ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
M13 wrecked, bad

To start, who is M13

Link to original page on YouTube.

Quote:
Hey guys, M13 here. I won't be uploading videos for a while. The March tour is most likely cancelled. So if you're booked for the March tour check with me or wait for an email confirming that it will be pushed to the next tour. I actually have someone younger cooller and better looking than me to take over my tours. So they are still happening.YouTube Search : M13 Taiwan Tours I'm known for being a bit of a jerk. But I've always liked to think that I have a good heart. I help with animals and Sean McCormack when I can. I donate to other Facebook users. I donate to other motorcycle vloggers. I donate to other motorcycle riders when I hear they crash and don't have insurance and need help. YouTube Search : M13 charity
I've always believed in giving something back. Even when I was talking with subscribers on Steam and gaming with them I remember one incident where a boy mentioned that it was his mother's birthday and he didn't have any money to buy her a present so I quickly sent him some money for his mother's present. He told her where the money came from even though I told him not to. Anyway enough of me trying to prove that I'm not an ass. Because no one believes that. But I'm an ass with a good heart. Or "the nicest asshole you'll meet." as one of my guests said. YouTube Search : M13 cries asshole
Well it's my turn to ask for charity. I had a bad crash on Monday November 14th. A very bad crash. I was leading a tour and due to the very safe and slow pace that we do I was looking around a lot and I took my eyes off the road for too long. I cut across the oncoming lane and hit a short partition wall. My scooter and smart both smartly bounced off the wall and slide to a stop...both relatively unhurt. While I, being not as smart...flew over the wall and out into the air, it was great like superman! And then I plummeted about 35 feet to the loving embrace of the waiting pavement of a lower road.I've broken both my upper legs. And lost half of my left hand. My every hour of every day is horrifying. I pooped today...was beyond horrific...haha...no really it was...imagine trying to poop with two broken legs...alying flat out on a bed nd then trying to clean it with only one hand.
My son JD just lost his entire financial security. I just lost my life savings and all my plans for the future. In the first few days at the hospital I got very happy on the inside when I saw the windows didn't have bars on them. And then calmost ried when someone opened one and I saw that they only open an inch. That was my state of mind. YouTube Search : M13 parenting baby JD I'm doing better now. My wife is being incredibly helpful and supportive. But I don't know how long she can keep it up...
Taiwan medical covers the majority of it, but I'm still looking at large sums of money over the next few months. Plus thousands in lost income and I was barely breaking even to begin the with. It will be 4-6 months before I can walk again, my beautiful baby boy has lost his daddy. Update: 6-9 months... right leg is worse than they thought.
If all of my 150,000 subscribers gave a dollar I'd probably make it through this. If they all gave 10 then my family would be stronger from this than before.
But either way I can't do this without your help. I really really can't. My life is in your hands. If there are any charaties that could help...that would be great.
Money is needed for medical bills, lost income, care giving, wheelchairs, home improvements (wheelchair ramps...etc) and other things I'm forgetting.
I don't know how these charity websites work and it's taken me 5 days just to write this. So for now I'm just going to list my PayPal account : moredeth13@hotmail.com .
Othr ways to help...spread the word. If your someone with influence do a charity drive. If you're an artist I'll be asking for help with that type of stuff.
But whoever you are please spare something now to bring some hope to the most horrific time in my life.
PayPal account : moredeth13@hotmail.com
All the people on my current tour can confirm all this as well as all my friends.
https://i.imgur.com/CWi6XSb.jpg I linked to the picture rather than posting it intentionally, the dude flew over a cliff it's not a pretty pic

I figured this belonged in videos because of all the videos the guy has made over the years, sad to see and it just goes to show that someone who is as cautious of a rider as m13 (yes he's typically cautious, he's generally very alert and defensive in his videos with only the rare aggressive outbreaks of fun which he usually does at his local track anyway)

Sad day for anyone who has enjoyed his videos

Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:27 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
He's always been a kind-hearted person. I love how he takes care of dogs and his relationship with his son. He's one of few motovloggers I like. I really hope he gets better asap.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM   #3
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Dam, can't really say I was a fan but I've watched a few of his videos. Sucks to hear that he's had such a bad wreck.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:21 AM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
F@ck. I watched him from the very beginning. This is sad.

He has an extremely kind heart for dogs. But he is also respectful to humans as well (just not stupid ones).

He's extremely cautious and defensive when riding.

And it is really sad that the only time we get to see his face is in that picture.

I'll be donating.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:23 AM   #5
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Thanks for posting that @Sirref.

This is very sad news. I started watching his videos over 3 years ago and have seen pretty much all of them since then. I was wondering why he hadn't made any new ones recently.

Mordeth 13 is one of the reasons I started riding. The sense of freedom and wonder he exudes is quite unique and quite amazing. In his videos he seems so connected to his experience and I always get the sense that he's truly living; not just passing time waiting for life to start when some perfect set of unattainable conditions are met. I really hope that he fights through this and stays true to himself.

I'll be donating. It wont be much because I don't have much right now, but like he says: if everyone who follows him gives just a little bit, he (and his kid) will get through this.

F***
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:53 AM   #6
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
He just recently made a video about riding fast vs riding slow. In the video he points out that these are two very different ways of riding, each of which have unique challenges. He also points out that he is relatively new to riding slow and that it isn't his natural riding style:

He states in the video:

Quote:
When you're going really slow you can just drift off and like day dream. That's another reason why slow is also somewhat unsafe, because if you're going slow you focus a lot less on the road.
I've experienced this myself. If I ride slow (less than the fastest speed I can safely travel at) I find my mind constantly drifts off or I become distracted by things around me that aren't relevant to my riding. I keep having to tell myself (usually out loud): "CONCENTRATE! You're on a motorcycle: you could die."

I think that the argument that riding fast is safer should be interpreted as: "you shouldn't ride slower than the fastest speed that you can safely travel at". When I first started riding, my sense of "fast" was below the speed limit for the most part. I was probably holding up traffic in my first month of riding. I was still riding fast though. My fast. If I had opted to ride well within my comfort zone (which would have probably been ~10mph at the point), then it would have been harder for me to stay in-the-zone. It would have been harder for me to remain focused, purely on the ride. Right now, my comfortable sense of fast is almost always above the speed limit (which recently got me into a little bit of trouble with some people who's favourite colour is blue >.> ).

These are my thoughts. I feel like they're relevant to what happened. I have noticed that in his videos, when he rides really slow he becomes way more easily distracted and his riding becomes for more reactive instead of predictive. I think this is a common experience. Perhaps there are things we can learn that allow us to remain focused even at slow speeds?

Old November 23rd, 2014, 05:35 AM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ some what agree with that, i had a close call when i was riding really slow and just day dreaming. I am pretty confident that it would have never happened if i was riding normal pace.

Crash seems terrible, hopefully things work out for him and his family.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
F@ck. I watched him from the very beginning. This is sad.

He has an extremely kind heart for dogs. But he is also respectful to humans as well (just not stupid ones).

He's extremely cautious and defensive when riding.

And it is really sad that the only time we get to see his face is in that picture.

I'll be donating.
Same, I learned a lot of the basics of riding from him long before I started riding, and if this is the way we got to see his face I wish we didn't

Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:16 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
poor guy. send him some money, he needs help.

Old November 24th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Update on his condition:

*EDIT* Removed embedded video in case people don't want to see the picture after his crash. The video isn't particularly gruesome, just him in his hospital bed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6emApOoiZhc

Old November 24th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
That video was just as heartbreaking as the news, though I am glad he's able to stay on the positive side with his "M13" joke about his left hand. I always thought and wanted him to be the rider who would beat the odds and never have a bad wreck while riding constantly. It's a shame I was wrong.

Old November 25th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #12
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Do you think he'll keep riding afterward? I've actually looked into riding a motorcycle after losing a limb before, and it seems feasible with modifications. He'd probably be totally fine on his scooter, though.

Old November 25th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
He'll ride afterwards, but it'll be a while before he gets back into it. You kinda need to ride over there if you want to get anywhere. I doubt we'll ever see his 650 again though as he's most likely sold it and used the money along with his savings to try to make it through this rough time.

Old November 25th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #14
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Damn I've always enjoyed his videos. I'll be donating, I hope he can get through this OK.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #15
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Another thing to consider is that the fingers that he lost, pinky and ring finger, are a lot stronger than the index and middle (try it). He's gonna lose a lot of capability of his left hand. It could still be much much worse (no nerve damage, head injuries, neck injuries, etc) If I were him, I'd try to build some robot fingers or something it'd be like a new hobby.

Old November 25th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Those robot fingers exist, they're just super expensive

my dad thoroughly enjoys pointing out to me how good the prosthesis market is and how important it is for me to not lose my insurance so I can actually get said prosthesis.

Old November 25th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #17
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
There's a lot of great open-source prosthetic projects out there. They don't compare to the high-end stuff, but they're still awesome. You just need some high-torque metal-geared servos and a 3d printer, baby! (Woodworking would probably be ok if you don't have access to a 3d printer like me)

Old November 25th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I've thought about it from time to time, that would suck to have happen. I'd deal better with losing a leg than losing an arm/hand even with prosthesis to replace it but even then my calves are the most defined muscles in my body due to riding and marching band in high school and I take a certain amount of pride in them as silly as that may sound. I'm that crazy backwards guy at the gym that skips arm day but never misses leg day.

Old November 25th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #19
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I've thought about it from time to time, that would suck to have happen. I'd deal better with losing a leg than losing an arm/hand even with prosthesis to replace it but even then my calves are the most defined muscles in my body due to riding and marching band in high school and I take a certain amount of pride in them as silly as that may sound. I'm that crazy backwards guy at the gym that skips arm day but never misses leg day.

You?

Old November 25th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post

You?
No but similar. I'm not as strong by any means, the general lower body fitness > upper body fitness is there though.

Old November 25th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #21
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
...my calves are the most defined muscles in my body due to riding and marching band in high school and I take a certain amount of pride in them as silly as that may sound.
Hah, I'm the same (for the same reason). My girlfriend likes it, too!

Old November 25th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:

You?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #23
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:
Those robot fingers exist, they're just super expensive

my dad thoroughly enjoys pointing out to me how good the prosthesis market is and how important it is for me to not lose my insurance so I can actually get said prosthesis.
that is weird and somewhat forward thinking... I like it

I have enjoyed watching m13. Sometimes he comes across as an asshole... still entertaining and he is a good guy. Sent some $

Old November 25th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #24
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

I looked at the scenery once, and almost ran a stop sign. Better to keep an eye on the road ahead.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #25
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I looked at the scenery once, and almost ran a stop sign. Better to keep an eye on the road ahead.
A lot of people don't realize that you really do steer towards what you're looking at. It's incredibly difficult to not to. Even true in a car.

Old November 25th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
A lot of people don't realize that you really do steer towards what you're looking at. It's incredibly difficult to not to. Even true in a car.
Through much repetition and training, the habit can be broken. I have seen it, just takes some "serious" effort.

Old November 25th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
looking where you want to go is a very useful method for teaching noobs how to snowboard and show the effects of target fixation.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #28
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Through much repetition and training, the habit can be broken. I have seen it, just takes some "serious" effort.
I don't see why you'd want to, though.

Old November 25th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #29
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Ever ride a bicycle?

Old November 25th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #30
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Ever ride a bicycle?
What are you saying?

Old November 25th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #31
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
What are you saying?
Maybe that was a little offensive, I'm sorry.

What I mean is that many people aren't familiar with counter steering and how it works, but pretty much everyone knows how to ride a bicycle. The thing is that you can't ride a bicycle if you don't know how to counter steer.

Edit: Maybe I didn't get what your point was. All I was saying it that when you countersteer you are turning away from what you're looking at.

Old November 25th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #32
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

What we're saying is that when you look over at that beautiful mountain on the left, you tend to drift into oncoming traffic. 'Cuz you tend to go where you look.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #33
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Maybe that was a little offensive, I'm sorry.

What I mean is that many people aren't familiar with counter steering and how it works, but pretty much everyone knows how to ride a bicycle. The thing is that you can't ride a bicycle if you don't know how to counter steer.

Edit: Maybe I didn't get what your point was. All I was saying it that when you countersteer you are turning away from what you're looking at.
I totally get you, dude. It pisses me off too when people say countersteering is a myth. But, like xorbe said, we were talking about the natural tendency to drift towards what you're looking at.

Old November 26th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I don't see why you'd want to, though.
Simply put... because target fixation is a bitch on a bike. And your eyes do not steer the bike, your hands/arms do. Riders with an above average skill can disconnect their eyes from their arms.

"The secret to vision is going where you look on purpose, instead of by accident." - csmith12

Old November 26th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #35
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
If you shaved off your moustache and pulled a not-amused face, that would pretty much be you!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 26th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

hahahahaha don't forget the hat!

Old November 26th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #37
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Sad to hear this. I watched a few of his videos when I was getting started and they definitely helped me.

Goes to show that no matter how good you are you can wreck.

Old November 26th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #38
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@csmith12: do you do the twisted-up, looking back while cornering hard, crazy-mad-skills, motorcycle instructor thing?

Old November 26th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #39
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
@csmith12: do you do the twisted-up, looking back while cornering hard, crazy-mad-skills, motorcycle instructor thing?
Imma say no... because I am modest like that. Maybe there is a pic floating around from one of my sessions doing that. If so, I haven't seen it.

"Officially" so far, I have done mostly novice coaching and only a few I group sessions. Most of the pics of me coaching look like the attached pic. Not much lean or anything but, my focus is not on me of course.

Next season when I do some more A/I group coaching, the photos will be more impressive, looking backward while having a knee down and such bla bla bla. If the photo guy doesn't catch me doing that, it's no biggy too... I am fine with that, it's not why I am out there doing what I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.a.jpg (18.7 KB, 120 views)

Old December 1st, 2014, 02:17 PM   #40
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13