ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja tooniftyAaaarrrr (250)

New rider questions

Alright I've only been riding for about a day and a half now so I've just been riding it on the back roads and around my neighborhood. I've only gotten up to second shift and when I'm pretty smooth when going up to second shift, haven't exactly got a feel for the 'sweet spot' on my clutch but when I go down to first shift and try to throttle while pulling the clutch out where it hits my bike seems to lock up. It decelerates dramatically and it almost sounds like the front wheel locks out. I'm not sure what this is but I hope it's just rider error. Also I'm not too familiar with the choke. Any advice on start up and turning off the bike when it comes to the choke???
Twitchy Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to riding skills

MSF course?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/moved to riding skills

MSF course?
Scheduling it on Monday after I get it registered. Should be taking it next weekend. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the bike. Going to be taking the MSF course with it most likely.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy Stitch View Post
.........I'm not sure what this is but I hope it's just rider error. Also I'm not too familiar with the choke. Any advice on start up and turning off the bike when it comes to the choke???
Yes, your error is shifting to first while the bike is still moving at too much speed to accept that gear.

Normally, there is no need to shift down to first until the bike is almost stopped.

Please, read these:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Rid...ht_a_Ninja_250

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/E-Z_shifting_for_beginners

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F

Your first exercise in the MSF class will be starting moving from a stop, with both feet dragging on the ground and stopping again, then repeat.
That will teach you the fine control required for keeping the clutch in the friction zone and then, clutch in and apply light front brake to stop.
Note that the bike moves and stops while being connected to first gear at all times; the clutch is your flexible link between the engine (always spinning) and the rear wheel.

The next exercise will be retracting your legs onto the foot pegs after the bike gains some speed (always in first gear) and roll in balance and then pulling the clutch in and simultaneously and smoothly braking with front and rear brake while keeping your sight forward and far away (newbies tend to look right in front of the bike = bad habit) and trying to keep the balance until the bike is almost stopped.

A third exercise could be the second one while doing wide circles in both directions and then returning to a straight line before applying clutch and brakes.

I would practice those until taking the class.
Even empty roads are dangerous for you still, as you don't really know how to control the bike safely or how simple things can go wrong really fast.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

HAHA! yeah. Thanks for the advice!!! Sounds like slow training but my first night after about 30 minutes on the bike I was already going 60 down a backroad and then 40 on the main road on my street lol. I'm definitely not going to do that anymore. But yeah tomorrow I'm hopefully going to meet up with my friend and he's going to make sure I don't go over 20 until I learn everything. I want to be comfortable with my bike before taking the msf course.

Old May 18th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

I mean the thing is I need to learn as fast as possible because I'm moving out on june 1st to my apartment and I don't have a car. My job is 13 miles away from where I'll be living so I'll need to be ready by then.

Old May 18th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
..........I want to be comfortable with my bike before taking the msf course.
You can also study the booklet on which the written part of the final test will be based:
http://www.msf-usa.org/library.aspx

To download a copy, click on Basic RiderCourse℠ Handbook

Old May 18th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Alright thanks. How fast do you think I can learn to where shifting and stopping become second nature to me?

Old May 18th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #9
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Please be careful...have you driven a manual transmission car before? If you're trying to downshift into 1st and having problems it may be more useful for you to learn about shifting in a 4 wheeled vehicle first.

Dumping the clutch on a downshift without proper rev matching can cause the rear wheel to lock. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

I didn't ride on the road until I had my motorcycle license. My order of operations went:

0. Register for MSF course. It was like a month away so while I waited I read "Proficient Motorcycling" cover to cover. I wanted to just go buy a bike or get on the road, but I resisted the temptation. I'm glad I did.

1. Take MSF course. They let you ride their motorcycle, so you don't need to own one yet.

2. Receive certificate from MSF in the mail about a week later.

3. Take DMV written test; issued paper copy of M1 license at that time.

4. Buy a motorcycle.

5. Start riding on public roads. At that point I started on local straight city roads, then moved to higher speed straight roads (freeway) when I felt comfortable. Twisties came later.

You're young and you have your whole life ahead of you. Please don't rush in and hurt yourself.

Shifting and stopping being second nature will take a long time. Definitely not within your timeline for starting your 13 mile commute to work. You will be learning during your commute.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #10
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Hmm maybe I should stop riding like an idiot and slow down for a change haha! But no I had an automatic which my friend wrecked last year. (we were doing stupid **** at the clay pits where I live) and he was joining the marines so I took the blame because he didn't have his license or anything. Didn't want to keep him out of the military. So now my insurance is skyrocketed and I won't be able to pay for school while paying loads of money on a car. So that kind of pushed me into riding. So glad I made the choice because I feel like I am one with the bike!!!

But yeah. I REALLY need to slow down haha. Glad I haven't been hurt yet.

Old May 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Slowing down, an waiting till you've had training is about the best advice. Nobody likes it, but you can get hurt Bad, an I for one don't wanna read that crash thread. Down shifting into first is almost useless! It is a good way to learn to fly though, I bout lost it doing it once.
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If you must ride, take it really easy before your MSF. The MSF is design for new and beginning riders like you and your success. You will learn a lot during the course.

Gear up and take the time to enjoy being new. It don't last long and is filled with new and exiting experiences.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #13
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to learning how to ride!!!

Old May 19th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

60 in second gear... Not one for babying the engine are you...

If you're looking to learn to shift & going at that pace I certainly wouldn't want to go looking for 1st gear.

Maybe try 2-3-4-3-2 while varying your speed accordingly. 1st is pretty much only for moving off and is too short to really use for anything else.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
60 in second gear... Not one for babying the engine are you...

If you're looking to learn to shift & going at that pace I certainly wouldn't want to go looking for 1st gear.

Maybe try 2-3-4-3-2 while varying your speed accordingly. 1st is pretty much only for moving off and is too short to really use for anything else.
Yeah. I should really be more careful. I didn't even know the ninja could go 60 in second. I mean I got it up to 55 easy but for 60 i was going downhill. I'm signing up for the courses and I just got my license plate and registration so I'm all good. Planting that **** on my bike ya know???

Today I'll think I'll just practice stopping and going around my neighborhood. I'm going to look stupid doing it but I'm a stupid guy. Then later tonight I'll mess with the gears.

Old May 19th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #16
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
you down shift, you need to rev the engine, to get the engine speed caught up with the wheel speed.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #17
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Yeah I JUST got back from my buddy's house who rides a ninja 650 and he told me the same thing. So what exactly do I do. Rev the engine before I hit the friction zone on the clutch?

Old May 19th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........So what exactly do I do. Rev the engine before I hit the friction zone on the clutch?
You are asking how to run while still crawling.

Find yourself a quiet parking lot, practice the basics, stay slow and leave that "Rev the engine" for the second week !!!

Old May 19th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #19
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

xD Sorry. I always get ahead of myself! I JUST WANT TO GO ZOOM ZOOM!!!!

Old May 20th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #20
masashi02a
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Honestly buddy, dont even think about rev matching till you get comfortable enough riding normally. Only time i need to rev match is if im going into a corner way hotter than i should be doing. Just take your time and when coming to a turn/stop, get the revs down. Pull the clutch in. Down shift. Let it out smoothly. Depending on the initial speed, you have to be careful as the gears on this bike are SHORT.
masashi02a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #21
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
xD Sorry. I always get ahead of myself! I JUST WANT TO GO ZOOM ZOOM!!!!
Twitchy... an appropriate name lol I like your style but I'm a little worried about you. Have you fully grasped the concept that this machine can kill you before you even know you made a mistake? You remember learning to ride a bike when you were wee little right? You fell right? It's going to happen on this bike too, but it is further from the ground and a lot faster and heavier. I don't want to see a thread in the Crash section from you.

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #22
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Not sure. My first few hours being born I almost died due to a week late birth, had to be medivaced in a helicopter to a better care center than the current hospital I was born in and placed in a plastic box for a while. When I was 3 I stupidly stood on top of an ant pile going to church with my mom while she was talking to a friend and by the time she looked back to see what I was doing I was covered with thousands of ants. Had to be taken to a hospital after that. When I was 7 I was going to the beach with my friends family and we got hit on the side by a big ass 4 wheel drive truck, rolled the van 5 times and got out of it with a few fractures (and a whole bottle of water dumped on my face...) lol. When I was fifteen I fell off a cliff near my house and broke a collar bone and a few ribs almost punctured my heart. When I was 17 me and some friends were doing some stupid **** by the clay pits in the town where we live (car surfing, drifting, donuts, etc...) and I let my friend drive my car to drop off our friend. He decided it would be smart to drift around the corner (still a dirt road) going 40 miles per hour into the road...It didn't go so well. Hit a tree on the passenger side (my side) and totaled my car (I MEAN IT WAS TOTALED!!! LOL) Had to be sawed out of the car but luckily I was okay xD.

But yeah I really should have a grasp of how serious it is by now...but I think I've learned to perceive death as just another thing that happens in life. It's just a part of the balance and there's really no way you can avoid death. It'll just happen however it was planned to happen. But anyways enough with the life story...

I've already put down about 150 miles on my bike and I've gotten pretty comfortable within the 3 days I've had it. I literally just go to work, get off, and ride. And I've been dreaming of motorcycles 2 years before I even got on one, so in that time span I've learned everything I could about basic riding. So when I jumped on the bike the first time I already knew what to do. It's just a matter of getting to know the bike and being comfortable with it at this point.

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #23
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

I can see you definitely have the ability to weigh risk and benefit. The rest is up to you. If I can ask, do you wear gear when you ride?

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #24
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Yeah. I wear a grey KBC Helmet, some Kevlar Jeans from RHOK, My backpack with some kevlar padding I put in the rear pocket, and some black riding gloves. Don't quite have enough money for a nice jacket yet but I'm definitely planning on it. Road rash sounds a little ruff...I plan on getting the Icon Contra jacket with my next paycheck. I also plan on getting a new helmet (My current helmet I just bought from a friend for twenty bucks) Just not sure of which one to get. It HAS to be blue lol.

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #25
masashi02a
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

you scare me man! be careful!
masashi02a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #26
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Quote:
Yeah. I wear a grey KBC Helmet, some Kevlar Jeans from RHOK, My backpack with some kevlar padding I put in the rear pocket, and some black riding gloves. Don't quite have enough money for a nice jacket yet but I'm definitely planning on it. Road rash sounds a little ruff...I plan on getting the Icon Contra jacket with my next paycheck. I also plan on getting a new helmet (My current helmet I just bought from a friend for twenty bucks) Just not sure of which one to get. It HAS to be blue lol.
I won't argue the color coordination lol My 09 is Blue as well. Once I get the money flowing, it'll be blue everything. I don't know if it means much but I understand your concept of life and death. My father died in a motorcycle accident. It was a shock to everyone, especially considering he didn't own a bike. Long story for another time. I'm glad to hear you were gear. I hope you never have to test it though

As a side note, when you get some extra funds, I would absolutely encourage you to add blue LED's to the inside of your fairings, under the tail, and under the nose,a s well as anywhere you can figure to stick them. If legal in your state (they are in mine), they look awesome and, in my opinion, greatly increase your visibility, especially at night. I ride every night to work and every morning home. Only once have I had a cage violate my right of way at night with those lights on. Glowing blue isn't something cagers see on the roads so it stuns them

Old May 20th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #27
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Twitchy, I see a lot of hard learning in your future. Definitely spend time consistently practicing your skills and improving yourself as a rider can help you in knowing the dynamics, effects, mechanics and limits of you and your bike. If you have to or need to push your limits occasionally, crashing is more likely. So you might want to take it easy or take it to the track. Mental awareness and attitude is something else that can be honed by a new rider.

Do what it takes to gain as much knowledge as possible. Spend some time reading and applying new info as well.
Hundreds of motorcycle safety related articles here: Motorcycle Tips & Techniques - Motorcycle Safety/Dynamics
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #28
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

I can't help but cringe reading this thread. Good luck to you Twitchy...
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #29
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

slow down and take the MSF course before you get yourself killed.
Also.. wear a helmet even if your state doesn't have a mandatory helmet law. Don't put anybody on the back of your bike until you have been riding for a few months.

The questions you are asking are VERY scary to read.
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:25 AM   #30
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Yeah you guys are right. I need to slow down and learn how to ride properly before anything. My friend is taking me out to a parking lot hopefully tomorrow to get me comfortable with everything. We'll be out there all day xD. He's instructed a few of my friends and they turned out to be good riders so hopefully I'll learn a lot then.

Realized this because I took it out to the main road today while it was foggy and when I got into the thick fog I instantly got scared and realized how unsure I was of everything. I zipped that bike around and headed straight towards home lol! Taking my msf course this weekend hopefully.

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:31 AM   #31
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Good Boy!!!! I love that you have come to the realization without a single broken bone or inch of road rash. Seriously, well done. That shows a lot of intelligence.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:26 AM   #32
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Yeah you guys are right. I need to slow down and learn how to ride properly before anything. My friend is taking me out to a parking lot hopefully tomorrow to get me comfortable with everything. We'll be out there all day xD. He's instructed a few of my friends and they turned out to be good riders so hopefully I'll learn a lot then.

Realized this because I took it out to the main road today while it was foggy and when I got into the thick fog I instantly got scared and realized how unsure I was of everything. I zipped that bike around and headed straight towards home lol! Taking my msf course this weekend hopefully.

What does "hopefully" mean? In Connecticut the MSF course comprises of 3 nights of classroom and a full weekend of parking lot. You have to sign up for it and pay in advance and the only time they will cancel the parking lot part of the course is if there are monsoon rains. Either your taking the MSF this weekend or your not.. right?
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:12 AM   #33
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
I mean the thing is I need to learn as fast as possible because I'm moving out on june 1st to my apartment and I don't have a car. My job is 13 miles away from where I'll be living so I'll need to be ready by then.
Get a bicycle....

I actually found my bicycle really helped riding the street. Not so much the skills, as a roadbike forces you to develop the muscles that you use for good body position on the motorcycle.

Of course, my bicycle now is a recumbent, so that's out the window.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:29 AM   #34
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Get a jacket ASAP. Road rash is something you don't want to deal with. It's one of the worst kinds of injuries in terms of raw pain and potential for really bad infections. ATGATT (All the Gear All the Time)

Hopefully, you'll see this before your friend takes you to the parking lot, but even if not. Spend some time off the bike reading, learning, and thinking.

A good place to start is here. Watch the videos. Most of them are free, and short. You can watch just a couple, then think about them, and what they are saying. Try to visualize how to apply what they are teaching. Read the MSF course booklet, if you haven't already.

Take some time and digest it, too. When you get some time, watch Twist of the Wrist 2. It is one of the definitive videos on safe motorcycling. Try to watch it every few months when you are starting out (I still watch it at least annually, and I seem to pick up something new every time).

Notice something here? This is almost all off bike, in your head kind of exercises and learning. Practice (on the bike) is great. It really is, and it's super fun. But, riding is 95% mental. If you aren't thinking at least 12 - 15 seconds ahead of where you are, especially in traffic, on the road where the other people aren't, you are asking for trouble. Be alert, be aware, ride you're invisible. Learn the skills with the MSF, practice them regularly. Take a street oriented track day after at least 6 months, if you can afford one. (Worry about 'real' trackdays later.....).

Stay safe. I want to read a lot of ride reports from you, and no crash reports.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:37 PM   #35
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post
What does "hopefully" mean? In Connecticut the MSF course comprises of 3 nights of classroom and a full weekend of parking lot. You have to sign up for it and pay in advance and the only time they will cancel the parking lot part of the course is if there are monsoon rains. Either your taking the MSF this weekend or your not.. right?
I tried calling to sign up three days in a row but never got an answer so I'm trying to get it scheduled asap. I said hopefully they will have a spot open this weekend but I doubt it.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:39 PM   #36
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Get a jacket ASAP. Road rash is something you don't want to deal with. It's one of the worst kinds of injuries in terms of raw pain and potential for really bad infections. ATGATT (All the Gear All the Time)

Hopefully, you'll see this before your friend takes you to the parking lot, but even if not. Spend some time off the bike reading, learning, and thinking.

A good place to start is here. Watch the videos. Most of them are free, and short. You can watch just a couple, then think about them, and what they are saying. Try to visualize how to apply what they are teaching. Read the MSF course booklet, if you haven't already.

Take some time and digest it, too. When you get some time, watch Twist of the Wrist 2. It is one of the definitive videos on safe motorcycling. Try to watch it every few months when you are starting out (I still watch it at least annually, and I seem to pick up something new every time).

Notice something here? This is almost all off bike, in your head kind of exercises and learning. Practice (on the bike) is great. It really is, and it's super fun. But, riding is 95% mental. If you aren't thinking at least 12 - 15 seconds ahead of where you are, especially in traffic, on the road where the other people aren't, you are asking for trouble. Be alert, be aware, ride you're invisible. Learn the skills with the MSF, practice them regularly. Take a street oriented track day after at least 6 months, if you can afford one. (Worry about 'real' trackdays later.....).

Stay safe. I want to read a lot of ride reports from you, and no crash reports.
Yup I've already seen twist of the wrist twice now and I've been practicing good throttle control and not the brake during turns etc. Countersteering comes natural to me.

I'm also buying a jacket this week. Just have to find a good shop. Don't want to buy it online because I want it asap.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:47 PM   #37
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
..........I'm also buying a jacket this week. Just have to find a good shop. Don't want to buy it online because I want it asap.
You may find good local deals on used gear here:
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:40 PM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I always see people saying that they just want to familiarize themselves with the bike before the MSF but half the point of the MSF is familiarizing you to the bike in a controlled and safe manner. MSF first!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:55 PM   #39
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You may find good local deals on used gear here:
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54
anyone got a few thousand they want to give me. LOTS of cool stuff in there! Even Aerostich and Klim gear.... Ah man!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote