ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 28th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

How to get rid of small rusting on my bike?

My bike had 2 previous owners. One of them must have left the bike outside and some small parts are showing rust spots. Is there a product I can use to clear out the rust? I think there was one but I completely forgot the name.

Here's pics. Some of the nuts and on the front shock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (100.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (68.4 KB, 15 views)
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

http://www.corrosionx.com/rust-remover.html

/thread

We use corrosion x in the Navy. You can have the nastiest rusty corroded part and leave it in this stuff and it'll be new. Its magic.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post

/thread

We use corrosion x in the Navy. You can have the nastiest rusty corroded part and leave it in this stuff and it'll be new. Its magic.
Wow that stuff looks awesome. Gonna pick some up, thanks!

Old February 28th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Interesting, I learned about something new today.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:23 AM   #5
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

The Works toilet bowl cleaner cleans up light rust quickly. A quart costs around $1.50 at Walmart. For small spots I put some on a Q-tip and apply it. Just replaced the fork oil in a Rebel and the chrome forks had quite a bit of rust on them from the clamps. Soaked a cotton ball in The Works and after a few minutes scrubbing, the rust was gone. Be sure to rinse the area well when done.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:31 AM   #6
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

I thought WD40 treats surface rust?

Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Alu foil, ball a bit up & run it under the tap then rub it on the rust.

Aluminium is harder than rust but softer than steel, & when it's wet it'll oxidise robbing the O- ion from the rust turning it back to iron.

Not ideal for what you're looking to do but may be handy for someone searching.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM   #8
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I also use a dremmel with small polishing tips. You can put any type of polish/rust remover on the fabric polishing tips. I have found that it works great with Mothers and it will leave a near mirror shine if you do it enough
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try to find this corrosion X stuff or order some online if I can't find it or grab another rust remover at my local hardware / true value store.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Only works with Q-tips and they are expensive ......
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:56 PM   #11
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

/thread

Because I know someone will ask at come point and I'm also curious: is this stuff safe for your chain? Seems like it would be pretty gnarly on your orings.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Because I know someone will ask at come point and I'm also curious: is this stuff safe for your chain? Seems like it would be pretty gnarly on your orings.
This website said it will work on a bicycle chain but I'm skeptical to know if it would be alright for a fast moving motor chain. I say just stay with a product that is solely designed just for your chain to avoid damage and such. It's a very touchy place and unless you know for sure that it's safe and will lubricate it properly then it definitely shouldn't be used on our bikes.

Does anyone know for sure though?

Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:04 PM   #13
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
We use corrosion x in the Navy.
What? You don't use naval jelly?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #14
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

The corrosion x we use normally makes rubber swell, I wouldn't use it on anything but metal.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

If its a bolt you can remove and let soak for a day or two, just put it in a jar of vinegar. Remember to protect it from rusting again after cleaning it up.
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisthem488 View Post
If its a bolt you can remove and let soak for a day or two, just put it in a jar of vinegar. Remember to protect it from rusting again after cleaning it up.
Good to know. What do you put on to prevent it from rusting? the corrosion X would work but is there some sort of rust-proof wax or something? I think it's more of a cosmetic thing for me than a problem, but I definitely don't want the bike rusting. Once it's a ...liiiiiitttlleee warmer I'll pop my head out of my house and start preparing the bike

Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #17
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

After you get rid of the rust use boeshield.

Its like a wax that soaks into the metal.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:11 AM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This website said it will work on a bicycle chain but I'm skeptical to know if it would be alright for a fast moving motor chain. I say just stay with a product that is solely designed just for your chain to avoid damage and such. It's a very touchy place and unless you know for sure that it's safe and will lubricate it properly then it definitely shouldn't be used on our bikes.

Does anyone know for sure though?
Forceofwill already answered my question about the o-rings.

To be clear I wasn't asking for a chain lube, I was asking about a solvent that could clean/de-grease/de-rust the chain (hence asking that question in this thread, not a chain lube thread). Clean with solvent, rinse generously with water, dry thoroughly with air compressor, lube with chain lube.

Thanks for giving me advice on how to pick a chain lube though.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:14 PM   #19
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Forceofwill already answered my question about the o-rings.

To be clear I wasn't asking for a chain lube, I was asking about a solvent that could clean/de-grease/de-rust the chain (hence asking that question in this thread, not a chain lube thread). Clean with solvent, rinse generously with water, dry thoroughly with air compressor, lube with chain lube.

Thanks for giving me advice on how to pick a chain lube though.
How did he answer your question if he never posted after you? I'm the first one to quote you an answer, unless he PM'd you, lol I would expect a chain lube to also clean, protect, and prevent rust from occuring. A lube that only greases the chain would be a pretty lame product.

One of your questions: "is this stuff safe for your chain". Probably not as it's not labeled a chain lube but more of a rust inhibitor and fighter, but it does say on the website "It is also among the best – if not the best – lubricating and penetrating oils on the market at any price." wasn't your question about this Corrosion X stuff?

It's kind of like buying separate shampoo and conditioner now a days instead of getting the 2 in 1.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
oh boy...

Quote:
How did he answer your question if he never posted after you? I'm the first one to quote you an answer, unless he PM'd you, lol I would expect a chain lube to also clean, protect, and prevent rust from occuring. A lube that only greases the chain would be a pretty lame product.
ummm he did post after me, but before I logged back on... and unlike some people, I read the whole thread before responding. Your answer wasn't an answer to the question I asked. I was asking if it's safe on the O-rings. You answered with how to pick a chain lube; not what was asked.

Tom answered my question completely with this:
Quote:
The corrosion x we use normally makes rubber swell, I wouldn't use it on anything but metal.
(thanks tom )

Brian.
1) in general, you realize that lube/grease also prevents surface rust right? In addition to reducing friction, it covers metal and prevents oxidation (rust) because there's no air contact. That's why when you buy metal stock, there's always a thin layer of oil all over it. Just like when you buy a new moto-chain, it's covered in waxy grease and vacuum sealed so it doesn't oxidize on the shelf.
2) LUBE does not clean. LUBE only lubricates. Solvents clean off fun things like road grime and old lube and general gunk. Generally speaking; solvents clean, lubes lube and prevent rust from starting.

Quote:
One of your questions: "is this stuff safe for your chain". Probably not as it's not labeled a chain lube but more of a rust inhibitor and fighter, but it does say on the website "It is also among the best – if not the best – lubricating and penetrating oils on the market at any price." wasn't your question about this Corrosion X stuff?
Read one sentence further.
Quote:
Seems like it would be pretty gnarly on your orings.
I was asking if it was safe to use as a solvent on the chain because I don't want to destroy the o-rings but I want to clean up gunk and remove rust at the same time, not because I want to use it as a lubricant. Read through my steps for chain cleaning again and you'll see that I'm looking for a good solvent that's safe for the O-rings. hint: solvent, rinse, dry, lube.

Quote:
It's kind of like buying separate shampoo and conditioner now a days instead of getting the 2 in 1.
I've used products that claim to be good at cleaning and lubricating. I find those to be fine at just lubricating, not so much with the cleaning. All they really do for cleaning is make the whole thing really dirty and over-lube it, which then throws lube all over my bike. Using Kerosene to clean then chain lube to lubricate is the best method I've found so far. I was just looking to replace the Kerosene with something that also did a better job of removing occasional surface rust.

Now that we've gone off topic and confused Brian, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
oh boy...

ummm he did post after me, but before I logged back on... and unlike some people, I read the whole thread before responding. Your answer wasn't an answer to the question I asked. I was asking if it's safe on the O-rings. You answered with how to pick a chain lube; not what was asked.

Tom answered my question completely with this:

(thanks tom )

Brian.
1) in general, you realize that lube/grease also prevents surface rust right? In addition to reducing friction, it covers metal and prevents oxidation (rust) because there's no air contact. That's why when you buy metal stock, there's always a thin layer of oil all over it. Just like when you buy a new moto-chain, it's covered in waxy grease and vacuum sealed so it doesn't oxidize on the shelf.
2) LUBE does not clean. LUBE only lubricates. Solvents clean off fun things like road grime and old lube and general gunk. Generally speaking; solvents clean, lubes lube and prevent rust from starting.

Read one sentence further.

I was asking if it was safe to use as a solvent on the chain because I don't want to destroy the o-rings but I want to clean up gunk and remove rust at the same time, not because I want to use it as a lubricant. Read through my steps for chain cleaning again and you'll see that I'm looking for a good solvent that's safe for the O-rings. hint: solvent, rinse, dry, lube.

I've used products that claim to be good at cleaning and lubricating. I find those to be fine at just lubricating, not so much with the cleaning. All they really do for cleaning is make the whole thing really dirty and over-lube it, which then throws lube all over my bike. Using Kerosene to clean then chain lube to lubricate is the best method I've found so far. I was just looking to replace the Kerosene with something that also did a better job of removing occasional surface rust.

Now that we've gone off topic and confused Brian, back to the regularly scheduled programming.
Thanks for the breakdown. Still so confused though

I longboard and for our bearings we need a high speed lube that will prevent corrosion and keep the lube conditionally spinning inside the bearing. They have all different cleaners /2 in ones. Just trying to pass on my knowledge but I guess I didn't know what I was referring too.

edit: nvm, he did mention about o-rings swelling.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM   #22
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

I didn't quote Chris but I was specifically responding to his question about the rings lol. The regular Corrosion X is a great lube/protector for metal parts but based on what we've seen with it I wouldn't use it on rubber.

For the same reason I wouldn't use the rust remover version on the chain.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:42 PM   #23
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I didn't quote Chris but I was specifically responding to his question about the rings lol. The regular Corrosion X is a great lube/protector for metal parts but based on what we've seen with it I wouldn't use it on rubber.

For the same reason I wouldn't use the rust remover version on the chain.
Ah, gotcha.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:11 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's all good.