Old December 12th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Thumbs up Scorpion EXO-R410 Helmet Review

Part 1:

INITIAL PRODUCT REVIEW:

Motorcycle Superstore's Deal of the Day had the Scorpion EXO-R410 for $59.98 shipped and I had to get it. My first and current helmet are its predecessor: the EXO-R400.

FITMENT:
The earlier model was designed to have more of a round shape whereas the 410 was more of a neutral shape. I wore a large previously and bought a large since the helmet sizing didn't seem to change between the two models. I recalled initially with the 400 that my forehead became kind of numb from wearing the helmet inititally but the numbness went away as the helmet broke in. Putting the 410 on, it felt like the helmet was made for my large noggin. It was a perfect fit all around. With it on, I could tell that they had removed some of the padding material near the temple for fitment of glasses for riders who wear them like myself. On the 400 model, I had to push the glasses inbetween my temple and the padding. I ended up snapping my wire frames and had to get thicker plastic frame glasses to alleviate the issue. Now my glasses slide in and out without issue nor pressure on the temple.

VISOR:
They have changed the racheting/locking mechanism. They got rid of the bulky mechanism for their Ellip-Tek system making the outside of the visor smooth and more aerodynamic. Also now, the visor closes closer if not flush to most of the helmet body which reduces wind noise. There is also more fine tuning adjustment to make sure the visor seal against the eyeport gasket. On the previous model, did not much have room to work with since the locking mechanism mounting plate was already flush against the helmet body. With the addition of the visor lock, they did away with the low dent to crack the visor to defog or get some air in. With the same locking lever on the left side, you push down the lever which lifts the visor on the left side a crack to vent some air in to aid in defogging as well as added cooling. You won’t have to worry about it closing shut on you at speed. On the previous model when you cracked the visor and get up to speed, the visor would close shut. It’s even more predominant when the visor dents wear from opening and closing excessively. I have never needed to use a lock for the visor nor have had the visor pop up or out in my getoffs with the previous helmet. Switching visors is a whole lot simpler. Two things bad I can find so far are how loud it slams shut which is not much of a problem if you are already wearing earplugs and the visor tab to open and close it is too far sucked into the helmet. The tab for the visor is the same size as the old model but the visor sat out on the surface of the helmet on the 400.

VENTILATION:
BIG IMPROVEMENT! Now take this with a grain of salt as this is coming from the older model. The older model had really small openings for the chin and forehead/brow vents which didn't channel air into the helmet well. On the 410, you have a large opening for the chin vents as well as the chimney vents which both are easily operable with gloves. If you look inside the helmet, you will see two ports directly behind the chin area. Also, you will see that they added additional ventilation holes in the foam shell so hot air can escape out from the top. The new helmet liner design help aids in cooling and ventilation resembling that of a bicylce helmet. There are always holes in the EPS helmet liner in each section of the padding as well to aid in ventilation. My only complaint with the head liner is the front plastic brow section was reduced in half and replaced with a mesh material which makes reinstalling the liner back in kind of troublesome.

ADDED FEATURES:
Scorpion added emergency pull tabs on the cheek pads to aid in removal of the helmet in the event a rider goes down. It is a very simple design yet very effective.

Other issues:
The current helmet I got, I found the foam shell to be loose inside the helmet shell so I am sending this back for an exchange. Also, a small paint mark that looked like a scratch but that's nothing I'd care about considering the price I paid.

I’ll add in my second review when I get the new replacement back and get some miles on the helmet.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old December 13th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #2
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Thanks for the review! I've had the hiviz version on my wishlist for a while to replace my EXO-700.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Mike K
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 track bike, 2007 Suzuki GSXR 750 track bike, 2002 Yamaha R6, 1995 CBR600RR f3 track bike

Great review. I have one too and agree that it's a really nice helmet to be sure especially considering the low price and Snell rating. I bought a R-410 last spring and have about 2500 miles on it. No complaints at all. I have a big square head when viewed from the side, prominent forehead so many helmets really press into my forehead. The R-410 has molded to my noodle nicely and it didn't take long to break in. I can pretty easily put on my glasses and don't have any temple discomfort on long rides. I'm 20 minutes north of Trenton and I've ridden to AC without breaks and frequent bumper to bumper traffic in the August heat and the R-410 remains comfortable. I can't say the same for the leather one-piece though! The helmet flows a lot of air with all of the vents open. I don't find it to be noisy but I always wear ear plugs. My Ninja has a Muzzy 2 into 1 pipe and can that is obnoxiouly loud. I love it but it gives me a headache without ear protection. This is my first Scorpion and I'm sold on the brand. Nothing on it feels cheap or "plasticy" which is pretty amazing given the price. Only thing I wish it had is the flip down sun visor as I use a clear shield.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 01:00 PM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I like what they did with the 410; Great review!

Old January 11th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #5
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

Scorpion helmets-dropdown sun visor

Thanks for the review. I have been using Scorpion helmets for years now and and I think they are top notch.

I am thinking of getting an EXO-T1200. These have the dropdown sun shield and I have a concern. When both the clear shield and the sun shield are down, I will obviously be looking through two shields. I am wondering if looking through both simultaneously causes any visual distortion. It seems like it would, especially since the shields must be separated by an inch or so.

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with the dropdown shield.

Thanks !!
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Not with that helmet, but I do have one with a drop-down shield.

Don't worry about it. No distortion.

Consider that if you're in your car wearing sunglasses, you're also looking through two layers of transparency. Do you notice any distortion in that situation?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #7
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

Good point about the car windshield...thanks !
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
The only thing I don't like about the EXO-R410 is that they skimped out on the top layer of foam. Yes....it flows more air. However, because my head shape is pretty oval (and pointy), the top of my head touches the hard portion of the helmet and on long rides, I get a pressure point right on top of my head.

Old June 29th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Velcro a small piece of padding/foam up there Cadd. If it don't help, you can remove it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #10
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I just did that. Double sided taped it on. Didn't help. Around the 50 min mark, it got sensitive again. The worst is that it's a pressure point. It made me start grinding my teeth and had the urge to ride aggressively. Lol.

I pulled over at a Starbucks to chill out. Since I have a pointy head, I think I need to velcro some padding not directly on the center, but just an inch off to the sides. This way the weight gets distributed more evenly on the top of my head.

I'll update after a few more rides.

Old June 29th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well of course move it around to where it makes sense, and also think about the size of the pad.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote