Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Closed Thread

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Raven
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX6R

Issues with dad and 6R...

So my parents kicked me out because they are tired of me riding my ZX6R, with two accidents that injured me. But I refuse to give up riding since I must have sportbikes til I die. The latest accident left me 1,500 dollars worth of damage that I take it for granted. (frame slider did its job!)

Now the issue is, that my dad decided to lock up my ZX6R til its paid for. Because he was the cosigner of my Kawasaki account. But he has never paid a dime, and I have been responible for the account 3 years straight with no missed payment. Dad say I will never get it back until it's paid for which is an asshole move on his part.

So I wonder if I can get police involved in this and take back my 6R when I head out 200 miles away from my hometown because I do not want to pay dues for something that I can't have for a while. And also it was registered under my name as well when I picked it off the showroom myself.

Any thoughts?

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
So my parents kicked me out because they are tired of me riding my ZX6R, with two accidents that injured me. But I refuse to give up riding since I must have sportbikes til I die. The latest accident left me 1,500 dollars worth of damage that I take it for granted. (frame slider did its job!)

Now the issue is, that my dad decided to lock up my ZX6R til its paid for. Because he was the cosigner of my Kawasaki account. But he has never paid a dime, and I have been responible for the account 3 years straight with no missed payment. Dad say I will never get it back until it's paid for which is an asshole move on his part.

So I wonder if I can get police involved in this and take back my 6R when I head out 200 miles away from my hometown because I do not want to pay dues for something that I can't have for a while. And also it was registered under my name as well when I picked it off the showroom myself.

Any thoughts?
Here's my thought: learn your lesson, stick with driving.

If you survive long enough in a car to be able to purchase a bike in cash and afford your own insurance policy, by then you may be mature enough to realize that money don't come easy.

I didn't get my first motorcycle until I was 24, paid for it with my hard earned cash, so I don't wreck it and have to fix it up with more hard earned cash.

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I also didn't get my first bike till I was 24....were you being stupid when you crashed twice(i.e. it was your fault)?

Like mentioned above its a civil matter

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:13 PM   #4
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Legally while the vehicle is still financed, the co-signer has NO legal ownership of the vehicle, and cannot legally take possession of the vehicle provided that their name is NOT on the title of the vehicle.

The title of the vehicle determines legal ownership...not the bank note.

My suggestion, check the title. If its in your name, advise your dad he has 30 days to return the vehicle in writing. Keep a copy. If he refuses, report it stolen, and advise the police of the location of the vehicle.

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I say break in and steal it!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
how old are you?

also what were the circumstances of the crashes?

Old July 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #7
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Legally while the vehicle is still financed, the co-signer has NO legal ownership of the vehicle, and cannot legally take possession of the vehicle provided that their name is NOT on the title of the vehicle.

If the loan is not satisfied, there is no title for the vehicle.
The bank owns the bike until the loan is satisfied.
If the loan goes into default, not only blemish the OP's credit history, likely the father's, too.

Quote:
My suggestion, check the title. If its in your name, advise your dad he has 30 days to return the vehicle in writing. Keep a copy. If he refuses, report it stolen, and advise the police of the location of the vehicle.
That's probably one of the worst thing you can do to the father/son relationship.. If OP is over 18, his father can kick him out of the house and onto the curb, without a place to live, OP's bike is not the first thing he should worry about.

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM   #8
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Got my bike at 23. anyway if you crash twice then there must be something wrong. maybe they're just concern. but good luck

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM   #9
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Are you over or under 18?

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I find it odd that his dad cosigned the credit and doesnt want him to ride the bike. ?
AFM #676

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
u must have spot read OP
No I read it but why would he cosign on something that he is clearly so against.

Yes I know it happened after he crashed, my statement still stands
AFM #676

Old July 21st, 2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Yeah. If I was a father and my son crashed once id be iffy on letting him get back on, but twice, id be too scared. Parents care more then u think ever when u think they're being an ass. I know if I crashed just once it'd be near impossible to convince my parents to let me get back on. Perhaps. He is doing it to teach u a lession. Pay it off asap putting in more then u have to for payments. It may be his way of giving u more time to think about what's going wrong (assuming the crashes are partly ur fault in any way) and giving him peace in mind that his son is safe for he time being. maybe after things cool down he will change his mind. But getting police into this is the wrong way to go.

Old July 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Sounds your parents are genuinely concerned for their son's safety and with given cause. The ride till I die attitude probably gives dad more reason to lock up the bike and throw away the key. Sure, frame sliders are great... for protecting the bike but the parents are obviously not concerned about that. A bike surviving a crash with minimal damage gives little solace if your parents are getting calls to come to the hospital.

Perhaps a little time away from the bike may not be a bad idea and best for both parties here. There's more to life than just motorcycles and there will be plenty of more opportunities to keep riding if you play it right. I'd hate to hear that something like this is what causes a son to become estranged from his parents. It's obviously already reached a point where they have had to resort to extreme measures. Best of luck OP and be safe.

Old July 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM   #14
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Their house, their rules. Move out. Grow up a bit. Return when you're more mature to pick up your bike. You catch more flies with honey. Rather than try to take your bike back by legal means, get yourself set up as a real man and show how responsible you can be. Show how you can be a safe and mature rider. Maybe then your parents will come around.

I've crashed about 3 times. Once in my street, once at speed on a twisty road, and once on a side road just off the Blue Ridge Parkway when I used the front brake going into a huge patch of gravel that I didn't see (i.e. had I seen it, would've been fine because i wouldn't have touched the front brake.)

I've also crashed about 3 times at the track, but not on my 250. One of those was pretty bad, totalling my helmet and requiring a checkup at the ER. Thankfully, in all of my crashes, I walked away uninjured. My bike may look worse for the wear, but otherwise fine. Insurance doesn't know about any of it. Parents know about every single one, and so does my girlfriend.

They were understandably upset and worried, but when they saw that I was a) fine and b) able to coherently explain what happened and what I did wrong. I learned from each one and became a stronger rider. My parents and girlfriend saw my mature reaction and accepted my decision to continue riding.

Old July 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM   #15
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
You better hope your dad doesnt read this thread, he might tear a switch off the tree and give you a whooping son... LOL

Damn, your dad went and cut the willow branch?? YOUR LUCKY
When my neighbors dad whipped us, we had to cut our own.

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
First off, I am going to assume your are new and young.

+1 on the setting yourself up as a self sustaining individual.

Take this time to reflect on what you did wrong and sign up for the MSF if you haven't and make sure you have ALL your gear. Nothing says "I care about myself and others" like ATGATT and continued education. Reinforce the basics and show your loved ones you are a growing adult capable of adult reasoning.

You know.... there are other things in life that involves 2 wheels in the mean time. Dirt is hella fun and provides a great break from the streets. If your bent on riding (and 18 or older), simply buy another bike and ride on. Your life, your choices, but recognize there will be times where you need the help of family and friends. Do NOT burn bridges.

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM   #17
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Did we scare Raven off? He hasnt posted since the OP.

In anycase, you ask us what you should do and it seems that the concensus is, driving is a priviledge and so is riding.

Defend yourself on the accidents or else we'll be more inclined to believe that a break from riding is necessary. Everybody here doesnt want to see anybody get hurt.

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:48 PM   #18
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Many people here made a fair point, which I completely support.

These are your parents you are talking about, not some street punks. Even thinking about involving the police is totally crazy.
There is definitely a way to settle your argument in a friendly tone, just wait for a few days till both heads cool down and talk to you father again. Listen to his reasons, and present your own reasons, and you will reach some sort of compromise. He did not lock up your bike because of some paper or signature, he did it because he is worried about you.

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:48 PM   #19
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

You still haven’t answered the question of how old you are.
Other things to consider parents don’t like to see their kids killed or injured so in their way they are trying to protect you, from yourself. Two accidents in a short time would indicate that you are not responsible on the road, in their opinion and until you can prove otherwise there will be a conflict.
Leave home if you think you should but stay in contact with your family. I don’t agree with what they have done but as a parent I can see why.
Go and reason with them in a calm way and you might get what you want.

Steve

Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:27 AM   #20
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I say break in and steal it!
^^^^^
this

Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:52 AM   #21
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

If you want it that bad then go get a loan in your name only and pay off the kawi loan with your father on it. Bad credit/no credit? Sucks for you. You also have to worry about where you're living and insurance and everything else if you do decide to be a dick to your parents. I say if you can't handle that let the bike sit.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:59 AM   #22
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM   #23
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Dude, if I asked my parents if I could get a street bike they would totally say "NO WAY, you wrecked your dirt bike and spent time in the hopital...TWICE!"

That's why I did not ask them....but I am also 40 so who cares what the old man says.

Good luck and like everyone else has said; try not to burn your bridges.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:

Have you never financed a vehicle? The bank owns it 100% until you pay them off. And every person who signed for the loan is responsible for that loan. Dad cosigned, so he is just as responsible for the debt as his son, and has equal right to the property.

To the OP, who I assume has been scard off becuase almost noone is tkaing his side, grow up a bit. If you couldn't get a loan on your own for the bike, AND you're living with your parents still, AND you've already crashed twice, you got a long way to go before you have a leg to stand on.

So what if your dad hasn't made a single payment on the bike. Do you pay him rent?

Old July 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM   #25
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Here's an idea...pay off your bike...sell it...and go buy a used bike under your name.

Hopefully around that time you'll buy a smaller bike but something tells me you won't.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:45 AM   #26
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
guess dad took the internets too
Like I said. Scared him away. Oh wells. I think this topic is done anyways.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:09 PM   #27
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
being grounded sucks so much...

"I hate you I wish you were never my dad"

"I can't wait till I grow up so I can leave and do what I want"

lol

#KCCO

Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:05 PM   #28
Merc250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Murad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Yamaha FZ6R

real talk you're a moron, not also does he care for you and try to teach you responsibility, and he also cosigned for you

Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM   #29
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
^

Or maybe he jail broke the bike and now he's riding like he stole it, because technically he did.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:02 AM   #30
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:

Any thoughts?
You are totally under-qualified for a ZX-6R, actually also under-qualified for being a full grown man, and to poop on the person responsible for your acquisition in the first place (BEFORE TWO ACCIDENTS) is selfish and irresponsible. Walk a mile in your parents shoes, wondering if /when their son is going to die playing Isle of Mann. As a loving parent I'd lock it up and sell it and then use the money to pay off the debt, send you to msf and msf advance (and then a track school if affordable).
My grown son is riding now after learning in sand and red clay on a 85cc2, and now on a 250cc4, mostly with me but he's quickly becoming "unto himself."

Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #31
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Here's a thought. Go apologize to your parents for being such in immature child that you can't understand that the ZX-6r is too much bike for you right now. You crashed twice, with injuries? And you live with your parents?

Really, call them and apologize. Then, for your own sake, sell the bike. Even if you take a loss, sell it. Don't be an idiot statistic, "sportbikes til I die," are you mentally challenged? Even an idiot can realize that if you're dead, you're done riding, right? Life isn't a race, you don't get a trophy for finishing it first amongst your peers.

Go buy something a bit tamer, then ride it that way. If you can't control yourself to the point where you're getting thrown out of where you live and going to war over it with your parents, you have lost your sense of proportion. I'm not hating on you. I'm not trying to talk down to you. I'm not saying you can't enjoy yourself. I am saying you have a serious problem, and your parents actually care enough to do their jobs as responsible adults.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:04 PM   #32
caps
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
Here's a thought. Go apologize to your parents for being such in immature child that you can't understand that the ZX-6r is too much bike for you right now. You crashed twice, with injuries? And you live with your parents?

Really, call them and apologize. Then, for your own sake, sell the bike. Even if you take a loss, sell it. Don't be an idiot statistic, "sportbikes til I die," are you mentally challenged? Even an idiot can realize that if you're dead, you're done riding, right? Life isn't a race, you don't get a trophy for finishing it first amongst your peers.

Go buy something a bit tamer, then ride it that way. If you can't control yourself to the point where you're getting thrown out of where you live and going to war over it with your parents, you have lost your sense of proportion. I'm not hating on you. I'm not trying to talk down to you. I'm not saying you can't enjoy yourself. I am saying you have a serious problem, and your parents actually care enough to do their jobs as responsible adults.
I hope OP finds a way to read this.

Old August 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #33
caps
Sexy Beast

So... Since OP is back on the forums...

What happened?

Old August 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #34
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

This post has stolen 5 minutes out of my life.

Old August 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #35
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

On the title....it lists both the lien holder, and the purchaser/s.....

Old August 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #36
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Two accidents that injured me.

I must have sportbikes til I die.

Any thoughts?
Yeah: Shouldn't take very long.

Old August 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #37
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I just skimmed through the responses and I hate to repeat what they've said, but I'll say what I planned on saying after I read your bike.

You should sell the bike, bro. I'm going to assume you're still young since you live with your parents (I'm 23, and I still do, so age/living with parents doesn't really have any correlation) and you couldn't pay for your own bike.

Take a break and mature a bit. Were these crashes single vehicles? Were you on the twisties and you went in too hot? Wheelies?

Also, like he said, go apologize to your parents. I'd tell them you've realized you're not mature enough yet for a bike (only say this if you actually mean it).

Old August 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #38
Raven
ninjette.org member

I forgot about this thread. But jesus christ, you people are pathetic 250ers getting up in the ass over something that had nothing to do with all of your people's lives. You guys are bunch of real cry babies. It's my injuries, my problems, and my life. Not your to talk **** about it. This thread blew my mind out of sheer stupidity. Im pretty sure theres people on this forums that had more injuries than I did with motocycles, and probably worse. So there's no need to be huge hypocrites over this. Wow...just wow, I lost respect for this forum now.

I'm 23 years old, and I picked this bike myself. I was going to move out with no issues til dad decided to lock it up when I was getting ready to load in my truck. But 3 days later, they told me to come back and that they were sorry to kick me out. I have problems with finding job as I am deaf so I get limited income for now, which is why I am making payments. I crashed because I pushed it too hard on first crash, which I took the risks before. Second was unexpected as I hammered the clutch by accident while its in 1st gear when I thought it was 2nd gear so I flipped myself upside down in the air. Dad just thinks he can do that cause he co signed for me years ago when I bought my 250R...yes I used to own a small bike, so don't tell what I should get.

Plus racing/hardcore track days is in my future, as soon as I get my **** sorted out and get my truck's clutch repaired. So suck it up about what you fools think I should do with motorcycles.

Old August 14th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #39
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Any thoughts?

Quote:
It's my injuries, my problems, and my life. Not your to talk **** about it.
Quote:
don't tell me what I should get
I apologize. When you asked us for our opinions, I hadn't realized you meant you only wanted opinions that you agreed with.

Old August 14th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #40
Raven
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I apologize. When you asked us for our opinions, I hadn't realized you meant you only wanted opinions that you agreed with.
Im asking for LAW opinions. Not ****ing life opinions.

Closed Thread