ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old September 27th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #1
racerx29
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Henry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Aprilia Tuono,1978 BMWR80/7,2006 Yamaha WR250F,GSXR750 Race/Track Bike,2006 Ninja250

Hello from dania beach florida

Although I have a small stable of bikes, these bikes are a hoot. But, you all know that.
One gets to ride like the teenagers in Moto 125 and still get to keep our license!
Oh, I'm 59.
It is true, sometimes it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Here is the conundrum.
There is a strange leaking coming from carburetors.
The carbs leak only when the bike is running.
I have:
1) Changed out the fuel tank petcock for new factory part. It was defective.
2) Removed the carbs and inspected the float bowls and gaskets.
The carbs are immaculately clean, the floats move freely and the gaskets, o rings, look good, not compressed or damaged in any way. All the screws are tight.
3) The bike is run and stored on non ethanol fuel.
4) The bike starts right up and runs, but has the leak. No place to mount a fire extinguisher, so she is in the paddock.

Any insight would be most welcome, as I wrench on all my bikes and on principle, won't give up.

Thank you all in advance.

Great forum and hello to all!
racerx29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Welcome, Henry! As you know, lots of good info and interesting folks on this forum.

Have you pulled faring pieces off the bike, carefully blown the carbs off with compressed air (or otherwise cleaned them), and looked for what part of the carb(s) the gas is coming from when the bike is running? Do you know if it is one or both carbs?

Can you get it (them) to leak when the bike is shut off and while applying a vacuum to the petcock vacuum line? If you try that, you'll be able to look for the leak in "real time" from the comfort of your driveway and with a flashlight and mirror (and the bike not running).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #3
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome.

Old September 27th, 2015, 11:43 AM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
The carbs leak only when the bike is running.
Are you absolutely sure this statement is 100% correct?

Or... is it true that the leaking, once started (which in this case would probably be the moment that engine vacuum opens the petcock, allowing fuel flow to be supplied from the tank), continues for some time after engine shutdown, until the fuel in the line from the petcock is leaked away?

Because you say that the bike "starts right up and runs" I'm betting your leak is not in the area of the carburetor bowls. The bike wouldn't immediately start right up and run if it first had to either partially or completely re-fill a leaky float bowl.

Just working with the information in your description of the problem I think your leak is somewhere in the supply, from the petcock or the line into the carbs or the supply inlet on the carbs.

Regarding Dania Beach: I like that area. I've recently had a couple of overnights there at the Sheraton Hotel on Griffin Road (my airline recently changed our overnight hotel to that location). At first I was pissed because we used to stay near the big tourist beaches, but then I discovered that this Sheraton was only 3 miles from Dania Beach. I'm a runner so I've been running from the hotel to the beach to hang out for a while then run back to the hotel. Good times.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Henry!

I was just in Dania Beach just this mid summer. We enjoyed our stay, I hopy you enjoy your stay here.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
hi

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #7
racerx29
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Henry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Aprilia Tuono,1978 BMWR80/7,2006 Yamaha WR250F,GSXR750 Race/Track Bike,2006 Ninja250

Hello folks,
Thank you all for the quick reply. Let me try to be a bit more clear.
1) The bike which had 127 miles when I purchased it, was ridden daily as a commuter.
2) Bike now has 427 miles and because summer is too hot to ride, ( I wear gear) the bike has been parked, neighborhood ridden every two weeks.
3) Fuel is non ethanol.
4) Petcock is closed and bike is ridden around to help drain the carbs, before storing.
Upon one of the routine neighborhood rides, the leaking started.
5) After reading about the symptoms and speaking with a local shop, I replaced the fuel tank petcock assembly with a new factory unit.
It was explained to me that the fuel tank petcock should only deliver fuel if the engine was running and hence a vacuum. I tested this theory and it was delivering fuel with engine off.
Before I was even aware of this possibility, I removed the carburetors, assuming that a gasket had gone bad. I also took the carbs to the local shop and they agreed that they are immaculately clean, floats articulate freely and there is no grunge, varnish or other anomalies present. Remember, the bike was frequently run and ran great, no fuel dribbles, hesitation or hard starting.
This suddenly occurred one day when starting her up for a routine ride.
There wee no adjustments or alterations done to the carbs when removed to be inspected.
Based on posts here, I was looking for sticking floats, which I do not have, or obvious gasket issues. Nothing was tinkered with.
I appreciate the quick replies and hope that this provides a bit more information to help discover the cause. You folks are great and forums like this are invaluable to the, "do it ourselves type"
Thank you!!
racerx29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #8
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

If your bike is supplying gas when the engine is off then you need to change the oil after you've solved the issue, it very well could've dumped into the cylinder and got in your oil. Also, to verify that the bike supplies gas when the engine is off, you have to remove the fuel line from the petcock and set it to reserve, if gas flows, you have an issue. My bike did the very same when i received it, i took the petcock apart, cleaned it very well, and reassembled and now is brand new again. Update us with the fuel flow test.

Old September 28th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome !!!
The valves of the floats may leak only when the engine is running due to the vibrations.
The Neoprene element that seals against the valve's seat becomes hard with time.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #10
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #11
Christina76
ninjette.org member

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): R1, R6, SV1000, SV650, ZX7R

....hello, from Sarasota! I love that beach life!

Old November 7th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #12
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Oh i almost forgot, Welcome!!