ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #1
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Valuating a Track Bike

Is there a rule of thumb for valuating a track bike for resale. I have a friend who wants to sell his old track bike due to a street crash that ended his riding career earlier this year. Are they only worth what someone is willing to pay, or is there guide of sorts (e.g.: KBB or NADA value less a certain percentage)? I'm sure location compounds the value as well. There are no tracks in Arkansas, therefore no demand, unlike Southern California.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a nice track bike can be worth much more than a street bike. that said a crappy track bike can be worth not so much. it depends on what the bike actually is, not that it is a track bike.

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

you probably have to add up all the parts needed to build the bike. then add blue book for poor condition. that will get you pretty close.

if there are spares for the bike they can make the bike more attractive.

got any pics?

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #4
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

It depends on the bike itself, location, demand, extras, market, time of year... it has a lot of variables involved. Do some research (ie classifieds on the race org sites) and see what the particular bike is going for. As far as being in Arkansas...if it is a good price on a good bike, people are willing to travel or have bikes shipped...

Old December 6th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Local shop did a track build of 3 R6. The 3 in total rolled out at about $80K. That's just under $27K each. What could they pull for resale? I guess you have to find the right person but even then it's gotta be much lower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (180.0 KB, 16 views)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #6
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I don't have any photos of it yet. When we get out of storage, we will get some photos. It's a 2003 GSX-R600. It has be irreversibly been modified as a track bike, unless someone wants to put a new main wiring harness in it, new fairings, lights, etc. From what I saw briefly today, it has unfinished race plastics, a GPR steering damper, adjustable rearsets, frame sliders, and lap timing gear. There is also a custom piece of masking tape over the speedometer that has "Go Faster!" written on it.

He was thinking between $1000-1500 would be a fair price to ask. I just want to double check that so he doesn't get screwed. If I could get to the track on a monthly basis, I'd consider it. NADA values it between $2905 - $3820.

Old December 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

gotta have that custom masking tape bro, hella expensive mod
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Let me start by saying, I am still learning this aspect myself but I can share what I have learned so far. Buying a track bike is not like buying a street bike in the least. Unlike street bikes, where aftermarket parts do not add to the price, on a track bike they do! Your after a solid bike with a base setup that is done right! Not just parts thrown on to get a better price. After all, you will be going triple digits on this thing, testing the bike's abilities/setup as well as your own.

Rear shock? Suspension mods? this is where a big chunk of change is. I wouldn't buy a track bike without the suspension already vetted. Maybe need a spring for your weight and refresh. But with a 1k price tag..... one could afford to buy it afterward.

If it's 100% pure track, who cares about the title status, although ensure it's not a stolen bike. Then again... I do like a clear title on ALL my bikes. Plans change.... I am sure it's not the case here but ya never know....

Has it been down? lol.... of course it has, don't even ask. Look for frame damage and not loose focus of that by checking out the clipons (they break off or bend), rearsets (break and bend) or scratches on the fairings, ect.. ect...

Ask about wiring mods, nothing sucks worse than having to redo a wiring harness, unless you really want to.

Any fuel management mods? Power commander?

You need to ask these questions. Because if you don't know how to customize these parts yourself, your gunna have to factor $$ in your budget to have the bike setup. For example, I have recently flashed the ECU in my R6 with a custom fuel map. As if the bike wasn't fast enough in stock form.... hahahahhaahah

All in all it's a complex formula to figure out if a track bike's price is right for you. But basically, it's a build vs buy cost comparison. Riders in my area will sell their street bike for 5k-9k and buy an already set up track bike with a clear title for 5k. But it's assumed that the bike itself is worth less. The combination of bike + aftermarket parts + setup is what makes a track bike worth it's price. In general, I would pay more for a bike that was setup by someone who knows WTF they are doing.

It sounds like a good deal and if you get it.... bring it home, put it up on stands in the garage and get it naked. Go over and through everything...... and I mean everything.

Good luck and see you at the track!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Oh, forgot a few items.

A track bike better already have a full exhaust and tune for that exhaust.
A track bike better already have brake upgrades too.

Mileage, for street use mileage is something to consider but it's very very important on a track bike. A mile on the track is nothing like a mile on the street. The less the better. And...... you can't trust the odometer because it might not even be there or has been replaced.

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Those 3 R6 - Ohlins TTX, front fork kits, full akra, PC, dyno tune, rear sets, track fairings, brake upgrades, tech time at the track for their first outing and suspension tuning.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
Is there a rule of thumb for valuating a track bike for resale. I have a friend who wants to sell his old track bike due to a street crash that ended his riding career earlier this year. Are they only worth what someone is willing to pay, or is there guide of sorts (e.g.: KBB or NADA value less a certain percentage)? I'm sure location compounds the value as well. There are no tracks in Arkansas, therefore no demand, unlike Southern California.
Any bike is only worth what you're willing to pay (that's why I always lowball to the max).

What tracks did the owner use this bike?

What is your track experience?

You might be better off with a street bike that you can also use on the track.

If the tracks are too far away, it might cost more than you want to spend to get there. This would make the track only bike worth much less.

What other bikes have you owned or ridden? A stock larger cc bike might be all you need for the track. That way you can use it on the street and track.

Ask your friend if you can borrow said track bike for a track day (tell him if you crash it you will buy it for x amount) to see if it is really what you're looking for.

If you have only ridden a 250 you will find that a stock 600 or 1000 will give you all the excitment you need on the track.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #12
geeker
ninjette.org guru

I think there is some confusion here. I'm not looking to buy a track bike. I'm just trying to make sure my friend gets a fair resale value out of his. I think he told me his last track day was at No Problem Raceway in August of 2010. The nearest tracks to us are in TX and OK. If I go to the track, it's going to be on the 300

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

My bad, I assumed you wanted to buy your friends track bike.

It's still the same deal though, how much is the "complete" package worth. Each market varies and how much is buyer willing to pay.

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Converting a street bike to track is generally done with a labor of love and typically not gaining any substantial value. That bike will be looked at as "raced" and reduced the life of the engine or simply put "abused". The owner is better off converting it back to a street bike (if the title is good) and selling the parts seperately if they are looking to get their money back.
Look at weraclassifieds.com to get an idea on what to sell it for. Maybe even post it up there but he will most likely have to deal with shipping the bike.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

How about a pegram BMW race bike. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=200855205830

Old December 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #16
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I'd rather have a Graves handmedown. I've seen them for sale before.