Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 30th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #1
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250

trading ninja 250 for cbr 600 f4i?

hey,

So I've been trying to sell my 2012 ninja 250 on craigslist for about a month now. I priced it at $3100 and I'm at ~6700 miles with an oil change done 600 miles ago.

I've gotten little to no offers as of yet, and I really want a cbr 600rr.
I get an offer to trade yesterday, the guy tells me he has a 2005 600 f4i and he is willing to trade because that bike is too big for his wife.

Here is my issue, the bike has 44k miles do you guys think is a fair trade.

I'll have to compromise since i want a 600rr for the under tail exhaust and head light style but is it a good deal?
Animoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The F4i is a nice bike... not crazy-extreme but still a real sport bike.

Depends on how well it's been maintained. 44k wouldn't scare me away IF the owner took care of it and IF it hadn't been crashed.

However, it's almost impossible to sell a bike with that many miles on it... not because the bike's no good, but because it's so easy to find clean low-mileage bikes. Personally that wouldn't bother me, but it's a consideration.

Also, it's a 10-year-old bike. Are you mechanically inclined? Things do wear out and will need replacement due to age... and at some point parts will start to get hard to find. Are you prepared to deal with all of that?

And about that 600rr... just my $0.02, but an undertail exhaust and nice-looking headlights has got to be one of the worst reasons I've ever heard to make the jump from Ninjette to supersport.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I have yet to meet a rider who owned a f4i and didn't like it. And because of that, I don't think parts will be hard to find for some time despite it's age.

However... it's NOT the bike you want. At least round my parts, your resale value will answer your question "is it worth it" or not. Do you homework to see what other f4i's are selling for, and use that as a base number to see how much more you will have to add to it to get the RR you're really after. Then do the same math for your 250.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #4
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

my 2cents worth: its a bad deal for you, the high miles on the Honda makes his moto worth much less than your Ninjette.

Old April 30th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Also, it's a 10-year-old bike. Are you mechanically inclined? Things do wear out and will need replacement due to age... and at some point parts will start to get hard to find. Are you prepared to deal with all of that?

And about that 600rr... just my $0.02, but an undertail exhaust and nice-looking headlights has got to be one of the worst reasons I've ever heard to make the jump from Ninjette to supersport.
I have very little interest in doing mechanical work, just spent the last few days getting my 250 to run again after i got water in my gas, didn't really enjoy fixing it and not riding.

As far as the 600rr, its not just the undertail exhaust and head lights i find sexy. I heard most 600s will feel the same to people coming from a 250, so that being the case I went with the most appealing look, plus most biker dont care for a fuel gauge but i've always enjoyed knowing how much gas i have, plus it supposed to pretty comfortable. I guess what im saying is, out of all the 600s i can afford thats the sexiest one

btw- how long does it take to sell a bike. I've had it posted for a month and got 2 scam offers and 2 actual offers, the 650 being the second one. Im new at selling so i just thought it would sell faster

Old April 30th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Animoto
ninjette.org member

I guess ill do some research on it, but im leaning towards not doing it. If i do trade it, ill have to sell it eventually for the bike i actually want and by then ill likely have 50k+ miles. I haven't seen a bike on Craigslist for that mileage yet. even 2001 bikes have like 30k miles so i might have an even harder time selling that one than my 250.

Old April 30th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
$3,100 is a tad high in my opinion. 250s go for around $2,700 with under 5,000 miles and are in tip top condition (never dropped). But the used market is dependent on your geographic location.

What is the lowest you would let the bike go for?

If it's $2,700, just advertise it for $2,700. Even if they try to negotiate, just say $2,700 is the final price. Non negotiable. At least this way you'll get more bites....the more people you have looking at the bike, the more chances there are for someone making an impulse buy after seeing the bike. They may only have $2,500. But if they are serious and they really like your bike, they'll come up with the extra $200 easily.

On the other hand, someone with $2500 may not want to offer you $2500 on a $3100 ad on CL because they don't want to be that douche low balling.

Here's a trick I use. I just sold my 2009 Ninja 250. I advertised it on CL for $2,400 while everyone was advertising at $2,600 - $3,300. Mine hasn't been dropped. I had $2,700 as the lowest I would go. So why did I advertise it as $2,400??? It's kinda an asshat move.....

In the ad, I wrote, I need it gone ASAP....that's why the low price. No time to play game. No time to show the bike. I had a lot of e-mails. I did not reply to any of them for almost a week. A week later, I replied to all the e-mails saying that I am extremely busy and that the only time I can show the bike was on Sunday at 3pm. If not, they'll have to wait 2 weeks before I will be available again. This gave them 3 or 4 days to wait until Sunday.

I showed up at 3:15pm. There were a few people there already and two more showed up after I arrived. Got much more than my $2,400 asking price.

Yeah.....I'm an asshat. But I didn't want to deal with the low balling offers and tire kickers. If they think there's a demand, they'll pay more.....especially when other buyers were right there to take it if they didn't take it.

Old April 30th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Animoto
ninjette.org member

wow thats a hell of story. Idk if that will work out for me but ill definitely take it into consideration. Most of the bikes that i've seen are $3500 right now, i saw some other ones for 2600-3k.

I was trying to get 3k out of it so i can buy a cbr 600rr for ~3500 - 4k figured the more i make, the less ill pay. But your right about people not wanting to offer because they dont want to low ball, i did that. I always planed to knock $100-$300 of their asking price but if the price was too high i didnt even bother.

I think over all i'll probably end up selling it for 2900-2800, i paid 26 but the bike is worth more than that for sure. And I think i already decided on the F4i. Its a no, I thought it was worth it just so i can have a 600 but if its not the 600 I've been wanting for a few months now, so i dont think its worth it. plus 44k miles doesn't scare everyone but its scares me lol. So yeah thanks man

Old April 30th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #9
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I wouldn't pay that much for a ninja, but pregens with 30k miles go for 2500 around here.

I wouldn't trade for the f4i. (read: THAT particular f4i)
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

For what it's worth... the F4i is considered the most reliable sport bike of all time. 44k miles is nothing for one.

Old April 30th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #11
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I had the F4 as my 2nd bike. Back in the day, FI was almost non existent on bikes.

Such a fun bike. No where as near as the 600RR that replaced it. If I find a clean F4i for cheap, I would considering picking one up again.

Mine was a 1999

Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #12
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

05 F4i w/44k miles isn't a big deal, here's a 04 F4i owner that rode over 200k miles by 2012.

My 06 F4i has little over 12k miles, never any issues, just ride it hard, put it away wet and fire it up the next time.

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote