ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 5th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #1
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Which bike for a track day?

Hey all, I'm just curious of which of my bikes would be better for me if I were to do a track day. I'm not a super skilled rider by any means, I've yet to spend any time at a track but I consider myself experienced on the streets. We don't have much for twisties locally, but there are a few good curves around here. and every now and then I get to hit some twisty stuff on longer rides. I've ridden pretty much the same exact twisty roads on my Ninja and on my CBR, and the difference is phenomenal. The Ninja feels like it's going to fall over lol, whereas the CBR has this awesome feeling of grip and security. And when you roll on the throttle.... Oh man it's so great. The CBR definitely takes more work and a lot more focus to make it do what I want, but it does everything better and it has a far superior connection to the rider. I'm also usually taking corners faster on the CBR as well, and no I don't mean hitting the throttle coming out of the corner and looking down to see illegal on my speedometer, I mean glancing down mid corner and seeing 5-10 mph faster than the Ninja. Oh and if you throw bumps or uneven pavement into the mix it makes the Ninja get all unsettled whereas the CBR just pretends to be a jet ski and has no issue with it.

Okay, you get it, the CBR quite obviously has a far superior chassis and more power, but from what I've seen from this website and people's suggestions is to start on the track like you'd start on the street: small. It seems mostly for the forgiveability of the bike and being able to push it to it's limits more easily. I doubt I could hit the actual limits of either bike, but I feel like I could ride the CBR faster because it is a better bike and (I think) I'm skilled enough to be able to use enough of it's potential over the Ninja for it to make a difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, I'm just looking for advice and recommendations from people who've ridden all sorts of bikes on the track and have a lot of experience. I know there's a lot of you on this site! I sadly won't be able to do a track day this summer but I've been curious about this for a while.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Dark
Simple kind of man

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Which ever bike is cheaper/easier to maintain.

If you're just getting in to track days then you don't need to worry about speed, you just need to focus on etiquette, body position, cornering speeds, and lines. What's likely to happen is accidents and you'll probably want to use the bike that costs the least amount to repair and service.

Old August 5th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Any bike in good condition with new tyres will do for a level 1 or 2 track day.
A bike is a bike.

-Don't overthink it,
-throw anything you've ever 'learnt' or self taught away (no matter how many yrs riding .....it means absolutely nothing)
-make sure they have coaching.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^

Whichever you feel most comfortable with. Your first track day is near a 100% learning experience.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
If you're just getting in to track days then you don't need to worry about speed, you just need to focus on etiquette, body position, cornering speeds, and lines.
I agree with this part.

Either bike will do the job for a first track day and after experiencing your first track day, you will have a solid answer for your second.

That being said, it sounds like you have already answered it but you are looking for someone to give the "OK" on your decision. Take it. Stay smooth with what you do and you won't have an issue. Speed will come naturally. Just like the street; leave your ego at home and ride your own ride.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
KawiKid860

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I'd be more comfortable on the CBR. The Ninja just does not have a confidence inspiring chassis IMO. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a big no-no to take a supersport beast out for my first track day. Hoping to ditch the CBR and get a supermoto anyways and then my answer will be really clear lol.

Old August 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

My first was on my cbr600. Go for it and have fun.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Sell both bikes and get a ninja 300, the ultimate track bike.

But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter, you won't come close to the limit of either bike
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter, you won't come close to the limit of either bike
^^^ THIS. SO MUCH THIS!!

Whatever you take, be a sponge and absorb all that you can. The track (and the paddock) is a cool environment full of riders who can blow your doors off and riders who, like you, are learning. Everyone will help anyone.

If you want easy head-down positioning and POWAHHH, take the cibber.

If you want a bike that won't mask your mistakes (you'll make tons) and will make you work for every bit of BP, take the 500.

Take whichever bike you feel comfortable on, is mechanically ready to go, and you won't hate yourself for dumping.

Have a blast! Nothing like your first track day. Except maybe your second. and third... okay, just have a blast, you'll be hooked.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

All your moneys will be belonging to them!

Old August 10th, 2013, 01:29 AM   #11
KawiKid860

Thanks for the replies!

I know I won't come anywhere near the limits of either bike, though I'm pretty sure I could scrape centerstand/exhaust on the ninja once I got comfortable pushing it. I'm certainly more comfortable on the CBR, I could always mod the 500 suspension but that's $$$ and why not take the bike that's practically track ready out of the box. And even modded the 500 still wouldn't be anywhere near a supersport.

I'm competitive and sometimes forget that it's a learning experience not racing lol. I'm definitely more interested in mastering cornering rather than getting on the straights and letting the bike rip, I know of several roads where I could do that without having to pay for a track day lol. But 110hp on a straight away is sort of a bonus... .

So the answer is pretty much seeming like a definite vote for the CBR. Would it be beneficial to me or anyone else here if I put up links to the tracks I'm considering so you could see them?

I just wish I had a sumo... they do $30 track days at the kart track like 10 minutes from my house. I go and spectate and it looks like an insane amount of fun.. not to mention all the other stupid/fun/crazy stuff you can do on a sumo lol. They used to let sport bikes run on the track too but I guess the new ownership doesn't.

Old August 10th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Be ready to brake like you've never braked before. That's all I'm saying. I always over brake for a couple turns. Every time. I tighten up and panic and target fixate on those braking zones without fail. It's something I need to work on, and I know you'll find things like that too. But braking is really the biggest thing I'm still not used to. Brake late and hard. You'll feel like you're going to run straight off the track
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #13
KawiKid860

I'll probably be the same as you for braking lol, I won't be used to flying at corners with so much speed, especially on the 600

Old August 13th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I'm competitive and sometimes forget that it's a learning experience not racing lol.
Leave that at home.

Old August 13th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #15
Manimal
ninjette.org member

Name: Daren

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE

Not sure if you done this already or not, watch Twist of the Wrist II, by Keith Code, and or Superbike School. These are two great training videos.

If you plan for a track day, I highly recommend attending one that hosts and offers instructors. Like others had said, absorb as much as you can and practice, practice, practice, and MORE practice.

Tire pressure: be sure to set the proper tire pressure for your track day.

Oh! and one more thing, Suspension (if adjustable); if the track has a suspension tuner on site, get your suspension adjusted. Otherwise, if you have a moto-shop that specializes in suspension near by, have them dial your suspension for your track day.

Have fun! It could be the best experience you have ever had / have on a motorcycle
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote