ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Bike won't start after crash???

So I crashed my bike on New Years Eve... But this isn't the crash thread. I need help getting my bike running again. I will talk about the crash if I ever get my bike working again. I am too depressed to talk about it. Haha.

The bike was sideways on the ground for quite some time after I crashed. But It did start up twice and a friend rode it around a parking lot to make sure it would get me home. He turned it off. Then I hoped on and started it. It ran for a second or two then died. I tried to start it again but nothing. The starter button didn't do anything now. No noise. I press it and nothing happens. So What is going on here? Hopefully just fouled up spark plugs. Maybe. Help guys!

I ended up hauling off the bike in the back of my brothers truck. And I am fine. My gear did its job!

I need to buy a triple tree or just the fork tubes, left rearset, left handlebar, front fender, gauge cluster, headlight, and new helmet. I am just gonna street fighter my ninja. I am poor.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well, sorry to hear about your get off but start simple. Battery, connections to battery, power to components, starter, lights and so on.

Chin up yo! It happens to the best of them.

Glad your not hurt, take your time and best of luck fixing everything.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

All the other electrical things work. Just not the starter switch. I'll go over everything again tomorrow in the daylight to make sure I am not missing any of the simple things.

Thanks for the support!

Old January 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Check all of the safety switches (kill switch, clutch switch, sidestand switch, neutral switch). If the bike is completely dead when it wasn't just prior, it likely points to something electrical.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Jono

I checked all the safety switches but no luck. The kickstand plug has some dirt near the wires but that shouldn't cause the bike not to start. I have the bike in neutral. Like I said. The horn and all the lights work but the starter button just doesn't do anything. I just took apart the right hand controls to clean any debris inside there they may have being causing the button not to work. And no luck with that either.

I should mention that after I couldn't start it on the day off the accident we tried to push start the bike but it wouldn't start that way either. We tried many times. And had a good hill to catch a lot of speed. The engine never kicked over. But like I said earlier, minutes earlier the bike started by itself. I just don't get it.

Do y'all think I need a new solenoid since there is no click sound when I press the starter button. I think it would just be weird timing for it to go out then. I guess I'll check the fuses tomorrow to rule that out.

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
does your brake light come on when you push the front brake?

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Check the contacts for the starter switch. It's possible dirt got dislodged and stuck between the contacts. Happened on my bike, except to the horn.

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
does your brake light come on when you push the front brake?
Yes.

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Check the contacts for the starter switch. It's possible dirt got dislodged and stuck between the contacts. Happened on my bike, except to the horn.
I checked that already. I may buy one of those cans of compressed air to spray around the switch. Maybe there is dirt hidden in there somewhere.

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
did you check the 30 amp starter relay fuse? it doesnt make a click sound when you push the button right? do you have it neutal? try push starting it

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #11
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I highly doubt it the fuses and what not. Drain the bowl, pull the carbs and clean it thoroughly. Oil may have sipped in or something got clogged. When you put it back together it's gonna take a few tries to get it started again--no gas in lines--so be patient.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
The starter button didn't do anything now. No noise. I press it and nothing happens. So What is going on here?
@Nemesis

Old January 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:

for reading every post word for word.

I got ADD...if you can't convey your issues/thoughts in two sentences you're SOL w/me. Probably why I'm single.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #14
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I should mention that after I couldn't start it on the day off the accident we tried to push start the bike but it wouldn't start that way either. We tried many times. And had a good hill to catch a lot of speed. The engine never kicked over. But like I said earlier, minutes earlier the bike started by itself. I just don't get it.

Do y'all think I need a new solenoid since there is no click sound when I press the starter button. I think it would just be weird timing for it to go out then. I guess I'll check the fuses tomorrow to rule that out.
oh didnt see this for some reason... i guess i need to learn from @Nemesis

check your fuses first. its probably a good idea since its been crashed to take all the body work off and check everything out. you be able to check all the connections at the same time. if you dont hear a click, that means the starter relay isnt being activated, or is not moving the throw. its possible the fall knocked something loose or damaged it. you can try testing it with an ohm meter on the coil first then put a 12volt battery on the coil and see if it fires. if not its dead or you have the connections the wrong way. if it does click, use the ohm meter to check the connections. it should show connectivity. if the relay is fine, check the voltage coming out of the bike where it was supposed to go to the relay. if no voltage, or low/inconsistent voltage, then check the wiring going to the button by taking the controls apart and testing between the control side of the wire and the relay side with a connectivity test. if the wires are good check the switch. you should know what the problem is after all that

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

I'm willing to bet a beer bottle it ain't the fuses.

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Was there any liquid on the ground where the bike was laying? If part or all of the electrolyte drained out of the battery, it may no longer be making enough power to crank the engine.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Was there any liquid on the ground where the bike was laying? If part or all of the electrolyte drained out of the battery, it may no longer be making enough power to crank the engine.
if it has enough to power the lights it shoould have enoough to activate a relay. he should be hearing a click at least...

Old January 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
if it has enough to power the lights it shoould have enoough to activate a relay. he should be hearing a click at least...
Not always true.

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Jono

Okay so I check all the fuses and they are all good. I then took apart the starter button to check and see if voltage was making it there. And no. There was no power going to the button. I then checkerd the battery and it is good. 14.27 volts.

So I am still lost. But the good news: I only need the left side front fork. It was slightly bent. The right side is straight.

Here is a silly question but at this point I am getting desperate to get my bike running again. Does the gauge cluster need to be plugged in to start the bike? Because mine was destroyed when I crashed, and I took it off and unplugged it.

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #20
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Can you plug it back in without completely re-installing it? I can't imagine it would take power away from the start button, but stranger things have happened.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #21
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Can you plug it back in without completely re-installing it? I can't imagine it would take power away from the start button, but stranger things have happened.
Not really. I am missing parts of it. So I would have to buy a used one off ebay. And I am not going to start buying parts to repair the bike until I can get it started.

Basically I am stuck on why no power is going to the starter button. The connections where all clean and contacted right. But no voltage. So I don't know where to start looking next. I checked the clutch and side stand safety switch and they are good. But the bike is in neutral so those wouldn't even matter. I am thinking it might just be a safety that is not working right. Anybody know where is the starter circuit relay located?

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #22
Jono

Ah I got the starter to work. She just wont turn over right now. It was the IG fuse. I somehow missed it. Being stupid I guess. And I don't know how it blew in the first place. But I am happy now. I am making progress!

Old January 11th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #23
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

This might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Start_&_Ignition_Troubleshoot_Schematic.pdf (98.6 KB, 15 views)
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Ah I got the starter to work. She just wont turn over right now. It was the IG fuse. I somehow missed it. Being stupid I guess. And I don't know how it blew in the first place. But I am happy now. I am making progress!
@Nemesis what do i win?

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #25
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Something tells me you and OP are in on this. LOL

Old January 12th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #26
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Hang on, two things stick out in this,

1: you say starter 'works' but the engine won't turn over, (or am I
misunderstanding you ? ).

2 : you tried bumping it down a hill, but again, you say it wouldn't turn over.
Did you mean it won't physically turn over, or just that it wouldn't start ?

If in both cases the motor doesn't actually turn over, then you have a slightly more fundamental problem than just an electrical one
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #27
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Hang on, two things stick out in this,

1: you say starter 'works' but the engine won't turn over, (or am I
misunderstanding you ? ).

2 : you tried bumping it down a hill, but again, you say it wouldn't turn over.
Did you mean it won't physically turn over, or just that it wouldn't start ?

If in both cases the motor doesn't actually turn over, then you have a slightly more fundamental problem than just an electrical one

Sorry for the confusion.

At first the starter button wouldn't do anything. And I discovered that it was the ignition fuse. Replaced it and the starter button caused the starter to attempt to turn over the engine. But it didn't. So the electrical problems are probably over with, unless it is a spark plug problem.

It could be a number of things yet. My carbs might be flooded. Or just need to be drained. Or the spark plugs could be fouled. The bike was sideways for at least 15 miuntes. 2 min after the crash and 13 minutes in the back of the truck going to my house.

The problem now is. I cant try push starting it because I have also been working on the front end. The forks are off the bike right now. I need to go to a machine shop to get the left one straightened out. It is slightly bent. No creases so it should be fixable.

This is where I am at now.

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #28
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion.

At first the starter button wouldn't do anything. And I discovered that it was the ignition fuse. Replaced it and the starter button caused the starter to attempt to turn over the engine. But it didn't. So the electrical problems are probably over with, unless it is a spark plug problem.

It could be a number of things yet. My carbs might be flooded. Or just need to be drained. Or the spark plugs could be fouled. The bike was sideways for at least 15 miuntes. 2 min after the crash and 13 minutes in the back of the truck going to my house.

The problem now is. I cant try push starting it because I have also been working on the front end. The forks are off the bike right now. I need to go to a machine shop to get the left one straightened out. It is slightly bent. No creases so it should be fixable.

This is where I am at now.
If the starter works but cant turn over the motor (just clicks), then that is most likely a battery problem. If the motor turns over but doesn't fire that is either a spark problem or a carb problem.

I would troubleshoot in the following order:

Battery problem - Jump from a car (not running) or charge battery

Spark problem - Remove spark plug boot, install spare plug, place end of plug against the frame and turn the motor over a few times. You should see a spark. I don't really think it is this since the coils are on the same circuit as the starter relay. But you could have a problem with the motor ground, CDI, or crank position sensor.

Carb problem - Clean carbs.

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #29
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynjay View Post
If the starter works but cant turn over the motor (just clicks), then that is most likely a battery problem. If the motor turns over but doesn't fire that is either a spark problem or a carb problem.

I would troubleshoot in the following order:

Battery problem - Jump from a car (not running) or charge battery

Spark problem - Remove spark plug boot, install spare plug, place end of plug against the frame and turn the motor over a few times. You should see a spark. I don't really think it is this since the coils are on the same circuit as the starter relay. But you could have a problem with the motor ground, CDI, or crank position sensor.

Carb problem - Clean carbs.

Okay I guess it is turning the engine over but it is not firing or running I should say. I am a newbie with all this so please forgive my newbishness. I hear the engine starting like it normally would but it just doesn't start running. As if it is was flooded or something.

But I need to get the fork fixed to see if it will push start. But I may drain the carbs and buy new spark plugs. The NGK spark plugs are pretty cheap and I could use some new ones anyway. Might as well try it while I have the bike apart.

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #30
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Okay I guess it is turning the engine over but it is not firing or running I should say. I am a newbie with all this so please forgive my newbishness. I hear the engine starting like it normally would but it just doesn't start running. As if it is was flooded or something.

But I need to get the fork fixed to see if it will push start. But I may drain the carbs and buy new spark plugs. The NGK spark plugs are pretty cheap and I could use some new ones anyway. Might as well try it while I have the bike apart.
That definately sounds like a carb issue. I agree that draining the carbs and changing the plugs is a good first troubleshooting step.

Make sure to gap the plugs.

No worries on the noobishness, we all have to start somewhere

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
when it sits on the side for a long time oil gets places you dont want it. change all the fluids and drain the carbs. check your plugs.

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #32
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Sorry, did anyone mention kill switch too ? (I'm being really lazy and not re-reading the posts ).

Hey, I was a noob three decades ago, I won't tell you some of the things I did or said
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote