ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 14th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #1
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

New battery, changed oil....

So I changed oil and filter yesterday, also threw a new battery in. I normally change oil once a season, even though I do between 2-3k miles a season.

Since end of last year, September, the oil pressure and water temp light would stay on for a longer duration than what I would consider normal at startup. I would let bike warm up and the lights would go away after 30 seconds or so. I chased down a potential ground issue, checked everything I could, never found the smoking gun. After changing the battery, this issue is all but gone. One thing I said I would do at next oil change is to check the screen as I've read its good practice to check this every couple of oil changes. Bike is 08, used. I got it with 8,3xx miles, currently at 13,3xx miles. I've done this a time or two in the past and have never found anything. Until yesterday....

Pictures show small flakes of a brass like material, but I imagine its not brass, and the that the temp/oil changed the color. Any chance anyone has seen this before? Can't say that the valves have ever been checked or adjusted, its on my to do list this fall/winter. But if this is more serious, I may just be looking at something more in depth...Any thoughts would be welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0058_1024.jpg (113.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0059_1024.jpg (292.1 KB, 12 views)

Old August 14th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

You struck gold!!

I'm drawing a gray cloud right now but low oil light means you have low oil pressure and those flakes are along the lines of bearings gone bad.

I do not recall the bearings having copper or brass in them. It's been a while so I'll wait for expert/veteran opinions.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
You struck gold!!

I'm drawing a gray cloud right now but low oil light means you have low oil pressure and those flakes are along the lines of bearings gone bad.

I do not recall the bearings having copper or brass in them. It's been a while so I'll wait for expert/veteran opinions.

Low oil pressure AND water temp light were staying on longer than normal. Soon as I changed battery, issue went away. Old battery had a low charge and wouldn't ever charge over 13.6 volts. Possible it could've been original, plus positive terminal had some serious growth...all those plus a new battery from Amazon for $26 shipped is what made me change it. I feel decent in saying that the lights staying on longer than normal were due to the battery, and that the engine was never starved for oil. I've always been pretty religious about checking fluid levels, and making sure that I keep good oil in the bike. Since I've had the bike, I did a pretty good oil flush when I first got it, and a Motorkote treatment. Did that again last year. Just trying to see if some of the folks here who have gone through motors or rebuilt have seen something like this. Trying to gauge my 'worry' level, and whether I need to be getting a 500....

~Thanks

Old August 14th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You ought to examine a couple flakes with a magnifier to see if you can get any idea what they may be. I can imagine they could even be coming from an oil filter that's coming apart. They sure don't look like anything I've seen in oil when something important is failing.

There are probably bronze bushings somewhere in the transmission, but I've never had a 250 transmission apart to know.

Has anyone seen clutch plates that color? I have not, but I haven't seen every clutch plate there is.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Save what oil you need and send a sample off if you feel inclined. As far as the flakes go, send some with your sample as well and save a few for yourself. Next, test for magnetism. If the flakes are metal, then they will stick to the magnet, if not... then check the oil filter and clutch for possible abnormal wear. I am unaware of anything else in the oil pipeline that is even remotely close to that color, everything else should be silver(ish). Purely judging by the pics, it's crap from a not so good oil filter but don't hurt to check.

Also, how in the world are you from cincy and we haven't meet at a bike night or something? Lemme know if you need anything because I am close.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You ought to examine a couple flakes with a magnifier to see if you can get any idea what they may be. I can imagine they could even be coming from an oil filter that's coming apart. They sure don't look like anything I've seen in oil when something important is failing.

There are probably bronze bushings somewhere in the transmission, but I've never had a 250 transmission apart to know.

Has anyone seen clutch plates that color? I have not, but I haven't seen every clutch plate there is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Save what oil you need and send a sample off if you feel inclined. As far as the flakes go, send some with your sample as well and save a few for yourself. Next, test for magnetism. If the flakes are metal, then they will stick to the magnet, if not... then check the oil filter and clutch for possible abnormal wear. I am unaware of anything else in the oil pipeline that is even remotely close to that color. Purely judging by the pics, it's crap from a not so good oil filter but don't hurt to check.

Also, how in the world are you from cincy and we haven't meet at a bike night or something? Lemme know if you need anything because I am close.

As far as oil filter, the old one was a K&N, as I've previously used. Maybe only had 2k miles at most on that oil and filter. Might be in the oil pan in garage still, I could check it. These flakes I found were on the top side of the screen, so def not circulating in the oil. I didn't pull screen last time, so they may be a little old. As far as bike, runs fine, no tick or discernible valve noise. As far as clutch, stock clutch, or atlas I haven't replaced it. Feels like it did as I always remembered it. I've had a rough shift here or there depending on the traffic situation, butI don't think its roasted. The oil that I drained was still semi transparent. A little dark, but could see light through the stream as it drained.

And Chris, we did meet...hooked you up with a free stock windscreen last year...plus I don't do the bike scene too much. Unwanted noise in those situations sometimes...

Old August 14th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Oh yea! For the r6, thank again! Still using that. Sorry for not remembering, I have meet soooooo many people over the past couple of years.

Old August 14th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Or hold up.... was this at microcenter where we meet up? Did you ever get that vacation you sooooo need? Hope the family is doing well too.

Old August 14th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #9
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Or hold up.... was this at microcenter where we meet up? Did you ever get that vacation you sooooo need? Hope the family is doing well too.
LOL...memory is a bitch aint it? Yeah vacation came and went, another one too. Family is all good. Yours?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
LOL...memory is a bitch aint it? Yeah vacation came and went, another one too. Family is all good. Yours?
I am glad... yes, all good here, can't complain.

Old August 14th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #11
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
I am glad... yes, all good here, can't complain.
Need to make my way down there some day. Would love for someone of your expertise to ride this Ninja. Get an experts' opinion on my carb tuning.