ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 1st, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Warstrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): none yet (deposit for Ninja 300 ABS)

Sidi boots

I am looking to buy a pair of sidi boots. Sidi has good reputation and their boots are made in Italy (as opposed to china, India etc. for other brands) thus better quality.

I am a new rider. Still have not taken my msf course. I plan to buy a motorycle in march and practice for a while before commuting to work. I will plan commuting for the most part during non rainy weather during spring/summer/fall. Also will try to do track and group rides.

I do not think I need to get full size boots - not practical. I want to be able to walk around the office/and short trips out of the office. I am thinking half size boots like sidi air traffic or sidi apex boots. Leaning toward traffic air as they look more as regular boots with good protection. How these boots feel during colder weather and hot weather? Is protection for these close to full size boots?

What do you also think of smaller riding boots like sidi nitro or sidi street burner?
Do you think they maybe I should get these smaller riding boots first as a new rider?

I think sidi air traffic can be used for commuting, walking short distances, on track, good ventilation during hot weather and warm enough for colder non-rainy days. Seems most practical choice.
Warstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Half size boots are not practical. Think of boots like condoms, how much protection do you get from half a condom? None. If you're not going to get a full boot then instead save the money for your ankle surgery deductible.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
btw, I wear a full boot and walk around college with them. I've also gone hiking in them.
AFM #676

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Think about it this way: You can pay $195 for the Air Traffic, or $200 for the Fusion boots. I had the previous $200-level sidi boots (B2 race boots, they'd fit between the current Fusion and Cobra Air lines) until I melted the right one with the exhaust at the Zero to Hero, and still have a pair of the Fusion Rains that I wear whenever it gets wet out. They're quite comfortable to walk around in, and have better overall protection than the shorter boots. They sit outside my leathers, or tuck up into jeans just as comfortably. Unless it's simply for looks (which is a valid concern), there isn't any other reason to get the Apex or Air Traffic boots over a comparably kitted-out full-height pair.

Just my $.02, ymmv.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:57 AM   #5
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I've had my Sidi Cobras for a year now and love them, I will probably go with the ST on my next pair which are above the Cobra but below the Vortice. I can walk in them just fine for hours on end.

I don't think anything less than a full boot is track legal, so starting with the Sidi Cobra or Alpinestars SMX-5 would be a good start in the $220-250 range. Most boots have an air/vented version so your feet will always have an adequate amount of airflow.

Your feet and ankles are important, don't cheap out on them because of image concerns. Wear your pants over them and nobody will notice.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:01 AM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Only full boots are track legal.

Also. As Jiggles so quaintly put it; only full boots are practical. This is about your protection not about looking cool. If its that bad, bring a pair of shoes. You wont regret it when you crash.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:03 AM   #7
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Every time Max posts, I want a Dainese suit more and more. I seriously might pick one up next year...

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:28 AM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

It's very close to my favorite piece of gear (My helmet has to take first.) Worth every penny I spent on it and you absolutely should get one. Dainese gear all feels like there was a little Italian man making that particular item just for you. I love it.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:31 AM   #9
menikmati

Dat Nexx.

I regret not hopping on Revzilla's Black Friday deals when they had 15% off Dainese gear, it was almost $200 off that suit.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I love my Vortices...

Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM   #11
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Only full boots are track legal.

Also. As Jiggles so quaintly put it; only full boots are practical. This is about your protection not about looking cool. If its that bad, bring a pair of shoes. You wont regret it when you crash.
thats exactly what i do.
i wear the full boots for the ride in and have a stash of clothes/shoes at work or in the back pack.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:12 AM   #12
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

I'm on my second pair of Sidis and love them. My wife also wears Sidis. They are very comfortable and offer lots of protection. I normally wear a size 9 shoe and the size 42 Sidis fit perfectly. The 43 was definitely too big and caused my heel to lift. I like the fact that the boots aren't too big and cumbersome like others with the innner booties (Alpinestars) and they are comfortable to walk in. You can replace all the bolt on pieces which is a nice touch.

I still have my Sidi Race Vertebra boots and the only issues I've had is the shiny silver ankle piece (see pic) broke after riding a friend's RMZ450 and one of the zipper pulls came off. The zipper still works and I simply attached a small key ring to replace the zipper pull. They are now my boots I use when the CRF450R is setup for the dirt. The soles are starting to wear down after many years of use so I picked up a pair of Sidi B-2 boots. The B-2s don't have the carbon fiber bling and extra ankle pieces but have worked great on the street and track on a variety of bikes for. I wear them with my leathers, jeans, and textile suit. I've looked at the shorter boots but prefer to have the full protection of the full length ones.

Bottom line: you can't go wrong with Sidi!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00110.jpg (83.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2008_Sidi_B-2_Boots.jpg (50.6 KB, 7 views)

Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #13
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I love my sidi cobras but at times I felt like I wanted something less track worthy for daily commutes.
I plan on ordering these and think they will be all you need for standard street riding:
http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=41

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #14
EsrTek

Realized the pervious post was for the wrong boots (although Im sure they'd be fine, they aren't the ones I really wanted to post...so here they are now:

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=42

PS- Not sure how ppl are voting on posts now???

Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:42 AM   #15
rawbert625
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): the cool ones

To be honest the sidi fusions are a lot more comfortable than the apex. I tried both at my local shop. The apex is literally just the bottom half of the vertigo. It had a really really stiff sole. I can't see myself walking for more than a few minutes in those. I ended getting the fusions and I walk in them all the time on campus. Full length boots aren't really as bad as you think it is, just have to break them in. Plus full length boots are the way to go; the alternative offers no protection to the shin or calves.
rawbert625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbert625 View Post
Plus full length boots are the way to go; the alternative offers no protection to the shin or calves.
Nor the ankles.
AFM #676

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:02 PM   #17
1ER6F
#41 Noriyuki Haga

Name: 1ER6F

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r Track Bike

I purchased a pair of Sidi Cobra boots about 6 months ago. I wear a size 10.5 and the Sidi 44 worked out perfect for me. I purchased them locally so that I could get them sized right so I didn't mind paying a little extra. You can find them cheaper online but keep in mind if they don't fit you're going to incur some additional cost shipping them back for an exchange. I found they were a little difficult getting used to at first but now I absolutely love them. I have a pair of ankle high Frank Thomas boots also which are great but they definitely don't offer the same protection. I highly recommend getting the full boot if you're putting up the money for some Sidi's. And you'll be just as comfortable or uncomfortable walking in the full boot as you are the half boot.
1ER6F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

A reinforced riding boot/shoe that covers up the ankle completely should protect the ankle.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #19
lgk

not a fan of the "low top" riding boots.

they don't protect against hyper extension of the ankle.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
A reinforced riding boot/shoe that covers up the ankle completely should protect the ankle.
If the boot does not restrict the ankles movement then it does not protect the ankle. No "shoe" is going to protect your ankle, only a full boot will
AFM #676

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM   #21
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

You don't need $225-300 boots for street usage. Period.

Just get something that covers your ankle, and you'll be fine.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
You don't need $225-300 boots for street usage. Period.

Just get something that covers your ankle, and you'll be fine.
Coming from years of experience yeah?
AFM #676

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:25 PM   #23
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If the boot does not restrict the ankles movement then it does not protect the ankle. No "shoe" is going to protect your ankle, only a full boot will
I didn't think of hyper extending the ankle. Was more thinking of crush/abrasion protection.

I'll have to check my "shoe" to see how much it limits my ankle movement. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-scarpa-dyno
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:40 PM   #24
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Coming from years of experience yeah?
Coming from being in a wreck myself. My ankles were fine. Peoples opinions in gear are always going to differ.

For daily commuting and leisurely riding you don't need a pair of boots that are rated for 180 mph crashes. If you can't see the logic in this, then I feel bad for you.

I agree with you on the fact that you DO need something that cover your ankle, but anything above the ankle is relatively useless. As for you walking around campus in your motorcycle boots... and hiking... that seems a bit stupid. The boots aren't made for that. Get some sneakers and hiking boots.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

This reminded me of a clip commonly used for motorcycle crash videos on youtube. Bunch of squids riding and one of them goes speeding by and clips a guy above the ankle and tore through the fairing.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:51 PM   #26
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compooky View Post
clips a guy above the ankle and tore through the fairing.
something like this?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106665

would have probably been a lot worse if Alex didn't have good boots.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hey Vlad, I see your a smart guy, looking at gear and all before you get a bike. Well done! I am sure you know the difference between the boot types and the levels of protection they offer. After all is said and done in this thread, it's up to you what gear you buy. Of course we would like to see you protected to the highest level but sometimes you just simply "get what you want".

Good luck with your gear selection, bike purchase, msf and future riding.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM   #28
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

Boot type

Quote:
Half size boots are not practical. Think of boots like condoms, how much protection do you get from half a condom? None. If you're not going to get a full boot then instead save the money for your ankle surgery deductible.
RIGHT ! I use the Sidi Fusion Air and I have no problem walking in them.
When you fall ( and you WILL fall), ankle boots like the Sidi Street Burner will offer you almost NO ankle protection.

If you don't like the look of a full boot, leave your riding pants out to cover the upper part. Personally, I always tuck my riding pants into my boots. That also eliminates the possibility of getting your pant leg hung up on the foot peg when you are using the rear brake.
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Coming from being in a wreck myself. My ankles were fine. Peoples opinions in gear are always going to differ.

For daily commuting and leisurely riding you don't need a pair of boots that are rated for 180 mph crashes. If you can't see the logic in this, then I feel bad for you.

I agree with you on the fact that you DO need something that cover your ankle, but anything above the ankle is relatively useless. As for you walking around campus in your motorcycle boots... and hiking... that seems a bit stupid. The boots aren't made for that. Get some sneakers and hiking boots.
I would have broken my ankle in my crash if I hadn't been wearing full boots

I was on my way to cycle gear
AFM #676

Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

Don't be stingy on gear since you'll probably want to upgrade eventually anyway. Before I took the brc, I got a pair of Sidi Slash. Used it for a couple of weeks and then thought "these boots suck..." and ordered the Sidi ST. It's not hard to walk around in the ST. Just can't walk quickly. The first pair of boots has been untouched and is still gathering dust to this day.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Warstrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): none yet (deposit for Ninja 300 ABS)

Thank you all for sharing your experience and opinions. I do like full size boots as they offer better protection and look cool. I might as well get full size for practicing around the neighborhood and on the track and worry about practicality at a later time when I start riding to work etc.

Do I need any other special gear for the track like snell approved helmet, suit, leather gear, special gloves... Etc
Warstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #32
EsrTek

Leather 1 piece (some let u run a 2 piece but it must be zippered to each other) w/ pucks
Full gauntlet gloves, and full boots (like the Sidi's)

Other things bike related are needed but not the scope of this thread.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:

I agree with you on the fact that you DO need something that cover your ankle, but anything above the ankle is relatively useless.
I try not to react to you, but things like this just can't stand, as they are not only blatantly wrong, but you get pissy about people pointing it out to you. Stop giving gear advice on this site. Consider stopping to give any advice on this site. It isn't helping you, or anyone else.

No boots are rated at 180 mph. Motorcycle boots are designed to protect the ankle, and the only way they can do that is if they can both fully support the ankle, as well as restrict its movement from being hyperextended laterally or torsionally. The only way they can do that is if they go significantly above the ankle joint itself.

No gear is failsafe, and you can still get ankle injuries with even the most protective of motorcycle boots. But the right gear can in fact minimize the chances. The car that hits a motorcycle doesn't really care if the rider was out for a leisure ride, a commuting ride, or a canyon strafing run. The only thing that matters at that point is both luck and the gear the rider chose to try and protect themselves.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:08 PM   #34
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I try not to react to you, but things like this just can't stand, as they are not only blatantly wrong, but you get pissy about people pointing it out to you. Stop giving gear advice on this site. Consider stopping to give any advice on this site. It isn't helping you, or anyone else.

No boots are rated at 180 mph. Motorcycle boots are designed to protect the ankle, and the only way they can do that is if they can both fully support the ankle, as well as restrict its movement from being hyperextended laterally or torsionally. The only way they can do that is if they go significantly above the ankle joint itself.

No gear is failsafe, and you can still get ankle injuries with even the most protective of motorcycle boots. But the right gear can in fact minimize the chances. The car that hits a motorcycle doesn't really care if the rider was out for a leisure ride, a commuting ride, or a canyon strafing run. The only thing that matters at that point is both luck and the gear the rider chose to try and protect themselves.

Soo, essentially you're saying that every single motorcycle boot/shoe that doesn't cover the entire ankle, is completely and utterly useless?

Don't be silly.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:11 PM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sorry, you've overstayed your welcome.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:12 PM   #36
menikmati

Well, he did go from Sidi Cobras to Dainese Technical Sneakers...

Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:20 AM   #37
kirbie
My jigglets are jiggled

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE 250R, Sym Mio 50 (scooter!)

Quote:
Soo, essentially you're saying that every single motorcycle boot/shoe that doesn't cover the entire ankle, is completely and utterly useless?

Don't be silly.

Actually, I agree with Jiggles and Alex.

Coming from a kinesiology background, yes, any boot that does not fully restrict movement can cause hyperextension. When athletic trainers (that is, people who are on-site in case of an emergency during sports games) treat ankles, we make sure to tape up to about 6 inches below the knee, and tightly. Anything less is worthless at protecting the ankle.

If you had a cast on your wrist, the cast would often go halfway toward the elbow. It wouldn't stop an inch or two past the wrist.

Coming from riding experience, I would have torn out my right ankle when I lowsided at 60kph. It's possible with bad luck... anyway that's my two cents.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM   #38
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 :: Pearl White

If you're trying to protect yourself, then do it right and don't just pay lip service; protect yourself against abrasion and hyperextension. The only downside is the upfront cost in boots that offer maximum protection with current knowledge and technology have an expensive initial investment.

It pretty much comes down to this: do you want to pay later for hospital costs or right now for quality gear? Like Alex said, some crashes are beyond the scope of even the best gear. All we can do is put forth our best effort to protect ourselves against reasonably foreseeable incidents.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:51 AM   #39
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It pretty much comes down to this: do you want to pay later for hospital costs or right now for quality gear?
don't forget about the pain....

Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:54 AM   #40
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 :: Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
don't forget about the pain....
There's that aspect too. Crap gear won't help in that area either. We could go further with lost wages, girlfriend dumping you for not putting out and turning into a lazy slob, too many Monster energy empties around the computer monitor.....it can go downhill in a hurry.