ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
im50un1que
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

New rider

I am practicing on a learner permit. I was on the right hand side of the street and needed to be in the left to make a left turn. In the middle of the right and left lanes, there was a set of metro tracks which I tried crossing over. My bike wobbled over the slippery tracks and I went down on my left hand side. I was wearing a leather jacket with leather guards, my helmet, and leather gloves. I had a scrape on my knees and some bruising from going down.
Now on to the bike, my gear shifter was bent on, which luckily a neighbor helped me bend back on. My fairings have scratches like some from the other pictures and my left front turn signal was gone. My question is do I bother replacing the fairing on a 2010 250r blue which I'm having trouble finding for in this color or put frame sliders on? I have ordered an OEM replacement left front turn signal already. Some friends had suggested getting flush mount turn signals because "it looks cool". One particular friend's suggestion stuck out to me and that was not to get flush mounts because they are not visible, especially if I'm a new rider. I'm all about safety and know this is a dangerous, but good way of transportation. Let me know what you think
im50un1que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by im50un1que View Post
I am practicing on a learner permit. I was on the right hand side of the street and needed to be in the left to make a left turn. In the middle of the right and left lanes, there was a set of metro tracks which I tried crossing over. My bike wobbled over the slippery tracks and I went down on my left hand side. I was wearing a leather jacket with leather guards, my helmet, and leather gloves. I had a scrape on my knees and some bruising from going down.
Now on to the bike, my gear shifter was bent on, which luckily a neighbor helped me bend back on. My fairings have scratches like some from the other pictures and my left front turn signal was gone. My question is do I bother replacing the fairing on a 2010 250r blue which I'm having trouble finding for in this color or put frame sliders on? I have ordered an OEM replacement left front turn signal already. Some friends had suggested getting flush mount turn signals because "it looks cool". One particular friend's suggestion stuck out to me and that was not to get flush mounts because they are not visible, especially if I'm a new rider. I'm all about safety and know this is a dangerous, but good way of transportation. Let me know what you think
If that fairing isn't too bad, put it back on. It's only cosmetic. Wouldn't you feel bad if you bought another fairing, and then went down again? Either that or run it without fairings for a bit til you have more confidence on the bike.
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
In my opinion flush mounts have great visibility from the side but not the front. If you go flush mounts maybe try mirrors with intergrated blinkers.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #4
im50un1que
ninjette.org newbie

Frame sliders

Do you think frame sliders would be a good investment? Right side is fine, but *knock on wood* wouldn't like this to happen again.

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Frame sliders are always a good investment for new riders, or any rider for that matter if you want to minimize damage in the event of a lay down or slide.

That being said, do some shopping around and see which ones you think are the best bang for your buck. T-rex and shogun are two good brands I know people have used.

As far as replacing the fairing, unless it's cracked don't replace it yet. If you intend to sell or trade in the bike within a year it won't be worth it to make it look slightly more AESTHETICALLY pleasing. But if you intend to keep your ninja 250 then replacing it might not be a bad idea depending on the amount of damage ( pictures would help! ). There are some alternative to replacing such as stickers (if you are into that sort of thing), vinyl wraps, touch up, or even trying to repaint it. I don't recommend the last one though.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Not to be pessimistic but if you've already go down going over tracks then chances are one of the hundreds of other hazards out there for motorcyclist will catch you off guard and you'll be thankful you had on frame sliders.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Also I forgot to ask. When you crossed the tracks were you perpendicular as you could be, any lean angle, etc?

Old January 30th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Since it wasn't said yet... how about take an MSF? Don't bother replacing the fairing, it's just looks. Maybe later on replace them, but right now, I don't think I would.

Old January 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
Since it wasn't said yet... how about take an MSF? Don't bother replacing the fairing, it's just looks. Maybe later on replace them, but right now, I don't think I would.
Oh yeah, I didn't catch that. I saw learner's and thought it was Europe or something since they have a tiered system for motorcycle licenses. Not sure how it works in his neck of the woods, but here in FL we just take the MSF after we have a license and they add "Motorcycles Also" to the bottom of our card and that's that, no learner license.

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #10
im50un1que
ninjette.org newbie

I have taken the written test and passed that. I've taken some private lessons in a parking lot, similar to the MSF. I'm planning on taking the MSF, but wanted some extra practice. The learner's permit lets you practice in the day with restrictions such as no passengers and only during the day.

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #11
im50un1que
ninjette.org newbie

I was crossing at a 45 degree angle as stated in the motorcycle's handbook. I just felt it wobble underneath me and I went down

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #12
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I would definately suggest the sliders (I have the shogun ones) the dealer threw them in with the bike, but couldn't install them until two days after I took the bike home. Guess who dropped her bike in those two days? Yup... Anyway, I dropped it one more time when the sliders were on and they worked perfectly.

I've only had one more instance where the bike almost fell but this time I had learned how to catch it and bring it back up (although I pulled my back doing so, my bike weights almost 4x my weight) it might have been better to just set it down and pick it up at a better angle.

But anyway, even if you think you won't drop your bike again (you will) your paying for the peace of mind that it won't damage your bike any further.
PrincessJae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Brandon!

Bummer about crashing and hope you get everything sorted to your liking.

Ride safe!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just FYI, frame sliders move the impact of a crash from the fairings to the frame and engine.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #15
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Just FYI, frame sliders move the impact of a crash from the fairings to the frame and engine.
Okay so that is true. That's what I thought. With that in mind, why the hell would anyone want these?

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Blystr842
Venom Sponsored

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R x2 (his & hers), 05 Honda CRF250R

Personally I stayed away from flush mounts for visibility reasons. I ended up using custom LED signals that mount up in the same spots as the stock signals but they don't stick out quite as far, but they're extremely bright and look sick. It's really personal preference.

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Okay so that is true. That's what I thought. With that in mind, why the hell would anyone want these?
If you fall over in your driveway sliders will help you get away with minimal damage. High speed not so much
AFM #676

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #18
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

May I recommend you look over this site. I read just about every tip on here I could before I got brought my bike home. I found it very useful. Of course, I'll give full credit to mr @Motofool

http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

Last futzed with by himynameisjoe; January 30th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
himynameisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #19
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If you fall over in your driveway sliders will help you get away with minimal damage. High speed not so much
But people don't buy them for driveway spills... are people that worried about keeping the plastics on their bike pretty? Even if it means ruining their bike?

Wait, that pretty much describes the modern human race never mind.

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I had sliders on my first bike. They scratched my engine when I crashed
AFM #676

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
I was crossing at a 45 degree angle as stated in the motorcycle's handbook. I just felt it wobble underneath me and I went down
My first crash ever happened exactly in the same way.

I wouldn't cross those tracks at any angle other than perpendicular, especially if they are not level with the street and the front tire can get caught in that trap (making the bike change direction and falling over).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #22
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.......Of course, I'll give full credit to mr @Motofool
Thank you much, Joe.

Yes, I highly recommend studying those safety tips.

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:56 AM   #23
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
But people don't buy them for driveway spills... are people that worried about keeping the plastics on their bike pretty? Even if it means ruining their bike?

Wait, that pretty much describes the modern human race never mind.
When jiggles says high speed im pretty sure he means highway speeds or more (track). When you go down at those speeds your more than likely going to be totaling the bike out anyway, so its no big deal. But for most people who tend to go down from the sitting still to the 30-40 mph lowsides, the frame sliders do their job quite well. My gf lowsided at about 20mph and the sliders took most of the impact. Her fairings still have some scuffs, but it would be have been a lot worse without them.

I have a set of shoguns on my shelf waiting for me to not be lazy. I will put them on soon enough and take them off when i go to the track. The main thought is that on the track if you low side your bike will generally just keep sliding away, with frame sliders it has a chance to dig into the grass/dirt and flip the bike.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
My first crash ever happened exactly in the same way.

I wouldn't cross those tracks at any angle other than perpendicular, especially if they are not level with the street and the front tire can get caught in that trap (making the bike change direction and falling over).
This is exactly why i asked about the angle. I ALSO crossed a railroad at a less than perfect perpendicular angle and the tracks also happened to be a bit wet which added to the fun of the whole situation and thee tracks ALSO happened to be running through the center of a round about, and the entrance to this round about makes you come at the tracks from an angle unless you went through at 5 mph and lined yourself up perfectly while almost going into the other lane. So back to me crossing these tracks, I knew the tracks were wet and usually I cross these tracks without problem because they are level with the pavement for the most part, except that time as soon as my wheels touched it I started going into a slide or lowside and by some retarded luck I managed to keep calm and for some reason I lightly applied MORE gas and made the bike find traction and pick itself back up. I had to check my pants after that one. I had a car on the side and behind me at the time too, i don't think they even realized what had almost just happened haha.

