ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 5th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #121
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

im about to try this on mine.. so if im understanding this correctly, to do the shims just pull the black cap off the carb and the needle just pulls right out of the carb? then just slide 2 washers on and reinstall, repeat for other one? im at sea level with stock exhaust, so 2 shims would be about right for my setup with snorkel removed?
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #122
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
im about to try this on mine.. so if im understanding this correctly, to do the shims just pull the black cap off the carb and the needle just pulls right out of the carb? then just slide 2 washers on and reinstall, repeat for other one? im at sea level with stock exhaust, so 2 shims would be about right for my setup with snorkel removed?
the needle doesn't just pull out...you'll see it sitting in there and then use some tweezers to grab its head and pull it out. then put the two washers with a little bit of vaseline so they stick and don't fall into the carb when you put the needle back in.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #123
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

yeah i got it.. went to radioshack and picked up the washers and tore it all apart.. makes a noticeable difference , nice mod!
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #124
bettysmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ex250 (Blue)

Hey Kkim, would you be able to upload the pictures again? I'm looking to do this mod in a few days and while I'm sure I could manage without them, I love to get a look at things before doing it.
bettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #125
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettysmith View Post
Hey Kkim, would you be able to upload the pictures again? I'm looking to do this mod in a few days and while I'm sure I could manage without them, I love to get a look at things before doing it.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...0&postcount=77
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #126
bettysmith
ninjette.org member

Ah! Thank you much.

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #127
kkim

have you/are you going to shim your needles or install a jet kit?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM   #128
bettysmith
ninjette.org member

The plan is to shim my needles with two washers each.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #129
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

reviving this thread, instead of making a whole new topic.. as my question pertains to this exact topic.

After removing snorkel (no, I did not shim (yet)... if it even needs it?)
I am feeling a lot more heat on my inner thigh coming directly from that area.
Is that normal?

Also how exactly do I tell if I need to shim my needles?
I see no signs of it running rich or lean now (seemed a bit rich to begin with). http://www.ninja250forum.com/forum/i...p?topic=3784.0
Bike seems to run great now, power kicks in about 4-4.5k rpm and pulls harder throughout all gears. Idle to warm up now is smoother, needs 0 choke and ready to take off in >2 mins.

The snorkel only seems to restrict a minimal amount of air from the 3" hole (there's only a small thin piece of rubber seperating it in to 2 'ports').
It's seems more of it's purpose then would be to direct where the air comes in from.?.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM   #130
ejlover
ninjette.org member

Name: Ugur

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2011

How About FI Bikes?

I also have a Fuel Injected 2011 Ninja250R. What will happen if I remove the snorkel?

As long as I know it won't have a negative effect, because ECU controls the amount of air needed. It may only help to get the needed amount easier when needed. Right?

And removing the snorkel would result in water to get into the box? It may be dangerous..

Thanks
ejlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM   #131
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
As for water, general consensus is no, it won't get in.

I'm pretty sure the ECU controls the amount of fuel going into the cylinders, not the air at all. It just measures the temp of the air.

As for actually removing the snorkel, someone did it. I believe it's earlier in the thread, but i might be wrong.

let me search a little for it here...

*edit*
so apparently I was thinking about the Kleen Air system removal. Someone did a DIY on how to do that with an EFI 250R.
If you want to do it to your EFI ninja, do it. The mix might be rich enough that the snorkel removal will lean it out. The mix might be so spot on that taking off the snorkel makes it too lean. I really don't know. Try it. The worst thing that happens is you would have to put the snorkel back on, or get a powercommander. Only way you'll know if it works is if someone tries and posts up with results.
*/edit*
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:14 AM   #132
ejlover
ninjette.org member

Name: Ugur

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
As for water, general consensus is no, it won't get in.

I'm pretty sure the ECU controls the amount of fuel going into the cylinders, not the air at all. It just measures the temp of the air.

As for actually removing the snorkel, someone did it. I believe it's earlier in the thread, but i might be wrong.

let me search a little for it here...

