Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 11th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
TurtleJuice
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Roald

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Should i buy it?

Hi guys

First time posting here after lerking around quite a bit.
Im looking at a 08 ninja. This bike has run a total of 2360 miles without a single service at a workshop Overall the bike havent been taken cared of at all. I immediately decided not to go for this bike when i first saw that he didnt wash it up before he displayed it. Im not even sure if he has ever refilled oil on this bike. As i pointed out all the wrong of this bike, he automatically bargained with himself to a lower price. And im sure i can bargain it to an even lower price. Im just curious if this bike is doomed? It runned well and idle'd well when i drove it. He is the first owner of this bike, and a total idiot for not taking care of it properly.

Is the bike worth it if the price is right? I live in Norway, prices here are incomparable to American prices.
TurtleJuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I would. Those miles are nothing. Just get it serviced or at least change the oil when you get it.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Roald.

Ouch... no changes at all???? Tread lightly sir... If you get a ridiculous deal, maybe it can be worth it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
It should be fine, I know a guy did that to his bike, he just changes the oil, and so far it's fine besides the fact his chain is loose

Welcome to the forum
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Price seems right to me.

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleJuice View Post
..........Im just curious if this bike is doomed?...........
Welcome to the site and to the world of motorcycling, Roald !!!

You need to closely check for permanent damage to the engine due to neglected valve adjustment and oil level:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

If it has problems, it should not be your first bike.
You want to learn to ride, not to fix others' mistakes.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

2300 miles on it ? its fine change the oil and ride.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #8
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'd be worried about skipping the break in oil change. I doubt valves would need adjusting at 2.3k miles but who knows
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #9
TurtleJuice
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for reply guys. I havent told the whole story about this bike yet. Gas tank cap is stuck, so is the rear lock. Right handle is bent (he offered to change this before selling), gear pedal is broken (offered to change this too), rusted chain, large scrath on gas tank. Bike has never been crashed or dropped in speed, only when parked. There are probably other things i couldn't put my finger on, but i think i got the most of it. Im aware that these are minor flaws, but im still the one who needs to deal with this later on.

I really want the bike though, what an awesome bike to drive!

Old May 12th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #10
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Price seems right to me.
I read the original post like 10 times thinking I missed the price or something. You master troll you....

Quote:
Thanks for reply guys. I havent told the whole story about this bike yet. Gas tank cap is stuck, so is the rear lock. Right handle is bent (he offered to change this before selling), gear pedal is broken (offered to change this too), rusted chain, large scrath on gas tank. Bike has never been crashed or dropped in speed, only when parked. There are probably other things i couldn't put my finger on, but i think i got the most of it. Im aware that these are minor flaws, but im still the one who needs to deal with this later on.

I really want the bike though, what an awesome bike to drive!
With all that and 0 maintenance, I'd offer $1,000 for it 'as is' (note, a well kept 250r with that many miles in my area would sell for $3,000ish during riding season).

No oil change after break in seems extremely risky for the longevity of that engine... Judging by the lack of F's giving else where, it might not be a reliable bike and might have a heap of hidden costs. To compensate for those risks... he shouldn't be able to get much from it. Try to run then VIN to see if it was in any accidents. One who doesn't care care of a motorcycle doesn't rub off as a trustworthy person in my book. Here's something else to consider. Find out why the gas cap and rear lock is stuck". This might be a stolen bike with a swapped ignition. "Stuck" might just be another word of his for wrong key.

IF you buy it, check the following:
If the bike has been sitting for a while, don't use any gas that might be in the tank
For the love of all that is holy, change the oil!
Check tires as I'm sure they are in awful shape
Double check the sprockets as they might need replacing
Attempt to the clean the chain as best you can to ensure no damage.
Spray the 'stuck' locks with some WD40 to see if they might just be rusted shut.
Check the carbs to see if they need to be cleaned.

If it comes down to it, a new shift lever should be under $20 on Ebay. An aftermarket key-less gas cap should be under $100. The rear lock might be more tricky and could cause problems if you ever needed to access the area under the cowl... so you might just spend about $100 to replace all 3 locks (ignition, gas, and cowl).
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Thanks for reply guys..........Bike has never been crashed or dropped in speed, only when parked.......I really want the bike though.........
You are welcome

That seems to be one of maybe many manipulations of facts: handlebars and gear pedals don't get bent or broken at zero speed falls.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

You will buy the bike then, ..........or what remains of an awesome bike.
Consider that will take unforeseeable amount of time and moneys to retrofit it to what you want it to be.

Best !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #12
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'd pass on it. Seems like someone really didn't care about it, you don't want to try and clean up their mess while trying to learn anyways.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #13
TurtleJuice
ninjette.org newbie

Tough decision. I can get this bike at a ridicolous price now, but told him that i am in no hurry. Anyway, i have been drooling over a bandit for a few weeks and decided that im going to go for this bike unless someone bids over me. I know i can bargain the ninja even more though, but something seems abit off with it. The seller seemed high when we met, and i know he an addict on some substances (not hating on those who are addicts). I know these are all bad signs, but i might get the bike cheap after all repairs...

Old May 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Tough decision. I can get this bike at a ridicolous price now, but told him that i am in no hurry. Anyway, i have been drooling over a bandit for a few weeks and decided that im going to go for this bike unless someone bids over me. I know i can bargain the ninja even more though, but something seems abit off with it. The seller seemed high when we met, and i know he an addict on some substances (not hating on those who are addicts). I know these are all bad signs, but i might get the bike cheap after all repairs...
See if he'll do $500 and a bag of oregano.