So long story short, railroad = perpendicular if you can, if not and you aren't being pushed on time try taking a side road around it instead of risking yourself and your bike. If it can't be helped and you can to take the track at an angle try going a bit slow and get it as perpendicular as possible anyway, don't pay attention to anyone behind you. they know you're on a bike and if they don't realize what you're doing they'll figure it out after you start riding normal once you go over it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:39 AM   #25
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
I have taken the written test and passed that. I've taken some private lessons in a parking lot, similar to the MSF. I'm planning on taking the MSF, but wanted some extra practice. The learner's permit lets you practice in the day with restrictions such as no passengers and only during the day.
I'd say quit with the planning and "private lessons" and just take the MSF already. The MSF is designed in such a way that it treats you as if you've never been on a motorcycle before, or hell, never even seen one. It pretty much hand feeds you all the basics from which controls are what all the way to what to do in certain traffic situations. It also teaches you the basics of riding, one of which includes crossing objects or tracks in the road.

I got my MSF for free since I'm military and I understand that not everyone can afford it but if it's something you're planning on doing, I recommend doing it asap.

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:52 PM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Read these articles:

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa...t_problems.htm

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/de...ategory=skills

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:24 PM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
45 degree angle

Thinking this would be the minimal angle you would want to cross, and this would be if Tracks were parallel with direction of traffic. If tracks are at any angle to direction of traffic crossing at an angle greater than 45 degrees should be possible and preferred. Idealistically as people mentioned crossing perpendicular (90 degree angle) is best case scenario but not always possible. Have the bike straight up and down when crossing is a good idea as well.

Once throttle control is gained, a good crossing angle and a little bit of a blip along with rearward weight distribution can lighten the front end slightly and make crossing angled obstacles less of a hazard. Take extra precaution when things are wet, it is possible for the rear to get hung up and slip as well if there is a height difference on obstacle and you are giving throttle while rear is going over obstacle.

Keep riding, you only get better, live and learn.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:40 AM   #28
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

I think for frame sliders it is actually dropping Is bad because it is blunt force and sliding is the best in case of lowside.

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:09 AM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
I think for frame sliders it is actually dropping Is bad because it is blunt force and sliding is the best in case of lowside.
Apparently bikes fall slower when they are moving
AFM #676

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:30 AM   #30
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

when you low side your angle gets low then the frame slider hooks then slides like it should. Its like if you punch something if its a dead on hit its stronger then if your graze.

Old February 1st, 2013, 06:38 AM   #31
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
when you low side your angle gets low then the frame slider hooks then slides like it should. Its like if you punch something if its a dead on hit its stronger then if your graze.
I think what Jiggles is trying to say is that gravity doesn't change because it's sliding or falling from a stand still. It's still going to hit at the same speed roughly, thus at the same impact strength, give or take.

Old February 1st, 2013, 07:21 AM   #32
subxero
dirty boy

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
I think what Jiggles is trying to say is that gravity doesn't change because it's sliding or falling from a stand still. It's still going to hit at the same speed roughly, thus at the same impact strength, give or take.
I c what he was trying to get at,
the force will be different in most low sides because you are already leaned over. The distance the bike falls before the frame sliders make contact is less. Less time for acceleration means less force.

But, i agree with Jiggs and Falcor, For starters odds of you just straight up dropping the bike from full upright and not trying to catch it or lessen the force at all are not very good, normally you are on the bike...and try to impede the drop, not always i guess.
And once you hit the ground in a low side, even 30mph, now you have the actual force in the y (gravity) direction in addition to the force from moving, now you have 2 things to worry about. If the slider hits anything, or gets hung up on anything it is all going straight to the frame, bending who knows what. Sliders are not cheap either, would rather spend my money on something else personally.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:16 AM   #33
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Sorry to hear about this OP - nearly went down on the muni tracks as well but on a bicycle...fell into the rut and the tracks were super slippery.

This vid was on (BARF) a few months back, don't know if you've seen it before. Poster of the vid said frame sliders helped them in the comments. Good bit of discussion on it in the above posts

Link to original page on YouTube.

Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:18 AM   #34
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Sorry to hear about the accident. As for flush mounts, they look cool, but they seem quite expensive for good ones and aren't nearly as visible as the stock signals.
Bones85 is offline   Reply With Quote