*edit*
so apparently I was thinking about the Kleen Air system removal. Someone did a DIY on how to do that with an EFI 250R.
If you want to do it to your EFI ninja, do it. The mix might be rich enough that the snorkel removal will lean it out. The mix might be so spot on that taking off the snorkel makes it too lean. I really don't know. Try it. The worst thing that happens is you would have to put the snorkel back on, or get a powercommander. Only way you'll know if it works is if someone tries and posts up with results.
*/edit*
Yeah I also couldn't find it Okey then I think I'll be the one who will test and share results I'll post back the results soon. Thanks.
ejlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM   #133
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Name: Roman

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r (2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover View Post
Yeah I also couldn't find it Okey then I think I'll be the one who will test and share results I'll post back the results soon. Thanks.
Please post your results as I'm interested in trying this too on my EFI ninja 250R
hackeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:17 AM   #134
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@hackeron

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94920

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #135
trevor_shiggs
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I removed my snorkel today. When snapping the throttle from around 4000 RPM it seems like its bogging and will pick up slightly as I roll off the throttle. Noticed most in fifth and sixth. I don't remember it doing this before. I have a dan moto slip on and two washers under the needles. I am thinking I need to add a third? I tried putting the snorkel back in but that was a PITA. My air filter is pretty dirty too so I will be cleaning that tomorrow. I will measure the thickness of the washers tomorrow, I need to bring my micrometer home. I was also thinking about drilling my slides while I am adding another washer. Would you say that I need to add another washer? And should I do my slides while I am in there? Thanks

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #136
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_shiggs View Post
I removed my snorkel today. When snapping the throttle from around 4000 RPM it seems like its bogging and will pick up slightly as I roll off the throttle. Noticed most in fifth and sixth. I don't remember it doing this before. I have a dan moto slip on and two washers under the needles. I am thinking I need to add a third? I tried putting the snorkel back in but that was a PITA. My air filter is pretty dirty too so I will be cleaning that tomorrow. I will measure the thickness of the washers tomorrow, I need to bring my micrometer home. I was also thinking about drilling my slides while I am adding another washer. Would you say that I need to add another washer? And should I do my slides while I am in there? Thanks
I have the same setup essentially, except I removed 1 washer after removing the snorkel - so the needles are only shimmed with 1 washer, and I don't really notice any problems.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM   #137
aShifty
ninjette.org member

Name: Armin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Hmmm. so is their a place i can learn about shimming needles or whatever needs to be done so it doesnt run lean. im interested in doing this mod in the future is why im asking. I learned about carburetors but it was about a year ago and i thought it was pointless cuz FI... (stupid stupid stupid me. look at me now.)

Nvm! I found the link in the DIY section a out shimming. Ima read up on it!

Last futzed with by aShifty; July 22nd, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
aShifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM   #138
kawaninja09
ninjette.org member

Name: derek

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r ninja

so i was wondering if you install a K&n high flow air filter should you remove the snorkel since the filter already increases air flow? thinking about shimming the needles i have a mpg growler slip on muffler with a k&n air filter and wanted to shimm to make sure im not running to lean. So my next question is how many washers should i start off with to see where i need to be
kawaninja09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #139
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@kawaninja09

Remove snorkel or else that K&N won't do squat.

Try 2 washers, see how it feels and go from there. If I were you, I would first test a pair of Keihin 100 main jets to see if the top end improves or not. No reason to not double check that you have the right size main jets when the main jets are cheap.

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #140
kawaninja09
ninjette.org member

Name: derek

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r ninja

thank you so much for the info i found a mech. thats gonna jet the carbs for me and make sure it set up with the right ratios. but ill probally remove the snorkel when i put the filter in.
kawaninja09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #141
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Sportster XL1200C

Pleanty of information on this forum...I am glad I joined.

I will also be doing some mods this weekend. At 3800 ft altitude with dry dusty conditions, 30-40s mornings and 60-70s afternoons, the bike has a slight hiccup on takeoff and great top end when cold. Once at operating temperature, the bottom end smooths out and the top end seems to be a little more limited than when cold.

Starting with a shim, and maybe later with the snorkel.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #142
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

as an information about the 250R-EFI some guys in Germany removed their snorkel and had to put it back on because the bikes were running like s**t.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #143
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Did they change their fuel maps? If not, it's not surprising they ran like crap.

Leo Vince suggests modifying the air box on the EFI bikes with a pair of 50mm diameter holes, along with using their exhaust system and piggyback ECU.

I know my bike runs well with a K&N pod filter and longer runners from the pod to the TB's
Attached Images
File Type: png leo vince airbox holes.png (643.1 KB, 3 views)

Old November 29th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #144
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

So I took off my snorkel at lunch today and tested it out. At 65 degrees and virtually zero humidity, the top end seemed like heaven...though the bottom end seemed to hesitate a little more than usual, kind of like a turbo spooling up. I'll be shimming this weekend. Love the throaty sound now.

Old December 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM   #145
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

Snorkel off really leaned out the lower end all the way up to about 6k rpm. I could hear the engine really struggling below 6k rpm at any speed. Once I would get to highway speeds, everything was great, just getting there felt like I was hauling a trailer behind.

Today I installed two washers under each needle. Started it up and it needed a little choke, but not much and definitely not as long. I'll be getting on it soon to see where I am at on tuning.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM   #146
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

The past two days since the shimming and snorkel removal have been amazing. Response is smoother and virtually immediate with throttle opening. Power lasts all the way to the top of the rev range. I am gonna ride these mods for a while until I decide where I want to go next with it.

Old May 9th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #147
dbznatic
Shenron

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Thank you so much for this! I had the needles shimmed and with the slip on its running and idling PERFECT now with the snorkel gone. It was running good before, but now the air/fuel ratio is perfect! Got a nice little extra pull after about 4-5 grand too! Thanks a bunch!
dbznatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #148
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I've got my filter out to clean it, soaked it in petrol then washed it out with water and dish soap.

I may do this when I pop it back in!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #149
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I loved the clean air filter, the bike idled better, had better throttle response, more pull from the low end, it jus ran better, moreover how it should run.

So, I popped out the snorkle, performance wasn't noticably changed, maybe worse, I think for the extra noise my brain can't understand why that doesn't make it faster so it feels slower, but from clock watching it seems to be a tad faster.

What I liked, the noise, you slam the throttle wide open from 4krpm, and it BARKS! Took me back the first time I did it, I even made some german tourists just a bloody mile by doing it as I rode past, I guess the extra combustion takes a few seconds to spin the engine to where it wants to be and it creates a pressure in the air box making it woof, but it was nice.

What I didn't like was the extra noise, seemed excessive, I would want to wear plugs if I did this, and I don't.

What I observed, performance, maybe a little, no more popping of unburnt fuel on deceleration this just didn't happen so I guess it's now fully lean, although it didn't run any hotter from the temp gauge, if anything slightly cooler.

As always, YMMV, this is applicable to the fuel injected version, carbed bikes will perform slightly differently.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #150
20Ninja09
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tad

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

What is shimming? And where and what are you doing it too? I just got a 2009 ninja 250R with a two brothers exhaust. Id like to remove the snorkel but only if its not going to eff up the bike
20Ninja09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:21 PM   #151
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Ninja09 View Post
What is shimming? And where and what are you doing it too? I just got a 2009 ninja 250R with a two brothers exhaust. Id like to remove the snorkel but only if its not going to eff up the bike
This is shimming.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:10 PM   #152
20Ninja09
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tad

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Lol no dont believe that is
20Ninja09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #153
JosueDG
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawi Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
LMFAO!
JosueDG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #154
EVINRUDE
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Update: it is very easy to remove/install the snorkel with the battery and battery box removed. Running a GIVI case on the rear seat and didn't want to remove it and the mount. Did some investigating and there is enough room with the battery & box removed to have a party in there. 5 min max out or in.
I had everything else removed to do the valve check.
EVINRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #155
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

thanks for the write up!! this is on my list to do.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #156
erikhortsch
ninjette.org newbie

Name: erik

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 6, ninja 250

would removing the snorkel without any other modifications help for high altitude riding? sounds like this might be a quick solution instead of rejetting to ride pikes peak and mt evans
erikhortsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #157
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

It won't help much and might actually be detrimental. Removing the snorkel only gets a little bit more air in and isn't a substitute for proper jetting.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #158
erikhortsch
ninjette.org newbie

Name: erik

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 6, ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
It won't help much and might actually be detrimental. Removing the snorkel only gets a little bit more air in and isn't a substitute for proper jetting.
i've never been exposed to altitude situations before but logic says that removing the snorkel to encourage more air is nothing but helpful. any help on why it may be a bad thing?

thanks
erikhortsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #159
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhortsch View Post
i've never been exposed to altitude situations before but logic says that removing the snorkel to encourage more air is nothing but helpful. any help on why it may be a bad thing?

thanks
I am not sure what year of 250 you have, but these bikes run pretty lean out of the box. Allowing more air without enriching the mix isn't on the plus side of things. However, many have had good results from a snorkel delete along with needle shims. YMMV due to altitude. Do a search for "jetting database", it should yield some helpful info.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #160
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhortsch View Post
would removing the snorkel without any other modifications help for high altitude riding? sounds like this might be a quick solution instead of rejetting to ride pikes peak and mt evans
I live near sea level, so I don't know. Still, I don't think that just removing the snorkel would be of much help.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote