degree leans and track days there's really no point to getting super sticky tires - stickier rubber doesn't make you a better rider. It would probably be a better investment to get tires that give you a better mixture of stickiness and longevity - that way you get more mileage to practice "actual" rider skill. BT45s, Avon Roadriders... but they're your tires so you decide.
Thanks for the vids, they were really helpful.
I don't see any sidewall cracks so it's not too bad. The current rear tire would fail the quarter test and to be honest, I would feel safer with new tires. I know the BT-45s are sport touring and probably better for my newb style of riding but I'm getting the Pirellis for a bit cheaper, I'll do some more research, I guess.

There's so much to learn.

Old July 4th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #7
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Try the Avon Roadrider,

They are really affordable and they offer a lot of performance...

I "track tested" them and I couldn't get them at fault, but I'm no rojoracing either.

So for my daily commute and my more spirited riding, I can't ask for more.
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #8
beta7
ninjette.org member

Name: tamas

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

im looking at getting new tires too so I may aswell ask this question here as its relevant anyway... would these tires be alright? http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/brid...rear-tire.html 140/70zr17 for rear and these for front: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/brid...ront-tire.html 110/70zr-17

thanks!
beta7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
Try the Avon Roadrider
+1

I run these bad boys on my 500, twice the power and torque as the 250 and she's a little bit more of a pig weight wise and they're the perfect tire. Great life, 11k on my rear before replacing it and 14k on my front still going and I ride like a maniac. Lots of WOT and aggressive acceleration, fast cornering, locking my rear to come to a stop stylishly, etc. Amazing traction in all conditions. Freezing temps, rain, heat, anything but snow and ice and there's always a good level of traction. I can't even break my rear loose going WOT in first gear when it's raining (not while leaned over of course). Just an all around great tire, not as sticky as some of the other options but very few motorcyclists need that kind of traction.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #10
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta7 View Post
im looking at getting new tires too so I may aswell ask this question here as its relevant anyway... would these tires be alright? http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/brid...rear-tire.html 140/70zr17 for rear and these for front: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/brid...ront-tire.html 110/70zr-17

thanks!
Have a look here: http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/New_gen_tire_options

The BT-003's, according to what I've read, are good tires. I found the Pirelli Diablo Rosso ll's for cheaper and decided to go with them.

The best place I found for Canadians so far is Pete's Superbike:
http://www.petes-superbike.com/

Old July 5th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #11
Timr
needs a bigger shed

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2x2009 ninja 250's, 1x2011 250 ninja, 1x1990 yamaha fzr 250 1x2006 yamaha R6 1x atomic quad, 1xZZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Star View Post
The BT-003's, according to what I've read, are good tires. I found the Pirelli Diablo Rosso ll's for cheaper and decided to go with them.
I'm not sure if tires are the same here in Aus as what you have there... but for what it worth, i use the BT-003's on my race bike and they are brilliant, but i wouldn't use them on the road as they seem to like being pretty warm (warmer than they would get on the road) before they are at their best.

personally for the road i would be using Pirelli speed demons as they wear/last really well and grip really well at lower temps. for a smaller bike one of the best tires i have found.

Old July 5th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
003's are great, but the rosso's are even better. Not sure how they would work as a commuter tire though. I only ride canyons and track.

The only thing I like better about the 003's is that they will give me a warning before breaking loose. The rossos don't seem to give me that warning shot before a major slip.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #13
beta7
ninjette.org member

Name: tamas

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Star View Post
Have a look here: http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/New_gen_tire_options

The best place I found for Canadians so far is Pete's Superbike:
http://www.petes-superbike.com/
thank you! =)
beta7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

Name: Elias

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

IRC (indian rubber company) is what ur tires are called and they are terrible imo...
im a big fan of BT-45... they last very long, very good in rain, easy to get hearth in the rubber, and nice grip. never failed on mine and got the knee down enough time to destroy my textile pants
Graugaard is offline   Reply With Quote