ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Riding skills - teachable moment

Sitting here in the living room, and I hear a sportbike engine coming closer, then revving what I'd describe as awkwardly as it gets closer. Then I hear a crunch. I look right out my window, and there is a yellow GSX-R600 (a few years old, maybe a 2007-2008 or so) lying on its side, and a guy getting up from it, rolling on the sidewalk right in front of my house.

I go out there to see if he's OK and needs any help, and he is perfectly OK. As I start to help him pick up the bike, immediately a girl and an older gentleman materialize from another car. They run to help him pick it up, and are being all supportive of him. I realize that the girl is the rider's girlfriend, the man is the rider's father, and they are just coming back from picking up his first bike. They are on their ride home. The father lets me know they live right around the corner, I hadn't seen them before.

Turns out this crash is the second time the bike has been down today; he dropped it on the test ride as well. On this one he said that he went to make this turn right in front of our house, was spooked by a parked car, and then went over. Bike is already scratched up pretty good, and the girlfriend was checking out which scrapes were now new since the first drop.

The father tells me that the motorcycle expert who will be helping him along is his girlfriend, who tells me she has an SV-650. Good for her, and I really wanted to say something about how much of a better choice that bike would have been for this poor guy, but seeing as it was already bought and paid for (and now dropped twice), there's likely not much he's going to do about it other than muddle through on a particularly unforgiving bike as he takes baby steps. He did say that he took MSF. I gave him a card in case he wants to ride (slowly) some of the nearby routes as he is learning, I hope he gets in touch at some point. I didn't plug this site, as the last thing he would have wanted to hear right then was he should have bought a Ninja 250. But he should have bought a Ninja 250.

I hope he calls. I also hope I don't see that same yellow bike in another compromising position anytime soon. Anything that anybody else would have shared or said at the time?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Wow, just wow!

I would have told him to get a ninjette once he totals is gixxer.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
.......... Anything that anybody else would have shared or said at the time?
No much to say at that time.
For many newbies, similar rides have been the last one.

It is just sad how these powerful machines are available to inexperienced young guys full of testosterone.

I am not sure, but may be a law should exist to protect them from unscrupulous dealers and sellers, and from their own ignorance.

Limited cc's and HP's until the rider has certain amount of miles under his belt.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=476301 at least he wasn't ringing your doorbell with it

Old April 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #5
choneofakind

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well at least he's ok. Hopefully he hangs out with you more! I ride with one of guys my dad works with. He's on a Triumph Sprint 1000, was born and raised in Britain, and has been riding like 30 years. I have learned a lot from him, and he was a large help in convincing a) my dad to let me get a bike and b) me to get a 250. I hope you can be to this kid what my dad's coworker is to me
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #6
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Dropping his bike twice on the first day riding it, unfortunate. Having a girlfriend that not only rides but is also supposedly an "expert", fortunate.
...I'd trade places with that lucky bastard any day.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

She should have rode it back until he could get comfortable in a parking lot.

I would say to let him ride your 250, except that he might get spooked and drop that too!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I would say to let him ride your 250,
I'd be more comfortable letting him ride your 250.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 16th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
250 is totaled, GOT A GIXXER!!!

So I went to the doctor today to see what's up with my leg. He said they were going to put an upper thigh splint on it which will allow me to put my full weight on my leg. I asked him if I could ride and he said I'd be good to go, the splint contraption thing (I forget what he called it) will allow me to put full weight on the leg and bend it. Well, my 250 is totaled and I'm really not a 1 bike guy, I found a great deal on this 07 gixxer in Milpitas so I hopped on it. Never been down before and it was in great shape. Bought it from the guy and then drove it home.

Well, I haven't ridden in 2 weeks and my skills are kinda mushy, I ended up having to lay the bike down on a side street when this parked car came out of no where. My girl and my dad were following me and they came and helped me pick up the bike, I was pretty pissed. Then this dude with a crazy beard came out of his house, said I was an idiot for buying a gixxer and I shoulda got a 250. I told him I just wrecked my 250 so I needed a bigger bike. He just laughed at me and told me I'm going to end up a bloody pile in a ditch. He tried to give me his card in case I ever wanted help, but I don't need some egotistical douchebag helping me so I told him to piss off. I mean can you even believe this guy? NO SYMPATHY AT ALL!! Who does that?

Anyway here was my bike before I laid it down

/merged
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
/golfclap.

well done, sir.

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
So I went to the doctor today to see what's up with my leg. He said they were going to put an upper thigh splint on it which will allow me to put my full weight on my leg. I asked him if I could ride and he said I'd be good to go, the splint contraption thing (I forget what he called it) will allow me to put full weight on the leg and bend it. Well, my 250 is totaled and I'm really not a 1 bike guy, I found a great deal on this 07 gixxer in Milpitas so I hopped on it. Never been down before and it was in great shape. Bought it from the guy and then drove it home.

Well, I haven't ridden in 2 weeks and my skills are kinda mushy, I ended up having to lay the bike down on a side street when this parked car came out of no where. My girl and my dad were following me and they came and helped me pick up the bike, I was pretty pissed. Then this dude with a crazy beard came out of his house, said I was an idiot for buying a gixxer and I shoulda got a 250. I told him I just wrecked my 250 so I needed a bigger bike. He just laughed at me and told me I'm going to end up a bloody pile in a ditch. He tried to give me his card in case I ever wanted help, but I don't need some egotistical douchebag helping me so I told him to piss off. I mean can you even believe this guy? NO SYMPATHY AT ALL!! Who does that?

Anyway here was my bike before I laid it down

/merged
I was all going to say "should have been a separate parody thread like they do on Anandtech Off-Topic forums" and then I saw the "/merged" at the end.

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
*snip*
I was all going to say "should have been a separate parody thread like they do on Anandtech Off-Topic forums" and then I saw the "/merged" at the end.

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
........... He just laughed at me and told me I'm going to end up a bloody pile in a ditch. He tried to give me his card in case I ever wanted help, but I don't need some egotistical douchebag helping me so I told him to piss off. I mean can you even believe this guy? NO SYMPATHY AT ALL!! Who does that?
The guy was after your girlfriend,...............wait, did you ever tell us that you had one?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nicely done Sean.

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #16
codestp202

Lol I started reading that and I thought jiggles was serious for a second

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13

Tell em Alex...
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
There is no official differentiation between a supersport and a sport. Kawi sets them apart, other manufacturers do not. I do follow kawis rules on supersport and sport naming though. For example a supersport is an i4 with aggressive posture and other upgrades. Everything else is sport
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
There is no official differentiation between a supersport and a sport. Kawi sets them apart, other manufacturers do not. I do follow kawis rules on supersport and sport naming though. For example a supersport is an i4 with aggressive posture and other upgrades. Everything else is sport
Sure they do. A GSX-R 600 is different from an SV650F. A YZF6 is different from an R6. A CBR100RR is different from a CB1000R.

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Sure they do. A GSX-R 600 is different from an SV650F. A YZF6 is different from an R6. A CBR100RR is different from a CB1000R.
No, suzuki has all of their motorcycles listed as sportbikes, not sport and supersport. They don't differentiate, kawi does
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yamaha has all their sport/supersport bikes labeled as supersport bikes

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/content/...ycle_home.aspx

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I think you did the right thing Alex, no more, no less. There are a time and place for things. After falling twice, I would have just wanted to get home and not much else.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #23
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I am not sure, but may be a law should exist to protect them from unscrupulous dealers and sellers, and from their own ignorance.

Limited cc's and HP's until the rider has certain amount of miles under his belt.
That's the way it's done where I'm from, there's 3 ways it goes

1) Do your time & learn from it.

2) De-restrict the bike, ride it with no licence or insurance hoping you're not caught (or are able to out run whoever is trying to stop you).

3) Do your 6+months pre test, pass the test park up for 2 years with a mpoed insured TPO in the shed & go buy a SS when your 2 years are up (with the added bonus of a guaranteed 2 year NCB).

The current restriction is unlimited mileage for 2 years at 33BHP after you pass your test, with a mandatory 6 month wait before the test (+ whatever number of months delay there is at the test centre)

I've had the bike almost 3 years, ride it almost daily, and realistically should have moved up to a more powerful bike by now (as I have recently developed a heavy hand with it looking for more power, hunting for 7th gear, the sort of thing that will get me killed on a SS), but have another 74 days to go before I can legally upgrade.

Mostly I've done route 1
I have mates doing both other 'options'

It causes a lot of lads to take route 2 and ride uninsured (Insurance is mandatory) with the idea that "if I'm caught I'm going to jail, so **** you if you think you can keep up with me"
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #24
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
rolling on the sidewalk right in front of my house.
Alex lives in a house!
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
No, suzuki has all of their motorcycles listed as sportbikes, not sport and supersport. They don't differentiate, kawi does
I'm saying that the model differentation is there. There's no other reason to detune older generation R6 and R1 bikes into FZ6R and FZ1 bikes.

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
As far as suzuki is concerned, theres no such thing as a supersport
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #27
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
GSX 650 F was not a GSX-R 600 but it sure looked like one. Just like the EX650 compared to the ZX6R, it had normal forks as opposed to USD forks, a long "banana seat" instead or a sporty racing seat, upright riding position insttead of low-down clip-on bars and up/rear racing position footpegs.

It just goes to show that most manufacturers have an F or EX line equivalent along with an RR or ZX equivalent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suzuki_GSX_650_F.jpg (37.7 KB, 0 views)

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Not sure what we are debating here. Suzuki does not sell supersports even though that is what you and me would call them
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Not sure what we are debating here. Suzuki does not sell supersports even though that is what you and me would call them
You mean that they don't have a category on their website. The Hyabusa directly compares to the ZX14, which Kawi has categorized on their website as a supersport.

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Yes, same as yamaha.

Suzuki has Sportbikes
Yamaha has Sport
Kawi has Supersport and Sport
Honda has Sport as well
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #31
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Supersport = 600cc racing homologisation (However you spell it)
Superbike = 1000cc racing homologisation

The lower range ones are more sport touring models

Quote:
They do in the UK

Busa, Gixxer thou, 750 & 600 are called Supersport

SV650 GSX600F ect are classed as street bikes

But that's off the point
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Alex lives in a house!
Yup.

Old April 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I hear it has a living room, pretty fancy
AFM #676

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #34
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Hey, how come I get a tut-tut for two off topic posts? My posts must speak too loud...

Anyhoo, just saw this, lucky guy to have wiped out in front of your house. Class act in not making him look like a dickhead in front of his family and I really hope he takes you up on the offer, it will make the roads safer for you too.

Keep us posted on his progress even if it's only "as heard" from your living room.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM   #35
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

Location, Location, Location............. Nice little fixer upper you got there. Couple coats of paint and she'll perk right up.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:00 AM   #36
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

at least he has a lot of land!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote