ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #1
james250ninja
james250ninjette.newbie

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): 1986 ninja 250

Smile ninja 250 any respect

hi there i just bought a 2011 ninja 250, why is tht peopl with bigger bikes, not all but some do not like the 250. alot of people say they are not sports bike, ive owned so many 600cc bike that i have more fun on a 250r keep going back to a 250 .

just wondering
james250ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #2
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Who cares. Enjoy your motorcycle.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Personally, I think most people that say negative things about the 250 have never been on it.

Lately, I haven't had any negative comments. I actually over HEAR people say "see, that's a nice bike" when I zip through the strip at the beach.

People's ego just get the best of them.

This may be off topic, but it'd be a good read. Just yesterday, I went to a local group ride. Some guy, full leathers 1-piece suit rolls up in a Ducati. Young guy. I assumed he was somewhat experienced since he was on a Duc (but I knew some just pose) and full leathers.

At the parking spot, he almost tipped his bike into someone's Busa (older fellow, knew his ****. He bought his first litre bike in 1980).

While we were out riding, easy corner (at least for me and the Ninja ), he goes onto oncoming traffic. He brakes and stops 1 1/2 feet away from ANOTHER car. If he didn't brake in time and the car, he would've been smoked.

I had to ride the **** away from him.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68799
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
Personally, I think most people that say negative things about the 250 have never been on it.
Either that or they don't know what it is capable of.
I think the only thing it can't do is power up like the larger bikes.
I can still stand it up though Good enough for stunts, good enough for me.
Larger bikes are a bit funner though.

I always get people who don't know anything about bikes complimenting my bent up ninja. lol
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Small penasia!

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I haven't really done a lot of braking->cornering stuff, but I could imagine the 250r being a lot more fun just because it's not just "stay in 2nd gear, brake, corner."

With our bikes, I've noticed I got to brake and shift down TWO gears. I bet in larger cc bikes, they don't even have to shift down, all they gotta do is brake.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I ride with a bunch of track whores. They give me mass respect for my set of 2fiddys and we ride every Sunday. Heck, a few wanted to buy one to race. I find the people who "know" will not bust your chops for learning or riding a 250 hard in the twisties. Heck when your good enough, you can pass em on their big bad 600+ bikes. There will always be arrogant peeps out there, I just choose to keep my distance from them as it's not the attitude I want to be associated with.

Find some "talented" riders to ride with, practice hard, do a track day or so and they will not be giving you crap for long. You may even hear "You sure can ride that little thing, those were some sweet passes on those corners" or "You were on my a** ever since turn 1."

Best of luck to you and ride safe!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #8
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I don't care what people that I don't know, say. The people I ride with poke some fun and giggle, but they're just havin' fun. They usually wait for me to catch up so I'm either real cool to ride with... or real funny to watch

Old August 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Red face

Eh, it's not a size thing, really. When's the last time you saw someone on a ZX-10 talk respectfully about a Harley-Davidson?

When's the last time you saw a guy on a Harley talk respectfully about a Vulcan Cruiser?

When have you ever heard anyone say something nice about a DN01, or Fury, or Spyder?

Motorcyclist are very cliquey. There's really only one motorcycle brand that's respected by everyone. It's really weird, and I never expected it, but when I bought one, suddenly everyone from big dog chopper riders to R1 riders to KLR riders were admiring my bike.

Old August 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #10
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
and I never expected it, but when I bought one, suddenly everyone from big dog chopper riders to R1 riders to KLR riders were admiring my bike.
you mean you don't get chicks with your dirt ninja?

Old August 14th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
you mean you don't get chicks with your dirt ninja?
Oh....you don't know the story????

I'm gonna have to post that one!

Old August 14th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #12
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

hmm That's weird I got lots of compliments on my 2fiddy some people don't even know that it's a 2fiddy, I guess most of the people who bash on it are mostly squid.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #13
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by james250ninja View Post
hi there i just bought a 2011 ninja 250, why is tht peopl with bigger bikes, not all but some do not like the 250. alot of people say they are not sports bike, ive owned so many 600cc bike that i have more fun on a 250r keep going back to a 250 .

just wondering
I have had guys with the bigger sport bikes call my 250 a "scooter". I'm thinking they are all idiots. Cruiser guys, I just dust them at a light and that's usually the end of them.

Old August 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #14
r311music
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I have had guys with the bigger sport bikes call my 250 a "scooter". I'm thinking they are all idiots. Cruiser guys, I just dust them at a light and that's usually the end of them.
I get the same scooter comment with the guys I work with. They all ride GSXR's and fit the squid profile. I just remember why I got a bike, to enjoy the ride, not look "cool."
r311music is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
Small penasia!
Hell yea Louis C.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r311music View Post
I get the same scooter comment with the guys I work with. They all ride GSXR's and fit the squid profile. I just remember why I got a bike, to enjoy the ride, not look "cool."
....but you do look "cool" on a ninjette.....
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #16
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren13 View Post
I guess most people will always think bigger is better, except those that know bikes will know what 125cc and 250cc bikes are capable of in the right hands.
I think the bigger is better mentality is mostly an American phenomenon, I could be wrong though obviously since I've never lived anywhere else.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #17
TS250
ninjette.org member

Name: MARCO

Motorcycle(s): 2008 NINJA 250, BLACK, 650 NINJA 2009, RED, F 650GS BMW 2012 YELLOW

Respect

I can tell you that I got the 250 just for the looks of it. I saw a picture on line and went to the dealer and paid for it without ever seen one in person, you know what I mean. It is the smallest bike I have ever had. Even when I picked it up I said to myself " It's so small" , man the fun has not stopped!!! People are always telling me how pretty it is, bikers guys ask how it handles, not how fast it goes, I have to other bikes bigger and newer, but my 250 turns more heads, so I ride it a lot. My 250 was, I was told by the dealer, the last bike to be delivered to an american costumer that first year, 2008. I ride this bike to work every day I feel like Valentino Rossi. I hope you enjoy your as much.
TS250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

If someone doesn't like your bike...... that's their problem. Don't even think about it anymore.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #19
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
Ducatis are probably the one brand every motorcycle rider can hate on.

Never got anything but respect.

Then again, I don't hang out with snobs, so that may have had something to do with it!

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #20
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Excerpt from a 600cc motorcyclist's journal.....

8am. Went to the meeting place to go for a ride in the twisties. Can you believe it, some guy showed up on one of those little girls bikes. It only had a 250cc engine. This sucks, cause you know we will be having to stop every mile to wait for him to catch up. Told him he should go get a real bike before he comes to ride with us. Get this, he's wearing full leathers, and has scuff marks on his knees...yeah right, he must have done it with sandpaper, cause theres no way that kiddie bike would be able to take a corner well enough to scuff his knees. What a poser.

9am -Just as i suspected, the 250 guy is in the back as we leave the parking lot...guess we will see him in about 2 hrs after we get to the end.
9:30- I just cooked that last curve, and had to let off...got passed, but didnt see who it was, must have been a literbike, cause he was moving.
9:45- I dont see the 250 behind me anymore, i guess we left him and he went home. He should have bought a real bike.
10:00- lol, the 250 is in front of me, he must have taken a shortcut or something...im gonna pass him in this straight and show him what a real bike can do.
10:15- hahahaha...left 250 guy behind me on that last straight, now back into the twisties, finally at the really curvy part...time to scrap some pegs.
10:20- WTF was that...
10:30- some guy passed me, and he was flying...been trying to catch up for 10 min now, and i cant get close to him.
11:00- i think my tires are going, cause im getting loose, and this guy in front of me is scraping pegs. I need to find out what kind of tires he has.

11:30- whoever it was, is gone. I cant catch him. Oh well, i guess ill find out who it was when we stop. Almost to the end...

12:00- got to the end...guess who was there, 250 guy. He told me I did a pretty good job keeping up, but he finally got tired of waiting for me to catch up in the corners, and took off. Im like..yeah right, you took a shortcut or something.

12:30- everyone keeps laughing at me, this aint fair. Something is wrong with my bike, i told them all my tires felt like they were going. This smartarse 250 guy keeps telling me to get Dunlop GT-501 130/70-17, and the other guys keep laughing. I dont know what the heck he is talking about...
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
one time i got held up by a busa and a benelli cafe-racer in the twisties. we stopped to chat (i mainly just wanted to look at the benelli) and i think their egos were hurt when they realized they were apologizing to a 250cc.

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #22
n4mwd

Every time I have let a cruiser rider on my bike he has come away with a lot more respect for it. Bigger sport bike riders are a tougher nut to crack. A friend of mine ditched his cruiser and bought a Ninja 250. Another one has a Vulcan 900 and I'm working on him. When he was complaining that his Vulcan didn't have enough power and needed a 6th gear, I said, "Um you know what..." So some day soon, there will be a Ninja in his garage too.

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #23
ae86
AE86

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Just ride a 250 Kawasaki!
ae86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #24
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

My favorites are the idiots around here (Pittsburgh) that cruise the streets, drifting in neutral and slamming their throttles on R1s and Gixxer1ks.

I've literally heard guys like that mocking R6's, zx-6R's, and really any sportsbike under 1000cc.

Not to mention the deep hate for all of the top standards like Ducati Monsters, Speed Triples, and Superdukes. I'll never understand that.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #25
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

i beat a R1 in the twisties and even in a straightline on the express way. the r1 was a friend of a friend's. i guess the guy wanted to get a 1000, so he can be cool. after three seasons of riding, he still doesn't know how to handle his bike.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #26
Vegedurden
ninjette.org member

Name: Vege

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
I think the bigger is better mentality is mostly an American phenomenon, I could be wrong though obviously since I've never lived anywhere else.
I'm in Belgium and lots of people underestimate the 250r here too.

I was talking to a guy with 30 years of riding experience on Saturday, and at one point he told me "If we had discussed before, I would have recommended you not to get a 250." I just replied I had over 5000 km on it and was pretty happy with it so far.

Everyone agrees that it looks good, though.
Vegedurden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #27
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I ride a ZX-6R on the street, but I race a 250R. I am one of the few people that will not talk **** when I see someone on a 250. I am glad to see people starting out on a small bike and learning the right way. This will create more skilled and respectful riders down the road.

Old August 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #28
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Again, 'Who Cares" is the best answer. I ride with friends that are fairly agressive street riders on high performance bikes. It's not uncommon for me to lead the ride as I know the roads. I've never had a complaint that I was too slow.
Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #29
james250ninja
james250ninjette.newbie

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): 1986 ninja 250

Smile respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill N View Post
Again, 'Who Cares" is the best answer. I ride with friends that are fairly agressive street riders on high performance bikes. It's not uncommon for me to lead the ride as I know the roads. I've never had a complaint that I was too slow.
Bill
hi there i read all your stories thank you for the support and uplifitng been riding my new 250r and having so much fun...eveyone ride safe

ANYONE IN SOUTH JERSEY 08109 HOOK UP LIKE TO GO RIDING WITH SOMEONE..
james250ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #30
aznboi250r
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Kawasaki Ninja 250r

you just do you man! It depends on the riders outlook on riding each to their own.
aznboi250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #31
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Wink

Obviously I'm a huge advocate of the Ninja 250, but I've gotta admit I still think you guys are giving out little bike a bit too much credit.

I was doing a track day at VIR a few years ago on the Ninja 250, and I easily tore past an R6 on the main straightaway. Yeah, I was wringing the 250 out for all it was worth....

but overtaking that bike doesn't say a darn thing about the capabilities of the Ninja. It doesn't say anything about my abilities as a rider either.

Some of these posts seem to indicate that the 250 will keep up with a GSXR or CBR1000. No, they can't--let's be realistic. I've had 2 Ninja 250s, a CBR600, and a Ducati Supersport 800. I know I'm faster on the other bikes.

Saying a good rider on a 250 is faster than someone who can't ride on a literbike does not say anything about the bikes.

So let's just stick to the FACTS:
- The Ninja 250 is more fun than larger bikes
- People who own 250s are better riders than everyone else
- Males who own 250s have larger penises and less to prove than everyone else.

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #32
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
- Males who own 250s have larger penises
very factual.

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
- The Ninja 250 is more fun than larger bikes
- People who own 250s are better riders than everyone else

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #34
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Skippii, you want some 250 respekt?! now's the time to drop your dirt ninja videos.

nasty boy

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #35
n4mwd

Quote:
How could you possibly know that? Have you been hacking into my special folder?

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #36
r311music
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX6R

Apparently I work with a lot of less endowed males, I have been made fun of everyday since I got my bike Friday for getting a "little" 250. One guy suggesting I should get a basket to put on the front hahaha. It's cool though, I just go along with it as I have one of the best bikes for new riders. Squids will be squids, nothing we can do will change that!
r311music is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #37
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
How could you possibly know that? Have you been hacking into my special folder?
Your dealer didn't ask you to pull down your pants? Or was that just me? Crap, gotta go file a complaint...
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #38
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Im getting dizzy cause of all the gayness in here.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #39
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
Ducatis are probably the one brand every motorcycle rider can hate on.
Oops.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #40
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Im getting turned on cause of all the gayness in here.
Fixed for ya
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote