ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 15th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaria

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Searching for a SUPER breathable summertime jacket, any suggestions?

Hey all!

I live in Florida and I'm dreading zipping into my jacket this summer, so I'm in the market for the most breathable, comfortable jacket I can get my hands on.

All suggestions/recommendations are welcome and greatly appreciated!

I'm leaning toward the Icon Women's Overlord Sportbike SB1 Mesh Jacket, http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...B1-Mesh-Jacket

Thanks <3
Jx3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I have an Joe Rocket Cleo I wear and carry the outer shell of my TourMaster to wear over it when the temps drop or if there is a sudden rain storm.

Not sure what it is like in FL in the dead heat of summer, but I found that summer desert riding really improves if i have a hydration vest under my gear. Its just a special vest you soak in cold water then as the water evaporates it helps keep your core cool.

I've also taken to sharing this article a LOT since so many new riders have the same thought that heat = less or more open gear.

Short rides, the mesh jacket will work just make sure that it still holds the armor securely in place. I like having a light long sleeve shirt on underneath so my skin doesn't get too hot but the cloth stays cool with the wind.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Embrace the sweat!!!!

You can be truly comfortable, or you can be safe. It's really hard to be both at the same time. Something's gotta give....

Ultimately this is something we all decide for ourselves.

Some things to consider:

A jacket shell has two functions.

First, it protects your skin by sliding along the pavement so you don't have to. Leather slides. Textile does not slide quite as well and disintegrates faster. Mesh disintegrates faster still. Imagine holding your jacket up to a running belt sander. That's what's going to happen to it if you go down at speed. So: You want to think about abrasion when you buy a jacket.

Second, the jacket shell holds the armor in place. Put a jacket on. Reach across your chest and grab the opposite elbow pad. Pull. If you can rotate it around your arm, then that's what's going to happen to it when you hit the ground. So: A tight jacket is good, while a loose jacket won't serve the purpose for which you are wearing it in the first place.

My own priorities place safety first, so I wear full leather gear (jacket, pants and gauntlets, with proper boots) and armor at all times. To get it as comfortable as possible my jacket and pants are fully perforated, and on the hottest summer days I use the good old "swamp cooler" method -- i.e. wear a wicking long-sleeved tee shirt and a skull cap, and completely soak both in water before putting my jacket and helmet on. The "swamp cooler" cools through evaporation and can be positively chilly, at least until things dry out... but recharging is easy. I carry street clothes in a bag and change if I need to look good when I get to where I'm going.

(edit: I just read the Iron Butt article linked above and they describe precisely this method)

I keep jeans and shoes at work and just stick a fresh shirt in my bag for my daily commute. When I get there I hit the rest room and am ready for the day in about three minutes.

Most would not readily adopt my strategy, I think, because it requires you to put up with a certain level of inconvenience in the name of protecting your hide (having to either wear your gear at your destination or change clothes). Your skin, your choice. Where do your priorities lie? How indestructible are you?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I agree with the above, full protection that's as perforated as possible and just suffer the heat is the safest way to go that's within reason. Personally though once it breaks 90 degrees out I have to switch to squid mode, which for me is: helmet, gloves (perforated leather short cuff), boots (perforated), icon stryker vest, icon stryker knee/shin/elbow guards and riding jeans. it breathes well and I believe it would hold up reasonably, my jacket and soon to arrive suit would protect me more but those are a lot hotter. As per the article linked above over 93 degrees the wind doesn't help cool you but you'll still cool down easier at a stop than if you're wearing a textile or leather jacket, What I do is bring along my camelbak. They cost about $100 but you can use them for all of your outdoor activities and they work really well to keep your water cold (just put some ice in there if it's really hot out to ensure ice cold water)
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #5
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
My Cleo 2.2 was very breathable. AND it held up and protected me great when a car jumped out in front of me.

When you hit 100+* though, nothing is breathable enough... I go for the air conditioned cage.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #6
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I would look into the Rukka brand. I do not have personal experience with this brand yet, but it sounds good for the type of thing you are looking for and I have heard amazing things. It is like mesh, but way more protective and flows huge amounts of air. I really wish they had a female version of this, I'd be all over it.

Here's a review from Revzilla... http://youtu.be/5wcktmqskic, Rukka Air-Y (women's) http://youtu.be/Yf_nwZWBHR4 and there is also the Rev'it Airwave. I LOVE Rev'it gear. I will be in a similar situation too, I just don't need it now. Also, the new Rev'it Sand (available for pre-order) has the option to put in a cooling vest, which is something you might want to look into, along with hydration pack, as mentioned.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #7
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
camel pack with water and a good leather jacket.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Jx3
ninjette.org member

I never said anything about putting my comfort over safety, I'm just asking the community if anyone has a summer/breathable SAFE jacket that they would recommend. Or like the first reply suggested, a hydration vest. Never would have thought of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Embrace the sweat!!!!

You can be truly comfortable, or you can be safe. It's really hard to be both at the same time. Something's gotta give....

Ultimately this is something we all decide for ourselves.

Some things to consider:

A jacket shell has two functions.

First, it protects your skin by sliding along the pavement so you don't have to. Leather slides. Textile does not slide quite as well and disintegrates faster. Mesh disintegrates faster still. Imagine holding your jacket up to a running belt sander. That's what's going to happen to it if you go down at speed. So: You want to think about abrasion when you buy a jacket.

Second, the jacket shell holds the armor in place. Put a jacket on. Reach across your chest and grab the opposite elbow pad. Pull. If you can rotate it around your arm, then that's what's going to happen to it when you hit the ground. So: A tight jacket is good, while a loose jacket won't serve the purpose for which you are wearing it in the first place.

My own priorities place safety first, so I wear full leather gear (jacket, pants and gauntlets, with proper boots) and armor at all times. To get it as comfortable as possible my jacket and pants are fully perforated, and on the hottest summer days I use the good old "swamp cooler" method -- i.e. wear a wicking long-sleeved tee shirt and a skull cap, and completely soak both in water before putting my jacket and helmet on. The "swamp cooler" cools through evaporation and can be positively chilly, at least until things dry out... but recharging is easy. I carry street clothes in a bag and change if I need to look good when I get to where I'm going.

(edit: I just read the Iron Butt article linked above and they describe precisely this method)

I keep jeans and shoes at work and just stick a fresh shirt in my bag for my daily commute. When I get there I hit the rest room and am ready for the day in about three minutes.

Most would not readily adopt my strategy, I think, because it requires you to put up with a certain level of inconvenience in the name of protecting your hide (having to either wear your gear at your destination or change clothes). Your skin, your choice. Where do your priorities lie? How indestructible are you?

Old January 20th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Jx3
ninjette.org member

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I'll be digging around for the best combo for summer time and probably post a little success story when the time comes.

Thanks again!

Old January 31st, 2014, 05:13 PM   #10
speaktosumboedy
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...textile-jacket

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...otector-insert

I have the Rev'it Tarmac Air Textile Jacket with a Rev'it seesoft back protector. Each breath extremely well and has been moderately comfortable during 100+ weather.

Now about the protection... It's completely mesh on the chest which is obviously not ideal, but does come with CE shoulder and elbow protection and is supposedly more abrasion resistant. I haven't tested that part out.
speaktosumboedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 06:47 PM   #11
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jx3 View Post
I never said anything about putting my comfort over afety, I'm just asking the community if anyone has a summer/breathable SAFE jacket that they would recommend. Or like the first reply suggested, a hydration vest. Never would have thought of it.
After reading Title and OP it looked like safety was not a consideration.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 06:58 PM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
love my RS Taichi GMX motion. I think it is awesome bang of your buck. Great leather, good stitching, good protection and it is almost entirely perferated so it provides great air flow for the money plus they look pretty good to boot.

As long as you are moving and not sitting in traffic this jacket is quite comfortable. Mine is black so that does not help in the sun.

http://www.gearauthority.com/rs-taic...FUHNOgodGX8ADg

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:32 PM   #13
Josh_kcco
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '04 Ninja 250R

xelement has some that are $50 bucks with shoulder pads and elbow pads and a back pad. leatherup.com has them.
Josh_kcco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2014, 04:59 PM   #14
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Not what I wear, but I have thought about this for those scorching days: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10916

Form commuting when it's north of 90*, I wear a mesh/textile jacket over an A* hard-armor jacket. Not as good as leather, but I feel pretty protected in it, and it flows a ton of air. If I'm riding to really ride, it's all leather no matter the temps.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:19 PM   #15
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

i havent had the chance to test out my jacket in hot weather, but I have the Scorpion Assailant jacket in white. it has some interesting venting features along with perf leather in the upper chest.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #16
fleemos
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ6R, 2014 Suzuki GSX-R600

Revit Airwave

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-jacket

Last futzed with by fleemos; February 13th, 2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: adding link
fleemos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2014, 05:23 AM   #17
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

I had a black mesh jacket and discovered when stopped that it heated up quickly. Replaced it with a Joe Rocket white mesh jacket and it was more comfortable. Not sure if they offer women's jackets in white, but they should.

Bought an evaporation vest and wore it one time. It wasn't very effective in the high humidity of the Southeast. A wet T-shirt under the jacket was much more effective at cooling, but dried out in 15-20 minutes riding time.

Also have a Motoport kevlar mesh jacket in Hi-vis. http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=27&Itemid=15

More armor than the Joe Rocket jacket, and a little longer length, making it not quite as cool on very hot days.

Last futzed with by flitecontrol; February 15th, 2014 at 01:38 PM.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote