ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old October 4th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Unhappy 3rd time is a charm....

I wrecked again this past Friday after work.

TLDR version:
no gear
low speed
single vehicle accident
fine invisible silt on the road
front end washed out
stitches
road rash
cannot ride for a long time

The long story version:

I came home from work on time for once. I had noticed that my front end was clucking loose over bumps and figured the last accident had knocked my stem bearings loose or at least my stem nut since I could loosen it by hand. So I tightened up the stem bearings down just a smidge and torqued the stem nut down to spec. Did other maintenance and checked my tire pressures. I saw the front could use a couple pounds of air and the rear could use a boost as well. I had already put my gear up and I was sweaty from wrenching on the bike so figured I squid it up to the gas station half a mile down the road and air up the tires. I only made it a quarter mile down the road, if that.

There was a water main that had broke and was spilling water on the right side of the road (3 lane road). I ride in the far left lane away from the water and pass the spillage where all 3 lanes were dry. I want to say I had just barely began to squeeze the front brake and that's when the front just gave out. My approximate speed would have to be 25 mph or less. It happened fast but the impact of falling snapped the end of my clutch lever off cutting a small hole in my left hand. My left knee hit the pavement, chest hit the ground and median. Face touched the median which caused my glasses to scrape under my eyelid.

The lady behind me slowed down and pulled out over the lanes to make sure I didn't get run over and asked if I was ok and what had happened. I told her that it was something on the road which caused my bike to lose traction. She asked if I need an ambulance which I responded no. I went over to pick up my phone and pencil gauge which had fallen out of my breast pocket and proceeded to pick up my bike which was still running. I told her I was going to ride back home and she asked if she could follow me to make sure I was ok and I told her thanks and I would not mind it.

Got to my place, thanked the lady for her help and cleaned myself up to drive myself to the my friendly neighborhood urgent care center that I have visited before for my previous accidents. Got stitches and pain meds. I will not be riding for a while until after the wedding. The fiancee is stressed enough as it is.

I was really really lucky. I could have killed myself easily. Please wear your gear everyone. Do not fool yourself thinking nothing can happen within a short distance of travel even at slow speeds. Expect the unexpected or otherwise it will bite back at you hard.

I'll post pictures eventually with a disclaimer possibly.

Old October 4th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Sorry to hear that Cuong.
For your future I wish you all the best and may always watch you - besides your fiancee
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sorry man... best of luck to you and your girl. Heal fast!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

What rotten luck. Sorry to hear about the wreck. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate mishap with us. Really reminds all of us that a 1 mile ride to the gas station with no gear is a risk.

I admit I do this too. The gas station is about 3/4 - 1 mile down the road (40mph limit) and I too, ride with sneakers, t-shirt, jeans & no gloves to the gas station at times. I do wear a helmet though. But never again.

Were you wearing some sort of helmet?

Old October 4th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #5
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Ouch man, you'll be in my prayers. Best of luck with the healing, hope your fiancé fairs better than you, i know weddings can take a toll on a persons sanity ( Sisters a wedding planner)

Old October 5th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #6
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

heal up quick buddy! That's some rotten luck right there...

Old October 5th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #7
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

That sucks man. Most of us hear about those crashes so close to home but think, "eh, it's right down the road." Do you think you would have got up without injury if you were wearing your normal gear?
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
That sucks man. Most of us hear about those crashes so close to home but think, "eh, it's right down the road." Do you think you would have got up without injury if you were wearing your normal gear?
Had I been wearing my gear most of my injuries could have been prevented. Gloves would probably prevented me from having stitches. Hard to say if it was laceration from being pinched or just being cut up by the sharp edge of the clutch lever.

Old October 5th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
........ I ride in the far left lane away from the water and pass the spillage where all 3 lanes were dry. I want to say I had just barely began to squeeze the front brake and that's when the front just gave out........
Very sorry to read this, Cuong

Diesel spill, algae growth maybe?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

A good reminder to always put on that gear before taking a quick spin. I've done this numerous times after working on the bike (thankfully without crashing). I will almost always put on a pair of gloves along with my helmet tho.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #11
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very sorry to read this, Cuong

Diesel spill, algae growth maybe?
Just very fine dust.

Old October 5th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #12
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you heal fast, I have heard several similar stories this season. Thankfully the lady was there to help.

Old October 12th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #13
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Well finally pulled the 4th set of bandages off and cleaned up the wounds. New skin growth looks good but it looks like I took a decent chunk of skin off just below the knee. I can finally confirm that my clutch lever pinched a chunk of integral part of skin off my hand and exposing the meaty stuff. I'm going to pay a visit to the doc tomorrow after work to see if it's time to remove the stitches and what's my next course of action for healing. I'm actually learning a lot in wound care and healing being an unfortunate guinea pig....

Old October 13th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Heal soon !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sorry to hear about your multiple crashes Hope you're not suffering too much with your wounds. Thankfully none of your injuries are so bad that you can't ride again. So hopefully you'll heal up and gear up soon and get back to riding ^-^