ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 19th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Be honest here, most of you aren't...

in ATGATT mode on the road all the time, are you?

For me, I wear my jeans, some heavily structure high top sneakers, my now Icon Daytona jacket, and my Fieldsheer reinforced gauntlet style gloves. That's what I ride in.

I can't imagine having to always slip into the Dainese one piece suit each time I need to take a trip to 711.

Not trying to bump heads but that's just how I feel. Maybe I'm just talking more towards those who are always using their motorcycles. I mean if I only ride every so often, I wouldn't mind looking like I'm about to pull a Rossi on the road.

EDIT: Just to prevent anyone else from getting ticked off

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
I'm out and about so please excuse any typos but this is exactly why I love this forum - even if the post isn't of the best nature, many still unconditionally provide very helpful advice. Anyways, I probably should have worded my initial post better but these are responses i was looking forward to getting.

Like my previous post, I wanted suggestions that could help me get closer to ATGATT without my setup being terribly inconvenient -- which I know is a factor most of you roll your eyes to.

So for now, I'm considering what was mentioned: the reinforced pants or at least guards and the CE back pad insert. My back padding is indeed removabe so imagine it could accomodate the pad upgrade.

Last futzed with by IF13; October 20th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
IF13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old October 19th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

So you're not in favor of full gear, and think that you ride more than most people so it's more OK for you than this supposed other group that doesn't use their bikes as seriously as you do.

I imagine this thread will go well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #3
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I'm more often than not in proper gloves, armoured jacket and my schuberth c3. So, same as you, my bike is my primary means of transport, and thus would be highly impractical to change every time I get to work, or the pub or a friends house.

Given the max I can go is 35mph, i've crashed at that and my jeans didn't even get scuffed.

If i were riding in England or France I would step up to proper boots, maybe not bother with riding trousers.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I try to be ATGATT as much as possible. My 15 minute commute to work involves city streets, dirt backroads, highway and twisties. I've had enough close calls to know Spanish drivers are out to kill me

Gear involves a Schuberth S2, no-brand leather reinforced jacket, reinforced jeans, A* leather gloves and Stylemartin boots. Apart from my helmet, my gear feels cheap so I'm in the process of getting an Icon jacket and gauntlets and proper riding pants. If only Europe had some decent resellers...

Even when I just ride 3 minutes down the road for fresh bread in the morning - I've had an SUV take me out in the only roundabout. Ended up crashing and have a nice scar to remind me. Rather sweat than bleed.
Christofini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Dress for the crash, not the ride. I've gone down a few times on the road so I know the importance of gear. Learn from the mistakes and experiences of others unless you want to experience it yourself and hope you live to tell your story.

Old October 20th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #6
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

I'm in favor of full gear but I'm going to be honest and openly say I'm not going to be slipping into a full track suit with pucks and what not 100% of the time.

With the exception of my shoes and pants, I'm positive my gloves, jacket, and helmet are well suited for the ride -- though I'd prefer to have a jacket that had a better back protector. I suppose I could wear my scorpion mesh jacket underneath the leather but I don't know how constrictive that'd be with two sets of elbow and shoulder padding.

Old October 20th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #7
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
So you're not in favor of full gear, and think that you ride more than most people so it's more OK for you than this supposed other group that doesn't use their bikes as seriously as you do.

I imagine this thread will go well.
Also that's a close minded and stretched out way of interpreting my post. What's the harm in talking to people about being in MTGMTT. It's a realistic way of thinking, I don't need to be persecuted for it.

EDIT: If it helps, I read one of the stickies and I'm now considering an oversuit. That or at least pants I can slip over my jeans.

Old October 20th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
I'm in favor of full gear but I'm going to be honest and openly say I'm not going to be slipping into a full track suit with pucks and what not 100% of the time.

With the exception of my shoes and pants, I'm positive my gloves, jacket, and helmet are well suited for the ride -- though I'd prefer to have a jacket that had a better back protector. I suppose I could wear my scorpion mesh jacket underneath the leather but I don't know how constrictive that'd be with two sets of elbow and shoulder padding.
You don't have to be in a full one piece. There are many options out there. Leather has the most protection and can be worn through many crashes with some minor stitching repairs. Everything else will only last one crash. Most good quality jackets will allow you to swap out the cheap back padding to CE rated armor or you could buy a back protector for an additional cost. If you like jeans that much and care for looks, get some armored jeans. You get the casual look with added protection.

If you are going to wear jeans, I suggest you some knee and shin guards. Once your knee hits the ground, your jeans are going to rip instantly and you can probably kiss your knees goodbye.

Get some boots. Cycle Gear has some decent BiLt Trackstar boots that I have been wearing for the past 3-4 years now and has held up to numerous spills on the streets and track.

It's Russian Roulette with how much gear you decide to wear for whatever reasons, but a good majority of people like to have better odds of coming out unscathed and skin graft-free.

Old October 20th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #9
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

ATGATT

I'm ATGATT.

Several years ago, I wore everything except boots and trousers for a quick (5min) trip to the local store.

Guess what happened?

Now I'm ATGATT. But, it's not leather GATT. Textile jacket (with back protector) and zip connected trousers - both armoured and padded. Leather boots. Leather and kevlar gauntlet-style gloves. Helmet. Ear plugs.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I don't wear my riding pants all the time, but I should wear them :/
I have not crashed yet, an know it would suck to crash without the proper gear

Old October 20th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I meant to give a thumbs down to the original post but fat fingered a thumbs up.

For somebody that has barely been riding and already crashed you'd think you'd be aware how important gear is.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #12
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
When on rides around town or commuting, I'm MTGATT. I wear jacket helmet gauntlets and boots (sometimes work boots, almost always motorcycle boots)

When I'm going for a ride to enjoy a nice day on a motorcycle, I walk out the door in full race gear.

I've eaten it on a bicycle at 20+ and it put me in the hospital with a laundry list of injuries. That sucked. I'm not about to do that again.

Maybe you're trying to talk to those who always ride their motorcycles, not just the ones who ride once in a while? Lol. Great attitude. I guess my input isn't valid then; I'm only able to ride for 3 months out of the year and only add miles at a rate of 1000/month.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I used to put on full leather to ride my scooter. Now I just have light gear but it is still full gear. Its the just going to the 7-11 ride that will toss you across someone's hood.

Old October 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #14
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I'm always wearing full gear and I ride everyday. Heck, I don't even ride without ear plugs anymore. Usually I'm wearing a leather jacket (on hot summer days it's a textile/mesh jacket) with full armor and back protector, scorpion textile overpants, tourmaster boots and a*'s gauntlet gloves. That's my everyday gear, on the weekends it's often full leathers, and race boots.

I've never crashed on the street, but I don't want to take the chance of getting injured if I do wreck. I can't afford to be outtta commission for very long if I wreck, and it's really not hard to be ATTGATT if you have good gear.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

im ATGATT now, but definitely not 1 piece track suit if thats your definition. I have drayko jeans that i wear which held up great in a 40mph slide, my armored jacket, gloves, helmet, and my puma V2's for boots. They still have ankle protection, but are by no means race boots. I consider that to be a ATGATT, and i can wear it to work and be comfortable all day without the need to change.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #16
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

I'm out and about so please excuse any typos but this is exactly why I love this forum - even if the post isn't of the best nature, many still unconditionally provide very helpful advice. Anyways, I probably should have worded my initial post better but these are responses i was looking forward to getting.

Like my previous post, I wanted suggestions that could help me get closer to ATGATT without my setup being terribly inconvenient -- which I know is a factor most of you roll your eyes to.

So for now, I'm considering what was mentioned: the reinforced pants or at least guards and the CE back pad insert. My back padding is indeed removabe so imagine it could accomodate the pad upgrade.

Old October 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #17
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Kind of wish I could use the back protector from my scorpion mesh jacket , it covers everything from the tail bone to the back of my neck.

Old October 20th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #18
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I've been doing a lot of local trips around town and I've been rocking a t shirt, jeans, and converse shoes. Oddly enough I always wear gloves though.

On all of my recent fun street rides I've been wearing a jacket, gloves and sometimes boots, with jeans.

I've been doing a lot dirt racing and off road stuff. My street riding habits are much calmer. I'm not out to go super crazy. Just commuting and convenience has become no. 1

So yes, as my attitude and wants change for street riding occasionally I'm sotgsott.

If I'm going to go berserk in the streets the race leathers go on. But I've been slowing down in the streets. Nothing to prove at all.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #19
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

agatt.

arai helmet, half-gauntlet gloves, textile or mesh jacket (own both), sidi ST racing boots, and scorpion over pants.

I only really commute or go to the store. driving 5 mins down the road to grab beer? agatt. is it convenient? no. I crashed at 35 on a longboard and know first hand what road rash feels like, I don't want to deal with it again.

you need to consider what you think is important. I am a very active person with fragile ankles, hence the racing boots. I also like my knees, so I wear over pants.

I am considering making a rack for hard saddle bags this winter to store my boots/pants/jacket/helmet in if I'm headed somewhere that it's impractical to walk around with gear (restaurant, client meeting, etc.).
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #20
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

ATGATT every day, all the time, on every ride for the last 7 years even if I am going one mile to the store. Boots, overpants, jacket, gloves, helmet, ear protection. Full leathers for some canyon runs.

(Ok, some truth; I have rode 200 yards down my street in a tee shirt and jeans to test something. Makes me feel very, very vulnerable.)

Old October 20th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #21
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

ATGAAT. It's my only excuse to look like a badass Power Ranger.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #22
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
My 40ish mph crash sprained my ankle, rashed my knee, and bruised my hips. If i had been wearing a pair of good pants, I would have been on better condition. Oops.

Old October 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #23
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Kind of wish I could use the back protector from my scorpion mesh jacket , it covers everything from the tail bone to the back of my neck.
I have the A*'s bio armor back protector. It offers good coverage and actually fits in all my jackets. It can also be easily trimmed, if needed to fit any jacket, but I didn't need to trim it at all. It's pretty thick and heavy but molds to your shape from your body heat, so after a few minutes you don't even notice it. It definitely feels like it would offer good protection, and can be used in cold temps too.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #24
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I'm always ATGATT. I've seen too many close calls not to be.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I ride to work and back every day the weather is good. Does that qualify as "really using" my motorcycle?

ATGATT.

I will, however, go without riding pants at lunch if I choose to ride the one mile trip to the diner at lunch. That is rare. Usually I eat at my desk. Even on those occasions, I still wear boots, gloves, jacket and helmet.

Just my $0.02, but worrying about how you look is a terrible reason to not wear proper gear.

Frankly I wouldn't want to wear a one-piece track suit for every ride either. Me, I've got leather pants and a jacket. Way more practical.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
...........Maybe I'm just talking more towards those who are always using their motorcycles..........
I only use my motorcycle, except when I go out with my family in the car.

Even when I know that its degree of protection is very limited (null for certain speeds and crashes) I go to extremes in order to wear that skin-bones-eyes-ears protection for each ride, long or short, dry or wet, hot or not so hot (Florida here).

I do all that is in my power and skill not to put those things to test, ........but I still wear them, just in case the cagers achieve boxing me in over bad asphalt and one of them has a mechanical failure at that very moment.

I was a lucky squid when I was very young, .....until an insect landed in my eye, ......then, I started using eye protection.

Somebody talked me into wearing a helmet, which I hated until falling and my head banged uncontrollably over the road more than four times (that was loud !!!).

From the same fall I acquired big scars on my left elbow, knee and left ankle, .......then I decided that a jeans and short shoes were poor protection for the skin, even if they stayed in one piece during a slide.

My gear has saved me some pain a couple of times after that fall (late 80's).
Yes, I have sweated like a crazy many-many times, but that beats one time of skin rash, stitches and broken bones.

Where I can, I carry my gear with me after I park, .....where I cannot, I cable-lock everything to the bike, except the boots.

For that reason I wear motorcycle boots that are comfortable to wear and walk.
Overpants with full leg-length zippers are the second best invention after the wheel, avoiding taking the boots off to change next to the bike.

I am too old to care about what people thing about me while I look like a contortionist around my bike upon arrival and prior to departure.
People that frequently see me doing all that just become familiar with it, ......almost as familiar as I have become.

Do I ever not wear any gear? ...... Yes, ........When I test a repair around the block not going over 30 mph.

If you are not wearing real protection for feet and legs, you could save yourself the inconvenience of wearing a jacket, since injures to lower limbs are much more frequent that injuries to the upper body, except for the face and hands.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #27
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Ken...I wasnt into it either for like 40 years and no one I know does a 1 piece suit all the time. Every week during the warm months...Newsday has an oncoming left death....the broken limbs dont make the paper. Or...look at it like this:
What'll a trip to Stony Brook, Southside or any other ER cost you.....about 3x the price of the best suit you can buy. I'm not convinced aromor will keep you out of the morgue but i'm convinced it'll keep you out of the ER. Up to you though.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #28
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I think it's important to find gear that fits well and you feel comfortable wearing.

Otherwise you'll tend to _not_ wear it.
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I used to be "most" of the gear all the time during my cruiser days. But time and crashes have schooled me up. Now I live by one simple rule. "If I don't have the time or feel like gearing up, I take the cage". It keeps life simple and sane. Sure I don't like it but the alternative is even less attractive.

Now... the only time I squid is from my pit to the tech shed for track/race days, and sometimes I even question that because my low speed downs have been some of the worst.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #30
Enrgkid
Boy Racer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 08' NINJA 250R, 2013 BMW HP4

I ride atgatt wherever I go whether just to the shops or to work.I have a pair of bull it jeans, forma mirage boots, dianese gauntlets for the weekends, short cuff for riding to work and commute. And I have a heavy jacket for the commute, summer jacket for.summer and a leather for the twisties
Enrgkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #31
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

The only thing I don't wear 100% of the time is the leathers, even if I'm heading a mile down the road it's always leather jacket, spine protector, helmet, boots & gloves.

2 piece leather set up worn 90% of the time.

Coming off the bike without gear ****in hurts, I learned that the hard way.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #32
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
...........Now I live by one simple rule. "If I don't have the time or feel like gearing up, I take the cage". It keeps life simple and sane. Sure I don't like it but the alternative is even less attractive............
This is a very intelligent approach: street motorcycling can be dangerous and even fatal, it needs to be taken with seriousness and discipline, ...... or not to be taken at all.

We wear gear because studies have demonstrated that most accidents happen at low speed and without hitting a solid object, situations for which gear is effective protection.

For tougher conditions (higher speeds, crushes and collisions), only our good sense, skills and awareness can protect us by preventing us from putting ourselves in those conditions in first place.

Always consider your gear your very last line of defense and take all the necessary action to never reach that level.

Here is a link that put things in perspective:

http://roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/85.html

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 20th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #33
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I wear Daytona gear all the time. I always wear gloves (and glasses).

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #34
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

why do personal preferences matter? what do is my own business so should what you do and wear, be yours

there isn't a definite answer to your question. There are suggestions and opinions, but answers, no
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #35
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
"If I don't have the time or feel like gearing up, I take the cage".
This is what I do.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

I don't see the point in dropping the $$$ to have it sit in the closet. If I could be bothered to pay for it, I can be bothered to wear it.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #37
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
leather jacket, leather gauntlets, sidi boots, joe rocket helmet and scorpion over pants 99.9% of the time i ride. Only time i have broken that rule is when i go out for lunch on my bike when i am at work, i have been know to not wear the over pants, but i don't like it and feel naked with out them. I have only done this 4 times maybe.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #38
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I wear Daytona gear all the time. I always wear gloves (and glasses).
Nice!

(Love boots that are equal in value to my bike )

Old October 21st, 2013, 07:59 AM   #39
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

GUILTY!!!!

I rode my race around my block with just a t-shirt, shorts, & sandals--made some adjustments to the jetting and needed to butt-dyno.

I don't condone this, and I'm a huge advocate of ATGATT but I'm excused cuz I RACE & I'M a BADASS!!! You don't so you should wear ATGATT!

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:19 AM   #40
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
GUILTY!!!!

I rode my race around my block with just a t-shirt, shorts, & sandals--made some adjustments to the jetting and needed to butt-dyno.

I don't condone this, and I'm a huge advocate of ATGATT but I'm excused cuz I RACE & I'M a BADASS!!! You don't so you should wear ATGATT!
I want to respond to everyone's post but I just cant.

I've never rode with sandals, I can't imagine that being comfortable and if anything, I've never be able to comfortably ride without gloves as well. Going through MSF course just got me used to always having my skin covered.

I'm still working on getting the overpants. That should probably be it in regards to completing my near ATGATT mode.

CE padded jacket
Helmet
Gauntlet gloves
Overpants -- still need to buy
Boots -- still need to buy motorcycle specific boots

As for overpants, do they usually come with knee pads?