ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 20th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #1
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

5000 miles and two years in, First Accident Story

Riding since Feb 2012, with 5000 miles under my belt. Yesterday was my first accident.

Lane splitting west on Washington through Culver City, CA during morning rush hour after my 35 mile commute. Just two blocks away from work. When all of a sudden, as I am coasting between the two lanes of dead stopped traffic at 20MPH, I notice an Infiniti eeking its way through a small gap of cars in the left lane, trying to turn left from opposing traffic. Its path perpendicular to mine.

I brake hard, lock the front wheel, skidding, front end drops out, skid a foot or two to a stop, nearly damaging the BMW SUV on my right as the bike drops.

Right leg somewhat pinned, but easily comes out. Get up without much pain other than a skinned right ankle, deployed the kickstand, and tried to pickup the bike using the back on the seat, squat technique. Too heavy. Business man gets out of car to help. Bike up.

Other witnesses get out of car to check up on me. Felt unusually happy that cagers were so nice; LA rush hour cagers no less.

Bike won't start. Shift to neutral. Push to the side. Infiniti driver apologizes. BMW SUV driver assures me there was no damage to his car without the friendly, "Are you OK?"

As you can see in the photo above, the road is two lanes on each side with random, small center turn lanes between large tree planter medians. Could the overgrown trees contributed to both of our lack of visibility? It is a distinct possibility.

Damage report: Right blinker sheered off. Probably glueable. Need new bulb.
Scratches on right fairings, decals, brake lever and a massive crack on the left fairing! Seems as though the force was transferred to the left side of the bike somehow. Steering felt very slightly off center but it could be my brain playing tricks.

Gear report: was wearing leather/textile overpants and some motorcycle boots. Definitely saved my leg from burn or deeper damage. Still useable.

Bike report: Got the bike started after some throttling during startup. The gas tank tipped on the side probably flooded the engine. Just needed more oxygen.

Who's fault: Nobody's. Conditions made it so we both could not see each other. Gaps between dead stopped traffic can be VERY deceiving. A car 5 feet wide can fit into a 6 foot gap and I couldnt see that gap until it was too late.

I guess you could say my fault since I was splitting lanes, which is dangerous by itself, but I still consider it to be nobody's faults except the conditions.

What I learned: Use the rear brake. I didn't use any engine braking or rear brake to stop. It was 100% front brake. I am now consistently covering my rear brake at all times, something that a 6' 2" guy has trouble doing on these 250s.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #2
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Good to see your analysis and that you were left uninjured.

I thought you would've had a lot more miles within the past 2 years.

Old February 20th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #3
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I'm 6 feet 125 pounds (I know super skinny) and I can lift my bike up pretty easily I found that lifting it up with an underhand dead lift technique is easier than the squat technique.
What kind of boots were you wearing? because since my last accident where I broke my ankle I'm looking for boots with the best ankle protection.
jefe305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #4
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Sorry to hear about your accident . For what it's worth, 5k miles in 2 years isn't really that much at all.

You sure it wasn't anybody's fault?

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Quote:
1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.
I understand the situation, cars turning in the middle of tons of traffic can be VERY hard to see. That said, if you followed the CHP Guidelines for lane splitting, I think this accident would have been avoided. Much easier to emergency brake w/o locking up when you're traveling at 10 mph versus 20

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 04:57 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
............I brake hard, lock the front wheel, skidding, front end drops out, skid a foot or two to a stop............
Practice this during your next 5K miles:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114555

It is great that you are well and that the bike is repairable,
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 05:22 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

Glad your ok.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 09:08 AM   #7
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

glad to hear you're OK.

I see this same thing coming back home during rush hour. If i'm lane splitting in that situation i definitely slow down and also blip my horn a few times to let the driver know i'm coming through and have the right of way.

Had you collided with the infiniti they would be at fault. What he was doing is illegal despite drivers stopping and letting him through for the very reason you nearly hit him. Either peds, bicycle, or a lane splitting cycle could still be coming through.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Learning experience ...
and you took some knowledge from it
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Riding since Feb 2012, with 5000 miles under my belt. Yesterday was my first accident.

Lane splitting
This is where I stopped reading. Let me guess, some guy pulled out in your path and you crashed or braked too hard and crashed?

Reason why I never lane split. Yes, it's a hassle having to wait along with everyone else, but at least I won't get my head split open.

Judging by the fact you're posting your experience, I'm sure you are ok/almost ok. Glad to hear you're alive.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Good to hear your not injured badly. Also good to hear that you found this to be a learning experience. Time to fix what needs done and jump right back on.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:46 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
congratulations, welcome to the club.

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:46 AM   #12
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
This is where I stopped reading. Let me guess, some guy pulled out in your path and you crashed or braked too hard and crashed?

Reason why I never lane split. Yes, it's a hassle having to wait along with everyone else, but at least I won't get my head split open.

Judging by the fact you're posting your experience, I'm sure you are ok/almost ok. Glad to hear you're alive.
People say the same **** about motorcycling in general. It's all about doing it responsibly and mitigating the risks. I've easily done a many times more miles than that with plenty of lane splitting in the crazy Bay Area traffic and never crashed. I don't even recall many close calls simply because I ride in a way that leaves enough room to deal with "unexpected" drivers without needing emergency maneuvers.

Hell, I've been lane splitting in my commute almost daily without even a horn or working high beams for 3 or 4 months now and found that I haven't needed them at all to keep me safe. In the few instances where I found myself wanting to use the horn, it would've solely been to make me feel better after the fact and wouldn't have changed the situation because I would have already dealt with it in the way I was riding.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
People say the same **** about motorcycling in general. It's all about doing it responsibly and mitigating the risks. I've easily done a many times more miles than that with plenty of lane splitting in the crazy Bay Area traffic and never crashed. I don't even recall many close calls simply because I ride in a way that leaves enough room to deal with "unexpected" drivers without needing emergency maneuvers.

Hell, I've been lane splitting in my commute almost daily without even a horn or working high beams for 3 or 4 months now and found that I haven't needed them at all to keep me safe. In the few instances where I found myself wanting to use the horn, it would've solely been to make me feel better after the fact and wouldn't have changed the situation because I would have already dealt with it in the way I was riding.
If I'm such as ass, tell me I'm wrong about my assumption. If a car in the way or hard braking was not to blame, then I'm an idiot. If it was, I simply called it.

Thousands lane split without incident. Doesn't mean it's safe. Thousands of people also meet up for screws with complete strangers based off Craigslist ads, too, but that doesn't mean it's safe either.

Old February 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM   #14
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
If I'm such as ass, tell me I'm wrong about my assumption. If a car in the way or hard braking was not to blame, then I'm an idiot. If it was, I simply called it.

Thousands lane split without incident. Doesn't mean it's safe. Thousands of people also meet up for screws with complete strangers based off Craigslist ads, too, but that doesn't mean it's safe either.
I'm saying that riding differently could have prevented it altogether, ie. predicting the possibility of a car pushing into an opening or riding slower so that regular braking would have been enough. Riders already need to be extra vigilant in predicting motorist actions on the road. Lane-splitting just requires an even higher level of vigilance.

Tons of people ride motorcycles without dying and that doesn't make it safe either, yet most stay out of trouble with good riding habits. The same applies to lane-splitting. If it's not for you, that's fine, but there's no need to knock it for those who do lane-split.

Old February 21st, 2014, 03:39 PM   #15
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

has OP taken MSF? they cover 20 to 0 emergency brake situations and test on it too.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:07 PM   #16
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Good to see your analysis and that you were left uninjured.

I thought you would've had a lot more miles within the past 2 years.
Before this 70 mile commute, my commutes were 5 miles round trip. I also have a car that I use about 40% of the time too.

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:11 PM   #17
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe305 View Post
I'm 6 feet 125 pounds (I know super skinny) and I can lift my bike up pretty easily I found that lifting it up with an underhand dead lift technique is easier than the squat technique.
What kind of boots were you wearing? because since my last accident where I broke my ankle I'm looking for boots with the best ankle protection.
I think I was weak since I was so shaken up.

Alpinestars Fastlane Shoes

Love em! Comfortable. Wear them all day, 13+ hours and feel fantastic.

I don't know if they could have protected me in a more major accident, but they definitely helped for this accident.

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:13 PM   #18
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident . For what it's worth, 5k miles in 2 years isn't really that much at all.

You sure it wasn't anybody's fault?

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

I understand the situation, cars turning in the middle of tons of traffic can be VERY hard to see. That said, if you followed the CHP Guidelines for lane splitting, I think this accident would have been avoided. Much easier to emergency brake w/o locking up when you're traveling at 10 mph versus 20
Very good point. 20MPH is a guess based on how far I skid. It was a decent skid distance, at least a car length. I wasn't looking at the speedo though of course.

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:13 PM   #19
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Practice this during your next 5K miles:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114555

It is great that you are well and that the bike is repairable,
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:16 PM   #20
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
glad to hear you're OK.

I see this same thing coming back home during rush hour. If i'm lane splitting in that situation i definitely slow down and also blip my horn a few times to let the driver know i'm coming through and have the right of way.

Had you collided with the infiniti they would be at fault. What he was doing is illegal despite drivers stopping and letting him through for the very reason you nearly hit him. Either peds, bicycle, or a lane splitting cycle could still be coming through.
Had the Infiniti not done that, he would have sat there all morning. The cars were lined up for at least a half mile. But this is good to know. Makes sense.

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:19 PM   #21
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:

Link to original page on YouTube.

I'd rather have control of avoiding hazards in front of me than potentially becoming rear ended while waiting at a signal.

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:22 PM   #22
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
has OP taken MSF? they cover 20 to 0 emergency brake situations and test on it too.
Yes. But just the beginners course. I utilized both brakes during MSF which I didnt do in this real world scenario. Plus I panicked and grabbed that front brake way too hard and fast.

Old February 21st, 2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
You are welcome
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2014, 09:36 PM   #24
80MPHdownhill
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Yes, please.

Quote:

Agreed!

Thousands also ride motorcycles, too, but that doesn't mean it's safe either.

Lane splitting, per se, is not unsafe. Done in a sensible way, there's no doubt it can make motorcycling safer. There's no question about that.

Done incorrectly or irresponsibly, though, yeah, it is unsafe.
80MPHdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:55 AM   #25
rasta
Your face

If people didn't do things because they were unsafe, nobody would skydive, hunt, downhill ski, water ski, start fires, or ride horses. But people do all of those things quite frequently. There are certain things that are inherently dangerous, but they all have specific guidelines in place to minimize the danger.

Here are the Cliff Notes to the CHP Lane Splitting Guidelines:
  1. Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic.
  2. It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster.
  3. Typically, it is safer to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.
  4. Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.
  5. Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

Although tons of accidents occur when motorcyclists lane split, I'd bet the overwhelming majority of them happen because the rider didn't follow one or more of these guidelines.

In this case it seems like the OP followed just 2 of them. IMO, he failed to follow numbers 1, 4, and 5, with the latter 2 being the most critical. OP was splitting through bumper-to-bumper traffic...down a city street. I don't work there, but looking at the map, even I can tell that street probably has tons of potential left turners. Also, if OP would have split at 10 mph, he likely would have been able to brake in time. It takes 36 ft. to stop from a speed of 20 mph, but only 13 ft. to stop from 10 mph.

Hope you didn't find this too harsh @ajcadoo, I just wanted you to keep those guidelines in mind next time you lane split. You're doing yourself a disservice by being so sure nobody was at fault.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:29 AM   #26
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
1)This is where I stopped reading. Let me guess, some guy pulled out in your path and you crashed or braked too hard and crashed?

2)Reason why I never lane split. Yes, it's a hassle having to wait along with everyone else, but at least I won't get my head split open.

1) This is where I shot you down

2) That's where the choice is between will I split & risk running into the back/side of something or will I sit & risk being the meat in a truck sandwich. your call

OP: 5k in 2 years is not a lot of mileage, get some more miles under your belt, adjust your speed to the conditions, practise your hard stops & cover the horn when splitting.

Some proper bike boots (not shoes) would be worth the investment too, you got away lucky with only a skinned ankle if the bike pinned it.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:20 PM   #27
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
If people didn't do things because they were unsafe, nobody would skydive, hunt, downhill ski, water ski, start fires, or ride horses. But people do all of those things quite frequently. There are certain things that are inherently dangerous, but they all have specific guidelines in place to minimize the danger.

Here are the Cliff Notes to the CHP Lane Splitting Guidelines:
  1. Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic.
  2. It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster.
  3. Typically, it is safer to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.
  4. Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.
  5. Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

Although tons of accidents occur when motorcyclists lane split, I'd bet the overwhelming majority of them happen because the rider didn't follow one or more of these guidelines.

In this case it seems like the OP followed just 2 of them. IMO, he failed to follow numbers 1, 4, and 5, with the latter 2 being the most critical. OP was splitting through bumper-to-bumper traffic...down a city street. I don't work there, but looking at the map, even I can tell that street probably has tons of potential left turners. Also, if OP would have split at 10 mph, he likely would have been able to brake in time. It takes 36 ft. to stop from a speed of 20 mph, but only 13 ft. to stop from 10 mph.

Hope you didn't find this too harsh @ajcadoo, I just wanted you to keep those guidelines in mind next time you lane split. You're doing yourself a disservice by being so sure nobody was at fault.
I respect your opinion but the conditions of the situation caused the accident. And with your stat of 36feet to stop at 20MPH, I know I was much slower. I skid about a car length. <15 feet. I was probably around the 15MPH range, still a little fast, I acknowledge, but no where near 20MPH. Again, the 20MPH number was a vague estimate that completely came off the top of my head based on what I assume I usually split at. To be honest, I NEVER look at my speedo when splitting, for obvious reasons.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:23 PM   #28
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
1) This is where I shot you down

2) That's where the choice is between will I split & risk running into the back/side of something or will I sit & risk being the meat in a truck sandwich. your call

OP: 5k in 2 years is not a lot of mileage, get some more miles under your belt, adjust your speed to the conditions, practise your hard stops & cover the horn when splitting.

Some proper bike boots (not shoes) would be worth the investment too, you got away lucky with only a skinned ankle if the bike pinned it.
Is the horn an effective splitting tool? It's not very loud, and usually cagers can't hear it until you are directly next to the driver's window or in front of the car. Plus, my Two Bros exhaust is LOUD. My horn is nearly ineffective with the exhaust.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:57 PM   #29
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Is the horn an effective splitting tool? It's not very loud, and usually cagers can't hear it until you are directly next to the driver's window or in front of the car. Plus, my Two Bros exhaust is LOUD. My horn is nearly ineffective with the exhaust.
Pipe projects most sound backwards, horn projects it forwards.

You've a wall of cars on each side funnelling the pipe's noise backwards & the horn's noise forwards, you are moving forwards so the pipe isn't really heard far ahead.

It's a useful last resort when you're hard on the brakes, the natural reaction is to stop if you're doing something & you get a beep.

That may be the difference between you slamming into it & you braking hard but still going through where that cage would have been.

If some is blaring music they may not hear it, but that's life.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:10 PM   #30
rasta
Your face

Quote:
I respect your opinion but the conditions of the situation caused the accident.
If that makes you feel better, then go ahead and keep believing it

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:49 PM   #31
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
that is not a freeway, should not be lane splitting. too many intersections.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #32
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80MPHdownhill View Post
Agreed!

Thousands also ride motorcycles, too, but that doesn't mean it's safe either.

Lane splitting, per se, is not unsafe. Done in a sensible way, there's no doubt it can make motorcycling safer. There's no question about that.

Done incorrectly or irresponsibly, though, yeah, it is unsafe.
I think this post is the most balanced and sensible so far on the subject.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #33
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Notice: Thread Highjack: I so wish Oregon would get its head out of its and make lane splitting legal.

You may continue. Thank you for your patience.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #34
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

How can I upvote or downvote a post?

0 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #35
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Relevant thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134492
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #36
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Whoever downvoted this post is a bastard.

1 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

First rule about fight club is we never talk about fight club.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #38
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Whoever downvoted this post is a bastard.
lol

You guys suck

1 out of 12 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #39
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

stop it dammit. bastards

1 out of 11 members found this post helpful.