ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 14th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #1
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

What's fair?

I've resold guitars many a time in my life, but a vehicle is a totally different beast. I'm considering selling my Ninjette and wondering what is considered fair. Some of you may remember that I put it up for sale in October, but lowsided shortly thereafter. At the time, I asked for $3200.

I've replaced everything that got damaged or have a replacement that I just haven't put on (fairings, bar end, brake pedal, exhaust). Would you consider it fair if I asked for the same price?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's worth whatever people would pay for it. If you have replacement parts that will add to the value of the bike, I'd put them on. They are worth much less sitting next to the bike with the seller saying "all you have to do is install them", as if it were that easy with no issues, the seller would have already installed them. Personally, I think that $3200 is quite high for a 6 year old 250, even if it were in perfect condition, but perhaps only by a few hundred $.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #3
rasta
Your face

Yeah....I wouldn't really expect to get that amount

Old January 14th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #4
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I was thinking $3200 was quite a bit high. Wasnt the 250R sold for about $3800 brand new? anyways, KBB and NADA are suggesting that the bike is worth around $2500.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I wouldn't pay more than $2600 for a low mileage mint condition '08-'12 but that's just me, you should be able to sell it for $2800 or so after listing everything that you've done to it.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #6
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

look on CL in my area they go for around 2500.

Old January 14th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #7
rasta
Your face

Thanks for the replies, team. I think I should have worded my question differently. So let me rephrase...

If a bike loses value in a lowside, does replacing any damaged parts restore that lost value? (Assuming only damage was cosmetic)

Old January 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
A fair = a big carnival
Affair = extramarital relations normally of a sexual nature
Fair = many things

2500 max

Old January 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #9
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Thanks for the replies, team. I think I should have worded my question differently. So let me rephrase...

If a bike loses value in a lowside, does replacing any damaged parts restore that lost value? (Assuming only damage was cosmetic)
If its all replaced and the title is clean also if no insurance was involved then why even bring up the low side.

Old January 14th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #10
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
If its all replaced and the title is clean also if no insurance was involved then why even bring up the low side.
He has aftermarket chinese fairings so its obvious they were replaced.

I would say start high and see what happens. Spring is coming anyway so some noob might go for it. I'll also be selling an '08 250 with a similar history very soon haha.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Always start higher than what you actually want. Unless you state the price you want as firm.
For an 08 thats been crashed, 3200 is high, as everyone else has said. 3k is about what you can get away with with maybe a '10-'12 in great condition. I'd just honestly try your luck with mid-upper 2000s. If you find value in the bike, explain to the seller why you think it is worth what it is priced.
Sykes92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Your post low side bike with aftermarket fairings and replacement parts, some not installed, is not worth the same as your pre low side bike in my opinion. The actual $ figure depends on your local market which I'm not familiar with.

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #13
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

It's the quintessential noob bike. There are always people looking to buy these things. One thing to consider is that here in the Bay Area pricing is going to be waaay different than all of the out of state references. Seriously $2500?, pre gens are still going for that all day long. The dealers are still trying to squeeze $3999 out of the new gens. I would start there and expect lower. I was going to start mine a tad lower than yours and mine is bone stock with a whole lotta miles. Although mine has never been crashed. But most noob bikes have kissed the ground and have been destroyed so its no biggie. No one keeps these bikes. Except for the cult like status here, most buy it, learn, crash, pass on to the next noob. The demand is still decent for these. They either pay 3 for a 250 or 4 for a 300. Either way its still seen as a stepping stone bike in the public eye
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #14
rasta
Your face

Yeah the reason I'm thinking about selling is there's been a crop of 300s on Craigs recently for around 4000, which is foooor sure the lowest I've seen 'round these parts. Ugh I have no patience

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #15
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Yeah the reason I'm thinking about selling is there's been a crop of 300s on Craigs recently for around 4000, which is foooor sure the lowest I've seen 'round these parts. Ugh I have no patience
Just wait for spring. Prices will shoot back up before you know it.

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #16
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

In all seriousness, I wouldn't buy a 300. It's marginally better than what you have now. In spring time people are going to want what 4500 at the minimum. That's dumb, you can get older 600s, ducs, and other much more entertaining machinery for that price.

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #17
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

^ not trying to offend anyone with a 300. Cough cough I wish I had fuel injection too. But I'm just saying dollar for dollar it is what it is

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #18
rasta
Your face

That's a good point Cam. I should probably ride a 300 first before I get all wet over them lol. Damn stores and their no test ride policy

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #19
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Yea that's what sucks. It's really hard to decide on a bike without knowing what it's like. Maybe you do want a 300 but realize that it is more or less the exact same bike you have now. Which is a 30 hp machine.

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #20
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
You can ride my beat up bike if you want it's stock in terms of power.

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #21
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Rasta her bike pulls on mine quite a bit. I noticed while getting on the freeway she would start walking on me every time. Although it doesn't help that I ride like grandpa.

Old January 14th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #22
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

I had a similar dilemma. My company gives out generous bonuses every year, and it is tempting to swap out the two-fiddy for a 300. But at the same time, mine already has over 1.4k in mods. Stuff I would have to rebuy for the 300. And I JUST got the bike in Nov. My friend plans to buy a 300 this spring, so I might get a chance to see if it's worth the hype. Cause my other plan was to ride the 250 for at least a year or two and til I've got a solid basic foundation of riding, and then upgrade to a 600cc class. I wish dealerships had at least 1 test-ride designated bike of each kind. It's hard to buy a bike you've never ridden haha.

Old January 15th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #23
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
You can ride my beat up bike if you want it's stock in terms of power.
I might just have to do that! I'll also checkout the super sports on CL and go on some joy....I mean test rides

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #24
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
like others have said there is lots of variability. Just try and be competitive with SELLING prices in your area. Big difference between a list price and a selling price.

Seems people in CA always mention how much used new gens sell for there but hear in the east the used selling price especially on CL seems to be several hundred $ lower.

That being said I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for your bike.... not because it isn't worth it, hell ya it is but if I just sit tight for a few weeks I will find a nicer bike for close to same amount of cash, but again this is me and I have no crazy itch to buy another new gen, catch someone in the moment and tip the scale in your favor.

as far as picking up a new bike, look into one that fits the bill, and try not to get caught up in the moment like mentioned above, try and keep at least a toe on the ground

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #25
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes92 View Post
I had a similar dilemma. My company gives out generous bonuses every year, and it is tempting to swap out the two-fiddy for a 300. But at the same time, mine already has over 1.4k in mods. Stuff I would have to rebuy for the 300. And I JUST got the bike in Nov. My friend plans to buy a 300 this spring, so I might get a chance to see if it's worth the hype. Cause my other plan was to ride the 250 for at least a year or two and til I've got a solid basic foundation of riding, and then upgrade to a 600cc class. I wish dealerships had at least 1 test-ride designated bike of each kind. It's hard to buy a bike you've never ridden haha.
no offense but given some posts of yours I would hold off for a little bit before getting a new bike, the bike you have now seems to be capable of everything you need it to do. JMO

If dealers offered test rides on bikes I feel like they would go broke on insurance costs and fuel alone, there would be squids lined up out the door everyday looking to go for quick joy rides on toys they can't afford, again JMO

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old January 15th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #26
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
I can usually get test rides at dealerships somehow, it's usually on bikes from the used section.
If ya buddy doesn't get his, I will probly be riding to Baltimore this summer to see a few ol army folks. You can ride mine(long as you stay out of your driveway jk jk jk lololol)

Old January 15th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #27
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
no offense but given some posts of yours I would hold off for a little bit before getting a new bike, the bike you have now seems to be capable of everything you need it to do. JMO

If dealers offered test rides on bikes I feel like they would go broke on insurance costs and fuel alone, there would be squids lined up out the door everyday looking to go for quick joy rides on toys they can't afford, again JMO
I understand why they don't give test rides. I completely do. I was just saying.
As to your opinion, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I don't know what 50cc's is really going to affect. If it's a jab at riding skills, fair enough (however I learned a lot since those posts, despite not saying anything about it. I try to soak up Motofools links/advice like a sponge), but it's not like upgrading from 250 to 600cc supersport. It's just an extra boost of power. The big reason not to would be to not go through registration/tax/insurance all over again so soon lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I can usually get test rides at dealerships somehow, it's usually on bikes from the used section.
If ya buddy doesn't get his, I will probly be riding to Baltimore this summer to see a few ol army folks. You can ride mine(long as you stay out of your driveway jk jk jk lololol)
lol dude my driveway is a nightmare, it's literally all gravel and it's shared with a gravel parking lot, it gets torn up and then its got patches of ice in it most of the time. It's crazy :P. Haven't had an drops whatsoever for a while though *knock on wood*

But back on topic, yeah Rasta I say find one to test ride and if it fancies you, why not? Treat yourself.

Old January 15th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #28
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
lol dude my driveway is a nightmare, it's literally all gravel and it's shared with a gravel parking lot, it gets torn up and then its got patches of ice in it most of the time. It's crazy :P. Haven't had an drops whatsoever for a while though *knock on wood*

But back on topic, yeah Rasta I say find one to test ride and if it fancies you, why not? Treat yourself.
I'm sure... Parkin lots and driveways can be a nightmare, I will never forget the look on Ryan's face when he told me about how he scratched his bike all up in that parkinlot (the one with the slippery when wet sealant cover ) I have a gravel drive, happily it's pretty much good an broke in, pendin sadly new gravel

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #29
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
@Sykes92 not a jab at all, I could really give 2 ****s about you and your riding... sorry interwebz creates emotional separation

I was thinking more about the bike, not sure if and or how your drop rate has improved but I just think it would be a shame to drop a nice shiny mint bike. I don't follow all of your posts but perhaps you have gained more skill and low speed drops are a thing of the past.

And it's not just 50cc you get with a 300, if that is why you want a 300, is for "50cc" I suggest you rethink the decision all together as that reason alone would certainly not make it worth it in my book.

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
@Sykes92 not a jab at all, I could really give 2 ****s about you and your riding... sorry interwebz creates emotional separation
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #31
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
ok, I've never owned a newgen 250 but I have been able to ride one before. If you're going to sell it an upgrade to a 300 isn't really worth it if more power is what you want, the handling feels worlds better than a pregen but the newgen's handling feels better too so the difference is smaller. The reason I bought the bike was because I needed something that I could ride without the level of self control a supersport requires and didn't want anything heavy feeling like a 650. Insurance was a factor but if you're upgrading you can expect that to go up regardless.

The advantages of the 300 over a newgen 250 are really fuel injection and that they're slightly better with a passenger and slightly more comfortable on the highway. The power difference really isn't that noticeable though it is there, what you will notice is the better turn in and handling response but that's a much more noticeable thing from a pregen than newgen. I'd vote that you look into more powerful bikes otherwise upgrading really isn't worth it, had my engine not blown I'd still be on my pregen and wouldn't have gotten a 300 (or I'd be on a 600 already)

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #32
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
in my defense I did apologize

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #33
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

^^^ if that was an apology I'd hate to see you really take a shot.

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Joe reminds me of this.

Link to original page on YouTube.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #35
Ish
ninjette.org member

Name: Ish

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001 KX125 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #36
rasta
Your face

I always forget how expensive my insurance will be for any bike bigger than a 300. Really, if I got a supersport or even F4i, after 2 years, I'd end up paying more for insurance than the bike itself.

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #37
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
A bike that has been down is less valuable then a bike that has not been down. The fairings only shows outside damage, but you never know how much damage has really been done. A simple tip over on my ZX6R broke the mirror and foot peg, closer inspection i noticed the Fairing Stay got tweaked too.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #38
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
I always forget how expensive my insurance will be for any bike bigger than a 300. Really, if I got a supersport or even F4i, after 2 years, I'd end up paying more for insurance than the bike itself.
Well, they're out to get the young folk Wonder if the 25 and over thing is real...

No harm in posting up and seeing what bites - you can always drop the price or just take the bike off the market again.
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #39
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I think it's more off of your supposed experience level as well as age, so over 25 I know is cheaper car insurance not sure about bike but I assume that'll go down as well. I have been informed that with state farm they factor in how many years you've been riding and if you get a supersport/superbike within your first 3 years of riding then they consider you a risk and give you higher insurance (if you get collision/comprehension)

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #40
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Oh I didn't know that. Time to talk to my agent again
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote