Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:31 AM   #1
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Tony's Track Days?

Hi,

Anyone try Tonys Track Days? I was reading their website and the First Timers program seems like something I want to try. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with that program, and/or a track day with them.

Thanks for any assistance.

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

If this is the same Tony's trackday I'm thinking of I've heard bad things about them. I could be wrong. Do a search on the WERA forum.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:56 AM   #3
lux
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the reply and suggestion! Did a search on WERA. The results are 2+ years old, but they have a good reputation! Especially for the reasons I'm thinking about doing a track day with them. Thanks again!

Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:35 AM   #4
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

I tried a track day with TTD last month and honetsly I think I am sold with running with them for a while. I managed to get 122 Miles in that day and that was missing more than half of one session.

The positives:
Lots of track time. 7 OPEN 20 minute sessions and one additional 15 minute partialy guided for blue/ yellow groups. For all first timers the first session is 30 minute guided. The control riders are very experienced and can give out an excellent level of instruction if asked. We did have some classroom time but I think something initiated it early in the day.

The negatives:
No rentals.

These guys are well organized, very freindly and very knowledgable. I would highly recommend them. In fact I am signed up for June 18th.

However, if you are looking to to a track day at Loudon, you can also consider Penguin Racing School (which I ran with them a few times), fishtail racing, Boston Moto and I think Seacoast too.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:45 AM   #5
Nny
ninjette.org member

P.S. I would also recommend Penguin Racing School. Their track day experience group has classroom time in between every session to go over reference points, racing lines and body positioning. They also do leather rentals if you need them. Not as much track time.. but the level of instruction is top notch.

Really though, you can't go wrong with any of the track organizers running at Loudon.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #6
capriccio
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I've heard good things about Tony's trackday too. I attend 1 Penguin Trackday which was great. I'm gonna do another one with Penguin on June 14th.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
ttd
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
If this is the same Tony's trackday I'm thinking of I've heard bad things about them. I could be wrong. Do a search on the WERA forum.

As mentioned, in general the only "bad" reviews we get are from agressive riders that have a problem with our structure.

Personally, I like having a structure and passing rules when it comes to track days - and when riders email or call me and I get the sense they are looking for "race practice", I always steer them elsewhere.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you at our trackdays. We have 3 days coming up in New Hampshire (June 18, 19, and 20) - and then we are down in New Jersey for two days (July 22 and 23).
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Baddog
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 04 ZX 6R-636, 06 ZX 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttd View Post

As mentioned, in general the only "bad" reviews we get are from agressive riders that have a problem with our structure.

Personally, I like having a structure and passing rules when it comes to track days - and when riders email or call me and I get the sense they are looking for "race practice", I always steer them elsewhere.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you at our trackdays. We have 3 days coming up in New Hampshire (June 18, 19, and 20) - and then we are down in New Jersey for two days (July 22 and 23).
We'll cya at Thunderbolt in July.
Baddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Tony!

I am glad you joined. About those aggressive riders.... What do you do with them? Putting ego aside, their experience is less then their expectation in a C or novice group but their skills dictate they NOT run in any other group. How do you handle that?

Not that I complained but I remember overstaying my time in novice and in hindsight, felt I should have been bumped earlier. In the end, I bumped myself when I thought I was ready as no one "instructed" me to do so.

I have a friend that I am trying to convince he is ready to move up from novice but he is reluctant. I don't push him to hard, his bike, his money and his time but I see him being held back as his only real problem is the finer points of BP. He has taken a novice school 3 times now (different orgs) and his is starting to rate his track day experiences as "so so".

Maybe a better question is, what do you/your control riders look for when they bump riders from one group to another?

Your thoughts?

fyi: My friend and I are in KY and have never ridden with TTD but would like to consider it to get exposure on other tracks, meet other riders and have a generally fun day riding.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #10
lux
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the detailed replies! Lots of appreciation from this nervous newb.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:05 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

TTD is awesome. I am very new to track days, did 2 last year and 1 this week along with Razee M/C Center. Program is very safe, helpful people all day long on and off the track, great track walk in the evening, classroom sessions, passing rules vary by rider level. Track sessions start and end on time.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #12
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
one of the instructors is a frequent member at this forum:

www.sportbikes.net

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #13
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Because of this info I think I might try them too!

Since I've started riding in January I've been wanting to do some track days to build up my skills and experience. The only experience I have with track was the Thunderbolt raceway Open House sometime in March (I believe). Although they had very strict rules for the open house, basically none of it was enforced! I did around 2-3 Laps and it was an excellent experience! I was pumped after that but also upset and a bit nervous as it was frightening getting passed on ("not allowed") in the corners and I just didn't keep lines or anything.

Would like to do one sometime before September. I would just have to get the bike track ready and what not or get a track bike to really push myself because my current bike is my main/commuter bike.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Nny
ninjette.org member

NYCSteve, just out of curiosity, which track would you run when you sign up?

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #15
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nny View Post
NYCSteve, just out of curiosity, which track would you run when you sign up?
NJ (Thunderbolt). It's a hellava a lot closer then New Hampshire. I can ride to and from though I would take any track in which I can get a free trailer ride to!

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #16
Nny
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
NJ (Thunderbolt). It's a hellava a lot closer then New Hampshire. I can ride to and from though I would take any track in which I can get a free trailer ride to!

NJMP, eh? Definitely jealous. Haven't been there yet and it was on my "to do" list this year but finances say otherwise. Fortunately I am already signed up for the Aug 13th session at NHMS but might be my last track day of the year .

Anyway, I guess regardless of your choice in tracks you are going to have a blast. My first lap on my first track day definitely opened up a whole new world for me.

P.S. I know New England has a web site for riders and it just so happens that a lot of track junkies along with representatives of several track organizers visit that site frequently. I see from time to time people splitting trailer rides back and forth... maybe the New Jersey Motorsport Park has something similar? Maybe someone on the nestreetriders site happens to be passing by your town to NJMP? Just a thought...

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #17
nycsteve
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nny View Post
NJMP, eh? Definitely jealous. Haven't been there yet and it was on my "to do" list this year but finances say otherwise. Fortunately I am already signed up for the Aug 13th session at NHMS but might be my last track day of the year .

Anyway, I guess regardless of your choice in tracks you are going to have a blast. My first lap on my first track day definitely opened up a whole new world for me.

P.S. I know New England has a web site for riders and it just so happens that a lot of track junkies along with representatives of several track organizers visit that site frequently. I see from time to time people splitting trailer rides back and forth... maybe the New Jersey Motorsport Park has something similar? Maybe someone on the nestreetriders site happens to be passing by your town to NJMP? Just a thought...
Enjoy that track day and be safe! Get some cool pics to show us. NJMP's open house was pretty good for me, but sucked for one of the riders I went with (she went down on one of the first turns on the opening lap, OVER AGGRESSIVE/proving to someone else that she got skills) and had to go to the hospital on the ambulance. I was pumped up before that but then was kinda nervous/afraid after. Not to mention I only had a little over 2 months of riding!

I'm kinda on the same boat as you financially (my 7500 mile service was due 500+ miles ago, vacations, etc.) and I'm just not sure if I'm going to be able to get a track day before September/end of season.

I'll def. do my homework on the trailer end of things. I ride with a few groups out here and they normally go at least once a month with extra trailers (and they are very accommodating) but I'm not sure if they will go after August (cooler weather). Thanks for all the info.